Author Topic: FAVRE SIGNS ONE YEAR DEAL WITH THE VIKINGS  (Read 16971 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: FAVRE SIGNS ONE YEAR DEAL WITH THE VIKINGS
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »

How are they good points?  You guys are saying Michael Jordan is a bad guy, now?   ::)  To me Farve is a whiny little bitch, who is a an attention whore, over the hill and plain old annoying.  Many people feel the same way that I do, and I would say the majority of people wish this clown would retire and shit up.  Jordan never did what Farve has done publicly.

I'm not saying Jordan (or Favre) is a bad guy.  You asked about players who had problems.  Jordan is one, although he is Teflon man.  There are a lot of players who do dumb (even criminal) things, but if their play on the field/court is good enough, they are typically primarily remembered as a great player. 

Look at Barry Sanders, who I think is the greatest RB in NFL history.  He quit after the draft and right before the season, leaving the Lions in a horrible spot.  Really a bad thing to do in an otherwise fairly spotless career.  Nobody even mentions that when his career is discussed. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
I'm not saying Jordan (or Favre) is a bad guy.  You asked about players who had problems.  Jordan is one, although he is Teflon man.  There are a lot of players who do dumb (even criminal) things, but if they're play on the field/court is good enough, they are typically primarily remembered as a great player. 

Look at Barry Sanders, who I think is the greatest RB in NFL history.  He quit after the draft and right before the season, leaving the Lions in a horrible spot.  Really a bad thing to do in an otherwise fairly spotless career.  Nobody even mentions that when his career is discussed. 

Right before training camp of 1999, Barry just flat-out said fuck it. Age 30, at the peak of his career, and part of a losing Lions organization year after year. His abrupt retirement was bad timing but Barry was a great player and a great person. He was the Lion's primary meal ticket for 10 seasons. He made the Lions a shit load of revenue in Jersey sales and home games. The team never reciprocated his efforts by committing to being a winning team. I completely see why he quit on the Lions. But he did it on his own terms and walked away from the game instead of being forced out. And he never felt pressured to come back because of an unfulfilled legacy.

Barry Sanders was a class act on and off the field. A special player for sure.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2009, 11:15:52 AM »
Right before training camp that year, Barry just flat-out said fuck it. Age 30, at the peak of his career, and part of a losing Lions organization year after year. Barry was the Lion's primary meal ticket for 10 seasons. He made the Lions a shit load of revenue in Jersey sales and home games. The team never reciprocated his efforts by committing to being a winning team. I completely see why he quit on the Lions. But he did it on his own terms and walked away from the game without any major injuries.

True, but he should have done it before the draft. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2009, 11:16:18 AM »
Signing Favre is HUGE for Peterson. No more 8 men in the box with a savvy veteran like Favre behind center. Tavaris Jackson could never make the right audibles or pre-snap adjustments when defenses stacked against the run.

If Peterson stays healthy he might run for 2,000 yards with Favre behind center. If I get the number #1 pick again this year, I'm taking AP again.

once in a blue moon...i agree with you...

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
once in a blue moon...i agree with you...

You should always agree with me. You'll be a better person for it....

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »
You should always agree with me. You'll be a better person for it....

You hear those Dos Equis Commercials about the "Most interesting man in the world"

If he Disagrees with you..its because youre wrong.." LOL

body88

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2009, 01:28:56 PM »
Jordan was a bit of a bitch when he unretired and came to DC as the GM. The team was shitty to begin with and his ego allowed him to think that he was the one missing piece to making the Wizards a playoff contender. He demanded way too much out of his not-so-talented teammates and was eventually cast out by ownership from having any further involvement with the future of the Wizards organization.

Maybe it's a stretch to compare the behaviors of Favre versus Jordan. But Jordan was certainly no angel throughout his career with his publicly known vices. His sheer talent above his competition allowed him to be perceived as godlike amongst his peers and even his harshest critics. He was the ultimate winner in his sport and the only player of his talent level during his heyday. That kind of stature gives you a lot of free passes in life.

