Author Topic: Report: John Edwards to admit paternity of ex-mistress' child...  (Read 1642 times)

James

Sources: Edwards to admit paternity of ex-mistress' child

Raleigh, N.C. — Sources have told WRAL News that they expect former U.S. Sen. John Edwards to admit that he is the father of his former mistress' 18-month-old daughter.

Edwards, a two-time Democratic presidential candidate, confessed last August to having an affair with Rielle Hunter, who served as a videographer on Edwards' 2008 campaign. He has denied fathering her daughter, saying his relationship with Hunter ended before the child was conceived.

The name of the girl's father isn't disclosed on her birth certificate.

Andrew Young, a long-time Edwards aide, initially claimed to be the father of Hunter's child, but he is reportedly writing a book in which he will claim Edwards is the father.

A federal grand jury is investigating whether Edwards' campaign funds were illegally paid to Hunter to keep quiet about the affair.

Hunter spent nine hours last Thursday at the federal courthouse in Raleigh, where the grand jury was meeting. She brought her daughter, Frances, with her.

Young was at the federal courthouse in July when the grand jury was meeting.

Sources said Edwards' public admission could come before the end of the criminal investigation.

Edwards' attorney, Wade Smith, couldn't be reached Thursday for comment.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/politics/story/5791651/

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
Re: Report: John Edwards to admit paternity of ex-mistress' child...
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 06:47:30 AM »
if this happens will anyone really be surprised

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:32:13 AM »
And to think this man could have been president. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 04:23:29 AM »
{LOL} That poor guy is getting it from all sides. His wife owns him now. He shudda kept it zipped.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 07:26:06 AM »
That will be the final nail in the coffin of his political career.

If he was going to blow up his political career he could have at least picked a better looking woman

James

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 07:53:13 AM »

true

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:44:58 AM »
I was always bummed that MSNBC let this story on the air long before FOX news did.

maybe they wanted to wait until he was the nominee to leak it?  If so, they're playing partisan politics instead of "we report, you decide!"

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:55 PM »
That will be the final nail in the coffin of his political career.

If he was going to blow up his political career he could have at least picked a better looking woman

Don't be a drama queen.  His career ended some time ago! ::)

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »

...didn't he start the affair with this woman when his wife was a 40-lb bag of bones with end stage cancer?

Isn't a little compassion called for here...?

I was surprised when his wife (now in remission) claimed she was so hurt by the affair on Oprah. I would have assumed she gave him the go ahead to look elsewhere, considering her illness.

Similarly, I never understood the Republican need to drag Clinton through the mud over Blowjobgate.

The French newspapers won't even publish evidence of an affair. They take a more moral approach, believing only the slighted wife has a right to know... it then being her decision whether to go public, or not.

What would have happened if Hilary Clinton had responded to the Lewinsky scandal by admitting to an open marriage in which both she and Bill indulged cetain indiscretions?

Not all marriages are monogamous.

The Luke

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2009, 08:17:58 PM »
Don't be a drama queen.  His career ended some time ago! ::)

you call that drama?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:29 PM »
...didn't he start the affair with this woman when his wife was a 40-lb bag of bones with end stage cancer?

Isn't a little compassion called for here...?

I was surprised when his wife (now in remission) claimed she was so hurt by the affair on Oprah. I would have assumed she gave him the go ahead to look elsewhere, considering her illness.

Similarly, I never understood the Republican need to drag Clinton through the mud over Blowjobgate.

The French newspapers won't even publish evidence of an affair. They take a more moral approach, believing only the slighted wife has a right to know... it then being her decision whether to go public, or not.

What would have happened if Hilary Clinton had responded to the Lewinsky scandal by admitting to an open marriage in which both she and Bill indulged cetain indiscretions?

Not all marriages are monogamous.

The Luke

I'm not sure how to respond to this.  If I was coming up with a list of the worst things a husband could do to a wife, cheating on her while she is dying of cancer would be right near the top of the list.

I wasn't aware she was in remission.  My understanding is she is terminal.   

