Author Topic: Snake Oil Sellers Behaving Badly  (Read 671 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Snake Oil Sellers Behaving Badly
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:19:34 AM »
Yeah, keep selling that crap... :P

Submitted: 9/4/2006 5:45:34 PM
Modified: 12/23/2008 7:13:39 PM 
Glenn
Henderson, Nevada

Ripoff Report Verified Safe
Before you put any FFI MPG-CAPS in your vehicle or jump on their MLM bandwagon READ THIS:

One of my best friends gave me a few FFI MPG-CAPS to try in my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse. I bought the car new 09/99, had 65,000 miles on it and NEVER had any fuel system problems. As suggested, I added 2 pills to a tank full of gas. I immediately saw a boost from 17mpg in town to approx. 24 and car seemed to have more power too. Thus, I was happy and continued to add 1 pill to each tank of gas.

After the 4th tank of gas, my car started to act like it had vapor lock. If you're not familiar with the term, it means your vehicle suddenly loses all or partial power as if your gas pedal has been disconnected. This can be VERY scary & dangerous if you are on a freeway like I was and stuck in a center lane going 15 or 20mph while people whiz around you at 75+.

I'll spare you all the details. Despite my friend swearing that the FFI pills have never caused anything like this, I stopped using the pills. The vapor lock slowly disappeared. After 3 or 4 tanks of gas without the pills, the car seemed back to normal and I never used the pills again.

Two weeks ago I had to take my car for annual smog test required by Nevada before you can renew a tag. My car failed the tests, which it has never failed before. The report indicated fuel system problems. Immediately took the car to a state licensed repair shop.

Two days and $1427 later I was given a receipt stating that contaminated fuel may have caused the damage. Reminder: Since I bought the car, I've never added anything to the gas tank except the FFI pills and never had any fuel system problems. Bottom line: I am now preparing a lawsuit against FFI.

FFI's response to me has been the same hype posted on their website and mimicked by their sales drones. However, NOWHERE on their website do they state that they've never had any reported problems. Thus, I am posting this everywhere so that other people who have experienced similar problem(s) can contact me.

I would especially like to hear from Patrick in Saint Charles, Missouri, since I believe my damage may prove his theories to be correct.

CLICK here to see why Rip-off Report, as a matter of policy, deleted either a phone number, link or e-mail address from this Report.

Glenn
Henderson, Nevada
U.S.A.

http://ripoffreport.com/reports/0/209/RipOff0209448.htm

Gas Additives: Truth or Fiction?
by John J. Fanning

As gasoline prices increase beyond the $3 per gallon mark, consumers are starting to look for any method available that can help them save money at the pump. For some Americans, the rise in gas prices has forced them to make hard decisions on what to give up in their lives in order to fuel their car each week.

With concerns increasing as gas prices rise, more than a few charlatans and con-artists have come forward offering products that they promise will save consumers money by increasing fuel mileage from 15 to as much as 50 percent. Desperate Americans have been willing to shell out good money for these products in the hope of saving a few bucks, only to find themselves victims of a scam that intentionally targets the most vulnerable in a greedy effort to exploit those hurt the most by rising gas prices.

To begin any story about gasoline additives and their value to consumers, it is probably best to remind everyone that the gasoline business is competitive. There are multiple gasoline companies out there and each one wants you to buy their brand of gasoline. With this in mind, it is important to remind consumers that one of the best ways a gasoline company can attract more customers is by formulating their brand of gasoline to increase gasoline mileage. In fact, many gasoline producers do just that. It is a fact that you may increase your gasoline mileage by selecting a particular brand or increasing the grade of gasoline you use in your car. But the degree of savings you realize will depend upon a number of things, such as whether you are driving in the city or on the highway, the type of car you are driving and the manner in which you drive.

The first rule of gasoline additives for all consumers to understand is that gasoline additives have pretty much always been offered - right at the gas pump. And if someone is interested in finding ways to increase their gas mileage through additives, increasing the grade of gasoline you use is a pretty good first-step.

When it comes to third-party gasoline additives, independent testing does confirm that drivers can increase gas mileage. But the big question that has surrounded gas additives from the very first is, "at what cost"?

Let's suppose that you purchase a gas additive that increases your gas mileage by 30%. And let's suppose that before your use of the additive, you were getting 17 miles to the gallon. That means that after the additive, you are getting a little over 22 miles to the gallon or 5 miles more per gallon. Now suppose you are paying $2.90 per gallon for gas and your car has a 20 gallon gas tank. What all this means is that you can increase your gas mileage by a little more than 100 miles per fill-up for a savings of around $17.00 per tank of gasoline.

