Author Topic: Does Obama think most Doctors are thieves?  (Read 1482 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Does Obama think most Doctors are thieves?
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:13:44 AM »
These two clips are very revealing.   

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: Does Obama think most Doctors are thieves?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:17:43 AM »
Lets see,
Big Oil
Big Business
Walmart

Guess big Medicine is the latest Bogey man
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 07:20:05 AM »
Lets see,
Big Oil
Big Business
Walmart

Guess big Medicine is the latest Bogey man

Serious - think of the mindset that Obama must have to make those two statements, even though they are factually wrong since the person recommending the surgery does not get paid for that.

Without him pushing for totrt reform, this whole mess just looks like another hit job on another profession.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »
I don't know if I'd go that far but those comments weren't appropriate.  However, he thinks the interests of trial lawyers are more important than the medical community in ignoring tort reform, the malpractice crisis and failure to agree to pre-screening hearings to rule out frivelous cases.  There is absolutely no good reason to not at least have a debate and address these issues in healthcare reform.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 11:48:17 AM »
I don't know if I'd go that far but those comments weren't appropriate.  However, he thinks the interests of trial lawyers are more important than the medical community in ignoring tort reform, the malpractice crisis and failure to agree to pre-screening hearings to rule out frivelous cases.  There is absolutely no good reason to not at least have a debate and address these issues in healthcare reform.

________________________ ________________________ ___

Obama Says Grandmother’s Hip Replacement Raises Cost Questions
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Hans Nichols

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama said his grandmother’s hip-replacement surgery during the final weeks of her life made him wonder whether expensive procedures for the terminally ill reflect a “sustainable model” for health care.

The president’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, had a hip replaced after she was diagnosed with cancer, Obama said in an interview with the New York Times magazine that was published today. Dunham, who lived in Honolulu, died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2, 2008, two days before her grandson’s election victory.

“I don’t know how much that hip replacement cost,” Obama said in the interview. “I would have paid out of pocket for that hip replacement just because she’s my grandmother.”

Obama said “you just get into some very difficult moral issues” when considering whether “to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill.

“That’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues,” he said in the April 14 interview. “The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health- care bill out here.”

Obama promised during his presidential campaign that a health-care overhaul would be a top priority, and he said at a Missouri town hall meeting today that he hopes Congress will pass health-care legislation this year.

The issue has been divisive, and finding an answer that will keep costs down while extending coverage to the estimated 46 million Americans without health insurance has eluded past presidents.

‘Ruthless Pragmatism’

Obama also said his economic advisers aren’t constrained by ideology or connections to former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin. “What I’ve been constantly searching for is a ruthless pragmatism when it comes to economic policy,” he said, in the interview.

Obama also pointed to Canada as an example of a country that has effectively regulated commercial and investment banking without requiring legal separation of those activities.

“When it comes to something like investment banking versus commercial banking, the experience in a country like Canada would indicate that good, strong regulation that focuses less on the legal form of the institution and more on the functions that they’re carrying out is probably the right approach to take,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Hans Nichols in Washington at hnichols2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: April 29, 2009 18:00 EDT

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »

Obama Says Grandmother’s Hip Replacement Raises Cost Questions
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Hans Nichols

April 29 (Bloomberg) -- President Barack Obama said his grandmother’s hip-replacement surgery during the final weeks of her life made him wonder whether expensive procedures for the terminally ill reflect a “sustainable model” for health care.

The president’s grandmother, Madelyn Dunham, had a hip replaced after she was diagnosed with cancer, Obama said in an interview with the New York Times magazine that was published today. Dunham, who lived in Honolulu, died at the age of 86 on Nov. 2, 2008, two days before her grandson’s election victory.

“I don’t know how much that hip replacement cost,” Obama said in the interview. “I would have paid out of pocket for that hip replacement just because she’s my grandmother.”

Obama said “you just get into some very difficult moral issues” when considering whether “to give my grandmother, or everybody else’s aging grandparents or parents, a hip replacement when they’re terminally ill.

“That’s where I think you just get into some very difficult moral issues,” he said in the April 14 interview. “The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80 percent of the total health- care bill out here.”

Obama promised during his presidential campaign that a health-care overhaul would be a top priority, and he said at a Missouri town hall meeting today that he hopes Congress will pass health-care legislation this year.

The issue has been divisive, and finding an answer that will keep costs down while extending coverage to the estimated 46 million Americans without health insurance has eluded past presidents.

‘Ruthless Pragmatism’

Obama also said his economic advisers aren’t constrained by ideology or connections to former Treasury Secretary Robert Rubin. “What I’ve been constantly searching for is a ruthless pragmatism when it comes to economic policy,” he said, in the interview.

Obama also pointed to Canada as an example of a country that has effectively regulated commercial and investment banking without requiring legal separation of those activities.

“When it comes to something like investment banking versus commercial banking, the experience in a country like Canada would indicate that good, strong regulation that focuses less on the legal form of the institution and more on the functions that they’re carrying out is probably the right approach to take,” he said.

To contact the reporter on this story: Hans Nichols in Washington at hnichols2@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: April 29, 2009 18:00 EDT

Difficult moral issues, huh?

"Bust-a-cap-in-Granny" clause.......coming to an ObamaCare affiliate near you.

paul84

• Getbig II
  • Nuke 'em, Rico!
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 04:22:51 PM »
Serious - think of the mindset that Obama must have to make those two statements, even though they are factually wrong since the person recommending the surgery does not get paid for that.

Without him pushing for totrt reform, this whole mess just looks like another hit job on another profession.   

The AMA's official response to the two surgery comments:

AMA clarifies facts on recent examples highlighting amputation and tonsillectomies.  The AMA contacted White House staff last night to again express strong concerns with some recent medical treatment examples used by President Obama. We've made it clear that physicians are extremely dedicated and focused—first, foremost and always—on providing care that best serves their patients.

We agree with President Obama on the importance of prevention. However, a recent example used to illustrate his important point was misleading. Surgeons are not paid $30,000 to $50,000 to amputate a diabetic's foot. Medicare pays a surgeon, on average, from $541.72 to $708.71 for one of two procedures involving a foot amputation. It is possible that the total bill, hospital stay, rehabilitation, prosthesis, etc. may approach the larger amount mentioned.

In the case of tonsillectomies, a patient is referred to a surgeon after medication therapy has proven to be ineffective. Actually, the medical profession itself recognized questions about utilization and appropriateness of tonsillectomies and took action by developing clinical guidelines, which has resulted in a sharp decline in the rate of tonsillectomies.

These types of examples create the impression that physicians are motivated by payment levels rather than what is best for patients. The AMA will continue to stress to our elected leaders that physicians are dedicated to putting patients first and optimizing health care quality.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They need to continue to stress the fact that only a tiny portion of the massive bill from a medical procedure is due to physician expenses.  Some people continue to think that their surgeon makes $30K for the lap. appendectomy, when in reality, the surgeon gets ~$380, anesth. is ~9 units so $180 for the anesthesiologist, you're talking 2% of the total bill there.  The doctors aren't the evil ones.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
LOLOL

Grannys hip replacement= Not necessary

Sex Change operations and third trimester abortions= Should be publicly funded.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »
Very good points paul.  People think doctor's control medicine still.  Our control has lessened greatly over the last 20 yrs.  Hospital administrators, nursing supervisors, business people and insurance companies have greater control over medicine than docs...particularly in primary care.