Author Topic: College Grad sues school for 70G since she cant find a job.  (Read 12593 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
College Grad sues school for 70G since she cant find a job.
« on: August 02, 2009, 10:24:31 AM »
JOBLESS GRAD SUES COLLEGE FOR 70G TUITION
Read Comments Leave a Comment By KATHIANNE BONIELLO
Last updated: 3:45 am
August 2, 2009

She has given new meaning to a class-action lawsuit.

Trina Thompson gave it the old college try, but couldn't find work. Now she thinks her sheepskin wasn't worth her time, and is suing her alma mater for her money back.

The Monroe College grad wants the $70,000 she spent on tuition because she hasn't found gainful employment since earning her bachelor's degree in April, according to a suit filed in Bronx Supreme Court on July 24.

The 27-year-old alleges the business-oriented Bronx school hasn't lived up to its end of the bargain, and has not done enough to find her a job.

The information-technology student blames Monroe's Office of Career Advancement for not providing her with the leads and career advice it promised.

"They have not tried hard enough to help me," the frustrated Bronx resident wrote about the school in her lawsuit.

"She's angry," said Thompson's mother, Carol. "She's very angry at her situation. She put all her faith in them, and so did I. They're not making an effort.

"She's finally finished [with school], and I'm so proud of her. She just wants a job."

The mother and daughter live together, but are struggling to get by. Carol, a substitute teacher, has been the only breadwinner.

"This is not the way we want to live our life," the mom said. "This is not what we planned."

As if being unemployed weren't enough, Trina's student loans are coming due, saddling the family with more debt, the mom said.

"We're going to be homeless, and we'll still have a student loan to pay," Carol said.

Monroe insists it helps graduates in their careers.

"The lawsuit is completely without merit," school spokesman Gary Axelbank said. "The college prides itself on the excellent career-development support that we provide to each of our students, and this case does not deserve further consideration."

The college's Office of Career Advancement advertises lifetime free service for graduates, and boasts on the school's Web site: "We have many resources available for students at any stage of their college career, and even after graduation."

kboniello@nypost.com
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

Actually as silly as this suit is, it might have some merit if the school markets itself and promises students certain salary levels and employment after school.  I remember graduating law school and them telling me the average salary was 70k for graduates at the time and being in Gold's Gym training people for $$$ 9 months later. 

Of course this will get tossed, but I feel bad for this girl, she got taken.  70k for Monroe Business School???? 

She could have went to SUNY or CUNY for a 4 year degree for 40k. 

Like many students, she got taken, has no clue about reality, and will be flipping burgers if she is lucky. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
Re: College Grad sues school for 70G since she cant find a job.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 10:31:40 AM »
Well considering a poll taken by Harvard seniors showed only about 50% of them having jobs at graduation this year, this girl's case isn't anything special. To think, most of them are only $200k+ in the hole.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 10:34:01 AM »
Well considering a poll taken by Harvard seniors showed only about 50% of them having jobs at graduation this year, this girl's case isn't anything special.

Not to mention the millions that are out of work. 

Be that as it may, many of these "business schools" put out a lot of hype to the potential sutdents as far as salaries, rates of employment, etc. 

I would love to see one sue under "false advertising" or something like that. 

I feel bad for this girl, she seems like anice girl who really has no clue what is going on.   

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:36:23 AM »
lolol Monroe college. Give me a break.

Its like suing a gym because you joined and your still fat. There have been lawsuits initiated by students against their former high schools because they received a diploma, but couldn't read. There are no constitutional guarantees to receive employment upon graduating from college-- you get out of education what you put into it. Luck, the economy, personal connections and the like usually mean a lot more than your diploma.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 10:39:05 AM »
lolol Monroe college. Give me a break.

Its like suing a gym because you joined and your still fat. There have been lawsuits initiated by students against their former high schools because they received a diploma, but couldn't read. There are no constitutional guarantees to receive employment upon graduating from college-- you get out of education what you put into it. Luck, the economy, personal connections and the like usually mean a lot more than your diploma.

And having skills that businesses actually need. 