That $17.00 represents a pretty significant savings for folks who may be filling up their tanks every week. And that $17.00 in potential savings is what is spurring the growth of gasoline additives that are of dubious efficacy.

Take for example, MPG-Caps, a new product that is being marketed by Fuel Freedom International, a marketing company located in Virginia, or Florida, or Arizona, or, well, frankly we could never really pin down where they were from. We did a lot of searching to learn about the company and the product and we only learned that they seem to be connected with at least a half-dozen other companies or company names out there. Fuel Freedom is actually marketing distributors for the MPG-Caps that, according to an advertisement of theirs sent by spammed fax, will save you 20 to 30 percent at the pump and "knock out 90% of the pollution on the planet".

Wow! Apparently we can end global warming and still keep our Hummers!

MPG-Caps are designed to retail for around $20 for a package of 10 capsules. According to instructions, you initially add 2 capsules to your gas tank and then 1 capsule each time you fill your tank.

ABC television got interested in this product and apparently tried to find out more. AAA, the automotive association actually put the product to test and found that when following the manufacturers instructions, there was no measurable increase in gasoline mileage in their test vehicle. When they contacted the company, they were advised to "increase the dosage", so AAA doubled the recommended dosage to 4 capsules and still recorded no change in mileage in city driving and just a 4% increase in mileage with highway driving.

Remember the math we did a little earlier? In order for the driver of the car we used in that example to break even following the purchase of MPG-Caps - assuming they followed the recommended dosage for those caps - he or she would have to increase their mileage by around 4% to break even.

The MPG-Caps advertising make a point of stating they are "EPA Tested and Registered". For a lot of people they might think that this means the EPA endorses this product. They might think that the product was tested to prove it worked in saving consumers at the gas pump. In fact, all gasoline additives must be tested and registered with the EPA, but only to ascertain that they will not add to pollution coming from vehicles or damage pollution control devices. EPA does not "certify" or "endorse" any products from any manufacturers.

It is a terrible shame that when things get really tough for some Americans, there are always a few slime balls ready to step up and make things even worse for them. I hope that after reading this, at least a few of our readers will look a little closer at the companies promising remarkable savings at the gas pump and do a little math before shelling over hard earned money to something that is nothing more than a money making scheme.

http://www.chiefengineer.org/content/content_display.cfm/seqnumber_content/2517.htm

AAA: No Magic Pill For Gas Price Blues

April 17, 2006

Anytime gas prices taken a sudden spike, as they've done this spring, marketers are quick to roll out gadgets, additives and magic potions that supposedly give your car increased efficiency when it comes to burning that ever-valuable fossil fuel. The latest product, a "gas pill," promises big savings but consumer groups suggest a healthy dose of skepticism.

The pill is called MPG-Cap, marketed by Fuel Freedom International. The company says by dropping a couple of the pills, which cost $2 each, into your gas tank, you can increase your gas mile by up to 20 percent. How can that be?

"MPG-Cap is an engine conditioner that simultaneously improves fuel economy and power by creating a micro-thin coating on the combustion chamber in your engine allowing your fuel to burn more efficiently," the company says on its Website.

Not so fast, says AAA. The automotive consumer group took the MGP-Cap for a test drive and said it found no improvement in mileage while driving at 34 miles per hour. There was a slight gain -- four percent -- at 65 miles per hour. Even increasing the amount of the product per gas tank didn't help.

"I didn't see anything approaching any of the claims for 10 [percent], 20 [percent] or 30 percent improvement in mileage," AAA's Tom McLaughlin told ABC's Good Morning America.

The Environmental Protection Agency says it hasn't gotten around to testing MPG-Cap, but says it's seen similar products before. The EPA has tasted about 100 other fuel saving gadgets over the years, but says it has yet to find one that lives up to its claims.

Fuel Freedom International, meanwhile, says its product is "fully EPA registered (emphasis added). It says its "fuel economy technology has been proven in more than 20,000,000 miles of double blind statistically designed tests." It does not disclose on its Web site who conducted the tests or under what conditions.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/04/aaa_gas_prices.html

Can a Pill Reduce Your Gas Costs?

Company Says Gas Pill Leads to 10 Percent to 20 Percent Savings
April 17, 2006 

With the average price of a gallon of regular gas soaring to $2.68, drivers are looking for any way to cut down on costs at the pump.

Fuel Freedom International says one pill of MPG-Cap in your tank with every fill up will increase mileage by 10 percent or 20 percent.

(ABC News)Consumer groups, however, warn promotions promising quick fixes are usually too good to be true.

