Author Topic: The MuscleMag rip off!  (Read 4638 times)

Sam

• Getbig IV
  • I just shoot the bastards.....Thats my policy!
The MuscleMag rip off!
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:09:13 AM »
Just picked up a copy of the British verson of Musclemag and found that out of 234 pages, 109 of these were given over to Advertisments.

While i understand companies will want to advertise in Mags this is just taking the piss.

The thing is, even if i dont buy these supplements i am paying for the extra pages and printing costs in Musclemag.

Never gonna buy this shit again.

Robert Kennedy explain yourself now!

lvtolft

• Getbig III
Re: The MuscleMag rip off!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:31:35 AM »
That is how they all are now.

BTW, did you really count the pages?

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »
Just picked up a copy of the British verson of Musclemag and found that out of 234 pages, 109 of these were given over to Advertisments.

While i understand companies will want to advertise in Mags this is just taking the piss.

The thing is, even if i dont buy these supplements i am paying for the extra pages and printing costs in Musclemag.

Never gonna buy this shit again.

Robert Kennedy explain yourself now!

You're quite the unintelligent person aren't you.  If MM or any mag didn't have ads to help pay for the cost, they'd have to charge you $40 per magazine to make a profit.  It's the ads that help keep the total cost down.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 11:47:35 AM »
It's ridiculous.  The worst ones are the 8 page Muscletech ads, which pretend to be training articles, then hit you at the end with '...and with Nitrotech Hardcore, you could gain 367% more mass in one week...".

>:(

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 11:48:38 AM »
You're quite the unintelligent person aren't you.  If MM or any mag didn't have ads to help pay for the cost, they'd have to charge you $40 per magazine to make a profit.  It's the ads that help keep the total cost down.

Then explain to me, bill gates why i was not paying $40 per mag ( or the equivalent) in the early ninties when it was not full of ads like today?

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 11:50:15 AM »

these are the same clowns who want free s##t, run up server resources, and then, b###h when the company has to put up a couple of ads to break even.  click on the ad or look at the ad.  give the companies a break.
Oh...Monica!

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:51:43 AM »
That is how they all are now.

BTW, did you really count the pages?

Yes i did count the pages lol. I was so pissed off with the ads i counted them while taking a shit.

BTW, If the pages were not laminated, i would have wiped my arse with them.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 12:02:59 PM »
Then explain to me, bill gates why i was not paying $40 per mag ( or the equivalent) in the early ninties when it was not full of ads like today?
They had lots of ads, but charged more from the ones who posted.  You do know that MuscleMag and MuscleTech are the same company don't you.

lvtolft

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 12:10:48 PM »
Yes i did count the pages lol. I was so pissed off with the ads i counted them while taking a shit.

BTW, If the pages were not laminated, i would have wiped my arse with them.
lol  ;D

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
They had lots of ads, but charged more from the ones who posted.  You do know that MuscleMag and MuscleTech are the same company don't you.

While i understand the economic need to have adverts to raise money, the fact nearly 50% of the mag is adverts is a little excesive. Do you not agree?

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 12:18:08 PM »
why would you buy muscle mags in the first place anyway...

like you re going to "learn" something that would "improve" the way you train or eat...

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 12:22:54 PM »
why would you buy muscle mags in the first place anyway...

like you re going to "learn" something that would "improve" the way you train or eat...

I know, i know... I am just a sucker for good sales pitch  :D

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 12:25:50 PM »
I haven`t bought a magazine in years....just look on the web.........same info for free!!

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »
I haven`t bought a magazine in years....just look on the web.........same info for free!!
ten times more valuable infos on the net, in fact ..

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »

No, they are not the same company...Musclemag has beenrun by Robert Kennedy, and Muscletech is owned by Iovate (parent company)... the only thing they have in common is they bth are based in Canada...

As for the many ads in all the magazines....thats how they survive...no different than any other magazine sports related or not...why are ads so annoying to people?  Simply not reading them, or turning the page will pretty much take care of the problem.

As for "paying for them"...it's actually just the opposite....if there were less ads, then the cost would most likely go up for the consumer.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:36:43 PM »
No, they are not the same company...Musclemag has beenrun by Robert Kennedy, and Muscletech is owned by Iovate (parent company)... the only thing they have in common is they bth are based in Canada...

As for the many ads in all the magazines....thats how they survive...no different than any other magazine sports related or not...why are ads so annoying to people?  Simply not reading them, or turning the page will pretty much take care of the problem.

As for "paying for them"...it's actually just the opposite....if there were less ads, then the cost would most likely go up for the consumer.

Well Muscltech must have some sort of stock in Musclemag.  The thing is nothing more than a promo of MT products.  Sure there are the normal ads but then every nutrition article is nothing more than a Muscetech ad in sheep's clothing.  Musclemag is nothing more than a shill for muscletech.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 01:42:27 PM »
all the Weider mags had been like this for ages too. Hell even a lot of non-bodybuilding mags of like this too. But bbing ones seem to be the worst in the number of ads.
A

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »

Again i have to reiterate the fact that when i started BB in the early nineties there were not as many ads as there are today, yet the price of the magazine was no more expensive relatively speaking than today. What did they know about funding mags then, that they dont today.

While I do apperciate a mag has to have some funding from ads, my issue is that when 45% is ads there is a problem.

As for why are ads so annoying to people chick, usually they are not, However when you have them every other page including ones that cut through articles etc it does wear a bit thin. 

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Again i have to reiterate the fact that when i started BB in the early nineties there were not as many ads as there are today, yet the price of the magazine was no more expensive relatively speaking than today. What did they know about funding mags then, that they dont today.

While I do apperciate a mag has to have some funding from ads, my issue is that when 45% is ads there is a problem.

As for why are ads so annoying to people chick, usually they are not, However when you have them every other page including ones that cut through articles etc it does wear a bit thin. 

Thats because there weren't as many supp companies...and they weren't nearly as big as they are today.

You're right about the price....as I stated earlier, it's a reflection as to the ad content that prices are relative, and not higher....as most things in life are not.

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2009, 03:15:23 PM »

Thats because there weren't as many supp companies...and they weren't nearly as big as they are today.

You're right about the price....as I stated earlier, it's a reflection as to the ad content that prices are relative, and not higher....as most things in life are not.

I understand what your sayin chick, its just a bit annoying thats all to have all these ads everywhere. Some are even disguised as articles then turn into bloody ads at the end. lol.

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 03:18:15 PM »

In today's economic environment, that could equate to going out of business.  Additional ad space is simply "margining up" without passing additional product costs to the consumer.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 03:21:12 PM »
In today's economic environment, that could equate to going out of business.  Additional ad space is simply "margining up" without passing additional product costs to the consumer.

Which answers the initial question, doesn't it?

Sam

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2009, 03:31:54 PM »

Its a very simplistic answer to say that the production costs have gone up so they must have more ads to survive. Without looking at figures and profit margins etc it is impossible to say that the production costs have gone up in relativity with the increase in the number of ads.

While i will conceed production costs have gone up, maybe the number of ads far outweighs these costs.As you yourself said chick, there are far more companies out there who want to advertise.

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:20 PM »
all the Weider mags had been like this for ages too. Hell even a lot of non-bodybuilding mags of like this too. But bbing ones seem to be the worst in the number of ads.

hell no

not when it was good old 'Muscle Builder & Power'

now THAT was the best bb mag...ever.

Old guys chime in on this

Relentless

• Getbig IV
  • Kevin Levrone is the genetic ideal.
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 07:41:44 PM »
[/quote

What can we say?  Some people just don't understand business/economics.  It's quite simple, really.