Author Topic: This is what I call "Gun Control" & why a Shotgun is the best Defense Weapon!  (Read 4347 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
2 Dead, 2 Injured: Harlem Biz Owner Shoots Suspected Robbers
Photograph by yojimbot on Flickr

Two men are dead after a Harlem business owner fired at four people trying to rob his store. City Room reports that the owner used a shotgun when the four "tried to rob his restaurant-supply business... The business, the Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame Corporation, at 523 West 125th Street, near Amsterdam Avenue, provides parts and repairs for commercial gas and electric ranges. It was not immediately known whether the robbers were armed, or whether the business owner had a license for the shotgun." The owner is reportedly Charles Augusto Jr., who is 72.

The other two men are injured and at the hospital. According to WCBS 2 (reporter Lou Young happened to be near there and was one of 911 callers), "A man standing outside the business was seen shouting at one of the dead bodies lying on the sidewalk in front of the shop, 'You're dead! You're dead!' He told police the suspects put a gun to his head. A second dead body rested in the street near a car that had visible blood stains on it. Another man was down across the street with his pants around his ankles, perhaps falling down as he ran away. His face was covered in blood, however he was still breathing."

A witness told WABC 7, "An officer had lifted the sheet up off the body and I happened to see the face from a distance. I don't know who he is, but I could tell he was young." And the incident occurred next to a day care center—children were ferried through the crime scene by their teachers.

Update: CityRoom now says, "The four would-be robbers entered the business and announced that they were robbing it. One of them took out a 9-mm pistol and started to to pistol-whip a 33-year old employee inside the store. The owner then took out a shotgun and opened fire, striking the four men."
________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ___

When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away. 

Thank God for the Second Amendment!   

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Awesome!  Guy should get a civic award and keys to the city!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Awesome!  Guy should get a civic award and keys to the city!

I like Bloomberg, but on this issue he is dead wrong. 

This guy is a hero than thank God for the armed citizen! 

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
They really are good for home defense too.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
I like Bloomberg, but on this issue he is dead wrong. 

This guy is a hero than thank God for the armed citizen! 

what if he was an illegal?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
They really are good for home defense too.

I love this quote:

"Another man was down across the street with his pants around his ankles, perhaps falling down as he ran away. His face was covered in blood, however he was still breathing."

You know exactly what that means.  

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
what if he was an illegal?

If it was the store owner - how did he get the firearm and whose SS # did he steal? 

If the perps were all illegals??  -  Great job by the store owner. 

drkaje

• Getbig V
I love this quote:

"Another man was down across the street with his pants around his ankles, perhaps falling down as he ran away. His face was covered in blood, however he was still breathing."

You know exactly what that means.  

It means he shot a fucktard too stupid to wear clothes properly.

No more, no less.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It means he shot a fucktard too stupid to wear clothes properly.

No more, no less.

By IKIMULISA LIVINGSTON, JOHN DOYLE and LUKAS I. ALPERT
hide topics  Last updated: 7:31 pm
August 13, 2009
Posted: 5:51 pm
August 13, 2009

A 72-year-old Harlem business owner turned Bernie Goetz on four would-be robbers this afternoon, pulling a pump-action shot gun from beneath his desk and opening fire, killing two and wounding the others, cops said.

The four men barged into Kaplan Bros. Blue Flame Corp. -- a restaurant supply company at 523 W. 125th St. -- around 3 p.m. and one of them pulled out a handgun and began pistol whipping an employee.

That prompted the owner to pull out the 12-gauge shotgun and fire three shots, striking all four men, cops said. The four robbers ran, but two collapsed to the ground just outside the store. One fell right in the doorway and was declared dead at the scene. The other was rushed to the hospital where he died.

The other two ran but were picked up nearby and hospitalized.

Public records identified the owner of the business and the building it is in as Charles Augusto Jr., 72, of Irvington, NY.

Witnesses described a wild scene as the four men came running out of the business, pursued by one of Augusto's angry employees.