One of the latest ads sweeping the Internet is a "gas pill" marketed by Fuel Freedom International. Fuel Freedom International says dropping a $2 MPG-Cap in your tank with every fill up will increase mileage by 10 percent or 20 percent. When ABC affiliate WPVI asked a AAA expert to test-drive the pill, results were not as significant.

AAA saw no improvement while driving at 34 mph and just a 4 percent increase in mileage at 65 mph.

The company recommended a bigger dose, but when AAA used four pills in the tank, it didn't make a difference.

"I didn't see anything approaching any of the claims for 10 [percent], 20 [percent] or 30 percent improvement in mileage," said Tom McLaughlin of AAA.

The company suggested McLaughlin might have to burn several tanks of gas before the pill kicked in. Fuel Freedom International did not return "Good Morning America's" calls for comment.

The Environmental Protection Agency has not tested MPG-Caps, but it has tested more than 100 other gadgets and additives that say they will save gas and has found they do not work.

"Those kind of claims, we have yet to find any kind of device or additive that can produce that type of result," said Joni Lupovitz of the Federal Trade Commission.

In 2005, ABC investigated a $90 million magnet that attached to your fuel line and was supposed to increase mileage by 27 percent. Lupovitz said when the product was tested, it was found to be bogus. The FTC sued the company, which agreed to pull its ads.

"We really want marketers to know we're watching them. We're monitoring the airwaves and the Internet and the print ads, and that we will take action if we see something that's egregious," Lupovitz said.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/PainAtThePump/story?id=1850045&page=1

FFI mpg caps magic fuel pill
Tested September 2006   

A work colleague of mine is a believer in the oil industry conspiracy theory, i.e. they keep anything from going to mass market that would dramatically save oil and give us, the consumers, better fuel economy in our vehicles. Since he was going to purchase a package of the magic FFI fuel pills, I volunteered to split the cost with him on the understanding that we could use his car as the guineau pig and that we could document the results for my site. I suspected I'd just wasted some lunch money but for the sake of adding more value to my site, I figured it was worth it.
My colleague's commuting car is a 1995 Volvo 850 Turbo, automatic with 257,000 miles on the clock. It has an on board average fuel consumption display in mpg that can be reset to zero to begin an averaging run. The engine was at operating temperature before each trial.
We first did a base line run between his house and our office - about 16 miles each way - with cruise control set to either 70mph or 75mph. The route has an HOV lane on the freeway so maintaining these speeds is easy for the sake of testing. The results are tabulated below.

mpg Distance in miles Cruise setting in mph
33.6 32 75
29.4 16 75
30.6 16 70
31.4 16 70
30.6 16 70
29.4 16 75
33.6 16 75
30.6 16 70
30.6 64 70
31.4 16 70
Running avg mpg = 31.12

Next we did the same sequence of drives, but with the FFI fuel pill in the tank.

mpg Distance in miles Cruise setting in mph
28.3 32 75
29.0 32 70
30.5 32 70
27.3 32 75
29.0 64 75
29.0 32 70
27.3 16 70
28.0 16 70
29.4 32 75
28.6 32 75
Running avg mpg = 28.64

If we group the results by speed, into 70mph and 75mph groupings, this is what it looks like.

•For the pre pill 70mph speed the average is 30.86mpg
•For the post pill 70mph speed the average is 28.76mpg
•For the pre pill 75mph speed the average is 31.5mpg
•For the post pill 75mph speed the average is 28.52mpg

Conclusion. On average, with the pill in the tank, we saw a drop in fuel economy by about 2mpg. There was no perceivable increase in acceleration or the ability to perform at-speed overtaking maneuvers. This pill is another scam. Don't bother with it.

The raging debate.
As well as a response from FFI (see below), my review has garnered comments from other people who've tried this product out. Out of the many emails I've had, this is one of the most interesting:
I just want to comment on the MPG Caps from Fuel Freedom International. I tested the caps for 5 months in 4 vehicles, 2 Camrys a 2002 & 2004, a Toyota Tundra 2005 truck & a 1973 VW Beetle. I saw a decrease in mpg in all vehicles and gave up after testing over 20,000 miles total. Some people claim that it works, but you cannot prove it by me. In addition, I gave out pills to others who found either no improvement or also lost mpg. I was a distributor for them but obviously I am no longer...I do not want to promote something that only works for a few.

