Author Topic: The MuscleMag rip off!  (Read 4639 times)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: The MuscleMag rip off!
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 07:48:20 PM »
Which answers the initial question, doesn't it?
[/quote

What can we say?  Some people just don't understand business/economics.  It's quite simple, really.

Got that right

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2009, 02:34:48 AM »
You're quite the unintelligent person aren't you.  If MM or any mag didn't have ads to help pay for the cost, they'd have to charge you $40 per magazine to make a profit.  It's the ads that help keep the total cost down.

Hi Robert Kennedy.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2009, 02:44:25 AM »

Its not the point i am making. Its too simplistic a model to say more costs = more advertising space.

For eg, If the production costs have relativity gone up 30% over 10 years but the amount of advertising has gone up 60% there is an issue for the reader.

Maybe the mags are just maximising their profit margins at the expense of the reader by putting in more adverts.

Again,for eg, say in 1990 60% of production costs were paid by advertising, maybe the case now is that 90% is paid that way.(obviously dont know the exact figures here)

To turn around and say'' Some people just don't understand business/economics.  It's quite simple, really.'' Shows you have not grasped the complexities of my argument about MuscleMag so full of adverts its crazy.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2009, 05:05:36 AM »
Its not the point i am making. Its too simplistic a model to say more costs = more advertising space.

For eg, If the production costs have relativity gone up 30% over 10 years but the amount of advertising has gone up 60% there is an issue for the reader.

Maybe the mags are just maximising their profit margins at the expense of the reader by putting in more adverts.

Again,for eg, say in 1990 60% of production costs were paid by advertising, maybe the case now is that 90% is paid that way.(obviously dont know the exact figures here)

To turn around and say'' Some people just don't understand business/economics.  It's quite simple, really.'' Shows you have not grasped the complexities of my argument about MuscleMag so full of adverts its crazy.

Your arguent consists of guessing numbers and making assumptions?

Uless you work directly for one of the mags, where are you coming up with these numbers?

SGT BARNES

• Getbig IV
  • crush your enemies, see them driven before you
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2009, 07:50:49 AM »
Just picked up a copy of the British verson of Musclemag and found that out of 234 pages, 109 of these were given over to Advertisments.

While i understand companies will want to advertise in Mags this is just taking the piss.

The thing is, even if i dont buy these supplements i am paying for the extra pages and printing costs in Musclemag.

Never gonna buy this shit again.

Robert Kennedy explain yourself now!

so you could of figured this out by looking thru it where you bought it...but you took it home anyway.

genius.

who the fuck still buys a bb mag? who the fuck doesnt know they are 100% ads and BS? i guess you. sucker

turnerg31

• Getbig III
  • Take that Bitches!
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 08:08:52 AM »
Regardless of the amount of advertising in Musclemag I would take one of their mags over two of the other major magazines put together.  You may have to wade through much more advertisements but your getting much more magazine in the first place. It all works out. You can always switch over to Men's Health.  ;D

Pat

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 08:31:24 AM »
Get your hands on a Weider magazine from the 60's, the whole mag including articles was an advert.

70's and 80's not as blatant in the articles but still there, and in the 90's magazines became 50%+ actual advertising, plus endless promoting in articles.

Musclemag was actually the best along with Ironman to give unbiased info, and then obviously Muscletech "bought" a chunk of the mag, even Zulak's column was a big Muscletech plug.