Author Topic: My Stats  (Read 4390 times)

Big-C

• Getbig II
My Stats
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:02:36 AM »
   Hey Fellas Im 5"11 250lbs 22% bf
         Bench /365
         d lift  /5 plates
         squat / 4 plates
  Anyways how do meets work? What weight classes are there I guess im asking if id be wasting time with what i lift to go to a meet?

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: My Stats
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:21:02 PM »
You need to come down to the 242# or 225# class.  If you are young than it is ok.  365 bench, 495 deadlift, and 405 squat.  I am in the 165 class and can dead and squat more than that and bench 350, but I have been training for 29 years.  Never waste of time to do something you like.  Just make your opening lifts what you can lift.  I see alot of people bombing out on their first lifts.

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 07:41:20 PM »
kinda in the same boat. Ive never competed but am entering my first comp in a few weeks. i dont expect to go and amaze anyone. but i have a set number that im shooting for and when i get it, itll be a win for me.

im also very nervous about it, but screw it what are they going to do if i suck. take away my birthday?

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:36:29 PM »
yeah i could get down to the 242 pretty easy... My biggest concern is my squat... My friends all say i should be getting more..

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »
Quick answer: get in a meet FAST! You have NOTHING to lose. Its a lot of fun, you will meet many like minded people, and you will surely come out of it with a new vigor about lifting.

This is similar to the advice I was given some time ago and I definitely never regretted it.

Good luck!

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 07:01:46 AM »
Quick answer: get in a meet FAST! You have NOTHING to lose. Its a lot of fun, you will meet many like minded people, and you will surely come out of it with a new vigor about lifting.

This is similar to the advice I was given some time ago and I definitely never regretted it.

Good luck!

any advice you'd give to a newb? is it kosher to talk to the other competitors about the regulations ot techniques? are they generally cool? stuff to take other than the minimum? thanks

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:30:13 AM »
any advice you'd give to a newb? is it kosher to talk to the other competitors about the regulations ot techniques? are they generally cool? stuff to take other than the minimum? thanks

I havent participated in a PL meet myself, just strongman. I go to some meets with friends and it never seems to be a problem to ask whatever you want. Just dont do it when someone is trying to get psyched up for their next lift, haha. By all means meet as many people as possible and maybe you will find a crew to lift with.

Always bring everything you have that is lifting oriented. Belts, wraps, straps, whatever.... You dont know what you may need and why. Better to be prepared. Of course there are only so many things you can use while on the platform, but someone else may need something you have double of, or maybe you will use that something for your warmups? Bring food too as these things can go long sometimes.

Bring everything you MAY need. Talk to EVERYONE that you can. Keep your openers relatively easy. Dont overdo your warmups. Have fun!

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:21:14 PM »
If your going by yourself. Make sure you ask one of the spotters to give you  lift off in the bench! Might be hard to believe, but it can make a big diffrence.!!
Masters- 50-54
148#

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 04:00:19 PM »
My next question is how do you find meets? I live in the tampa area

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 04:27:29 PM »
My next question is how do you find meets? I live in the tampa area

You'll need to get a list of associations/federations, then check their sites and find a date and venue that suit you. I'm in Ireland, so I don't know too much about the PLing scene in the USA, but I'm sure some of the other dudes here will recommend some feds to you.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 06:41:43 PM »
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4421

you can find both associations/federations & States

Found 3 APF meets in the Tampa area
Masters- 50-54
148#

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:55:51 PM »

what are some of the beginner type meets..

what association ?

I can't find shit in so-cal !

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »
we should get a beginning PL thread...im curious as well

any feds let you use straps LOL i know i know Im a puss

how are my stats for a beginner?

5'6"ish bout 190 right now iono body fat id say a tad bit below 20 right now

dead: probably around 530 maybe 550ish with straps though
squat: id guess around 450ish
bench: hmm havent done flat bb in a while since i hurt my shoulder if i had to guess id say low 300's right now.

any natural drug tested feds out there, i live in houston, tx if that helps

thanks for the help guys

tony

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 09:50:02 PM »

aww sweet the college im attending right now has a powerlifting team i think i might try and get in a workout or two with them.

thanks john

anybody know approximately how much a single ply suit might add to a bench or dead they have numbers for some of these guys and im just curious.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 02:09:39 AM »
aww sweet the college im attending right now has a powerlifting team i think i might try and get in a workout or two with them.

thanks john

anybody know approximately how much a single ply suit might add to a bench or dead they have numbers for some of these guys and im just curious.

There's no real definite number for how much a suit or shirt adds. Generally a deadlift suit won't add a whole lot though. I know people who get 30kg out of a bench shirt, then I know a guy who has shirted lifting down to a tee and has worked out he gets about 80-90kg from a shirt! It's all about getting equipment that suits you and then spending time working in it. If you are going equipped I'd recommend finding a gym with some powerlifters who know their stuff on equipment, that way they can recommend a shirt or suit that will be of most benefit to you.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2009, 04:07:39 PM »
what are some of the beginner type meets..

what association ?

I can't find shit in so-cal !

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/california
-------------------------------------------
All about each Federation help you pick which one is best for you.  I'm lifting in the 100%  raw federation. Only a Singlet & belt thats it!

http://www.criticalbench.com/powerlifting-federations.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also to the person asking about straps. I know of no Fed that allows straps

Masters- 50-54
148#

splinterhands

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2009, 04:35:27 PM »
Good thread!  This answers a lot of questions for me as well.  Thanks for the links.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2009, 05:28:04 PM »
http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/california
-------------------------------------------
All about each Federation help you pick which one is best for you.  I'm lifting in the 100%  raw federation. Only a Singlet & belt thats it!

http://www.criticalbench.com/powerlifting-federations.htm
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also to the person asking about straps. I know of no Fed that allows straps

x2 re straps. Never head of any PLing fed allowing straps. Strongman feds only seems to allow it

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2009, 07:17:54 PM »
lol well im fuked then i dont think id get over 350 or so without straps  :-[

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2009, 08:03:16 PM »
Sure you will!  Just keep training hard & smart. You'll get there!
Masters- 50-54
148#

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:53 PM »

Start training without straps and you'll be surprised how quickly it picks up. Also, if you don't already, train with chalk and do some chins off a towel, should definitely help!

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2009, 10:36:24 PM »
get out there adn just have a blast..compete against yourself and do the best you can and strive to do better each time you're on the platform!

as of now your numbers are a little on the low side to be in the "fat boy" class...220's or 242's would be a solid choice but don't worry about that until you feel like you're up for dealing with dieting on top of everything else..

go to a local meet..get your feet wet..get an idea and a feel for it to figure out how to better prepare, etc next time and just go play!

Big-C

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
  Thanx for all the answers guys 8)

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2009, 12:04:06 PM »

You can also do rack pulls. Use a squat rack and set the pins so the bar is at the knees. then over time lower the pins till your pulling off the floor   ;)
Masters- 50-54
148#

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 06:09:51 PM »

You can also do rack pulls. Use a squat rack and set the pins so the bar is at the knees. then over time lower the pins till your pulling off the floor   ;)

Don't substitute with a full deadlift for too long though. I did this before and my pulling from the floor seriously suffered  :(