Author Topic: Stallworth suspended 1 year  (Read 2686 times)

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Stallworth suspended 1 year
« on: August 13, 2009, 08:51:39 AM »
A league source tells us that Browns receiver Donte' Stallworth has been suspended for the entire 2009 season.

The suspension comes in the wake of Stallworth's guilty plea to felony DUI manslaughter in Florida.

Stallworth previously had been suspended indefinitely by Commissioner Roger Goodell, pending a full review of the case.

UPDATE:  The league has confirmed the suspension, via a press release.  Stallworth will be reinstated after the Super Bowl.  Excerpts of Goodell's letter to Stallworth can be read right here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Stallworth suspended 1 year
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 11:51:10 AM »
Where is the outrage? 

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:57:22 PM »
Getting behind the wheel drunk and killing people is ok, especially if they're poor.  If he ran over a dog, I'd be having a fit

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:32:21 PM »
Where is the outrage? 

outrage over what?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
outrage over what?

The fact Stallworth got drunk and high and killed a person.  I was listening to people yesterday talk about Vick like he was the antichrist.  Stallworth serves less than a month in jail and gets a virtual slap on the wrist by the NFL and there is complete silence across the country.  Has MADD even commented on this? 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 01:41:25 PM »
The fact Stallworth got drunk and high and killed a person.  I was listening to people yesterday talk about Vick like he was the antichrist.  Stallworth serves less than a month in jail and gets a virtual slap on the wrist by the NFL and there is complete silence across the country.  Has MADD even commented on this? 

Is that how you view it? Stallworth got drunk and high and killed someone?

Also, if 1 year without pay is a slap on the wrist, what is a real discipline? Lifetime ban? That's just silly.

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 01:47:53 PM »

How else are you supposed to view it?  Any sensible adult knows that if you get behind the wheel drunk, bad shit is very likely to happen 

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 01:59:04 PM »
How else are you supposed to view it?  Any sensible adult knows that if you get behind the wheel drunk, bad shit is very likely to happen 

the guy was playing froggie in a miami causeway, its not like stallworth swerved on to a sidewalk

yes he was legally drunk, thats bad. However, the victim was a moron for illegally crossing the road like that.

body88

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 02:05:58 PM »
Mike Vick and Donte Stallworth have nothing to do with one another.  It's apples and oranges.  Vick's crimes were premeditated, well thought out, personally funded and ongoing for over six years.  They involved torture, mutilation and the abduction and murder of other peoples pets and property.  Stallworth committed a terrible crime that was due to an isolated lapse in judgement (I'm not aware of Stallworth driving drunk at any other time), compounded by a pedestrian darting into the road.  Obviously the implications of Stallworths crime were more serious, but again, the two situations are totally different and unrelated. 

Comparing the two is like comparing two different judges rulings on two different crimes with totally different variables..... oh wait!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »

Also, if 1 year without pay is a slap on the wrist, what is a real discipline? Lifetime ban? That's just silly.

No, that's not how I view it.  He got drunk and high and killed someone.

Yes it's a slap on the wrist, especially when you consider the gravity of his crime and that fact he really wasn't punished by the courts.  I wouldn't say lifetime ban, but I would have given him at least two years, or something like one year with him having to apply for reinstatement after a year.   

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 08:35:58 PM »
The dfference is that stallworth did the right thing after the accident.  He also shows remorese and as for jail time it's mute point.  He also paid millions in reperations to the family.  they are actually better off now than before the acident.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 08:44:08 PM »
Mike Vick and Donte Stallworth have nothing to do with one another.  It's apples and oranges.  Vick's crimes were premeditated, well thought out, personally funded and ongoing for over six years.  They involved torture, mutilation and the abduction and murder of other peoples pets and property.  Stallworth committed a terrible crime that was due to an isolated lapse in judgement (I'm not aware of Stallworth driving drunk at any other time), compounded by a pedestrian darting into the road.  Obviously the implications of Stallworths crime were more serious, but again, the two situations are totally different and unrelated. 

Comparing the two is like comparing two different judges rulings on two different crimes with totally different variables..... oh wait!

Sure they have something to do with each other when it comes to both public perception and NFL punishment.  For example, when the commish is deciding the fate of a player, he has to evaluate how he has punished other players for off-the-field misconduct.  He should be consistent.  I like his approach to the job so far and think the Stallworth punishment is a big improvement over Leonard Little, but didn't quite go far enough.

And regarding Vick, I've heard some overstatements about what he did.  You mentioned he abducted people's pets?  Are you sure about that?  

Both you and the Eagles owner have referred to his inexcusable animal cruelty as "murder."  Not to split hairs, but you can't murder an animal.    

body88

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 01:20:25 AM »
Sure they have something to do with each other when it comes to both public perception and NFL punishment.  For example, when the commish is deciding the fate of a player, he has to evaluate how he has punished other players for off-the-field misconduct.  He should be consistent.  I like his approach to the job so far and think the Stallworth punishment is a big improvement over Leonard Little, but didn't quite go far enough.

