Author Topic: Iran state TV confirms arrest of 3 Americans  (Read 7912 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Iran state TV confirms arrest of 3 Americans
« on: August 01, 2009, 05:44:57 PM »
Must be more spies. 

Iran state TV confirms arrest of 3 Americans
Posted 8/1/2009 6:49 PM ET    
By Yahya Barzanji, Associated Press Writer
SULAIMANIYAH, Iraq — Iran state TV confirmed Saturday that it has detained three Americans who crossed the border from northern Iraq, saying they failed to heed warnings from Iranian guards.

Kurdish officials from the self-ruled region in northern Iraq said the three -- two men and a woman -- were tourists who had mistakenly crossed into Iranian territory Friday while hiking in a mountainous area near the resort town of Ahmed Awaa.

"The Iranians said they have arrested them because they entered their land without legal permission," said Qubad Talabani, the Kurdish regional government's envoy to Washington.

Iran's state owned Arabic-language al-Alam TV station cited a "well-informed source" in the Interior Ministry that the three Americans were detained Friday after crossing into Iran's Kurdistan province.

The report said the Americans were arrested after they did not heed warnings from Iranian border guards.

State Department spokesman Robert Wood said Saturday that Washington had asked the Swiss, who represent U.S. interests in Tehran, "to confirm these reports with Iranian authorities and, if true, to seek consular access" to the detained Americans.

The detentions were the latest irritant in relations between Iran and the United States, which have had no diplomatic ties since 1979 when militant students stormed the U.S Embassy in Tehran and took Americans there hostage for 444 days. The two countries also are locked in a bitter dispute over Tehran's nuclear program.

. . . .

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=honoluluadvertiser&sParam=31288805.story

mac7000

• Getbig II
Re: Iran state TV confirms arrest of 3 Americans
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »
Since when are there tourists in Iraq?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 08:00:40 PM »
hahahaha

"tourists"

oh brother.

hey BB, the woman arrested as a spy had govt documents and once she was freed, came home and readily admitted on US tv that she told them she was a spy to get more coverage for her case.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 09:17:55 PM »
hahahaha

"tourists"

oh brother.

hey BB, the woman arrested as a spy had govt documents and once she was freed, came home and readily admitted on US tv that she told them she was a spy to get more coverage for her case.

She thought she was going to die.  What's your point?  In any event, here is what she said:

Freed U.S. Reporter Roxana Saberi: Fear Led to My False Confession to Iranian Interrogators

Agence France Presse. Posted May 28, 2009.

"Yes, I'm a U.S. spy," Saberi told Iranian interrogators after being threatened with with harsh punishment, even execution.

WASHINGTON (AFP) -- Iranian-American reporter Roxana Saberi said Thursday fear drove her to confess to being a U.S. spy as she gave her first interview since being freed after 100 days in Iran's notorious Evin prison.

U.S.-born Saberi, who had been living in Iran for six years and working as a reporter for Western media outlets while writing a book, told National Public Radio (NPR) that no one saw her being taken from her home on January 31 by four men from the Iranian intelligence ministry, and she wasn't allowed to contact friends or family when she was thrown in Evin the same day.

"After I realized that nobody knew where I was, I was very afraid, and my interrogators threatened me and said, if you don't confess to being a U.S. spy, you could be here for 10 years or 20 years. You could even face execution," she told NPR.

"And I thought, well, if something happens to me, my family doesn't know where I am, maybe they would never find out. And so I made a false confession and I said, 'Yes, I'm a U.S. spy,'" the 32-year-old told NPR's Melissa Block, host of the popular "All Things Considered" program.

"I'm still not sure what they arrested me for. It wasn't for buying alcohol; it wasn't for reporting without a press pass," Saberi said.

Both accusations have been raised by the media and officials in Iran as the reason for Saberi's arrest.

Saberi told NPR that her interrogators had from the go accused her of spying for the United States.

"However much I told them that I was not -- that I was simply writing a book and doing interviews for a book, which I hoped to use to show English speakers around the world a more balanced and complete picture of Iranian society -- however much I told them this, they told me I was lying and that I was a U.S. spy," she said.

In Evin, the jail in the Tehran suburbs where many political prisoners are held, Saberi endured "severe psychological and mental pressure, although I was not physically tortured.

"The first few days, I was interrogated for several hours, from morning until evening, blindfolded, facing a wall, by up to four men, and threatened ... I was in solitary confinement for several days," Saberi said.

Those days in isolation, when nobody knew where she was, were the "most difficult time for me," said Saberi.

"I prayed a lot -- I prayed more than I ever have in my whole life."

After several weeks, Saberi was put in a cell with "other political prisoners," she said.