This girl is also screwing herself since potential employers  since no one wants to hire a potential lawsuit in waiting.

If this girl sends me a resume, foregetaboutit!

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 10:56:32 AM »
This is utterly ridiculous but in all honesty Ive thought about it most colleges do not do much to help former students find employment. If I could give my college one piece of advice to take to heart it would be to develop a program that actually helped students find employment instead of just saying hey here are some ppl who said they were hiring go a head and try to contact them. Colleges need to have a department like an employment agency where ppl actively search for jobs for you. As much as we payed for the education I think thats the least they could do.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 10:56:49 AM »
I was on craigslist a while back and saw many jobs for men needing secretaries to do office jobs, and "service" them 1 to 3 times per day.

I thought that was a hilarious little niche.  Probably been around for centuries, but I was oblivious to it.

maybe this girl should work on her "oratory" skills and find one of these jobs?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 11:52:52 AM »

Actually as silly as this suit is, it might have some merit if the school markets itself and promises students certain salary levels and employment after school.  I remember graduating law school and them telling me the average salary was 70k for graduates at the time and being in Gold's Gym training people for $$$ 9 months later. 

Of course this will get tossed, but I feel bad for this girl, she got taken.  70k for Monroe Business School???? 

She could have went to SUNY or CUNY for a 4 year degree for 40k. 

Like many students, she got taken, has no clue about reality, and will be flipping burgers if she is lucky. 

No school has ever “promised” that to any prospective or current student.

Everyone likes to think of themselves as above average, but clearly that is not the case.  The most talented, highly motivated, and hard working students will, in the end, do better than those who do not share those qualities.  A variety of things the school has no control over (personality of the student, family and professional connections, etc.) also play a big role in a graduate’s future prospects.

To the extent they think about it at all, students often think it is them vs. the professor.  Wrong.  It is you vs. the other students.  That is were the competition exists, and it is not the school’s fault that a given student is being beaten out by the competition when it comes to a competitive job market.  Who ever heard of the “Monroe Business School” anyway? ???

I feel bad for this girl, but there is nothing unique about her situation. ::)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 12:11:35 PM »
No school has ever “promised” that to any prospective or current student.

Everyone likes to think of themselves as above average, but clearly that is not the case.  The most talented, highly motivated, and hard working students will, in the end, do better than those who do not share those qualities.  A variety of things the school has no control over (personality of the student, family and professional connections, etc.) also play a big role in a graduate’s future prospects.

To the extent they think about it at all, students often think it is them vs. the professor.  Wrong.  It is you vs. the other students.  That is were the competition exists, and it is not the school’s fault that a given student is being beaten out by the competition when it comes to a competitive job market.  Who ever heard of the “Monroe Business School” anyway? ???

I feel bad for this girl, but there is nothing unique about her situation. ::)

I get interns in my office (Never had a hot chick intern though  :-[ :-[) and before anything I sit them down for an hour and tell them about the "real world" vs the garbage they are taught in college.  Most come to me filled with such bad information its sad.  They are like helpless little robots. 

At first they act very surprised and shocked at how blunt I am, but almost to a tee, they are all grateful later on.  Its the first thing I do. 

I had one past intern tell me I was the only one who was ever honest to him about the job market, market, economy, etc and that what he learned with me in one hour was more than 4 years of college.     

I feel bad for recent college grads since their "education" is so bad, so lacking, so deficient, that they have no clue how bad off they really are right now. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 01:49:31 PM »
Alumni Use Old School Ties to Find Work
By JAN HOFFMAN

THE last time Miriam Korn Haimes used Syracuse University’s career services, she was a kid. Twenty-one? Twenty-two, maybe?

When you’re the Class of ’76, that’s ancient history. The bachelor’s degree nestles at the bottom of a rich résumé filled with professional benchmarks, including a 23-year career at JPMorgan Chase, topped by the title of senior vice president.

“I hadn’t kept up with the university at all,” said Ms. Haimes, of Montclair, N.J. “It was so long ago.”

