Author Topic: MMA is the new (and better) BB!!!  (Read 7867 times)

spinnis

Re: MMA is the new (and better) BB!!!
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2009, 07:58:36 AM »

Back in the mid 90's Mark Coleman trained for the Olympic wrestling freestyle team....in the Olympic trials he beat Mark Kerr and got beat by Kurt Angle. (I think Coleman tore an ab muscle in the match with Kerr and the injury kept him from advancing). Kurt went to Atlanta and took Gold.

Coleman then a couple months later, with zero mma (tons of bar fights and street fights though) came in and won 3 consecuitive UFC titles.

Proving that if you are big, in top shape, and can take people down....then you are a threat to beat the most skilled guys out there.

A few years ago Coleman took down Fedor, took his back and shouldve won (didn't know the proper choke hold hand positioning)

when your are OLYMPIC calibre wrestler you can hold anyone down. But you will have to learn other shit also.. Hence why his record his 16-9

But you can get caought in submissions as he has several times.

and all wrestlers seem to hit fucking HARD also, Im guessing its because they are good at using their weight etc

spinnis

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2009, 08:02:05 AM »
And the classic KO. HE was sooooooooo tired its not even funny lol!!

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2009, 08:07:13 AM »
And the classic KO. HE was sooooooooo tired its not even funny lol!!

I saw that Coleman/Williams fight live. Coleman beat Petes ass during the fight....but by overtime Coleman was spent.

That fight was tough. Pete was almost ko'd by Coleman early on.

Coleman was fresh off of knee surgery and needed that fight to get a rematch with Maurice smith or a shot at couture.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2009, 08:12:26 AM »
I saw that Coleman/Williams fight live. Coleman beat Petes ass during the fight....but by overtime Coleman was spent.

That fight was tough. Pete was almost ko'd by Coleman early on.

Coleman was fresh off of knee surgery and needed that fight to get a rematch with Maurice smith or a shot at couture.

That sounds like sour grapes.  Williams ko'd him!  There was no doubt who won the fight.  That's like watching a football game where one team leads the whole game, but loses in the last few seconds.  Surely, you wouldn't say that then... :-\

heretostay13

• Getbig II
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
I totally agree with the concept of MMA being everything people want to see in bodybuilding. The average guy who watches MMA thinks Liddell, Jackson, etc. are absolute monsters (and with the likes of Lesnar, Sherk, etc who do carry a lot of muscle on their frames they can be used as even better examples). With the average person when they look at bodybuilders there's always things being brought up like, "oh yeah, well could he fight, etc." but in the instance of MMA the physical prowess is there and proven...and the women are there too. Great observation Donkey.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2009, 09:00:40 AM »
That sounds like sour grapes.  Williams ko'd him!  There was no doubt who won the fight.  That's like watching a football game where one team leads the whole game, but loses in the last few seconds.  Surely, you wouldn't say that then... :-\

Are you serious? Sour grapes? Dude I could not possibly care any less about that fight! It took place 11 years ago.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2009, 09:03:40 AM »
but in the instance of MMA the physical prowess is there and proven...and the women are there too. Great observation Donkey.

every sport has groupies. Hockey, football, baseball. MMA is no different

ironneck

• Getbig V
  • team young getbiggers
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2009, 11:30:45 AM »
here in europe many people think mma is against humanity(don't know if you can say that in english this way)

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:01 PM »
Think about it, these guys do steroids, have muscles AND they can kick your ass.

That's far better than some pathetic 300lbs monster that can barely walk, has a red head from the high blood pressure and huffs and coughs all day when he moves.

The girls are much hotter as well! Not some roided out she-males.

There must be something to dwindling crowds at bbing shows, declining NPC memberships and nonexistent media coverage of bbing.

MMA on the other hand sells out auditoriums every other month, is the fastest growing sport and is starting to get real media coverage.

Bbing took a wrong turn somewhere and has now been relegated to a niche within a niche.  It's sad when you think about it...
w

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2009, 01:11:22 PM »
There must be something to dwindling crowds at bbing shows, declining NPC memberships and nonexistent media coverage of bbing.

MMA on the other hand sells out auditoriums every other month, is the fastest growing sport and is starting to get real media coverage.

Bbing took a wrong turn somewhere and has now been relegated to a niche within a niche.  It's sad when you think about it...

Basile-like opinion based on nothing but conjecture and slanted opinion...

NPC cards were up this year over last, USA had nearly 500 competitors and  sold out show...Nationals will be the same. 

