Author Topic: Muscular density  (Read 2474 times)

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
Muscular density
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:09:35 AM »
Can you really increase the density of your muscles?

Due to recent posts, I feel to question.

Arnold and others back in the day claim training powerlifting style increases muscular density, giving you a more rugged look.

Isn't it just an issue of subcutaneous fat and water?

Discuss.

spinnis

Re: Muscular density
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:09 AM »
Can you really increase the density of your muscles?

Due to recent posts, I feel to question.

Arnold and others back in the day claim training powerlifting style increases muscular density, giving you a more rugged look.

Isn't it just an issue of subcutaneous fat and water?

Discuss.

The equation is a simple one. The bigger the muscle = the more dense it is.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:12:56 AM »
all in the genes....... altho the high intensity trainers tend to have this look, such as the great dorian yates...

muscular density is lacking in a lot of todays bodybuilders as they all favour the insulin look, big full sponge like muscles...

suckmymuscle

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:20:35 AM »
The equation is a simple one. The bigger the muscle = the more dense it is.

Wrong. Density means mass per volume. So a denser muscle is one that has more muscle fibers per given volume of muscle than a less dense muscle. Since fat and water lay between muscle fibers, a denser muscle is one that has less fat and water between muscle fibers. This also means that density can only be increased up to a certain point. After all fat and water has beeen removed from between muscle fibers, density reaches it's maximum level and cannot be increased.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:28:08 AM »
  Wrong. Density means mass per volume. So a denser muscle is one that has more muscle fibers per given volume of muscle than a less dense muscle. Since fat and water lay between muscle fibers, a denser muscle is one that has less fat and water between muscle fibers. This also means that density can only be increased up to a certain point. After all fat and water has beeen removed from between muscle fibers, density reaches it's maximum level and cannot be increased.

SUCKMYMUSCLE

Density is mass per volume. of that i agree :D

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:36 AM »
Hypertrophy is muscular volume increase. Density increase is hyperplasia IMO. It's argued that steroids only aid in hypertrophy while IGF-1 can create hyperplasia.

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
igf is bunk.... thought that was common knoledge these days.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »
igf is bunk.... thought that was common knoledge these days.

I don't know what to believe these days. The claims of IGF1 are still on wikipedia.

hazbin

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 11:50:59 AM »
i remember reading a steroid manual from the 90's and it talked about drugs that increased density of muscle without size increase but increase in strength. other drugs were purported to increase size with no increase in bodyweight, thereby decreasing density.

MethodGNA

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Been Real_Been Nice...But it Hasn't Been Real Nice
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:21 PM »
Hypertrophy is muscular volume increase. Density increase is hyperplasia IMO. It's argued that steroids only aid in hypertrophy while IGF-1 can create hyperplasia.

the jury is still out on igf-1 (it does do what you claim, but i mean its efficacy in bodybuilding) , but HGH definatly gives you a grainer, more dense look...............i have seeen it occure with many many guys, and myself as well........

but guys with grainy muscles..............guy s like rich gaspari, yates, paco buatista............that is mainly genetic, like veins........

also, muscles often get a denser look with time.................you often hear people describe it as that "old man" muscles when referring to bodybuilding.

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »

also, muscles often get a denser look with time.................you often hear people describe it as that "old man" muscles when referring to bodybuilding.

Yeah I agree. Sylvester Stallone is a good example.
Hence my avatar slogan too.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 12:30:50 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!
X

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 12:46:02 PM »
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

thats not kai green

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »
all in the genes....... altho the high intensity trainers tend to have this look, such as the great dorian yates...

muscular density is lacking in a lot of todays bodybuilders as they all favour the insulin look, big full sponge like muscles...

Good answer. Scientific studies and biopsies of muscle tissue have proven this. I would say true muscular density is something that stays with you for the rest of your life.

The SpongeBob look fades when the drugs inducing the sponginess are removed, and then you have nothing.

I suppose it depends also on whether or not you had a solid base (naturally built) in the first place, which brings us right back to the genetic equation.

The older bodybuilders had more muscle "density" than today's extreme portable pharmacies with legs.

hench

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 01:30:10 PM »
hardly any pro's today have the dense or rugged look, more glossy smooth and bloated

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 03:10:44 PM »
thats not kai green

that's Jerome Fergusson

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 06:33:03 PM »