Followup - calling their bluff?
A couple of weeks after posting my review, I was contacted by an FFI representative who didn't think I'd been fair by trying their product out in an older car. He suggested I re-performed the test at their expense in a newer vehicle. I offered up my (at the time) 2000 mile Honda Element and gave them an address to send the product to for testing. Thanks to a natty little 'count up' javascript, I can tell you that it's now been 1060 days since then and I've yet to see anything. The original order for the product for the original test took only three days to get here. Have I called their bluff?

http://www.carbibles.com/productreviews_ffi.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Snake Oil Sellers Behaving Badly
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:06:25 PM »
Holy shit....I would be doing more the sueing the fuel cap idiots...wow.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: Snake Oil Sellers Behaving Badly
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:46:35 AM »

Good Grief! This is so old it's grown cobwebs. Infact, the cobwebs have grown cobwebs of their own.  ::)

If this product was so bad, why are there no lawsuits from customers?
If this product ruined engines, why are there no claims against the $2 million liability insurance policy?

If this product was mere snake oil, why did the Central Government of China designate us as
"The top new E-Commerce brand in all of China"? It was a very prestigious honour.
And you know the Chinese, ...they execute people for defrauding the public, ...they don't honour them with awards.

Ya there were challenges in the beginning. We discovered it had to do with dosing issues.
It's not a magic pill, ...you have to fiddle with it and tweak the dosage for your particular vehicle.
Every vehicle has it's sweet spot. There's so much crap in that post, I'll give you a general response.

For the guy who claims the product screwed up his vehicle... BS. It turned out to be engine sludge.
Something his car manufacturer is known for, and is well aware of. Infact, there was a major class action suit against the car maker for this very problem. I can understand him thinking it was our product, ...but in the end, it turned out to be a fault with the vehicle itself.

For the guy who claimed the company was located in Virginia, Florida or Arizona... he couldn't quite find out where... he obviously wasn't looking very hard. The company's head office is in Florida and the information is not hard to find.

The company started selling product in Nov 2005, and the only complaints that are floating around were from customers who might have tried it in the first few months, ...or those who have never tried it, but want to criticize it nonetheless.  ::)  Complaints which first surfaced right about the same time that a rival company was losing their distributors to us in droves. Right about the same time that the AG's in Florida & Texas launched an investigation into that company. As a result of some finger pointing by those under scrutiny, the AGs in TX & FL launched investigations into us as well. This was so long ago... Charlie Crist was still the governor of Florida at the time. {lol}

Bottom line, they got shut down, fined, their assets were seized, both corporate and personal, they were ordered to pay restitution, and restricted from doing business. We on the other hand are still in business, and went on to do hundreds of millions of dollars in sales into over 225 countries & territories around the world, and paying out well over $77 million USD in commissions our first 2 years.

As for the AAA testing.... what do you expect? We told them it would take between 2 - 4 tanks before they would see any increase. What did they do, ...they popped in an insufficient dosage and drove the car for less than 50 miles. They didn't even do the test properly, ...but still managed to see a 4% increase after 30 miles. Definite proof the product worked... no matter how anyone wants to spin it.

Then there were the people who overdosed.... underdosed, forgot to dose etc., etc., etc., Most people who buy the product and run off and use it are pretty much playing hit or miss. After a year of hits & misses, we got the protocol down cold. It takes back & forth communication between product user and knowledgeable distributor to get desired results. I don't know about other distributors, ...but in my group, ...we've acquired enough data about how the product works in the different fuels around the world with the different octane levels & sulfur levels that we know exactly how to dose it, ...and how to know what's going on based solely on the feedback we were getting from the experts... real world truckers on the road. We lay out a protocol for them on paper, ...and those who follow it see results 100% of the time.

It wasn't easy to come by... it took us a good year to figure it out. They were so many variables being thrown into the mix at the same time... like the introduction (without fanfare) of Ultra low sulfur diesel at all the fuel stations. We couldn't figure out why all of a sudden guys who were getting increases all of a sudden saw the increases go away, ...or in some cases started losing mileage. We realized the culprit was the removal of cetane when they took out the sulfur. It was a good thing it happened first in the US. I was able to prepare my Canadian customers for it when the ULSD was mandated across Canada as well. I didn't have guys freaking out because all of a sudden their mileage went down. I let them know it was going to happen, ...and sure enough it did. Thankfully, by the time the mandates came north of the 49th, we had a lubricant that got the cetane numbers back up, ...cause the fuel coming out of the pumps didn't even meet the engine manufacturer's specs for cetane. Then too, after using the product for a while, you gradually require less & less of it. Guys continuing on the same dosage ended up inadvertently overdosing and losing the catalytic effect. Then there were the guys whose engines were all carboned up. It took forever to get rid of all the carbon before the catalyst could go into place etc., etc., I could go on & on. But thanks to some very desperate & very determined truckers we got the protocol down cold. I don't refer to my companies mktg materials when I instruct people. I tell them to throw the package instructions out the window. Those willing to do that, see results. Those not willing to do that, often either give up on the product, ...or, ...if they're desperate enough will give it another go, after throwing the instructions out the window and following the protocol we give them. Thank Goodness the price of oil was so high, desperation usually won out, and drivers were willing to give it another try using our protocols. It was either that or take the trucks off the road. There are guys driving the roads of North America today who would not still be in business, if it wasn't for our product. It saved them that much in fuel costs. The company adjusted the dosing instructions in Dec 2006, ...and after much grumbling, complaining and eventual screaming from us, ...adjusted them a bit lower again in Agust 2008. It was until Feb 2009 that we started seeing recommendations for dosage in North America coming in line with how we have our truckers using it. The dosages are slightly different for Australia, and different still for South America due to the differences in fuel grades and sulfur content.

