Author Topic: A Question For Chick  (Read 3412 times)

peroni

• Getbig III
A Question For Chick
« on: July 14, 2009, 07:12:32 AM »
Just curious about your training. I read you had stated you preferred to use machines and/or dumbbells as opposed to free weights while targeting certain muscle groups such as pectorals, but what I'm curious to know was your approach to reps. Was it failure, 6-8, 12-15, varied? What was the thought process behind the design of what were doing? Obviously to build muscle mass, but did you feel you were catering to more fast twitch, etc. That kind of thing.

Thanks in advance for your time

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: A Question For Chick
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
What the article actually stated, was that machines were a geat alternative to free weights and that BOTH should be incorperated into a routine.  That free weights were fine, but shouldnt be used exclusively either...

As for reps, I always used 10-12...just felt for me, that they worked best and kept the weight light enough for a blood volume style training

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »
I'm assuming by blood volume training, you're referring to high enough reps (in your case 10-12) with light enough weights that would induce the most pump possible as opposed to seeing how strong you are at every turn type training.
When you got to rep 10 or 12, whichever, was that a failure point or a preplanned stopping point?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 11:15:55 AM »
I'm assuming by blood volume training, you're referring to high enough reps (in your case 10-12) with light enough weights that would induce the most pump possible as opposed to seeing how strong you are at every turn type training.
When you got to rep 10 or 12, whichever, was that a failure point or a preplanned stopping point?

I tried training to failure for a short time...cant say I liked it enough to continue.

whatever the reps were, the weight was coordinated to be heavy enough for the set amount....if 13-14 reps were attainable...then the weight was increased

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 11:19:23 AM »
I tried training to failure for a short time...cant say I liked it enough to continue.

whatever the reps were, the weight was coordinated to be heavy enough for the set amount....if 13-14 reps were attainable...then the weight was increased

How much would you want to get into the cage with Lesnar?

spinnis

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:56 AM »

;D ;D

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 11:22:11 AM »

Bob Chicerillo clearly stated in an August 2003 article of Flex magazine that he is not a fighter.

This is not a possibility.

BanksMcgee

• Getbig II
  • The Mighty Ducks Didn't let Emilio Estevez down!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 11:38:36 AM »
Bob Chicerillo clearly stated in an August 2003 article of Flex magazine that he is not a fighter.

This is not a possibility.

I didn't know Chic had groupys ;D
-BM

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:51:31 AM »
I didn't know Chic had groupys ;D

ask the guys from the Mirage Hotel

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 01:05:14 PM »
ask the guys from the Mirage Hotel
room 7 by the ice machine ;D

seriously, chick do you use supersets at all?
A

pellius

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith Jones aka OnlyMe/NoWorries. 1/10/2011
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »

So you didn't believe in taking a set to the point where another rep was possible. So when did you terminate a set? Was just purely by feel or just reaching a predetermined amount of reps?

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 03:10:01 PM »
So you didn't believe in taking a set to the point where another rep was possible. So when did you terminate a set? Was just purely by feel or just reaching a predetermined amount of reps?

Pavel Tsouline believes that you should never ever go to failure in ANY set at any time. He believes (if I remember correctly) that it will train the body and mind to fail at that exercise, set, rep scheme- to fail every time.
I tend to follow his approach a majority of the time, but every now and again (maybe every 4th workout per part) I'll go to failure on whatever exercise I can. I like to leave a rep in the tank, for the most part, and once it gets hard and I'm not so sure I'll get the next rep, I terminate the set.
And no, I'm not Bob C! :P

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 03:43:00 PM »

Then why did you type out a lengthy response to a question directed at him? We don't care what you do.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:06 PM »
What the article actually stated, was that machines were a geat alternative to free weights and that BOTH should be incorperated into a routine.  That free weights were fine, but shouldnt be used exclusively either...

