Author Topic: Earthquake and Tsunami warning in New Zealand  (Read 2321 times)

Tatyana

• Getbig III
Earthquake and Tsunami warning in New Zealand
« on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:53 AM »
There was an earthquake registering 7.8 off the South coast of the South Island yesterday morning, and another smaller one an hour ago.

I don't know if any of the Kiwis on this site live in this area, but it may be tsunami city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/5833848/Tsunami-warning-in-New-Zealand-after-undersea-earthquake.html

Tsunami warning in New Zealand after undersea earthquake

Civil defence officials in New Zealand have issued a tsunami warning after an underwater earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale.

By Paul Chapman in Wellington
Published: 12:26PM BST 15 Jul 2009

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii said the earthquake in the seabed, 100 miles west of New Zealand's South Island city of Invercargill, "has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicentre within minutes or hours".

Whether the earthquake, which struck at 0922 Wednesday GMT, had actually generated a tsunami was not known. But the Centre issued a warning based on evaluation of the seismic event.

Civil defence emergency procedures were activated in Southland, New Zealand's most southerly region, and coastal residents were asked to stay tuned to their radios.

The earthquake's power makes it one of the largest in the world this year, compounded by the fact that its focal depth was less than five miles below the earth's surface.

An aftershock measuring 6.1 on the Richter scale struck about 20 minutes later.

The quake was felt strongly by residents in Dunedin, Invercargill and the ski resort of Queenstown. It was also felt as far away as Wellington in North Island.

People ran from restaurants in Queenstown as buildings shook, and lights and phone lines went down.

Simon Darby told the New Zealand Herald that a rumble in the ground led him to run outside his house in the lakeside town of Wanaka.

"It must have lasted about two and a half minutes. I lived in Tokyo for three years so I know what large quakes are like. This was easily the longest and biggest I have ever felt."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Earthquake and Tsunami warning in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:56:15 AM »
Losing your home in a tsunami would suck

getbig105

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 07:57:05 AM »
There was an earthquake registering 7.8 off the South coast of the South Island yesterday morning, and another smaller one an hour ago.

I don't know if any of the Kiwis on this site live in this area, but it may be tsunami city.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/newzealand/5833848/Tsunami-warning-in-New-Zealand-after-undersea-earthquake.html

Civil defence officials in New Zealand have issued a tsunami warning after an underwater earthquake measuring 7.8 on the Richter scale.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Centre in Hawaii said the earthquake in the seabed, 100 miles west of New Zealand's South Island city of Invercargill, "has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines in the region near the epicentre within minutes or hours".

Whether the earthquake, which struck at 0922 Wednesday GMT, had actually generated a tsunami was not known. But the Centre issued a warning based on evaluation of the seismic event.

Civil defence emergency procedures were activated in Southland, New Zealand's most southerly region, and coastal residents were asked to stay tuned to their radios.

The earthquake's power makes it one of the largest in the world this year, compounded by the fact that its focal depth was less than five miles below the earth's surface.

The quake was felt strongly by residents in Dunedin, Invercargill and the ski resort of Queenstown. It was also felt as far away as Wellington in North Island.

People ran from restaurants in Queenstown as buildings shook, and lights and phone lines went down.

Simon Darby told the New Zealand Herald that a rumble in the ground led him to run outside his house in the lakeside town of Wanaka.

"It must have lasted about two and a half minutes. I lived in Tokyo for three years so I know what large quakes are like. This was easily the longest and biggest I have ever felt."

hey, sweetie, where have you been these days?  ;D ;D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 08:58:40 AM »
thanks for the great info

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:04 AM »

Those were the only two lines I read

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 09:02:55 AM »
Those were the only two lines I read

I noticed that bit as well.

:)

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:03:15 PM »
Bump to check if the Kiwis are alive.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 04:04:56 PM »
how about a JTsunami warning?
Deep Tissue Massage

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 04:28:12 PM »
PIP Kiwi. One of the funniest posters to grace Getbig. I'll miss him.  :-\

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:35:25 PM »
Bump to check if the Kiwis are alive.

That's very sweet, but the only 3 guys from NZ here (NZMM, WillGrant and myself) are all in the North Island, which wasn't really affected in any way. NZ is in Wellington, so he may have felt something, but I confess I knew nothing about it until I saw your thread earlier this morning ;D

PIP Kiwi. One of the funniest posters to grace Getbig. I'll miss him.  :-\

You aren't exactly devoid of wit yourself, you simian stud.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:38:21 PM »
New Zealand is home to some getbig men with muscles.......
No doubt about it...

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:49:14 PM »
Felt the aftershock quake that was 6.6 centred around Bulls , which is in the lower west of the north island..

Kiwi , fuk this winter has been the worst in Years  :'( Whats it been like north of the Bombays?

Tatyana ,Im still waiting on your nude pics  :D :P

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 10:10:19 PM »
poor Kiwis :'(
A

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 10:11:20 PM »
Felt the aftershock quake that was 6.6 centred around Bulls , which is in the lower west of the north island..

Kiwi , fuk this winter has been the worst in Years  :'( Whats it been like north of the Bombays?

It's pretty mild here, but I always complain about how it's never cold enough. If Invercargill was as developed and populated as Auckland, I'd move there in a jiffy. Hope the temperature drops some more here. Love the winter.

Tatyana

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 10:25:55 PM »

I don't do naked.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 11:22:00 PM »
The space shuttle just went up today and there is tons of machinery(infrastructure) being moved all around the States...Its like they are really getting ready for some major event to happen...My best guess is California which is losing Billions of dollars is going to take a the massive hit people have been predicting...I think the space shuttle is up there to put in place and/or do the deed in the form of HAARP weapons...Hilary Clinton's comments about Iran seem to also fit right into place also...California is a fucking mess and what a perfect way to get out of it...Google HAARP weapons...

www.HAARP.net

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 11:33:50 PM »

back to the old "copy and paste" habit, Adonix?  ::) ::)

Dr Kincaid

• Getbig III
  • Ice machine broken
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 11:46:56 PM »
Sydney ocean looks really wierd and scarey.Have never seen it look like this.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2009, 12:03:18 AM »
Sydney ocean looks really wierd and scarey.Have never seen it look like this.

Mel Gibson was right...When the space shuttle goes up, bad shit happens... :-\

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2009, 12:04:47 AM »
Mel Gibson was right...When the space shuttle goes up, bad shit happens... :-\

ahahahha, did he really say that??

We shouldn't disturb the aliens, maybe they don't like it when we fly into space.  ;D ;D

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2009, 12:58:41 AM »
I almost died for you bitches.
P

kawaks

• Getbig III
  • My Two Cents
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2009, 01:04:29 AM »

Yeah, it hit Australian shores as a 'massive' 20 centimeter wave.

Roll over doggy, no action here...

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2009, 01:14:30 AM »
how about a JTsunami warning?

I'd rather endure a real tsunami and struggle to survive...  :-X

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2009, 02:56:50 AM »
I don't do naked.

Oh fully clothed , you kinky nymph , leaves more to the imagination , im cool with that  ;)  :P :D

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2009, 03:01:18 AM »
Tittyyama are you prepared for a bukkake tsunami?