Author Topic: Would you?  (Read 3091 times)

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Would you?
« on: July 23, 2009, 07:26:49 PM »

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/32101001?gt1=43001

He lost fingers saving his dog from gator attack
Alligator had Wheaten terrier in its jaws when owner rescued her; she’s OK
By Mike Celizic
TODAYShow.com contributor
updated 7:57 a.m. CT, Thurs., July 23, 2009

That man’s best friend thing works both ways, as a lucky Florida dog that was saved from the jaws of a hungry alligator by her owner can attest today.

Mandy, a 45-pound Wheaten terrier, sat docilely by her master’s side Thursday as David Grounds, his right hand heavily bandaged, revealed to TODAY’s Meredith Vieira just how far a man will go to save his furry companion.

“It wasn’t a bad trade,” the 66-year-old Grounds said from his home in West Palm Beach, Fla. “Mandy for two fingers.”

Jaws of death
Grounds was remarkably calm, considering that just a few days earlier — on Saturday, July 18 — he’d watched in horror as the dog he’d had since she was a puppy seven years ago ran to the edge of a backyard pond and was snatched by a 7-foot alligator.

Without a thought for his own safety, Grounds ran through the brush to the water’s edge, where the gator had what it thought was breakfast clamped between its crushing jaws. “I just grabbed the lower jaw with this hand and the upper jaw with this hand,” he said, indicating his bandaged right hand and his left.

At this crucial moment, Grounds remembered something he’d heard long ago: If you jab a gator in the eye, it will release whatever it’s got hold of. Grounds jabbed, the alligator let go of Mandy, and for an instant, everything stopped.

“When he released Mandy for a split second he was still frozen, and he didn’t move,” Grounds told Vieira. “I’m thinking, ‘OK, that was easy, but now what do I do?’ I knew I only had a split second before it started reacting, and I tried to throw him and run to the right. But unfortunately, he caught my right hand.”

‘I knew I was in big trouble’
Grounds said he never thought he was in mortal danger, but he also didn’t know how he was going to get his hand free. That’s when the alligator went into the roll the big reptiles use to subdue prey.

“I knew I was in big trouble when he had my hand and he was twisting, but in a split second he had broken my fingers off, and I was free and I knew I was safe from him at least,” Grounds said.

The hero pet owner lost parts of his index and ring fingers on his right hand. But other than worrying about how he’s going to type, he didn’t seem particularly concerned. After all, his precious pet was sitting at his side, a white T-shirt covering the cuts and scratches on her back and belly inflicted by the alligator, but otherwise none the worse for wear.

:

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
Re: Would you?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
no fuck the dog.

maybe Id try poking the gator in the eye but I am not losing fingers over a dog

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 08:23:52 PM »
no fuck the dog.

maybe Id try poking the gator in the eye but I am not losing fingers over a dog

Well lets hope you never own a dog then.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 08:34:51 PM »
I love dogs, I love my fingers and the rest of my body more.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 08:41:06 PM »
I love dogs, I love my fingers and the rest of my body more.

true that

unless i knew the pup from birth, then i might make an exception

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 06:45:54 AM »
sorry if this pisses anybody off but in the end its just a dog...I love dogs especially my two boys and I would definitly do what I could to save them. This is like saying if someone breaks in your house you try to protect your dog, the dog is supposed to protect you...

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 09:56:54 AM »
You never know what you would do in some situations but yes, I think I would try to save my dog(s). 

You might be in shock and "paralyzed" when seeing the scene unfold but if I had my wits about me I don't think I could make the decision to stand and do nothing.  I know I would see the scene every night before I tried to go to sleep. :(

R

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 05:03:42 PM »
How about you Princess?
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 04:59:18 AM »
at 66 it's not like he needs his fingers as much, lol. 

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Would you?
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 11:50:31 AM »
Yes, I would do whatever I could.  When it comes to a gator tho  :-\  I don't know ~ I think I'd be too freaked out.  But, if it were possible to know what the outcome would be, and the result was what happened to this man, then yes I would.
:

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 04:02:53 AM »
I would tryed to save my dog, prying the jaw with a big stick, or by other means, like good ol' gator wrasslin, or grab the gator under the jaw, or even bite the gator, there are many diff methods other than sticking your fingers and prying...That won't work, a gators jaw muscles  for closing are very strong, but for opening are very weak.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:02 AM »
with my dog, I would have probably had to save the gator.  She's a great dog, but holy fucking shit, she goes fucking cujo X 10 on anything she thinks is a threat.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 05:50:35 AM »
with my dog, I would have probably had to save the gator.  She's a great dog, but holy fucking shit, she goes fucking cujo X 10 on anything she thinks is a threat.
;D
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
;D
yours too?  curious since they're close breed wise.

Cy Tolliver

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 06:41:01 AM »
i'd shoot the gator with my blow gun, end of story
TEAM LAURA LEE!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 06:58:32 AM »
yours too?  curious since they're close breed wise.

Nah...I was just laughing about yours.  Mine would run up barking but not get w/in 6 feet of it.  The other one would growl and "talk" and want to sniff it's butt.
R

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 07:28:37 AM »
i'd shoot the gator with my blow gun, end of story
impressive,... ninja vs. gator... I think I saw that on youtube.  :D