Poll

What group most closely describes your belief system?

Catholic
4 (11.4%)
Baptist
2 (5.7%)
Mainline Christian (Methodist, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Episcopalian/Anglican, United Church of Christ etc)
2 (5.7%)
Generic Christian (Christian Unspecified, Non-Denominational, Christian, Protestant Unspecified, Evangelical/Born Again)
9 (25.7%)
Pentecostal/Charismatic (Pentecostal Unspecified, Assemblies of God, Church of God)
0 (0%)
Jewish
0 (0%)
Muslim/Islam
1 (2.9%)
Buddhist
0 (0%)
New Age
0 (0%)
No Religion
3 (8.6%)
Agnostic
3 (8.6%)
Atheist
7 (20%)
Jehovah's Witnesses
0 (0%)
Mormon
0 (0%)
Scientology
0 (0%)
Christian Universalism (rejects eternal punishment in hell)
3 (8.6%)
Unitarian Universalism
1 (2.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: POLL: What belief system most closely describes your own?  (Read 2347 times)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
POLL: What belief system most closely describes your own?
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
HM, let me know if I need to change anything.

Anyone want something added, please post or PM me.

R

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: POLL: What belief system most closely describes your own?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 05:42:38 PM »
hmmm I would have thought more ppl would have voted for the one that had more specific denominations.

Whats the difference between baptist and the other denominations that you gave it its own choice and lumped the other ones in together?

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
  • What is the most common form of stupidity?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 07:51:02 PM »
Whats the difference between baptist and the other denominations that you gave it its own choice and lumped the other ones in together?

Hmm make take a few post to answer that properly but I will give you the Paul Harvey version.

Although both Baptist and the so called "Mainline or Protestant" denominations believe in the death, burial, resurrection, and ascension of Christ they differ in the following:

Apologetics (Defending the Faith)
Eschatology (End time teachings)
Biblical Hermeneutics (Principles and interpretation)
Exegesis (Interpretation of biblical text)
Christology (The person and work of Jesus)
Pneumatology (The person and work of the Holy Spirit)
Soteriology (Salvation)
Divine providence (How much control does really God have?)

Hence the reason for so many different denominations.

HM

P.S. I voted incorrectly I meant to vote "Mainline" because I belong to an Orthodox Presbyterian Church (OPC).
W

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
HM, let me know if I need to change anything.

Anyone want something added, please post or PM me.

Catholic and Baptist should be sorted under Christian.

Catholicism is one of three main Christian branches - Catholicism, Orthodox and Protestantism. The Angelical church could be considered a separate branch as well. But that's really nitpicking it.
As empty as paradise

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 04:11:15 AM »

Catholicism is one of three main Christian branches - Catholicism, Orthodox and Protestantism. The Angelical church could be considered a separate branch as well. But that's really nitpicking it.

who cares?
G

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:00:32 AM »

True, Catholicism and Baptist are considered Christian churches but the system/s of belief differ from the protestant churches and that is why they are separated from the others. Doctrines of these churches differ between Cats, Baps and Protestant/ reformed churches that is why I chose to separate. There is a huge difference in liturgical practices even in the protestant churches but the liturgy practiced in protestant churches are very similiar because of their system or doctrinal beliefs. Anyway, good point.

HM

W

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:21:20 PM »
damn I didn't think the No religion one would be so unpopular, lol

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 06:36:42 AM »
damn I didn't think the No religion one would be so unpopular, lol

That is interesting.  I wonder if those that voted Atheist saw that one or think there is a difference between the 2 or not?
R

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 07:12:48 PM »
you forgot Orthodox.

came from a Orthodox/Eastern Catholic back round.

I wouldn't say this closely describes my own beliefs, was only putting it up there.

Hustle Man

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 01:07:50 PM »
you forgot Orthodox.

came from a Orthodox/Eastern Catholic back round.
I wouldn't say this closely describes my own beliefs, was only putting it up there.
Please visit this site http://www.ocf.org/OrthodoxPage/reading/ortho_cath.html to get the full article. I only posted a few points from each discussion.

WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN ORTHODOXY AND ROMAN CATHOLICISM?
By Father Michael Azkoul
St. Catherine Mission, St. Louis, MO

This question has been asked many times. Most Orthodox, in attempting to distinguish between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, usually mention the Pope or Purgatory, sometimes the filioque. Historically, the differences, however, are far more numerous and quite profound.

Also, in modern times, since Vatican II of thirty years ago, that major, if not tragic attempt, to "update" Roman Catholicism (e.g., the revision of canon law), the differences between Orthodoxy and the followers of the Pope have widened.

