Author Topic: Govt. paid $1.50 p/lb for Ham under Stim Bill - Food Lion has it for .79 p/lb.  (Read 1759 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

SPENDING SCARED: WHITE HOUSE PUTS OFF RELEASE OF BUDGET UPDATE...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $2,531,600 FOR 'HAM, WATER ADDED, COOKED, FROZEN, SLICED, 2-LB'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,191,200 FOR '2 POUND FROZEN HAM SLICED'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $351,807 FOR 'REPLACE AND UPGRADE THE DUMBWAITER'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,562,568 FOR 'MOZZARELLA CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $5,708,260 FOR 'PROCESS CHEESE'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $16,784,272 FOR 'CANNED PORK'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $1,444,100 FOR 'REPAIR DOOR BLDG 5112'...
RECOVERY.GOV // AWARDED: $541,119 FOR 'INSTALL TRAFFIC SIGNAL'...

Agriculture Sec. Vilsack: 'Purchased 760,000 Lbs of ham at cost of approximately $1.50 per pound'...
FOOD LION: $.79 Lb...

http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?contentidonly=true&contentid=2009/07/0322.xml

________________________ ________________________ ______________

We told you hope changers so.  Obama and the RAT stimulus bill was a complete fraud on the public. 

F.u. b.o.!!!!!!!!!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
FOOD LION LINK CONFIRMING .79 PER LBS.

http://foodlion.mywebgrocer.com/CircularItemList.aspx?catid=1195&cc=1&cc=1&s=53092572&g=6f98a439-aa3e-4c14-9e2b-b1ccd66ac2ad&uc=7B35461

________________________ _______________________

Come on guys.  I want those of you who defended the stimulus bill to defend this. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
FOOD LION LINK CONFIRMING .79 PER LBS.

http://foodlion.mywebgrocer.com/CircularItemList.aspx?catid=1195&cc=1&cc=1&s=53092572&g=6f98a439-aa3e-4c14-9e2b-b1ccd66ac2ad&uc=7B35461

________________________ _______________________

Come on guys.  I want those of you who defended the stimulus bill to defend this. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
All the extra goes to the retailers and government. The pork farmers aren't seeing that.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
All the extra goes to the retailers and government. The pork farmers aren't seeing that.

ZERO couldnt negotiate a better rate than double the price of the supermarket? 

Hereford

• Getbig V

What does that tell you?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

The paper version of the Food Lion circular is printed on the site's homepage. The regular price of that ham is $1.69, $0.20
more than what the gov't paid. Your link is a special sale price for members of that grocery store.

http://foodlion.mywebgrocer.com/Circular.aspx?c=41617&n=1&s=53142566&g=2d4ee3ab-d38f-4823-a6d5-f7ace98412af&uc=7B35461

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I'm confused by your post.  Ham in the circular is .79 per /lb 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
That's a sale price. Click on the link in my post and roll-over the circular. They give the regular price for the ham in a pop-up.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's a sale price. Click on the link in my post and roll-over the circular. They give the regular price for the ham in a pop-up.

Either way, the govt got ripped off.  If Food Lion can sell it on sale at .79 and make money, clearly the govt is paying full retail on this and we are being played for suckers. 

Did the idiot who ordered this ham ever think about volume discounts?     

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Either way, the govt got ripped off.  If Food Lion can sell it on sale at .79 and make money, clearly the govt is paying full retail on this and we are being played for suckers. 

Your opening post suggested this was an example of waste and fraud. I don't consider paying retail getting "ripped off."

From the link in your first post:

While the principal purpose of these expenditures is to provide food to those hardest hit by these tough times, the purchases also provide a modest economic benefit of benefiting Americans working at food retailers, manufacturers and transportation companies as well as the farmers and ranchers who produce our food supply."

In other words, to stimulate the economy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Your opening post suggested this was an example of waste and fraud. I don't consider paying retail getting "ripped off."

From the link in your first post:

In other words, to stimulate the economy.

Come on, even you dont believe that nonsense.  You are smarter than that Al. This is literally more "Pork" that does not stimuluate anything.

This stimulates peoples stomach and thats it. 