Olympia VIP-sold out

Whats sad, is you continuing to talk bullshit when you haven't the slighest clue

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #60 on: July 29, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »

NPC cards were up this year over last, USA had nearly 500 competitors and  sold out show...Nationals will be the same. 

Olympia VIP-sold out

Whats sad, is you continuing to talk bullshit when you haven't the slighest clue

Membership in the NPC might be up (we are taking your word for it, but doesn't mean its true, show proof) but no way in hell or anywhere else could Mr. Olympia or any other BB show comes close to filling every seat in the locations UFC fights are held.  The Olympia gets what 6000 or so people live.  That would be embarrassing if only that many showed up to a UFC fight.  Put the Olympia on at the Staple Center or set it up like they do at the MGM Grand and see if it can sell 12000 to 18000 seats.  You know that will never happen.  So don't think that having 3 shows out of how many a year the NPC and IFBB put on even come close to MMA.  NOT EVEN CLOSE
No Worries 4 me

RJ

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2009, 02:50:26 PM »
Im from Canada. I know when the UFC came to Montreal it was one of the biggest UFC's ever. When Pro bodybuilding came to Montreal there was maybe 150 people there at the very most. After the competition the bodybuiders that competed were thumbing cabs like the rest of us. It was a sad scene, seeing a bunch of distorted bodybuilders that comprimised there health to stand up on stage for absolutely nothing. The big winner took home a wopping 10k. Its sad to see bodybuilding such a dieing hobby.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2009, 03:37:58 PM »

Olympia VIP-sold out

Bob, you may be entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. 

You probably don't know this, but I own a marketing consulting firm.  Over half of my clients are sports nutrition companies including some of the biggest in the industry (Ron will corroborate this).  I can tell you, for a fact, that every company I deal with, has completely stopped endorsing pro/amateur bodybuilders and many have begun endorsing MMA athletes.  Also, many have completely stopped sponsoring local/regional bodybuilding shows because there is nobody there!  It's a waste of money.  Many still sponsor the Olympia & Arnold, but only because you get a good cross section of consumers there, as a result of everything else that goes on at the expos.

I understand why you get so defensive and take it so personal.  This is your livelihood and what you have devoted your life to.  But, that is what clouds your judgement and has you melting all over this board.
w

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2009, 03:39:33 PM »
Membership in the NPC might be up (we are taking your word for it, but doesn't mean its true, show proof) but no way in hell or anywhere else could Mr. Olympia or any other BB show comes close to filling every seat in the locations UFC fights are held.  The Olympia gets what 6000 or so people live.  That would be embarrassing if only that many showed up to a UFC fight.  Put the Olympia on at the Staple Center or set it up like they do at the MGM Grand and see if it can sell 12000 to 18000 seats.  You know that will never happen.  So don't think that having 3 shows out of how many a year the NPC and IFBB put on even come close to MMA.  NOT EVEN CLOSE

Try and keep up....no one is comparing what the UFC sells to BB.

Mindless made a statement saying that everything BB related was in the gutter....I know for fact he's wrong.

Where you draw any comparison is beyond me

Here is another revelation for you: The NFL sold more tickets than MMA

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2009, 03:46:16 PM »
Bob, you may be entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts. 

You probably don't know this, but I own a marketing consulting firm.  Over half of my clients are sports nutrition companies including some of the biggest in the industry (Ron will corroborate this).  I can tell you, for a fact, that every company I deal with, has completely stopped endorsing pro/amateur bodybuilders and many have begun endorsing MMA athletes.  Also, many have completely stopped sponsoring local/regional bodybuilding shows because there is nobody there!  It's a waste of money.  Many still sponsor the Olympia & Arnold, but only because you get a good cross section of consumers there, as a result of everything else that goes on at the expos.

I understand why you get so defensive and take it so personal.  This is your livelihood and what you have devoted your life to.  But, that is what clouds your judgement and has you melting all over this board.

Awesome,..maybe they'll be smart enough to figure out that people that watch MMA don't buy supplements.  There might be far less people at NPC shows, but they are about 99% more likely to be BBers themselves, trainers, people that lift, etc...

BTW...just because every company YOU deal with has bailed out (allegedly) doesn't mean ALL of them have...And TWO of the BB related supp companies are not going back to sponsoring any MMA events as they seen the cross section of fans attending were definately NOT likely to purchase supps.

