Author Topic: "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women"  (Read 2573 times)

Army of One

• Getbig V
"cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women"
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:52 AM »
A true getbigger, PIP Henry  :'(

LONDON - The world's oldest man, 113-year-old World War I veteran Henry Allingham, died Saturday in a British nursing home.

Allingham, who once jokingly credited his long life to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women," died in his sleep at the St. Dunstan's home near Brighton.

"He died very peacefully and very comfortably in his sleep," a spokeswoman for the home said. "There was nothing specific, he was just 113."

Allingham was the last surviving original member of the Royal Air Force, which was formed in 1918, and spent his final years talking about the war that claimed 9 million soldiers.

Though nearly blind, he would take the outstretched hands of visitors in both of his, gaze into the eyes of children, veterans and journalists and deliver a message he wanted them all to remember.

"I want everyone to know," he told The Associated Press during an interview in November. "They died for us."

Only a handful of World War I veterans remain of the estimated 68 million mobilized. There are no French veterans left alive; the last living American-born veteran is Frank Woodruff Buckles of Charles Town, W.Va.

"It's the end of a era - a very special and unique generation," said Allingham's longtime friend, Dennis Goodwin, who confirmed Allingham's death.

The world's oldest man is now 112-year-old Montana resident Walter Breuning, who was born Sept. 21, 1896. The world's oldest woman is Gertrude Baines, a 115-year-old who lives in Los Angeles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/07/18/2009-07-18_worlds_oldest_man_world_war_i_veteran_dies.html

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
Re: "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women"
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:51:56 AM »
whisky soda e rock and roll

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
whisky soda e rock and roll

Henry was 62 when this song was being performed, RIP Henry!

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 09:03:12 AM »
Read about this guy a couple of days ago. Lived in 3 centuries!!! Let that sink in. Godspeed, good Sirrah!  :)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 09:03:37 AM »
What a life.  

Allingham, who once jokingly credited his long life to "cigarettes, whisky and wild, wild women," died in his sleep at the St. Dunstan's home near Brighton.

Good man.  ;D  Have to tip the hat to a man who will go out with a wisecrack.

I'm instructing my heirs to contact every woman I ever met and describe how I was talking about her right up until the very end.

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:05:02 AM »
Read about this guy a couple of days ago. Lived in 3 centuries!!! Let that sink in. Godspeed, good Sirrah!  :)

So, Ive lived in 2, 1 more than that aint shit  ;D

MethodGNA

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Been Real_Been Nice...But it Hasn't Been Real Nice
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 09:13:06 AM »
Henry was 62 when this song was being performed, RIP Henry!

yeah, that is so bizarre when its put in perspective.........he was already in his 40s during the new deal

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
i think it would be more correct like = "cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women."

it seems redundant as if it would be a bad usage of the comma, but since its a quote you have to right it exactly as it was said and the person in the quote spoke in a way that if written down would show that the speakers vocabulary and grammar has  incorrect slang usage of punctuations

somebody with good english knowledge want to help me

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 11:04:04 AM »
i think it would be more correct like = "cigarettes, whisky, and wild, wild women."

it seems redundant as if it would be a bad usage of the comma, but since its a quote you have to right it exactly as it was said and the person in the quote spoke in a way that if written down would show that the speakers vocabulary and grammar has  incorrect slang usage of punctuations

somebody with good english knowledge want to help me
I'll start you off....it's write

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 11:12:42 AM »
A true getbigger, PIP Henry  :'(

LONDON - The world's oldest man, 113-year-old World War I veteran Henry Allingham, died Saturday in a British nursing home.

"He died very peacefully and very comfortably in his sleep," a spokeswoman for the home said. "There was nothing specific, he was just 113."

Allingham was the last surviving original member of the Royal Air Force, which was formed in 1918, and spent his final years talking about the war that claimed 9 million soldiers.

Though nearly blind, he would take the outstretched hands of visitors in both of his, gaze into the eyes of children, veterans and journalists and deliver a message he wanted them all to remember.

"I want everyone to know," he told The Associated Press during an interview in November. "They died for us."

Only a handful of World War I veterans remain of the estimated 68 million mobilized. There are no French veterans left alive; the last living American-born veteran is Frank Woodruff Buckles of Charles Town, W.Va.

"It's the end of a era - a very special and unique generation," said Allingham's longtime friend, Dennis Goodwin, who confirmed Allingham's death.

The world's oldest man is now 112-year-old Montana resident Walter Breuning, who was born Sept. 21, 1896. The world's oldest woman is Gertrude Baines, a 115-year-old who lives in Los Angeles.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/us_world/2009/07/18/2009-07-18_worlds_oldest_man_world_war_i_veteran_dies.html

I guess our capitalistic health care system must be pretty good here with the world's 2 oldest people living in US