Author Topic: British Bulldogs Thread:  (Read 182872 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: British Bulldogs Thread:
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2009, 04:43:03 AM »
One of the biggest criticisms regarding Davey is that he was always more of a follower in the ring - never much of a leader.

Here’s a match from the program he worked with the Warlord back in the early 90’s. I think it shows Davey’s ability to adapt to his opponents’ strengths AND weaknesses. And being that Smith was the more experienced & talented of the two, I would attribute more of the match's success rate to him than Warlord (sorry, W).

Warlord was an impressive physical spectacle, but he had some obvious limitations in the ring. Davey worked with both to partake in what I thought was a pretty good match.
Besides, if their chemistry was that bad, Vince would have shit-canned the angle well before WM.

Davey boy smith was one of the very few wrestlers that was big and muscular and could also wrestle soundly.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »
A very young Davey Boy vs. Fit Finlay:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2009, 04:30:23 AM »
Some good footage there Mont.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2009, 05:34:29 AM »
I'm a total mark for the Bulldogs (duh), but I always enjoy watching some good, alternative wrestling - be it from a different time and/or place.

As you know, both cousins came up essentially the same way in U.K. wrestling – Ted Betley, Max Crabtree, etc...
You can certainly see shades of Davey’s later work in this match.

Finlay's no slouch, either.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2009, 07:43:23 AM »
I'm a total mark for the Bulldogs (duh), but I always enjoy watching some good, alternative wrestling - be it from a different time and/or place.

As you know, both cousins came up essentially the same way in U.K. wrestling – Ted Betley, Max Crabtree, etc...

Finley is a great wrestler. Very good ground technichian.

You'll never be upset with a bulldogs match.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 07:45:05 AM »

Finley is a great wrestler. Very good ground technichian.

You'll never be upset with a bulldogs match.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: October 24, 2009, 09:42:21 AM »
Damn…
Look how young Taker looks here – 1991, shortly after his WWF debut.
Even though not a clean JOB, Davey was still pretty much “fed” to Taker throughout much of the match.
Never really thought of either of the Bulldogs as enhancement talent, but I believe this was shortly before Davey's first WCW departure.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »
Did any of you guys see a match in WCW with Finlay and Regal where they wrestled part of it outside, on a car, etc...?  That match was incredible, but of course it got little to nothing for them during that time in WCW.  I would love to find a vid of it, but haven't yet.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: October 26, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
How dare you derail my Bulldog thread, you stupid, little jabroni.

Anyway, here:

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 04:47:11 AM »
How dare you derail my Bulldog thread, you stupid, little jabroni.

haha, sorry about that.....but hey, I got what I wanted.  Thanks!

Awesome match.  That was so out of character for WCW at the time.  Two favorite moments are Regals elbow drop on the truck hood.  And the piledriver at the end.  Plus the punches were so stiff. 

Fav comment by Hennan....."He's outta gas!" at the finish.  haha

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2009, 05:36:35 AM »
Damn…
Look how young Taker looks here – 1991, shortly after his WWF debut.
Even though not a clean JOB, Davey was still pretty much “fed” to Taker throughout much of the match.
Never really thought of either of the Bulldogs as enhancement talent, but I believe this was shortly before Davey's first WCW departure.

ya, Taker was pretty young back then He's definately been around for a while. Davey Boy Smith IMO could have been yused much better then what he was.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2009, 11:03:16 AM »
haha, sorry about that.....but hey, I got what I wanted.  Thanks!

:)

ya, Taker was pretty young back then He's definately been around for a while. Davey Boy Smith IMO could have been yused much better then what he was.

I was always surprised he never had a HW championship run – at least as a “transitional” champion.

Back then, an I.C. win was often a precursor to getting the big strap (there were a few exceptions like Tito Santanna & Steamboat).

Davey proved he could work both sides as a heel & baby face.
I’m disappointed it never happened.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: November 20, 2009, 04:09:44 PM »
Here’s a clip from Stampede Wrestling some time after the Bulldogs’ only WWF run as a tag team:

And here’s why they seldom gave Dynamite a mic:

Calling someone a “test tube baby” is some of the meanest, dirtiest fightin’ words I’ve ever heard used anywhere.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »
From the Wrestling Classic:

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: November 30, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Davey – World of Sport / 2-80:

Davey – Return to WWF / 10-90:

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #90 on: November 30, 2009, 08:50:21 PM »
I remember when Dynamite Kid first came to the WWF. He was in a tag team with Bret Hart. At the time, had you told me Bret would be the one who would go on to be the bigger star, I would've said you were nuts. Bret was so non-descript; whereas Dynamite was the most exciting in-ring performer I had ever seen.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: December 01, 2009, 02:21:43 AM »
I know exactly what you mean.