As for "nobody" being at local/ regional events....obviously, you haven't been to any yourself...USA- sold out/ Jr. Nats- standing room only/ Lindsay shows- at capacity....I'll be at Dexter's show this weekend hosting.....I'll be sure to note your nostradomous like predictions to the sold out crowd....as it was last year

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2009, 03:50:40 PM »

Awesome,..maybe they'll be smart enough to figure out that people that watch MMA don't buy supplements.  There might be far less people at NPC shows, but they are about 99% more likely to be BBers themselves, trainers, people that lift, etc...

BTW...just because every company YOU deal with has bailed out (allegedly) doesn't mean ALL of them have...And TWO of the BB related supp companies are not going back to sponsoring any MMA events as they seen the cross section of fans attending were definately NOT likely to purchase supps.

As for "nobody" being at local/ regional events....obviously, you haven't been to any yourself...USA- sold out/ Jr. Nats- standing room only/ Lindsay shows- at capacity....I'll be at Dexter's show this weekend hosting.....I'll be sure to note your nostradomous like predictions to the sold out crowd....as it was last year
Can you please show me consumer demographics on the MMA fan and their buying habits? 

Also, I didn't realize the USA & Jr Nationals were local/regional shows...lol.
w

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
this was obviously a "bait" thread and you guys bit...ouch
X

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: July 29, 2009, 04:00:09 PM »
Can you please show me consumer demographics on the MMA fan and their buying habits? 

Also, I didn't realize the USA & Jr Nationals were local/regional shows...lol.

No...I cant. And neither can you. Are you saying they do? Is it your opinion that the MMA fanbase is an untapped (no pun intended) market, o wise one?

McMahon thought the same thing with ICOPRO and the WWF fans....how did that work out?

You obviously didn't realize that the competitors in the shows come from local shows...

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2009, 04:09:52 PM »
Try and keep up....no one is comparing what the UFC sells to BB.

Mindless made a statement saying that everything BB related was in the gutter....I know for fact he's wrong.

Where you draw any comparison is beyond me

Here is another revelation for you: The NFL sold more tickets than MMA

Let me keep you up.  The thread is about MMA being and better than BB.  Mindspin simply was stating facts about how BB is dwindling in numbers and those are facts.  You do not ever posts facts you only post what you want to say or told to sat by Manion.  Now that is a fact.  Have you ever stated facts about BB without doing some odd comparison to like football or some other real sport.  Face it you are fighting a battle you can't and won't win.  BB is losing sponsors and crowds.  That is a fact.  The USA might have had 500 competitors but other than family in the audience how many other people were there.  That place doesn't even hold 2000 people.  Easy to sell out that venue especially when 500 of the seats are the competitors.

You are right on one things.  No one is comparing the UFC to BB.  That would be really funny
No Worries 4 me

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »

Of course they sellout.  The are held in high school or college auditoriums.  They ONLY seat 1000 to 1500 people.  Tell Lindsay to sellout the Mandalay Bay or even the place at The Palms.  Odd how many supp companies sponsor MMA fighters yet you say MMA fans don't buy supplements.  So you are saying that all the companies that sponsor fighters and fight organizations don't know what they are doing and DO NO market research.  WOW!  I can't figure out why these same companies (that make millions) haven't got ahold of you to run all their companies.  Look how much better they would be supporting BB like you say than MMA.  These companies are stupid. 

Oh by the way isn't it weird how MMA gets a whole cross section of sponsors for their athletes and events and BB can only get supplement or equipment companies to sponsor and BB has been around for 50+ years.
No Worries 4 me

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2009, 04:18:43 PM »
jmt

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2009, 04:27:18 PM »
USA- sold out/ Jr. Nats- standing room only/ Lindsay shows- at capacity....

the NPC USA has over 400 contestants

most of the audience are family members, not necessarily people who go to the gym, not exactly the desired demographics to advertise supplements to

and most of the contestants are women, again not the desired demographics

and most of the contestants are steroid users, and why waste your money on questionable supplements when you're already using the really good stuff?

Pete Nice

• Getbig IV
  • Can't wait until the new DaddyWaddy's come out
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2009, 04:31:43 PM »
JMT
Air Falcon

The_Hammer

• Getbig V
  • President Barack Obama -- 2 Term U.S. President
« Reply #73 on: July 29, 2009, 04:33:06 PM »
Bodybuilding posing is gay.

Best KO of the year.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »
the NPC USA has over 400 contestants

most of the audience are family members, not necessarily people who go to the gym, not exactly the desired demographics to advertise supplements to

and most of the contestants are women, again not the desired demographics

and most of the contestants are steroid users, and why waste your money on questionable supplements when you're already using the really good stuff?

LOL...when was the last time you were at a USA?