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
Come on, even you dont believe that nonsense.  You are smarter than that Al. This is literally more "Pork" that does not stimuluate anything.

This stimulates peoples stomach and thats it. 

Exactly what am I not supposed to believe? Where is the nonsense?

Regardless of whether or not you believe the stimulus bill did/will work, there is nothing to suggest these purchases were examples of fraud or mismanagement.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Exactly what am I not supposed to believe? Where is the nonsense?

Regardless of whether or not you believe the stimulus bill did/will work, there is nothing to suggest these purchases were examples of fraud or mismanagement.

The entire bill was supposed to be "stimulate the economy".  Are people in this country so freaking dumb, and I am not saying this is you, that they really believe that spending millions on canned ham "stimulates economic activity"???

In fact,t his is probably the worst use of the money since once the food is concumed, there is no economic benefit from it ever again. 

If they spent the money on road and bridges that were in cities to cut congestion and traffic, that would stimulate economic activity.

If they spent the money building new nuclear power plants, that would stimulate activity sdince the cost of energy would go down and people have more money to spend on goods and services.

Welfare spending liek this is the worst type of spending since the economy gets nothing for it.     

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini

First of all, there is plenty of money going to public works projects- and I believe you've derided those, as well.

Secondly, I couldn't disagree with ur post more. The money can't all go to one place. I won't say that this type of spending is better than public works spending, but its effects are more immediate and tangible. With the amount of money dedicated to the stim bill, a multi-tiered approach to jumpstarting the economy is the only thing that makes sense. Several mill in retail spending certainly does have a positive affect on the economy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
First of all, there is plenty of money going to public works projects- and I believe you've derided those, as well.

Secondly, I couldn't disagree with ur post more. The money can't all go to one place. I won't say that this type of spending is better than public works spending, but its effects are more immediate and tangible. With the amount of money dedicated to the stim bill, a multi-tiered approach to jumpstarting the economy is the only thing that makes sense. Several mill in retail spending certainly does have a positive affect on the economy.

First off its only 5% of the entire bill and most of theprojects are nonsense. 

Second - go buy this book right now -  you need to learn economics simnce you have no clue what you are talking about.   

Hereford

• Getbig V
The entire bill was supposed to be "stimulate the economy".  Are people in this country so freaking dumb, and I am not saying this is you, that they really believe that spending millions on canned ham "stimulates economic activity"???

In fact,t his is probably the worst use of the money since once the food is concumed, there is no economic benefit from it ever again. 

If they spent the money on road and bridges that were in cities to cut congestion and traffic, that would stimulate economic activity.

If they spent the money building new nuclear power plants, that would stimulate activity sdince the cost of energy would go down and people have more money to spend on goods and services.

Welfare spending liek this is the worst type of spending since the economy gets nothing for it.     

Anytime you see the government buying foods, it is usually a disguised payout to the poor. And no, it does not go to the farmers... The govt buys from processors and pays full retail for everything.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

How? After the poor guy eats the ham, the money literally is gone.  At least with a bridge or road or nuclear plant we have something of benefit.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
First off its only 5% of the entire bill and most of theprojects are nonsense. 

Second - go buy this book right now -  you need to learn economics simnce you have no clue what you are talking about.   

From what you've posted in this thread, you're not The Guy when it comes to economics.

Public works projects come out to about 15-20% of the stim bill.

Mons Venus

Didnt the Government pay $100,000 for a fuuccking toilet seat once?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
How? After the poor guy eats the ham, the money literally is gone.  At least with a bridge or road or nuclear plant we have something of benefit.   

So, you're telling me that a good or service provides no economic benefit if it is not reusable?

I will buy that book you posted...  and send it right to your house.  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
From what you've posted in this thread, you're not The Guy when it comes to economics.

Its less than 10%.    

Hereford

• Getbig V

and how much of that goes straight into union coffers?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
So, you're telling me that a good or service provides no economic benefit if it is not reusable?

You dont need to, I have already read it a few times.

I am telling you that if you want to stimulate economic activity by productive people who pay taxes and generate income, spending money on food for welfare programs is not the way to go.    

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Here you go, i just saved you $11.00.  Free PDF version. 

http://www.hacer.org/pdf/Hazlitt00.pdf