Until this spring, when Ms. Haimes’s department was relocated to Columbus, Ohio, and she found herself unemployed.

In the new world order of job searches, networking is everything, so she gamely dusted off her 33-year-old Syracuse affiliation. Armed with her business card and her 60-second “I’m in transition” speech, she went recently to a cocktail party for alumni. There, another Orangewoman gave her a tip: the university’s career center is not just for undergraduates but for older alumni, too.

Syracuse counselors have since critiqued Ms. Haimes’s résumé, helped tweak her job search and offered to connect her with graduates in related fields. “It’s all free,” said Ms. Haimes, in wonderment. “No one’s asked for a donation. But if I get a job, I’ll give them a large one.”

For the unemployed, the standing advice about how to find work involves doggedly attending job fairs and reaching out to everyone in your e-mail address book. But increasingly, a lesser-known avenue with the potential to be effective, thanks to the emotional bonds formed during undergraduate years, turns out to be the alma mater.

In the last year, as the recession and a 9.5 percent unemployment rate have slowed the economy, schools have been amending their pitches to older graduates. Typically, undergraduate institutions offer standard-fare golf tournaments and wine-tasting reunions — hoping to tap nostalgia and shake loose donations. Now, they are providing an expanding array of career services, including panels of alumni experts, professional affinity networks, personal coaching and job listings, support that is becoming a fixture of business and law programs. Old school ties, they suggest, can have new currency, even urgency.

Magnanimous, yes; selfless, no. Career guidance for older alumni can benefit schools as well. It freshens loyalties that may have been mothballed for decades.

“If we’re understanding toward alumni, they’ll be grateful and invest in their alma mater,” said Laura Denbow, executive director of Bucknell’s alumni relations and career services office. “Alumni support is not only financial in nature. It’s providing access to their organizations and their expertise. Sometimes, that can be more valuable.”

The programs may come through an alumni office, a career center or a service linking both. In September, Bucknell sent an e-mail message to 47 alumni at the collapsing Lehman Brothers, offering the support of the school’s career counseling services, a network of 600 alumni in financial professions and a job database. In April, Middlebury College assembled an evening panel in downtown Manhattan — “Career Advice for Tough Times on Wall Street” — featuring graduates at Goldman Sachs and the Blackstone Group, as well as a career services representative from the college.

IN May, Notre Dame started face-to-face events and a coordinated Web site for undergraduate and graduate-school alumni, with links to professional networks, a career counseling hot line, job listings and a vast alumni database. Throughout the year, Lehigh presented job-skills Web seminars, usually at a lunchtime hour. The New York City alumni association of Howard University is planning career transition seminars. Northwestern is designing panels on midcareer advice and recession-era lifestyle adjustments this year.

In a world upended by deep recession, these programs are examples of what goes around, comes around. When Ellen Barresi, Notre Dame ’93, was a division chief financial officer in New York City, she would post openings for her own teams on Notre Dame job boards. Recently unemployed, she now peruses those same listings. When she lands interviews at corporations, she checks for alumni who may work there.

“If you find someone who can tell you something about the company, that can give you an edge,” she said. “And that can be through school ties.”

Not that donations, as a byproduct of such efforts, would be frowned upon. For 18 years, David Monson, Lehigh ’90, had worked for a national car rental agency, rising to regional sales director. In February, he lost his job when his company downsized. He had not been an especially generous alumnus. But scrambling for connections, Mr. Monson, a father of two young children, called his alma mater. He was stunned. “They said, right from the get-go, ‘We’d love to help you out,’ ” he said.

Mr. Monson had been moping around the house in sweatpants. The counselor set him up with instructional Web seminars and an action plan. Every few weeks, “She would call to see that I was on target,” he said. Two weeks ago, he started a new job as a vice president for a specialty shipping company. “ I’ll be looser with the wrist in terms of writing that alumni check,” he said.

