Author Topic: Polls can affect president's hold on party  (Read 887 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Polls can affect president's hold on party
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
Funny..he's tanking on the exact issues he was elected for. He's doing fine on foreign policy where he's done nothing but make a speech or two but where's he's fully envolved...he's tanking. Who knew hahahahaahahhahaahahhaha hha............

WASHINGTON — A president's standing after his first six months in office doesn't forecast whether he'll have a successful four-year term, but it does signal how much political juice he'll have for his second six months in office.
That's the lesson of history.

ISSUES: Faith in Obama's economic strategy declines

Barack Obama, who completed six months in office Monday, has a 55% approval rating in the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll, putting him 10th among the dozen presidents who have served since World War II at this point in their tenures.

That's not as bad for Obama as it may sound: The six-month mark hasn't proved to be a particularly good indicator of how a president ultimately will fare.

FIND MORE STORIES IN: George W. Bush | Barack Obama | World War II | Bill Clinton | Ronald Reagan | Vietnam War | Richard Nixon | John F. Kennedy | Jimmy Carter | Gerald Ford | Barry Goldwater | Dwight D. Eisenhower | Lyndon B. Johnson | Harry S. Truman | H.W. Brands
Two-thirds of Americans approved of the jobs Jimmy Carter and George H.W. Bush were doing at six months, but both would lose their bids for re-election.

And though the younger Bush and Bill Clinton had significantly lower ratings at 180 days — Clinton had sunk to 41% approval — both won second terms.

Even so, a president's standing at the moment is more than a matter of vanity. It affects his ability to hold the members of his own party and persuade those on the other side to support him, at least on the occasional issue.

"Approval ratings are absolutely critical for a president achieving his agenda," says Republican pollster Whit Ayres.

For Obama, the timing of his slide in ratings is particularly unhelpful: He's intensified his push to pass health care bills in the House and Senate before Congress leaves on its August recess. He'll press his case at a news conference at 8 p.m. Wednesday.

His overall approval rating has dropped 9 percentage points since his inauguration in January, and his disapproval rate has jumped 16 points, to 41%.

Trouble at home

More people disapprove than approve of Obama on four domestic issues: the economy, taxes, health care and the federal budget deficit. He scores majority approval on handling Iraq, Afghanistan and foreign affairs.

The biggest drop has been on his handling of the economy, down 12 points since February; his disapproval is up 19 points. The most erosion has come not from Republicans or independents but among his own Democrats. Support from conservative and moderate Democrats is down by 18 points. Another group in the party's political base — those earning $20,000 to $50,000 a year — had a drop of 15 percentage points, to 47%.

That could reflect one reason why moderate Democratic senators and the fiscally conservative Blue Dog Democrats in the House are demanding more cost controls in the health care plan before they'll sign on.

"It's important if a president is trying to accomplish some big stuff legislatively," H.W. Brands, a professor at the University of Texas-Austin, says of the approval rating. He was one of several presidential historians who sat down with Obama at a private White House dinner this month. "Members of Congress are somewhat reluctant to tangle with a president who seems to have the backing of the American people."

At 55% overall, Obama's approval rating is a tick below that of George W. Bush at six months. It is well above Clinton and Gerald Ford, who was hammered for his pardon of Richard Nixon.

At the top of the list is Harry Truman at 82% — buoyed by the end of World War II — followed by Lyndon Johnson, John Kennedy and Dwight Eisenhower.

The fact that presidents from the 1950s and 1960s scored better than more recent ones could mean the public's assessments are getting tougher.

"Mid-20th-century presidents had higher political capital and more stable political capital than presidents of the last 20 years," says Steven Schier, a political scientist who is studying presidential job approval since modern polling began in the 1930s. He wrote Panorama of a Presidency: How George W. Bush Acquired and Spent His Political Capital.

Schier theorizes that the difference in ratings is due to the accelerating speed with which information is disseminated, the declining number of Americans firmly tied to a political party and a growing desire to see quick results. "There's less patience with presidents than there used to be," he says.

What's popularity for?

Savvy presidents understand that pursuing big policies will cost them popularity, Brands says. "Presidents have to decide what their popularity is for," he says. "Lyndon Johnson probably understood best that political popularity is a wasting asset. You had to use it when you had it."

Johnson was inaugurated after Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and then crushed Republican Barry Goldwater in the 1964 presidential race. LBJ used his high approval ratings — they didn't fall below 60% for more than two years after his inauguration — and big majorities in the House and Senate to enact his Great Society programs.

Amid growing opposition to the Vietnam War, Johnson's standing fell so low that he decided not to seek another term.

Ronald Reagan may provide a closer parallel to Obama. Both took office as the nation's economy was in perilous times. Reagan was at 60% at six months, but his standing slipped below 50% by the end of his first year in office as the jobless rate swelled.

It would take two years and economic recovery before a majority of Americans would approve of his presidency again.