Forty pound bag of bones?  Have you seen her?  ::)

There are numerous problems with this from a political standpoint, including (1) if he cannot remain faithful to his marriage vows, particularly while his wife is fighting for her life, there is a legitimate question about whether he can be trusted to run the country; (2) he was fostering the image of a choir boy, when he knew he clearly was not; and (3) he was running for Commander in Chief and adultery is a crime in the military. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:07 PM »
I'm not sure how to respond to this.  If I was coming up with a list of the worst things a husband could do to a wife, cheating on her while she is dying of cancer would be right near the top of the list.

There are numerous problems with this from a political standpoint, including (1) if he cannot remain faithful to his marriage vows, particularly while his wife is fighting for her life, there is a legitimate question about whether he can be trusted to run the country; (2) he was fostering the image of a choir boy, when he knew he clearly was not; and (3) he was running for Commander in Chief and adultery is a crime in the military. 

::)  And I'm sure at one point in his life, ...he probably jay-walked, ...or spit on a sidewalk... let's lock him up?  ::)
It's nobody's business who he has relations with, ...and his wife knew before anyone else. She knew long before the story broke. It's between her & her husband. none of my business. Same with the Clintons who I believe had an "understanding" which I doubt, judgemental, inquisitive (nosey) North Americans could neither fathom nor accept... not that it's any of our business either. I personally think if hilary was pissed off over the lewinsky affair, ...it was due to a lack of discretion, he didn't cover his tracks well enough, ...not because he was experimenting with cigars.
w

Victor VonDoom

• Getbig IV
  • ...and Doom shall control the world!
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 07:10:03 AM »

Why is having an affair while your wife has cancer worse than having an affair when she does not have cancer?

Lots of politicians have affairs.  Does that mean they cannot be trusted to execute their duties in office?  Why stop at politicians?  If we start firing everyone who has an affair very few people would have jobs.

Virtually everyone vying for a job fosters the image of a choir boy to their prospective employer.

Civilian leaders are not bound by the same rules as officers.  In any case, adultery as criminality is antiquated and parochial.  See “The Scarlet Letter” for more on this.

Doom is amused by your naiveté.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

...you do know that affairs in these "Spouses of cancer patients" support groups are pretty common.

Think about it for a while and you might begin to understand; people resent the sick, try as you might to overcome it - it is just human nature. No matter how charitable and noble your nature, a few years of 24 hour sickness can wear that down.

Besides, I would have thought she might like the idea of her husband having someone lined up already... but I guess that might be a genetic difference between the US and Europe: a Puritanic inheritance of sexual jealousy.

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 03:00:14 PM »
::)  And I'm sure at one point in his life, ...he probably jay-walked, ...or spit on a sidewalk... let's lock him up?  ::)
It's nobody's business who he has relations with, ...and his wife knew before anyone else. She knew long before the story broke. It's between her & her husband. none of my business. Same with the Clintons who I believe had an "understanding" which I doubt, judgemental, inquisitive (nosey) North Americans could neither fathom nor accept... not that it's any of our business either. I personally think if hilary was pissed off over the lewinsky affair, ...it was due to a lack of discretion, he didn't cover his tracks well enough, ...not because he was experimenting with cigars.

::)  It's the American public's business.  It's none of your business, because you're Canadian and we don't care what you think.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »
Why is having an affair while your wife has cancer worse than having an affair when she does not have cancer?

Lots of politicians have affairs.  Does that mean they cannot be trusted to execute their duties in office?  Why stop at politicians?  If we start firing everyone who has an affair very few people would have jobs.

Virtually everyone vying for a job fosters the image of a choir boy to their prospective employer.

Civilian leaders are not bound by the same rules as officers.  In any case, adultery as criminality is antiquated and parochial.  See “The Scarlet Letter” for more on this.

Doom is amused by your naiveté.

And you call me naive??  Sheesh.  A woman dying of cancer is probably in a much more fragile state than a woman who is healthy.  The terminally ill wife would probably have a much harder time dealing with betrayal than a healthy wife.  (I can't believe I'm responding to this.) 

Politicians are in a position of public trust.  And yes, any politician who cheats on his spouse raises legitimate concerns about whether he can be trusted to hold public office. 

We're not talking about everyone.  We're talking about the man running for the most powerful position on the planet. 

You sound like you have a very different view of leadership.  Leaders must have the "moral authority" to head their organization.  A true, effective leader does not engage in conduct that his employees are unable to participate in.  For instance, if you're the CIC, you don't engage in conduct that can result in a prison sentence for your employees.  You lead by example. 