"I heard two blasts," said Vernon McKenzie who rents an apartment in the building from Augusto. "I came down and saw one of the guys who works there over a man in the doorway screaming, 'You're dead! You're dead!"

"He's been robbed before and I guess he was prepared," McKenzie said. "Those dudes ran into some real tough stuff today."

Several witnesses said the employee than dragged the man into the middle of the pavement where he died.

"The man pulled him from inside the store," said a woman who watched from her window across the street. "His face had blood all over it."

The man's body remained on the sidewalk covered by a sheet for several hours - his right shoe lying next to his head - as police investigated the crime scene.

Augusto and his employees were being questioned at the 26 Precinct late yesterday and no charges were immediately filed. It was unclear if Augusto was licensed to carry the gun.

A woman who answered the phone at Augusto's home late yesterday only said, "Thank you, but I have no comment" before hanging up.

Stefany Blyn, 56, who has lived above the business for 25 years described Augusto - who she said was known as Gus -- as "very laid back, very relaxed."

"Gus has been robbed a few times over the years. There have been attempts made before - some successful," she said. "He wasn't afraid of the neighborhood."

Augusto has run the business in Harlem for as long as most residents could remember. Records show that it first opened in 1920, selling professional gas ranges to commercial kitchens and home owners alike.

Additional reporting by Jamie Schram

________________________ ________________________ __________-

Damn!  This sounds like Gran Turino! 

splinterhands

• Getbig II
Damn good shooting!

I agree that a shotgun is the best defensive weapon in most situations.   If you're stationary, the shotgun is hands down the best choice.  Keep buckshot loaded in the gun and get a shell holder for the stock to keep slugs and you're set for any situation. :)

For advancing on someone, I'd still take my Glock in most indoor situations, although that would make it an offensive weapon.  A shotgun would be relatively easy to take away in the right situation where you can tuck a Glock in close to your body as you advance and make it impossible to get without taking a few to the chest in the process.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Damn good shooting!

I agree that a shotgun is the best defensive weapon in most situations.   If you're stationary, the shotgun is hands down the best choice.  Keep buckshot loaded in the gun and get a shell holder for the stock to keep slugs and you're set for any situation. :)

For advancing on someone, I'd still take my Glock in most indoor situations, although that would make it an offensive weapon.  A shotgun would be relatively easy to take away in the right situation where you can tuck a Glock in close to your body as you advance and make it impossible to get without taking a few to the chest in the process.

drkaje

• Getbig V
Thieves try taking away the man's livelihood and he's probably going to die broke from legal fees.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Thieves try taking away the man's livelihood and he's probably going to die broke from legal fees.

I will help out pro bono if need be.  This man is a hero.  I hope the punks around my hood take note.  Some jerkoff in the Bronx tries that shit in my office he will meet the same fate courtesy of a 12 guage. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
I think what happened was great/tragic

But how many years do you think this guy will spend behind bars?

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
I will help out pro bono if need be.  This man is a hero.  I hope the punks around my hood take note.  Some jerkoff in the Bronx tries that shit in my office he will meet the same fate courtesy of a 12 guage. 

just curious, whats your address, hmm?

;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Running shoes are your frirst option :)

Aside from that, nothing beats a pistol grip mossberg in most CQB situations.

AR-15 would be a nice second choice, but you don't wnt to kill your neighbors with the bullets punching thru the bad guys.

w8tlftr

• Getbig V
  • I ♥ ( o Y o )
Awesome!!!  ;D

Good Guy: 4
Shitbags: 0

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
just curious, whats your address, hmm?

;D

Corner of Neireid Ave. & Webster Ave., Bronx, N.Y.

drkaje

• Getbig V
Corner of Neireid Ave. & Webster Ave., Bronx, N.Y.

Going to the city in Oct for a wedding.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Going to the city in Oct for a wedding.

Nice.  October is a wierd month.  the beginning is always warm and by the end it gets cold. 

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Nice.  October is a wierd month.  the beginning is always warm and by the end it gets cold. 