L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Polls can affect president's hold on party
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
I saw a poll 2 days ago.  Confidence in health care, something like that.  ABC wash post, I think.

55% trust Obama on healthcare
35% trust GOP congress members on healthcare.

Obama is still flying high, guys.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 11:06:41 AM »
I saw a poll 2 days ago.  Confidence in health care, something like that.  ABC wash post, I think.

55% trust Obama on healthcare
35% trust GOP congress members on healthcare.

Obama is still flying high, guys.

Worse than Carter 240: 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:16:00 AM »
what were carter's first 6 months like?

my theory is that obama is getting 4 years' wroth of dirty lib work done in the first year.  Then he can do a lot of moderate things, and that's what goldfish-brained swing voters will remember.

Carter did a lot of crap, spread over 4 years.  What if Obama's just doing all the polarizing shit now? I mean, can you remember offhand what Bush1 did in the first 6 months of office?  bush 2?  Even Clinton or reagan?  Not all that much, compared to obama.

if obama keeps on this lib trend, yeah, he'll be in trouble in 2012.  But if he just does it all now, and is still OVER 50% approval... he'll climb back up with popular actions over the next 3 years.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:55:59 AM »
Thats not how it works..barry has done alot of damage to the economy, stuff that will and should bury him. He's pushing all this lib shit..because he's a Leftists lib. He's not going to drift to the center unless and when the Dems loose Congress and he's much more of an idealist then Clinton, so we may get a whole lot of nothing from him after that. Reagan began to slash taxes, he had alot of foreign policy issues and began to remove government from the domestic scene as much as possible.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:12:48 PM »
Thats not how it works..barry has done alot of damage to the economy, stuff that will and should bury him. He's pushing all this lib shit..because he's a Leftists lib. He's not going to drift to the center unless and when the Dems loose Congress and he's much more of an idealist then Clinton, so we may get a whole lot of nothing from him after that. Reagan began to slash taxes, he had alot of foreign policy issues and began to remove government from the domestic scene as much as possible.
let's skip the rewrite of history.  He didn't fuck the economy, he just isn't doing anything right to fix it and may be making it worse.  half a year of pretending Bush handed Obama a good economy has got to stop.  Obama walked into the worst downturn since the depression.  Far far far worse than what was handed Bush from Clinton.  and I'm sure there is some dem help in why we're here but I'm really sick of the republicans actling like they didn't have anything to do with it.  That's just pure horseshit.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:15:34 PM »
let's skip the rewrite of history.  He didn't fuck the economy, he just isn't doing anything right to fix it and may be making it worse.  half a year of pretending Bush handed Obama a good economy has got to stop.  Obama walked into the worst downturn since the depression.  Far far far worse than what was handed Bush from Clinton.  and I'm sure there is some dem help in why we're here but I'm really sick of the republicans actling like they didn't have anything to do with it.  That's just pure horseshit.

You are right Hugo, but that does not excuse the madness he is pursuing.  He is a carbon copy of what Bush did on his way out, but even moreso. 

He inherited a mess, but is doing almost the opposite of what any sane person, left or right, would be doing under the same circumstances.   

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 12:17:42 PM »
Who said that...Barry to a sick animal and then hit it with a meteor. He's sinking us faster then if the Gov took a six month vacation. Nothing he's done has helped and he ran on an agenda to fix it. Every prediction has been wrong on his side and they're planning to spend more money...neither cap and trade nor healthcare are contributing to the mess we're in.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 12:20:32 PM »
Who said that...Barry to a sick animal and then hit it with a meteor. He's sinking us faster then if the Gov took a six month vacation. Nothing he's done has helped and he ran on an agenda to fix it. Every prediction has been wrong on his side and they're planning to spend more money...neither cap and trade nor healthcare are contributing to the mess we're in.

If those two disasters past, we are finished.  Crap & Tax is a disaster and DMV style health care will be the final nail. 

I think people are waking up, finally. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 12:43:17 PM »
You are right Hugo, but that does not excuse the madness he is pursuing.  He is a carbon copy of what Bush did on his way out, but even moreso. 

He inherited a mess, but is doing almost the opposite of what any sane person, left or right, would be doing under the same circumstances.   
I didn't say it did, just sick of the innocent "what, who, not me" act from republicans.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 12:54:33 PM »
Uh Hugo Barry is president....Bush is gone. Barry gets all the credit or all the blame now...its not like the Dems have'nt done anything as far as the economy. They put fixes in and they're failing.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 01:00:26 PM »
Uh Hugo Barry is president....Bush is gone. Barry gets all the credit or all the blame now...its not like the Dems have'nt done anything as far as the economy. They put fixes in and they're failing.

Obama's biggest problem is that he always over-promises and under-delivers.  His critics are not amused and his followers end up sorely dissapointed.

Case in point - The Stimulus Bill.  Check this graph out.  The red line is the actual results through May vs. his promises with and without the stimulus bill.  This is why fewer and fewer people believe him on Health Care. 