She drew strength from her fellow inmates, whom she described as "some of the most admirable women I've met, not only in Iran, but all over the world.

"They're not willing to give in to pressure to make false confessions or to sign off to commitments not to take part in their activities once they're released; they would rather stay in prison and stand up for those principles that they believe in," Saberi said.

"Many of them are still there today," she said.

Saberi eventually recanted her confession of spying. She walked free from Evin jail on May 11 after a court reduced her eight-year prison term for espionage to a two-year suspended sentence.

She arrived back in the United States last week, telling reporters who met her at Dulles Airport near Washington that she sang the U.S. national anthem to herself while in Evin prison.

Asked if she had any plans to return to Iran, Saberi replied, "Definitely."

She had "learned to love the country" during her six years there.

"Most of the people were so hospitable to me -- so kind and so generous.

"Definitely, I hope to go back someday," she said.

nfession_to_iranian_inte rrogators/" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">http://www.alternet.org/rights/140330/freed_u.s._reporter_roxana_saberi:_fear_led_to_my_false_co nfession_to_iranian_inte rrogators/

Alex23

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 09:19:45 PM »
"Vacation cancelled. We've got a Mission  ramping up"
- twenty nine palms Marines Special Forces Locker room.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 09:29:21 PM »
I wonder if Hillary will be very disappointed like she was with the last spy. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 03:51:42 PM »
Hillary must be really mad now. 

Iran says 3 detained Americans might be spies 
Posted 8/4/2009 6:30 PM ET 

Unidentified foreign and local tourists are seen at Dokan Resort, where three American hikers were last seen, near Sulaimaniyah, 260 kilometers (160 miles) northeast of Baghdad, Iraq, Monday, Aug. 3, 2009. Iranian authorities have given no word on three Americans detained after reportedly wandering across the border with Iraq last week during a hike in the Iraqi Kurdish region. (AP Photo/Hadi Mizban) 

By Nasser Karimi, Associated Press Writer
TEHRAN, Iran — Iran has arrested three Americans who strayed across the border from Iraq on allegations they illegally entered the country, and a lawmaker said Tuesday that authorities are deciding whether they will be accused of spying.
Officials in northern Iraq's Kurdish region said Sunday that the three -- Shane Bauer, Sarah Shourd and Joshua Fattal -- were tourists who inadvertently crossed into Iran on July 31 while hiking in the region. Friends and family say the three were adventurous travelers who accidentally stumbled into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Their arrest and Iran's accusations could spark a new standoff with the United States at a time when Iran is already mired in its worst political crisis in decades over the disputed June 12 presidential election. Earlier this year, the two countries faced off over American-Iranian journalist Roxana Saberi, who was held for more than three months and accused of spying.

Lawmaker Mohammad Karim Abedi, who heads the Iranian parliament's National Security Committee, said on state-run Arabic television Al-Alam that he believed the three came as spies but authorities are still deciding whether there is proof to bring legal action against them.

"Surely we can say that they came as spies," he said. "The concerned authorities will decide whether they were spies or not," he added. "If it is proven that they were spies, the necessary legal procedures will be sought against them."

. . . .

http://content.usatoday.net/dist/custom/gci/InsidePage.aspx?cId=honoluluadvertiser&sParam=31309255.story

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 03:54:25 PM »
I believe these 3 claimed to be reporters?

if so, it should be easy to document their years of experience in the field and verify their stories.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 03:57:34 PM »
If u go near that border or near nKorea...u know the risks or ur a friggen idiot. Their parents say they were students.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 03:59:30 PM »
Student spies, no doubt. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 04:01:40 PM »
If u go near that border or near nKorea...u know the risks or ur a friggen idiot. Their parents say they were students.

Exactly.  They were warned numerous times and they continued on anyway.  From the news reports, they sound like arrogant, cocky kids who are now knee deep in shit.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 04:05:17 PM »
common sense aint that common anymore

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 04:11:24 PM »
Peace groups and others do this shit. It happens and then is some situations US or other SOF end up having to rescue them, as has happened in Latin America. Sometimes its their fault, sometimes not....these kids are idiots.
L

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 04:23:04 PM »
Peace groups and others do this shit. It happens and then is some situations US or other SOF end up having to rescue them, as has happened in Latin America. Sometimes its their fault, sometimes not....these kids are idiots.

You are going to see a lot more of this.

The rewards for Iran and North Korea for freeing these people ensure this.

In this case Israel has it right. You can't negotiate.

Any American person going near this place is crazy.