Dynamite was incredible, but ascertive - and often a stubborn bully who was difficult to do business with - whether you were another wrestler or the promoter.

Bret was a cooperator, and improved tremendously throughout his tenure.
And even though he got "screwed" in the end, he was rewarded for his work ethic, performance, and loyalty for a lot of years in which Vince took pretty good care of him.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: December 01, 2009, 06:34:22 AM »
I know exactly what you mean.

Dynamite was incredible, but ascertive - and often a stubborn bully who was difficult to do business with - whether you were another wrestler or the promoter.

Bret was a cooperator, and improved tremendously throughout his tenure.
And even though he got "screwed" in the end, he was rewarded for his work ethic, performance, and loyalty for a lot of years in which Vince took pretty good care of him.
I remember back in 1989, Jauques Rougeau took a roll of quarters and sucker punched Dynamite as he walked by in the dressing room for an earlier dispute. He hit him four times and Dynamite would not go down. He remained on his feet. He was one tough SOB.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: December 01, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »
I remember back in 1989, Jauques Rougeau took a roll of quarters and sucker punched Dynamite as he walked by in the dressing room for an earlier dispute. He hit him four times and Dynamite would not go down. He remained on his feet. He was one tough SOB.

And Vince got a wood over it.

Tom has always questioned if Vince was in on at least part of JR's little number - particularly when Rougeau jumped him in front of Pat Patterson, who was standing right there.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »
And Vince got a wood over it.

Tom has always questioned if Vince was in on at least part of JR's little number - particularly when Rougeau jumped him in front of Pat Patterson, who was standing right there.
I always wondered that myself. Vince and Dynamite had heat after he hurt his back in hamilton as Vince wanted the bulldogs to drop the titles to Sheik & Volkoff (thank Christ that didn't happen) but Dynamite said FU and would only drop the titles to the Hart Foundation. Vince is very vindictive so who knows.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2009, 04:33:38 PM »
Remember when the old man sent Bret to try getting the tag belt from Dyno, and Tom refused?
Then Vince called him & said, “You were right to keep the belt, Tom ( ::) lie of the decade), but we’re running out of taped footage of you & Davey, and I’m gonna need those belts to be defended soon.”

So Vince didn’t want to have a tournament for vacant titles, but he was willing to give them to Sheik & Nikolai?  ???

From a story line standpoint, holding out for a job to the Hart Foundation was the best thing for the Bulldogs, HF, and the fans.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: December 03, 2009, 03:13:36 AM »
I would take HBK as h/w champ over Edge anyday.
JMO.

Anyway...

2 of the best workers:
This match – my favorite in their series – showcased HBK shortly before the start of his back problems that would happen just several months later.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2009, 04:48:09 AM »

I think maybe Shawn might have been the beginning of the loss of credibility for the Federation Championship? But HBK sure looked good holding that belt though.
He sure did. My favorite HBK matches:

HBK vs Mankind (In your house "Mind Games" PPV)
HBK vs Undertaker (both Hell in the Cell "bad blood" PPV & WM 25)
HBK vs Bret Hart (any match these two had was amazing as they clicked so well in the ring despite their anomisity toward eachother)
HBK vs Kurt Angle (WM match)
HBk vs Vince McMahon (WM street fight match) HBK made Vince (a non-wrestler) look incredible in that match. A feet that is very hard to do.
HBK vs Hogan (Summerslam match) Made the aged hulkster look incredible.
HBK vs British Bulldog (In your house PPV)
HBK vs Razor Ramone (WM 10 ladder match)
HBK vs Diesel (In your House street fight match)

Thats all I can think of now although there are probably tons more.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2009, 04:54:15 PM »
Bulldogs vs. Goulet & Rodz:

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2009, 12:05:25 AM »
I remember this match, what a time to be a wrestling fan. No one ever saw anything like the British Bulldogs during this time, especially Dynamite Kid. Great match too, Goulet and Rodz had some chemistry.

I have been saying this throughout this thread and I'll say it again. The British Bulldogs were the second best tag team of all time bar none. The only reason why they don't rank in at number 1 is because they didn't last as long as the Road Warriors (how could they with the way Dynamite wrestled). But I think they revolutionized the wrestling world almost almost as the Road Warriors did on a different level.