That's why I primarily built my FFi business with Truckers & Trucking companies. Average people were just too much of a pain in the tush to deal with and would never properly folllow instructions. In addition, their driving habits varied so sporadically it was difficult to conduct a proper test... whereas truckers & trucking companies track their mileage right down to the 1/100th of a mile. And are meticulous about keeping mileage and fuel consumption records. A trucker can easily do 500 miles in a day, so it was very easy to get solid data very quickly. the average 4 wheeler who does 2 miles to the grocery store one day, 1/2 mile to the dry cleaners the next day, etc, The guy who drives 4 miles to work & back, and never even gets the engine up to operating temperature, ...one who throws in $10 or $20 into the tank at a time, and whose tank has never seen full, who never tracks mileage is not the ideal customer. It could take them an entire month or two to travel 500 miles, so if they're overdosing they won't know. Whereas a trucker who is already used to tracking mileage & fuel consumption isn't inconvenienced by doing something out of the ordinary. They can tweak and adjust their dosage daily based on the data they get. If they notice the mileage has slipped on a particular day, they know they're probably putting too much product in, ...and they can adjust it the next day, ...and watch the mileage increase come back. If they're overdosing or underdosing, they'll know in one day.

At this point, some of these guys can pretty much eyeball it and get an exact dosage. One night, I met up with one of my truckers at an elementary school near my house. I gave him the product and he proceeded to put it into his tank. He flipped the lid on the vial, and poured some out into his hand. I couldn't believe it. I thought he was crazy.  :o He bet me a free 5 gram vial that he was accurate. I took him on. He told me to hand him the digital scale in his cab. He placed the scale on the step up into the truck, ...poured the contents of his hand onto the scale... sure enough, it was 1.989 grams. In that particular truck, he was using a dosage of 1 gram for every 60 gallons of fuel. And he had twin 120 gallon saddlebags he'd just filled. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I never would have believed it. It ended up costing me $20 worth of product, ...but it was worth it to have my socks knocked off like that.  :D

You can call it snake oil all you want, but that same trucker gets a savings of at least $1200 week in fuel costs on a dedicated run, as a result of using this product. He got a 30% increase in mileage on his caterpillar motor... twice the rate we claimed he would. When he changed trucks to one equipped with a Cummins engine, I fully expected he would not see such a large increase. A friend of mine in Vermont whose trucking fleet is equipped strictly with Cummins had assured me they take a little longer to come on relative to other motors. The Caterpillars, Volvos, Mercedes & Detroits react very quickly. So I told my customer not to expect much on his first few runs, but we might be able to eventually get it up to a 10% increase after a while, and save him $470 a week. He saved $600 on his initial run in that truck using the product. The following week he saved $1200 and he held steady at $1200 a week in fuel savings. His Cummins responded even faster than his Caterpillar did, ...probably because he had already developed a good years worth of experience with the product, and didn't have the same learning curve he did when he first started using it.

He recently rolled his truck outside Winnipeg, ...and now he's in a new truck, ...and looking forward to using the catalyst in it as well. We'll see how it works in the new truck now that Ontario has implemented the speed limiters. Alot of my guys in the states are telling me they see better results the faster they go (which is extremely odd), ...usually slowing down reduces fuel consumption, ...but for some odd reason my guys are reporting they get better results when they push it. We'll see how it works with the speed limiters. Ontario truckers might find they need the product more than ever... aside from the mileage increase and the reduced emissions, ...but for the extra power they get, ...not sure if they'll get the increase if they're now forced to go slower, ...but we'll see. They will definitely need the power, 'cause with the speed limiters in place, they are having a heckuva time climbing some of those hills. He'll be pulling into TO on Tuesday, and heading out again on Wednesday night, ...so I'll let you know in a week or two what his results are.
w