However, the concern will be those differences which have grown since Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism separated almost a thousand years ago.

1. Faith and Reason
Following the Holy Fathers, Orthodoxy uses science and philosophy to defend and explain her Faith. Unlike Roman Catholicism, she does not build on the results of philosophy and science.

2. The Development of Doctrine
The Orthodox Church does not endorse the view that the teachings of Christ have changed from time to time; rather that Christianity has remained unaltered from the moment that the Lord delivered the Faith to the Apostles (Matt. 28: 18-20). She affirms that "the faith once delivered to the saints" (Jude 3) is now what it was in the beginning. Orthodox of the twentieth century believe precisely what was believed by Orthodox of the first, the fifth, the tenth, the fifteenth centuries.

3. God
Roman Catholicism teaches that human reason can prove that God is; and, even infer that He is eternal, infinite, good, bodiless, almighty, all-knowing, etc. He is "most real being," "true being." Humans are like Him (analogous), but we are imperfect being. The God of Roman Catholicism, born in the Latin Middle Ages, is not " the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, but the God of the savants and the philosohers," to adapt the celebrated phrase of Blaise Pascal.

4. Christ
Why did God become man? The Roman Catholic answer to this question differs from the teachings of the Holy Orthodox Church.

Following the holy Fathers, Orthodoxy teaches that Christ, on the Cross, gave "His life a ransom for many" (Matt. 20:28). "For even the Son of man came not to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). The "ransom" is paid to the grave. As the Lord revealed to the Prophet Hosea (Hosea 13:14), "I will ransom them (us) from the power of the grave, I will redeem them from death." In a sense, He pays the ransom to the devil who has the keeper of the grave and holds the power of death (Heb. 2:14).

5. The Church 
The Roman Catholic view of the Church (ecclesiology) differs from the Orthodox teaching on this subject in several ways.

The Latins teach that the visible head of the Church is the Pope, the successor to St. Peter, who was appointed to that sacred position by the Lord Himself with the words, "Thou art Peter and upon this rock I shall build my Church . . . " (Matt. 16:18).

The Pope is, then, "the Bishop of the Catholic Church," her teacher, the vicar (agent, deputy) of Christ on earth. He is the interpreter of the Christian Tradition. When he speaks for the whole Church (ex cathedra), the Holy Spirit does not permit him to err. He is, therefore, infallible on matters of morals and doctrine. Other bishops are his lieutenants. He is the symbol of the episcopate's unity.

The Orthodox Church teaches that all bishops are equal. To be sure, there are different ranks of bishops (patriarch, archbishop, metropolitan, bishop); nevertheless, a bishop is a bishop. Such differences apply to the administration of a church or group of churches, not to the nature of the bishop. The president of a synod of bishops is called archbishop (Greek custom) or metropolitan (Russian custom).

6. The Holy Canons
A canon is a "rule" or "guide" for governing The Church. Canons were composed by the Apostles, the Fathers, the local or regional and general or ecumenical Councils (in Latin) or Synods (in Greek). Only the bishop, as head of the church, applies them. He may use them "strictly" (akreveia) or "leniently" (economia). "Strictness" is the norm.

7. The Mysteries
Both the Orthodox and the Roman Catholics recognize at least seven Sacraments or Mysteries: The Eucharist, Baptism, Chrismation, Ordination, Penance, Marriage and Holy Oil for the sick (which the Latins have traditionally called "Extreme Unction" and reserved for the dying).

Concerning the Sacraments in general, the Orthodox teach that their material elements (bread, wine, water, chrism, etc.) become grace-filled by the calling of the Holy Spirit (epiklesis). Roman Catholicism believes that the Sacraments are effective on account of the priest who acts "in the person of Christ."

8. The Nature of Man
Human nature was created good, even in communion with the blessed Trinity which made "him." Male and female were created "in the likeness and image of God" (Gen. 1:26): "likeness" in virtue; "image" meaning to rule the earth rationally, to act wisely and freely. The woman was made as a "help-meet" to the man (Gen. 2:18; I Cor. 11:8-9). They were to live together in harmony and mutual respect.

So far Roman Catholicism agrees with the Church; it differs with Orthodoxy on the nature of man's fall and the human condition. Following Augustine of Hippo, the Latins teach that Adam and Eve sinned against God. The guilt of their sin has been inherited by every man, woman and child after them. All humanity is liable for their "original sin."

9. The Mother of God
The doctrine of the place and person of the Virgin Mary in the Church is called "mariology." Both Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism believe she is "Mother of God" (Theotokos, Deipare) and "the Ever-Virgin Mary."