HARLEM STORE OWNER: I HAD NO CHOICE BUT TO SHOOT THUGS

Read Comments Leave a Comment By MATT NESTEL, IKIMULISA LIVINGSTON, JOHN DOYLE and LUKAS I. ALPERT

August 14, 2009

Charles Augusto, Jr., bought a gun 20 years ago after he was first robbed, but never discharged it until yesterday, when four would-be robbers entered his Harlem restaurant-supply company yesterday afternoon, pulled a gun on him and demanded money.

"I was hoping I could have talked them out of it. I'm sorry they're dead but they didn't give me any other choice," Augusto said.

After the Westchester Co. resident made it clear there was no money in the Kaplan Bros. Blue Flame Corp. store-- they hadn't even had any customers in the store that day -- the bandits turned their attention to his 33-year-old assistant, JB, and starting pistol-whipping him and demanding money.

That prompted Augusto to pull the 12-gauge, pump-action shotgun and fire three times, cops said. The blasts struck all four men, two of them in the back.

One of the perps, James Morgan, 29, fell in the doorway and died outside the building, with a gun near his body. Raylin Footman, 21, who had prior arrests for robbery and weapons charges, collapsed across the street, and later died at St. Luke's Hospital.

Two other suspects, Bernard Witherspoon, 21, and Shamel McCloud, 21, were caught a few blocks away.

Augusto said he told the thugs, "No one even came in here today. Take your gun, put it in your pocket and go home."

"I could see it in the guy's eyes that he wanted to go home. I just had a feeling he wanted to forget about it. It's a damn shame."

Augusto, who hasn't been charged in the shootings, retold the harrowing tale this morning.

"I was sitting at the desk there. (Feet up) And there was a ruckus up front. There were men upfront. And a guy standing with a pistol pointed at me screaming 'where's the money?, where's the money?' I told him there was no money. I told him to put away the gun. This doesn't make sense. Put down the gun there's no money. Go home and we'll forget about it'

The gunman instead left Augusto to help the other thugs beat up JB, who has worked for Augusto for 19 years. They demanded the money from his pockets as they beat him with the gun.

"You lost your life for $4.35 cents. That's all I had on me. There was no money here," JB, who was shot in the face 16 years ago, said.

Left alone in the back of the store, Augusto went for his gun, which had been hidden for 20 years.

"I didn't have it in my hand. I wasn't even going to go looking for it. I had to wait till they moved. That's when they made a mistake. They got out of my sight and that's when I could grab the gun. Some kids are dead because of it."

This morning, JB said, "How you gonna talk down a guy with a gun in my face. I hit him. That's all I had on me. I stuck up for my life. To make sure this wasn't going to happen to me. I have a 13-year-old."

Augusto said, "What's the worst they could do, shoot me? I guess so. I'm not going to lay down and die. I'm just not going to. It wasn't my choice. It was their choice."

"I did what I had to do. I didn't want to. I'm sad that there're mothers and fathers who lost a son today."

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __

Wow.  What a story. 

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Awsome story.....
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
parents should tell this story at bedtime instead of the 3 little pigs.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
parents should tell this story at bedtime instead of the 3 little pigs.

This story is getting a ton of local air play.

The dems are silent on it and the talk radio hosts are all over it.   

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
This story is getting a ton of local air play.

The dems are silent on it and the talk radio hosts are all over it.   

The dems are silent?  ??? Most current events stories don't elicit responses along political lines unless they are overtly political. Pretty much everyone in New York feels that scum got what they deserved. 

It's ridiculous to try to politicize this story, but if you were absolutely determined to do so, this story would serve as a better example of why there should be gun control laws. I don't have strong feelings for or against gun control and I don't really follow the issue much, but the most prominent gun control measures I'm aware of involve limiting the amount of guns one customer can buy at a time and limiting access to guns to known criminals. Considering the thugs involved had criminal records and more than likely purchased their guns on the black market, and the store owner had a registered shotgun,  how does this case show that gun regulations are bad?