Poll

Love or Hate HBK?

Love
4 (80%)
Hate
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: (14th Aug) Love Or Hate?  (Read 2289 times)

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
(14th Aug) Love Or Hate?
« on: August 14, 2009, 03:06:09 PM »
Shawn Michaels

To put it simply, is HBK one of the greatest in-ring performers of all time?  Someone who gives everything he has every single time he gets in the ring, and who can be relied upon to steal the show at the slightest opportunity.  As a self-confessed 'smaller guy', and despite career ending injuries, has he stayed at the top of the industry despite some people's doubts?  Has he been a part of some of the most memorable moments in WWF/E history, slamming Marty Jannetty through the barbershop window, DX's feud with Vince, and Ric Flair's retirement?

OR

Is he the most arrogant, selfish guy the industry has ever seen?  Someone who would walk over anyone as long as it was for his own gain?  Was he instrumental in the Montreal Screw Job, yet pleaded innocence afterwards?  A man whose cocky, vain character through the 90's was merely him being himself?  Someone who has never been the same since his back injury, and should have called it a day years ago?  A man who has nothing new to offer, so brings back DX just so he can relive his former glories?

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
Re: (14th Aug) Love Or Hate?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 05:48:37 AM »
I’ve never met the guy personally, but from everything I’ve heard and read Shawn is definitely not one of the cockiest/most arrogant guys in the locker room.

I believe he always was a bit histrionic from back in his AWA days, and those traits perpetuated, coming to a peak starting with his I.C. run in the Fed, and continuing on up to his post Stone Cold “job” hiatus after Mania.

I don’t know how big a factor the back surgery played in his performance. He had a great outing in that street fight program he worked with HHH (in 2002?).
Don’t forget the guy’s about 45 now. Most athletes do slow down a bit around that time – usually before – regardless of what kind of shape they’re in.

As far as the booking of DX because of a lack of better ideas, talk to the writers and Hunter.
If they gave HBK something better he could likely deliver.

I don’t think Shawn will physically last much longer in the ring. His heart may be willing, and the fans may want to see him, but he needs to be smart at the same time.
He should have a lot of money saved up by now to the point where he doesn’t “have” to work ever again. Why not enjoy it now without the risk of becoming another Dynamite Kid?

Also, most of those guys have hefty egos, and he may want to bow out now – gracefully – before diminishing his legacy by hanging on past his prime and turning in pathetic performances (at least by HBK’s high standards).

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
I don’t think Shawn will physically last much longer in the ring. His heart may be willing, and the fans may want to see him, but he needs to be smart at the same time.
He should have a lot of money saved up by now to the point where he doesn’t “have” to work ever again. Why not enjoy it now without the risk of becoming another Dynamite Kid?

Also, most of those guys have hefty egos, and he may want to bow out now – gracefully – before diminishing his legacy by hanging on past his prime and turning in pathetic performances (at least by HBK’s high standards).

I agree with this completely.  I think Shawn has acheived everything he could ever want to achieve in the business.  He's going to be remembered as one of the greats, a HOF certainty.  There's no point continuing after your body has reached a certain point.  He could do a lot more now behind the scenes with the younger guys.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 01:35:27 PM »
He's going to get a send off like Flair did. He should anyway. HBK is HOF no doubt about it. After Undertaker at last years Mania there's nothing left out there. Shawns gotta have at least one more Wrestlemania so he can have a send off though. If anyone deserves it it's definitely him. What a career that guy had. How funny was it when he super kicked the little girl in the cafeteria the other night.

I'm not sure if they'll give him the same kind of send off that Ric had.  Maybe if he carries on for a few more years, just making the odd in-ring appearance here and there.  He could probably do well in a 'manager' type role with some of the younger guys, coming and super kicking people now and then.

The kick to the girl in the cafeteria was the only funny point in a generally poor segment.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 05:25:53 AM »
I think shawn, esp. at his peak was fantastic.

great on the mic, great in the ring.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 05:24:33 AM »
I don't remeber any match were Michael's was involved that sucked. He always gave a great show. Especially at any PPV.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 10:20:20 PM »
Great worker, incredible charisma. Enjoyed everything of his going back to the AWA. One of the few guys that can pull a match out of anyone. It's carzy to think he missed 3+ years and didn't miss a beat. Great versatility as well. Can have a great technical match, brawl, fast paced etc.. One of the best ever no question.

From 96-97 there were few better than him at any period of time in any fed. A legendary program with Hart, great matches with Sid, Foley, Vader etc... He's really enhanced his legacy since coming back IMO. If he hadn't he'd still be viewed as a legend but the stuff with Angle,HHH, Jericho really put him as one of the top 5 all time.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 05:14:59 AM »
Who can forget that memorable match he had with Taker at the very first hell in the cell. He is an innovator.