Author Topic: Timothy Geithner: New taxes may be needed.  (Read 308 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Timothy Geithner: New taxes may be needed.
« on: August 02, 2009, 07:53:02 AM »
Timothy Geithner: New taxes may be needed
Politico ^ | August 2, 2009 | Politico Staff

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 10:47:44 AM by Cheap_Hessian

Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner said in an interview aired Sunday that the administration will do "what's necessary" to revive the economy, and didn't rule out new taxes as a means to do so.

“We’re going to have to look at – we’re going to have to do what’s necessary,” Geithner told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos, host of “This Week.”

“Remember the critical thing is people understand that when we have recovery established, led by the private sector, then we have to bring these deficits down very dramatically. We have to bring them down to a level where the amount we’re borrowing from the world is stable at a reasonable level. And that’s going to require some very hard choices. And we’re going to have to do that in a way that does not add unfairly to the burdens that the average American already faces.”

Pressed on whether he was ruling out new revenues, Geithner said: “[W]e're not at the point yet where we're going to make a judgment about what it's going to take. … I think what the country needs to do is understand we're going to have to do what it takes, we're going to do what's necessary.”

(Excerpt) Read more at politico.com ...

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___

Thanks timmy!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Timothy Geithner: New taxes may be needed.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 12:22:40 PM »
Now Summers is agreeing!

________________________ ________________________ ______________

Summers won't rule out new taxes [BOHICA]
The Hill ^ | 8/02/09 | Michael O'Brien

Posted on Sunday, August 02, 2009 12:29:57 PM by advance_copy

New taxes to help address the long-term budget deficit cannot be ruled out, National Economic Council Director Larry Summers admitted Sunday.

Summers said during an appearance on CBS that "it's never a good idea to absolutely rule things out no matter what" when it comes to the prospect of new taxes.

[snip]

President Obama's top economic adviser said that the efforts to restructure healthcare in the U.S. would be chief among its efforts to reduce the deficit over time, characterizing the administration's attempt for a deficit-neutral reform bill as historically responsible.

"This is the most fiscally responsible approach to introducing a major structural change in the economy that's ever been pursued," Summers said. "There has never been this degree of careful scrutiny of long-run cost impacts."

(Excerpt) Read more at thehill.com ...

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Lately when I read this shit I can't even finish the articles. The looting is plain as day, it makes my stomach turn. I'll be the happiest man alive if ever live long enough to see the countries citizens grow some balls and learn enough to finally round up douche bags like turbo tax timmy and the rest and put them on trial for treason.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
"Fiscally responsible"?

Trillion dollar deficits over a decade is responsible?
Worthless 800 billion dollar "stimulus" bill?
Mass printing of money?
Bailouts for all?
Massaged GDP/U.E. numbers?
The Federal Reserve hiring lobbyists and going on a P.R. blitz?
Health Care Reform that actually costs 10 trillion dollars and will actually drive costs up?
Massive expansion of the Federal Govt.?
Cap and Trade?

Am I fucking missing something?