Author Topic: Government Medicine Should Horrify Americans  (Read 1445 times)

Decker

• Getbig V
Re: Government Medicine Should Horrify Americans
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
The point you made is actually a good point... cancer fatality rates are noticeably dropping in both countries.

But what I meant was that the author is using a statistic for Britons which measures the survival rate of cancer patients 20 years after the fact. The American statistic measured cancer survival rates of patients after only five years. Of course the five years statistic would look more impressive.
I see.  Thanks.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 01:03:51 PM »
You're better than this.

The Evil Leviathon Walmart is backing this mess.  

So if the evil Walmart supports it, it must be bad right Decker?????

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »

I think we can all agree america by far leads the world in eating unhealthy/smoking/drinking etc.  It's amazing to think that we are even on par let alone beat other countries who lead much healthier lives.

Just my 2 cents.

muscleforlife

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »
The numbers don't lie.  Can anyone put up a good argument for gov healthcare?
[/quote

Medicaid and medicare, Vetrans Administration, Congressional/Senatorial coverage, emergency room coverage even if you can't pay.
We already have gov healthcare
Sandra

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »

hahahaha.

Yeah.  I mean no.

I mean life is like, you know, complex.

UHC helps the poor.

WalMart has a massive workforce comprised of the working poor.

I think I see a connection.  Do you?

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2009, 03:14:40 PM »
hahahaha.

Yeah.  I mean no.

UHC helps the poor.

UHC doesn't help the poor.
Medicad does.

This helps the Lower Middle Class that work at small businesses, that want coverage and aren't.
It also forces insurance on people that choose not to get covered to be covered.

If this passes many small business will redefine their benefits.

Z

the_steevo_uk

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 12:05:02 AM »
Sorry guys I dont buy those figures at all...not for one second. My family is very good friends with one of the top cancer surgeons in Britain, so ill check that out with him. Needless to say he hasn't bitched and moaned about death rates one bit, which believe you me he would have if the disparity was that large.

My own ten cents, The British system is the best in the world and far far better than the US system (which i have also experienced), you have genuine choice. You have public and private healthcare, which means if you pay more you get more. Yet if you cant pay you're still assured healthcare (even if the waiting time can sometimes be long...but times are coming down). I use both systems in Britain, depending on what I need, and how urgently it needs to get done, Im sorry but the idea of having to pay for private healthcare in the USA just to go to some crappy general hospital makes me kind of angry, you're not getting value for money, and on top of that is the underlying assumption that healthcare is not a given right, which it most certainly is. The fact that in the USA I have to call my frikkin insurance company before I go to the doctor or the hospital, to check if they will cover something, for me is verging on barbaric, in britain if you're hurt you just go to the damn hospital, no second worries, if's or buts. Like i said before, depending on the prognosis or if i feel i want the problem sorted out immediately then I'll go to a private hospital, where it will be sorted out immediately, and I get the choice of what kind of service I want.

No american will ever convince me, not in a million years that their system is better, from my experience it is inconvenient and overly expensive for a very general and average quality of service that you receive for free in Britain. Like i said before I feel fundamentally uncomfortable with the american attitude which seems to say you have to pay for health care to receive it, I dont believe thats where we should be going.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 12:49:45 AM »
hahahaha.

Yeah.  I mean no.

UHC helps the poor.

Great catch. You are an excellent addition to the team. ;)

Walmart has actually encouraged employees to take advantage of government benefits for years. The premium Walmart employees must pay on company provided health insurance is so high that only about 40% of the employees take advantage of it. Under most provisions of the plan, employees of large corporations like Walmart wouldn't be eligible for the plan. However, that probably wouldn't apply to a lot Walmart employees, since the company often limits workweeks to 38 hours or less.