He has no credibility any more.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:12:31 PM »
oh bullfuckingshit.  I seem to remember republicans blaming everything on Clinton for the first several years of Bush's time in office!  Now you wanna change the logic.  Bullshit!  Obama is fucking up but stop acting like the republicans have done nothing wrong ::)  It's absolutely pathetic.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:12 PM »
U could blame Clinton for some of the foreign policy mistakes..Bin Laden etc or the minor recession...but Bush didn't suddenly begin to change things or make things worse as a result. Barry has taken his minor victory over McCain and driven us into the ground like he beat a major Republican with all guns blazing. This guy thinks he has answers, he's been wrong wrong wrong and no ammount of blaming Bush is gonna fix one problem. Any Clinton problem were minor compared to Bush/Obama and Barry ahs made it a billion times worse.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »
"His overall approval rating has dropped 9 percentage points since his inauguration in January, and his disapproval rate has jumped 16 points, to 41%."

I smell trouble.  This downward trend is before he has the tackled the radical social agenda he discussed during the campaign. 

MM2K

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 04:42:19 PM »

Let's consider your own rewrite of history. No one is pretending Bush handed Obama a good economy. I havent heard one Republican or conservative commentator say that. But at the same time, he didnt hand him "the worst downturn since the depression". Its the worst downturn since the early 80s. Reagan had to deal with far worse. Yes, its true that Bush was handed a far more minor recession from Clinton (actually probably the most minor in history). But Bush inherited it at the head beginning. Obama inherited this thing when it was 13 months old. Yes, Republicans had something to do with the housing bubble, but I would suggest that the Democrats are more to blame if someone is more to blame. The Dems were the ones who largely championed putting people in houses they couldnt afford and distorting the housing market. The Republicans just went along for the ride because they didnt want to be looked at as racist or "against the poor".

oh bullfuckingshit.  I seem to remember republicans blaming everything on Clinton for the first several years of Bush's time in office!  Now you wanna change the logic.  Bullshit!  Obama is fucking up but stop acting like the republicans have done nothing wrong   It's absolutely pathetic.

I do seem to remember a couple of conservative commentators blaming Clinton for the recession, but largely Bush and the Republicans were just repeating what a lot of economists had been saying, that we were in a recession, and Democrats criticised him for "talking down the economy". The Republicans did not do an acceptable job in the past decade, but whatever there sins of the past decade, they do deserve credit for completely voting against the stimulus package (all but 3 of them). They were lambasted by the media in doing so, being called the party of "NO" and being "partisan" and "defeatest". So Im sorry if youre offended, but they have every right to rub it in to Obama on this. If I really wanted to be tough on the Republicans, I would give them a grade of 59 for thier work in the past 8 years, but I would give the Democrats a big fat 0. That's quite a difference my friend. People  including me are going to vote the GOP back into Congress in 2010, not becuase we believe they have purged the curruption within the party, but because we know they will be 10 times better than what we have now. Bottom line: If your'e not missing Bush and the Republicans right now, you are simply a hopeless idealist.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »
Let's consider your own rewrite of history. No one is pretending Bush handed Obama a good economy. I havent heard one Republican or conservative commentator say that. But at the same time, he didnt hand him "the worst downturn since the depression". Its the worst downturn since the early 80s. Reagan had to deal with far worse. Yes, its true that Bush was handed a far more minor recession from Clinton (actually probably the most minor in history). But Bush inherited it at the head beginning. Obama inherited this thing when it was 13 months old. Yes, Republicans had something to do with the housing bubble, but I would suggest that the Democrats are more to blame if someone is more to blame. The Dems were the ones who largely championed putting people in houses they couldnt afford and distorting the housing market. The Republicans just went along for the ride because they didnt want to be looked at as racist or "against the poor".

I do seem to remember a couple of conservative commentators blaming Clinton for the recession, but largely Bush and the Republicans were just repeating what a lot of economists had been saying, that we were in a recession, and Democrats criticised him for "talking down the economy". The Republicans did not do an acceptable job in the past decade, but whatever there sins of the past decade, they do deserve credit for completely voting against the stimulus package (all but 3 of them). They were lambasted by the media in doing so, being called the party of "NO" and being "partisan" and "defeatest". So Im sorry if youre offended, but they have every right to rub it in to Obama on this. If I really wanted to be tough on the Republicans, I would give them a grade of 59 for thier work in the past 8 years, but I would give the Democrats a big fat 0. That's quite a difference my friend. People  including me are going to vote the GOP back into Congress in 2010, not becuase we believe they have purged the curruption within the party, but because we know they will be 10 times better than what we have now. Bottom line: If your'e not missing Bush and the Republicans right now, you are simply a hopeless idealist.
There are countless references, studies all saying this is the worst since the great depression.  Go google it and go argue with them over it.  I didn't read the rest of that post sorry.