And regarding Vick, I've heard some overstatements about what he did.  You mentioned he abducted people's pets?  Are you sure about that?  

Both you and the Eagles owner have referred to his inexcusable animal cruelty as "murder."  Not to split hairs, but you can't murder an animal.    

Sure they have something to do with each other when it comes to both public perception and NFL punishment.  For example, when the commish is deciding the fate of a player, he has to evaluate how he has punished other players for off-the-field misconduct.  He should be consistent.  I like his approach to the job so far and think the Stallworth punishment is a big improvement over Leonard Little, but didn't quite go far enough.
I agree, but what the commish of the NFL decides to do has nothing to do with the US legal system it's judges or it's laws.  Since Vick and Stallworth commited two tottally different crimes, with two different sets of variables, I don't see a connection at all.

And regarding Vick, I've heard some overstatements about what he did.  You mentioned he abducted people's pets?  Are you sure about that? 

Yes, Vick and co used to search for family pets to throw into the ring.  The statements about electrocution, beating and shooting animals to death are all true.

Both you and the Eagles owner have referred to his inexcusable animal cruelty as "murder."  Not to split hairs, but you can't murder an animal.
Then why split hairs my friend  ;)

I've said several times, if Vick had just ran a dog fighting ring, I would have given him a second chance (after he paid his debt)  But to do what Vick did for six+ years is inexcusable, imo.  It takes a sick fuck to hang a dog for laughs.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 01:59:51 AM »
I can't believe these two are being compared.  Body88 is right.

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 02:02:47 AM »
I can't believe these two are being compared.  Body88 is right.

actually, he's wrong.  i wonder what wonderland i'm living in when I read a thread like this

body88

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 10:01:48 AM »
actually, he's wrong.  i wonder what wonderland i'm living in when I read a thread like this

Please explain.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 10:19:42 AM »
No, that's not how I view it.  He got drunk and high and killed someone.

Yes it's a slap on the wrist, especially when you consider the gravity of his crime and that fact he really wasn't punished by the courts.  I wouldn't say lifetime ban, but I would have given him at least two years, or something like one year with him having to apply for reinstatement after a year.   

BB, he failed a marijuana test. we dont know if he was high at the time

punished by the courts?

he was punished to the fullest extent. Blame the victim's family for TAKING THE MONEY rather than going through trial.

its not like he would have served significant jail time anyway

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 08:25:24 PM »
BB, he failed a marijuana test. we dont know if he was high at the time

punished by the courts?

he was punished to the fullest extent. Blame the victim's family for TAKING THE MONEY rather than going through trial.

its not like he would have served significant jail time anyway

O.K.  He failed a marijuana test and may or may not have been high at the time.  Would not surprise me if he was high, but you're correct that we don't know for certain. 

He absolutely was not punished to the fullest extent of the law.  He was facing years in prison.  He served less than 30 days.  They might as well have not given him any prison time at all.

I'm not blaming the victim's family for taking the money.  I don't blame them at all for doing what they did.  But that doesn't justify his conduct, the slap on the wrist by the courts, or the NFL's response.  Also, this isn't like a rape case where they needed a victim to testify.   

I wonder if the lack of public outcry is related to the fact that so many people drink and drive?  (Rhetorical question.)

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
Was the guy who got killed drinking?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2009, 10:14:43 PM »
vick go the shaft for his crimes imho his crimes were heinous without a doubt but stallworth killed another HUMAN BEING and that in itself is in another league.

body88

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 07:43:31 AM »

Still waiting

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 02:48:56 PM »
Was the guy who got killed drinking?

I don't think so, but he was apparently crossing the street outside of a crosswalk. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 10:07:35 AM »
the guy was playing froggie in a miami causeway, its not like stallworth swerved on to a sidewalk

yes he was legally drunk, thats bad. However, the victim was a moron for illegally crossing the road like that.

Wrong.

While I don't believe the Stallworth account of what happened, even if he was 100% truthful, he's still on the hook.  When you commit a felony and someone dies during the commission of that felony, then you're at least partially liable for their death (for example, you rob a bank, run out in the street, and a car swerves and kills a pedestrian...you're responsible!). 

So many people are excusing Stallworth under the rationale of 'he made a mistake...it's something that 1000s of people do each day' and that's exactly the wrong attitude and is the reason why DUI sentencing laws are such a joke.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 10:37:57 AM »
sorry buddy, logic overrules feelings in this arguement.

The guy had no business dodging widowmakers in the road like that. It's a fucking causeway, two sides coming and going. No sidewalks, traffic lights, stop signs, not even a bike path.

The victim has no case. It just so happens stallworth was drunk, and no one is giving him a pardon, just stating how the law operates. Even if stallworth did not take the plea, you better believe he would have served minimal jail time. A year at most.