As for reps, I always used 10-12...just felt for me, that they worked best and kept the weight light enough for a blood volume style training

already answered it

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 04:22:07 PM »
bob
hello
can u list for me a weeks worth of shock the muscle type workouts using machines and free weights??

plz!!!
w

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »
Chick, is your video series on the way to the masters (where you train at gold's , Venice) still available to watch online?! you give some great tips there, I've used a number of them successfully..thanks, vid's like that are 100 times better then anything ronnie or branch can put out that just shows them heaving and lifting. You actually went to the trouble of explaining the movements and angles. Very informative!

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 04:39:12 PM »
Chick, is your video series on the way to the masters (where you train at gold's , Venice) still available to watch online?! you give some great tips there, I've used a number of them successfully..thanks, vid's like that are 100 times better then anything ronnie or branch can put out that just shows them heaving and lifting. You actually went to the trouble of explaining the movements and angles. Very informative!

I believe you can still view them at BB.com

Thanks for the props

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 05:06:12 PM »
bob
hello
can u list for me a weeks worth of shock the muscle type workouts using machines and free weights??

plz!!!
u missed my question so i bumped it for u
thanx
w

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 05:17:35 PM »
u missed my question so i bumped it for u
thanx

I saw it

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 05:24:49 PM »
Pavel Tsouline believes that you should never ever go to failure in ANY set at any time. He believes (if I remember correctly) that it will train the body and mind to fail at that exercise, set, rep scheme- to fail every time.
I tend to follow his approach a majority of the time, but every now and again (maybe every 4th workout per part) I'll go to failure on whatever exercise I can. I like to leave a rep in the tank, for the most part, and once it gets hard and I'm not so sure I'll get the next rep, I terminate the set.
And no, I'm not Bob C! :P

I'm not sure if I believe that. What rep you fail at gives you a reference point for you next workout. Say you can do 8 reps at 275 on the bench, failing on the 9th. Then the next time you bench you can now set a goal to surpass your previous performance, in this case, trying to do more than 8 reps. This also provides some feed back as to how your training is going because say in the next workout you only get 7 reps and same with the next workout, i.e., you're not progressing or actually getting weaker, then you know something is wrong -- over training, diet not in check, not getting enough sleep, etc.

Arthur Jones use to say that always working within your functional ability, i.e., performing something that you can already do, will do little or nothing to stimulate an adaptive response. You must, as Jones' put it, attempt the momentary impossible. Say you can do 8 pull ups never attempting a 9th rep, it doesn't send a signal to your body that it has to adapt.

Arthur Jones is not to be taken lightly.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2009, 05:31:30 PM »
I'm not sure if I believe that. What rep you fail at gives you a reference point for you next workout. Say you can do 8 reps at 275 on the bench, failing on the 9th. Then the next time you bench you can now set a goal to surpass your previous performance, in this case, trying to do more than 8 reps. This also provides some feed back as to how your training is going because say in the next workout you only get 7 reps and same with the next workout, i.e., you're not progressing or actually getting weaker, then you know something is wrong -- over training, diet not in check, not getting enough sleep, etc.

Arthur Jones use to say that always working within your functional ability, i.e., performing something that you can already do, will do little or nothing to stimulate an adaptive response. You must, as Jones' put it, attempt the momentary impossible. Say you can do 8 pull ups never attempting a 9th rep, it doesn't send a signal to your body that it has to adapt.

Arthur Jones had no practical knowledge...just theories.

There are literally hundreds of pro's over the years who have disproven the above...including myself

You want advice on how to become a millionaire?  Talk to someone with a million dollars...

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »

Arthur Jones had no practical knowledge...just theories.

There are literally hundreds of pro's over the years who have disproven the above...including myself

You want advice on how to become a millionaire?  Talk to someone with a million dollars...

Dare you question the great Arthur Jones! You realize of course that he has killed for less than that. Be thankful that he is no longer amongst the living though he could be responsible for channeling the always despicable Hank Wood to torment you.

pellius

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2009, 05:47:40 PM »
Ready to step on stage right here.

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »
w

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:52 PM »

I would very much agree with this in relation to strength training.  That is how you get stronger.  May not bring the most hypertrophy though.  Thing is you need to be able to move a decent amount of weight regardless, if you wanna get truly big.  Bob is using pro BBs as an example, you can bet comming up through the ranks, building the foundation they have, they trained their asses off and pushed to failure often.