The notion of helping out older alumni is spreading. In June, Lori Kennedy, whose wonderfully euphemistic title at Lehigh is “director of alumni career solutions,” gave a Web seminar for 40 schools about setting up such programs. In 2002, following the employment downturn after the 9/11 attacks and the dot-com bust, Lehigh realized that its career counselors, trained to help new graduates, couldn’t meet the needs of midcareer professionals. It created an extensive online and personalized career service for all graduates. “Last year we served 2,000 alumni,” Ms. Kennedy said. “This year it was 4,000.”

Working with older alumni requires understanding their particular psychological challenges. Worried about their children and legacy issues, these graduates have “the sort of burdens and responsibilities that an 18-year-old may not think of,” said Ms. Denbow of Bucknell. “They worked so hard to get where they are and when that organization fails them, they have a lot of anger. They’re asking, ‘Do I want to go on in that rat race?’ ”

Web seminars, or Webinars, have become increasingly popular with older alumni, not least because they can provide polite, anonymous cover for those who may feel abashed about seeking help through an institution that was a hallmark of their distant youth.

And so thousands of alumni, their undergraduate years a dim memory, are dialing in for refresher courses. Advanced-level Résumé Writing. Informational Interviews. And that required course for the middle-aged: Navigating Social Networking Sites.

In one such Webinar, a tidbit of old-school relief came to Kitty Boynton, Cornell ’76. For 18 years, she had worked as a career counselor in the police department in Orlando, Fla. Two years ago, she quit to become a life coach for private clients. The economy sucker-punched that dream. Last month, she attended a Webinar on networking techniques, joined by Cornellians whose graduating years ranged from 1964 to 2010.

“I’m a troglodyte when it comes to technology,” Ms. Boynton said. “I assumed that after making contact with someone, I’d be expected to communicate through e-mail or a social media. But the instructor said that an e-mail is when you care enough to send the very least. A good old-fashioned handwritten thank-you note is still the best. O.K.! I thought I’d have to learn to Twitter or something.”

ON occasion, the alma mater inadvertently offers a sip at the fountain of youth. Chuck Megivern graduated from Lehigh as an electrical engineer with a pocket protector and slide rule in 1974, when rowdier graduates were listening to the Doobie Brothers and Kiss. He spent his entire career at a Fortune 500 technology company, eventually at its plant in Burlington, Vt. Two years ago, Mr. Megivern began worrying about layoffs — just about the time his youngest child was accepted to Lehigh.

On the school’s Web site, he spotted the alumni career services program. Methodically, he worked his way through the online seminars. Over the phone, Ms. Kennedy gave him additional counseling. Last fall, a Burlington start-up, Dealer.com, was seeking a software developer. He opened Ms. Kennedy’s handout. “Page 30,” Mr. Megivern said. “ ‘Interview Skills.’  ”

Then, salary negotiations. “I kept making emergency calls to Lori,” Mr. Megivern said. “She would say, ‘Consider this factor, consider that one.’ ”

He started the new job in March. In a sense, he has come full circle, living something of the free-spirited life envisioned by many of his generation. The company has bean bag chairs in the conference room, a gym and a cafeteria with organic food. He bikes to work.

In June, 35 years after graduating from Lehigh, Mr. Megivern attended his first college reunion there. “I gave Lehigh a little money, too,” he said. “Not enough to name a building after me.”

But, Mr. Megivern noted, “They are getting a much larger amount as well — my daughter’s tuition.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/fashion/02alumni.html?hpw

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 01:52:28 PM »
I worked for a while at the career center at my university. 

I saw a TON of kids come in, a month before graduation, with the same story:

"i'm a communcations major.  I need a good job.  i'd like to be a manager.  And I wouldn't mind working in fashion.  I worked for 3 summers at Harpoon Harry's as a waitress.  I don't have a resume yet.  Can you find a job for me?"

Same thing every time... :(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 02:10:47 PM »
This is utterly ridiculous but in all honesty Ive thought about it most colleges do not do much to help former students find employment. If I could give my college one piece of advice to take to heart it would be to develop a program that actually helped students find employment instead of just saying hey here are some ppl who said they were hiring go a head and try to contact them. Colleges need to have a department like an employment agency where ppl actively search for jobs for you. As much as we payed for the education I think thats the least they could do.