Doesn't really matter how you want to characterize the crime of adultery.  The fact is it's a crime in the military.  It's the height of hypocrisy for the CIC to punish a military officer for conduct the CIC is engaging in himself. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 03:13:49 PM »
...you do know that affairs in these "Spouses of cancer patients" support groups are pretty common.

Think about it for a while and you might begin to understand; people resent the sick, try as you might to overcome it - it is just human nature. No matter how charitable and noble your nature, a few years of 24 hour sickness can wear that down.

Besides, I would have thought she might like the idea of her husband having someone lined up already... but I guess that might be a genetic difference between the US and Europe: a Puritanic inheritance of sexual jealousy.

The Luke

No, I don't know that affairs by spouses of cancer patients is pretty common.  But even if they are, so what?  Doesn't make it right. 

Okay, I've thought about John Edwards, husband and father, cheating on his terminally ill wife while running for president. . . .   It's still reprehensible conduct.

The response to John Edwards is genetic?  lol . . . . 

Can you link me to the story that says she is in remission as you claim?   

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:39 PM »
The response to John Edwards is genetic?  lol . . . . 

...wasn't most of red state America settled by the Puritans that had worn out their welcome in Europe?

Regarding his wife; I was under the impression that she was somewhat normal looking nowadays... I thought she was long-term bedridden and exceedigly frail when he started his affair.

Either way, presidential candidates who seek solace in the arms of another woman as their wife suffers an extended terminal decline is hardly reprehensible. Presidential candidates who want to start wars while instituting policies detrimental to the poor, that's reprehensible.

My point is that no one would have blamed Terri Schiavo's (spelling?) husband for having an affair, yet Edwards situation wasn't all that different.

The Luke 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:58 PM »
...wasn't most of red state America settled by the Puritans that had worn out their welcome in Europe?

Regarding his wife; I was under the impression that she was somewhat normal looking nowadays... I thought she was long-term bedridden and exceedigly frail when he started his affair.

Either way, presidential candidates who seek solace in the arms of another woman as their wife suffers an extended terminal decline is hardly reprehensible. Presidential candidates who want to start wars while instituting policies detrimental to the poor, that's reprehensible.

My point is that no one would have blamed Terri Schiavo's (spelling?) husband for having an affair, yet Edwards situation wasn't all that different.

The Luke 

Now you're talking about religious influences from over 200 years ago??  So now it's not genetics? 

Dude.  You said his wife went from a "40-lb bag of bones" to "somewhat normal looking"?  Are you just making this stuff up or have you actually read up/watched her story? 

We have different views of reprehensible conduct.  What this man did, by his own admission, was absolutely terrible. 

Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state.  Edwards' wife was never in a coma or PVS.  Schiavo's husband was not running for president.  Edwards was.  Schiavo's husband was very open about his girlfriend, and the kids he fathered with her.  Edwards lied to his wife and the public.  No comparison.     

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 08:26:58 PM »
Terri Schiavo was in a persistent vegetative state.  Edwards' wife was never in a coma or PVS.  Schiavo's husband was not running for president.  Edwards was.

...well this makes my point about religious sensibilities being genetic in origin.

Stupid is just bred into some people.

The Luke

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 08:32:32 PM »
...well this makes my point about religious sensibilities being genetic in origin.

Stupid is just bred into some people.

The Luke

Which point?  You said it was genetic.  You said it religious influence.  Which is it?

Wait . . . there is a "religious sensibilities" gene?  LOL!  Prove it.  lol . . . .

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
Which point?  You said it was genetic.  You said it religious influence.  Which is it?

Wait . . . there is a "religious sensibilities" gene?  LOL!  Prove it.  lol . . . .

...yes it's genetic, stoopid is genetic.

The Luke

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2009, 09:28:33 PM »
BB has been consistent on this - I believe he even said he couldn't vote for Newt for pres because he was shagging some chick on the side while married, while at the same time calling for Clinton to resign for the BJ.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 11:57:04 AM »
...yes it's genetic, stoopid is genetic.

The Luke

Tell me more about this "religious sensibilities" gene.   :)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 01:01:15 PM »

I guess its only our buisiness if the guy is the governor of South Carloina.THEN its a huge story.