However, the Orthodox reject the Roman Catholic "dogma of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary," which was defined as "of the faith" by Pope Pius IX, on the 8th of December 1854. This dogma holds that from the first instant of her conception, the Blessed Virgin Mary was, by a most singular grace and privilege of Almighty God, and in view of the merits of Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of the human race, preserved from all stain of Original Sin. It is a doctrine revealed by God, and therefore to be firmly and steadfastly believed by all the faithful (from the Bull Ineffabilis Deus).

10. Icons
The icon is an artistic depiction of Christ, the Mother of God and the Saints. God the Father cannot be painted, because He has never been seen. God the Holy Spirit has appeared as a dove and as "tongues of fire." He may be shown in this way. God the Son became a man, and He may be painted in His human form.

11. Purgatory
Purgatory is a condition of the departed before the final judgment. According to Roman Catholic theology, those souls destined for heaven (with a few exceptions) must endure a state of purgation, or purification. They must be cleansed of the sins committed on earth. The rest go to hell for eternal punishment.

12. Other Differences
There are other minor differences between the Orthodox Church and Roman Catholicism.

The Orthodox do not fast on Saturday (except Holy Saturday) or Sunday. Roman Catholics experience no such restriction.

Orthodox do not kneel on Sunday; Roman Catholics do. Orthodox have no "Stations of The Cross;" Roman Catholics do.

Orthodox presbyters and deacons may marry before ordination; Roman Catholic clergy are celibate.

Orthodox worship towards the East; Roman Catholics, not necessarily.

In the Orthodox Liturgy, the "bread" of the Eucharist is "leavened" (zyme); in the Roman Catholic Mass it is "unleavened" (azyme).

The Orthodox faithful receive both the "body" and "blood of Christ" in Holy Communion; Roman Catholics receive only the "bread," a wafer.

There are no orders of Orthodox monks (male and female) as there is among Roman Catholics (Jesuits, Dominicans, Benedictines, Cistericans, etc.). More recently, many Roman Catholic monks and nuns have put away their traditional habits.

Orthodox clergy wear beards; Papist clergy are generally beardless.

There are many other differences, often the product of culture. Also, it is noteworthy that many of these differences, whether profound or not, do not apply to the contemporary religious situation. Ecumenism has brought great confusion, so that it is not always easy to say with any precision what Roman Catholics believe, while so-called Orthodox have abandoned the traditional teachings of the Church.

HM
W

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 06:29:30 PM »
Pure, Grade A 100% Baptist   :)
Masters- 50-54
148#

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 11:51:37 AM »
where's the still confused category :D

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:30 AM »
STella, you completely forgot all about the Flying Spaghetti monster when compiling your list.  :o
He's gonna be maaaaaad. pretty soon, ...you're gonna get 30 lashes with a limp noodle.
w

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 06:14:17 AM »
STella, you completely forgot all about the Flying Spaghetti monster when compiling your list.  :o
He's gonna be maaaaaad. pretty soon, ...you're gonna get 30 lashes with a limp noodle.

STella did not forget.  That goes under "Atheist", since it was an atheist who created the Flying Spaghetti monster, its religion, and it is atheists who worship it.

Dropkick

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 03:14:43 PM »
Atheism is definitely not a belief system.

Atheism is the absence of belief.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2009, 02:28:05 PM »
Great question for atheists:

If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, where do we look to determine what is good or bad, right or wrong?

liberalismo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 05:25:42 AM »
Great question for atheists:

If these concepts are merely social constructions, or human opinions, where do we look to determine what is good or bad, right or wrong?

Common sense?

The flying spaghetti monster?

Mel Gibson?

The truth is that it doesn't matter where we are supposed to look for morality. Maybe nowhere, maybe everywhere. This isn't evidence for a God. The truth is, and all real philosophers agree, that religion is a flawed moral framework. It doesn't work. It's morally bankrupt. While, on the other hand, there are tons of secular moral philosophies out there.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 05:41:28 AM »

Common sense?

The flying spaghetti monster?

Mel Gibson?

The truth is that it doesn't matter where we are supposed to look for morality. Maybe nowhere, maybe everywhere. This isn't evidence for a God. The truth is, and all real philosophers agree, that religion is a flawed moral framework. It doesn't work. It's morally bankrupt. While, on the other hand, there are tons of secular moral philosophies out there.

And who exactly defines which philosophers are "real" and which ones aren't again?

Or, put another way, who defines these "secular moral philosophies"?