Virtually every school has a career services office (CSO)  that helps graduates with career prospects, but the key word there is “helps.”  You can’t walk into a CSO and expect them to wave a magic wand and put three great job offers on the table for you to choose from. 

As George Whorewell notes above with his gym analogy, you still have to do all the work to get results.  The reality is there are a lot of bozos graduating from college who do not appreciate the work necessary to successfully transition from student to employee.  This has always been true for kids majoring in “soft” subjects but it is increasingly true for kids with all kinds of majors.  Can campus CSOs do a better job. Probably, but no amount of work on their part is going to make up for the poor execution of some bozo degree holder who doesn’t understand what it takes to be competitive: resourceful, smart, cover letter, resume, interview skills, etc.

JOCKTHEGLIDE

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 10:27:43 PM »
connections are great my friends,,,I have connections at ASU myself I know a CEO of a company who donated millions to ASU technologhy dept,,,but during the crash his company crashed with it he got back with some of his fellow collegues who he knew through donatinos and now they made him CFO of the same place that he donated the money

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:47 PM »
Virtually every school has a career services office (CSO)  that helps graduates with career prospects, but the key word there is “helps.”  You can’t walk into a CSO and expect them to wave a magic wand and put three great job offers on the table for you to choose from. 

As George Whorewell notes above with his gym analogy, you still have to do all the work to get results.  The reality is there are a lot of bozos graduating from college who do not appreciate the work necessary to successfully transition from student to employee.  This has always been true for kids majoring in “soft” subjects but it is increasingly true for kids with all kinds of majors.  Can campus CSOs do a better job. Probably, but no amount of work on their part is going to make up for the poor execution of some bozo degree holder who doesn’t understand what it takes to be competitive: resourceful, smart, cover letter, resume, interview skills, etc.

I totally agree, but my point is for what students pay for college these days that aspect of the services offered should be much more comprehensive and in depth. Be realistic but do indeed help a person get a foot in the door somewhere. Most colleges I know simply have a data base where employers can post job openings thats no different then going onto monster.com which is just assine when you think that you paid this college 10's of thousands for an education. I just dont think its to much to ask to develop a better program to help place recent grads.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »
I totally agree, but my point is for what students pay for college these days that aspect of the services offered should be much more comprehensive and in depth. Be realistic but do indeed help a person get a foot in the door somewhere. Most colleges I know simply have a data base where employers can post job openings thats no different then going onto monster.com which is just assine when you think that you paid this college 10's of thousands for an education. I just dont think its to much to ask to develop a better program to help place recent grads.
I agree. After I graduated I was basically on my own in job search. Yes, I found a couple jobs relating to my field, but nothing that was paying great. At the most I was making $18/hr and I look back on the 2 years I spent in school and felt like it wasn't worth it. If I was to go back to college it would be in a field that's guaranteed at least 70 plus a year.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:07:59 AM »
I agree. After I graduated I was basically on my own in job search. Yes, I found a couple jobs relating to my field, but nothing that was paying great. At the most I was making $18/hr and I look back on the 2 years I spent in school and felt like it wasn't worth it. If I was to go back to college it would be in a field that's guaranteed at least 70 plus a year.

$18 an hour????

Shit, when I graduated law school, the best out there was 60 hours a week for 40k a year.

big man

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 05:22:58 AM »
$18 an hour????

Shit, when I graduated law school, the best out there was 60 hours a week for 40k a year.
$18/hr is good money if your by yourself, but I'm 4 kids deep now. It was the most I made, very temporary threw a temp service.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 05:33:32 AM »
$18/hr is good money if your by yourself, but I'm 4 kids deep now. It was the most I made, very temporary threw a temp service.

I will tell you this, until I went in my own business, I did not understand a damn thing about the economy and how to make good money. 

Figure out what you really like to do, what you are good at, and see if you can make a living doing it. 

Do it on the side first since you have obligations and see if you can gradually increase the business for yourself.

I started out of my parents basement.   