Won't be surprised if hostages start being taken in Iraq as well.
Z

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 04:27:33 PM »
If Bill is gonna come visit u, why not..he brings treats. We'll soon see what kind of treats he brought the midget. There are places u go and places u don't. If u go near the Iranian border and u don't have SOCOM backing u up..ur a friggen retard.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 04:59:24 PM »
 :-\

Iran Says 3 Americans Should Stand Trial
Sunday, 01 Aug 2010

Iran reiterated on Sunday that three Americans jailed a year ago should stand trial on charges of illegally crossing the country's borders.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Iran is also considering other possible charges against Shane Bauer, Sarah Shourd and Josh Fattal including intentionally acting against Iranian security, according to a state media report. There has been no indication from Iran so far that formal charges against the three have been filed.

The Americans' families and the U.S. government say the three are innocent and accidentally crossed Iran's border while hiking in northern Iraq.

"The three American citizens have been detained for illegal entry to Iranian territory," Mehmanparast said, according to the website of the state broadcasting company. "So the violation of law is obvious and they should be answerable before the law like any other individual."

Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has in the past proposed swapping the three for Iranians he says are jailed in the U.S., raising fears that the Americans are being held as bargaining chips.

But in his latest remarks, Mehmanparast denied their case was related to Iranians allegedly held in the U.S. Iran claims 11 of its citizens are held in U.S. jails.

"Their case is merely a judicial issue," said Mehmanparast in response to protests in several cities around the world over the weekend to demand the release of the three.

Mehmanparast said the three American prisoners, whom Iran has alleged in the past were spies for the United States, have been offered support from the Swiss embassy. The U.S. broke off ties with Iran after the 1979 Islamic Revolution, and Switzerland handles U.S. interests in Iran.

Shourd, Bauer and Fattal met as students at the University of California at Berkeley. Last summer, Bauer, 28, a freelance journalist, and Shourd, 31, an English teacher, were living in Damascus, Syria. Bauer had just finished a magazine assignment, and Shourd was planning to learn Arabic.

Fattal, 28, had been overseas as a teaching assistant with the International Honors Program since January 2009. During his visit to Damascus, the three decided to take a hiking trip in the Kurdistan region of northern Iraq, according to their families. That is where they were seized by Iranian authorities, who accuse them of illegally crossing their border.

President Barack Obama marked the first anniversary of the jailing of three Americans over the weekend by reiterating that they are guilty of nothing, have never worked for the U.S. government and never had any quarrel with the Iranian government.

Family members on Friday were joined by about 75 supporters outside the Iranian mission to the United Nations in New York. They held mock prison bars and pitched a tent with a sign that read: "Free the hikers. 365 days."

The mothers of the three were allowed a brief visit with their children in Tehran in May and they said they have not received any word since about their children. Iranian officials have not let the families' lawyer see their children since then, and Swiss diplomats who were allowed to visit them several times before the mothers came have not been let back in.

Shourd's mother has said she is concerned for her daughter's health and worried she is not getting proper treatment for a serious gynecological condition. During their visit, she said, her daughter showed her a lump that had recently developed in her breast. She had a mammogram, but had not seen the results, the mother said.

Swiss diplomats have said in the past that Bauer suffered from a stomach ailment but it is not clear whether the condition is persistent.

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ML-Iran-US-Hikers/2010/08/01/id/366264

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 05:21:14 PM »
Since when are there tourists in Iraq?

Exactly, WTF...

National Lampoons Iraqi Vacation

S

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 05:27:05 PM »
If three of them wandered across our borders they would be arrested too.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »
She thought she was going to die.  What's your point?  In any event, here is what she said:

Freed U.S. Reporter Roxana Saberi: Fear Led to My False Confession to Iranian Interrogators

she thought she was going to die?

you mean people give false confessions under duress and fear

that's weird

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 05:37:29 PM »
If three of them wandered across our borders they would be arrested too.

Bwahahaha!  Only in Arizona. 

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 05:41:02 PM »
Bwahahaha!  Only in Arizona. 

Good point  ;D
S

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 05:44:25 PM »
They might benefit from waterboarding. :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2010, 05:53:11 PM »
They might benefit from waterboarding. :)

absolutely

they would immediately tell the truth and admit they are students and then Iran would immediately apologize and let them go

works every time

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:09 AM »
absolutely

they would immediately tell the truth and admit they are students and then Iran would immediately apologize and let them go

works every time
[/quote

There's really no way to tell they aren't spies from news stories. Also, we don't find waterboarding illegal so having it done to our own people shouldn't be a problem.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
absolutely

works every time

There's really no way to tell they aren't spies from news stories. Also, we don't find waterboarding illegal so having it done to our own people shouldn't be a problem.

Many on the right think that waterboarding is not torture and also a very effective way of getting someone to tell the truth so surely no one could object to Iran waterboarding these women.  

I mean it's so effective for getting the truth and not getting false confessions that I don't see how they can  not use it