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 07:47:12 AM »

You said it yourself; you paid the school for an education.  The school is not an employment agency.  That service exists in the real world and if you want that you can always go pay for it elsewhere.  Should the school provide you with a three-piece suit and a haircut in preparation for your job as well?  I think your expectations are a little unrealistic.  Think about how many people graduate from school every year.  No university—not even the best ones--can reasonably be expected to take on the task of finding every single graduate a job.

Schools have CSO (some with job listings) and alumni affairs offices with all kinds of databases.  It doesn’t take a genius to connect those dots and start making job contacts.  The smart, resourceful kids do that and they land jobs.  The helpless bozos whine that the school didn’t do enough to find them a job.

As 240 indicated, if you majored in psychology, have no experience, and wonder into the CSO and expect them to find you job then, yes, you are bound to be disappointed.  My brother runs his own consulting company and routinely sends me some of the resumes he receives from new college grads.  Yikes!  More robust placement services do exist at the graduate level in professional fields, btw.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 09:04:38 AM »
You said it yourself; you paid the school for an education.  The school is not an employment agency.  That service exists in the real world and if you want that you can always go pay for it elsewhere.  Should the school provide you with a three-piece suit and a haircut in preparation for your job as well?  I think your expectations are a little unrealistic.  Think about how many people graduate from school every year.  No university—not even the best ones--can reasonably be expected to take on the task of finding every single graduate a job.

Schools have CSO (some with job listings) and alumni affairs offices with all kinds of databases.  It doesn’t take a genius to connect those dots and start making job contacts.  The smart, resourceful kids do that and they land jobs.  The helpless bozos whine that the school didn’t do enough to find them a job.

As 240 indicated, if you majored in psychology, have no experience, and wonder into the CSO and expect them to find you job then, yes, you are bound to be disappointed.  My brother runs his own consulting company and routinely sends me some of the resumes he receives from new college grads.  Yikes!  More robust placement services do exist at the graduate level in professional fields, btw.

I didnt pay for a gym but go that with tuition as well, didnt pay for football tickets but got that as well...WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED AND BE MUCH MORE COMPREHENSIVE BAY...I totally agree with you on your points but the placement programs in alot of colleges are abissmal and again equate to nothing more then going onto monster.com this shouldnt be the case I dont know if youve priced colleges these days but they arent cheap and get more expensive by the semester. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 09:06:47 AM »
I didnt pay for a gym but go that with tuition as well, didnt pay for football tickets but got that as well...WHAT IM SAYING IS THAT IT SHOULD BE INCLUDED AND BE MUCH MORE COMPREHENSIVE BAY...I totally agree with you on your points but the placement programs in alot of colleges are abissmal and again equate to nothing more then going onto monster.com this shouldnt be the case I dont know if youve priced colleges these days but they arent cheap and get more expensive by the semester. 

From a personal point of view, I think colleges are a complete failure in preparing students for the employment market. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »
From a personal point of view, I think colleges are a complete failure in preparing students for the employment market. 
I totally agree...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »
I totally agree...

The colleges are also very dishonest in failing to acknowledge why many students go there, not only for the education, but the prospect of good employment. 

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 10:35:27 AM »
Go look at a lot of for-profit trade schools for like auto mechanics and the like...

They recruit people with the '98% job placement' claims...  Then most people who get out find themselves 40K in debt or more and with limited or no job prospects.

The only way a school can promise you a job is if they are going to be offering it to you.

Also consider that 50% of people coming out of college aren't going to be able to hack it wherever they end up. Most attendies at college job fairs are going to be having jobs you really don't want to do.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 10:38:29 AM »
Go look at a lot of for-profit trade schools for like auto mechanics and the like...

They recruit people with the '98% job placement' claims...  Then most people who get out find themselves 40K in debt or more and with limited or no job prospects.

The only way a school can promise you a job is if they are going to be offering it to you.

Also consider that 50% of people coming out of college aren't going to be able to hack it wherever they end up. Most attendies at college job fairs are going to be having jobs you really don't want to do.

This is why we should be really pushing apprenticships.