You really have a bug up your ass about Favre, Body88. Did his playing in the AFC East last year piss you off that much?

Comparing Jordan and Farve is ludacris imo.  I don't have a bug up my ass about Farve inparticular.  Also, I could care less about him playing in the AFC east.  He cost the Jets a playoff run.  I don't like the guy.  I don't like what he stands for, and I think he's over the hill.  Thats all.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2009, 01:39:41 PM »
Jordan was a bit of a bitch when he unretired and came to DC as the GM. The team was shitty to begin with and his ego allowed him to think that he was the one missing piece to making the Wizards a playoff contender. He demanded way too much out of his not-so-talented teammates and was eventually cast out by ownership from having any further involvement with the future of the Wizards organization.

Maybe it's a stretch to compare the behaviors of Favre versus Jordan. But Jordan was certainly no angel throughout his career with his publicly known vices. His sheer talent above his competition allowed him to be perceived as godlike amongst his peers and even his harshest critics. He was the ultimate winner in his sport and the only player of his talent level during his heyday. That kind of stature gives you a lot of free passes in life.

You really have a bug up your ass about Favre, Body88. Did his playing in the AFC East last year piss you off that much?

Agreed on all points, Jordan was a real ass who abused his power in Washington yet was shocked when cut loose. The difference is that he's faded away and hasn't continually repeated this over and over again in the media spotlight.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2009, 04:39:07 PM »
Agreed on all points, Jordan was a real ass who abused his power in Washington yet was shocked when cut loose. The difference is that he's faded away and hasn't continually repeated this over and over again in the media spotlight.

It was a media cicus with Jorday during his 3 1/2 year stretch in Washington as both player and GM. When he decided to play again, his presence put the Wizards in the national spotlight instantly. I don't think owner Abe Polin had it planned out any other way. Polin knew the Wizards still wouldn't win shit, even with Jordan in the lineup. It was all about the money and revenue with him playing for the team would bring, regardless of win/loss record. Jordan and Polin used each other to get what they wanted. As soon as Jordan again announced his retirement as a player, Polin fired his ass right away as the GM. If Jordan would have played one more year, he wouldn't gotten fired.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2009, 07:36:17 PM »

Regarding this whole legacy thing, what happens if the Vikings win the Super Bowl?   

LOL what have you seen from him in the last 10 years that makes you think they can win a super bowl?

all i saw was favre throwing int's to cost his team the game

i'm glad he signed a 2 year contract, that means next offseason we won't have to hear "is brett coming back" conversations for the 6th year in a row ::)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2009, 07:53:26 PM »
LOL what have you seen from him in the last 10 years that makes you think they can win a super bowl?

all i saw was favre throwing int's to cost his team the game

i'm glad he signed a 2 year contract, that means next offseason we won't have to hear "is brett coming back" conversations for the 6th year in a row ::)

E

What have I seen the last ten years?  Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning won Super Bowls the past ten years. 

Favre fell apart the last 6 or 7 games, but was actually very good the first half of the season.  Will he fall apart again?  Quite possible. 

But what if doesn't?   

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2009, 08:19:23 PM »
As soon as Jordan again announced his retirement as a player, Polin fired his ass right away as the GM. If Jordan would have played one more year, he wouldn't gotten fired.

You've interpreted in certain ways that i don't agree with and i'd guess most wouldn't. Playing longer if it would've helped would've only delayed the same thing because Jordan in management sucked, got it all wrong and thought his shit didn't stank-he was flabbergasted that anyone would fire the mighty Jordan! He got what he deserved after plenty of patience from the owner and plenty of hijinks and poor moves by Jordan.

Not the same as with Favre, the Jordan story had a lot of local undercurrents re: management that were not national sports news, weren't paid attention to by many and weren't repeated same time each year over and over again.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2009, 08:56:02 PM »
What have I seen the last ten years?  Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, and Eli Manning won Super Bowls the past ten years. 

Favre fell apart the last 6 or 7 games, but was actually very good the first half of the season.  Will he fall apart again?  Quite possible. 

But what if doesn't?   

how you finish is more important than how you start ;)

he led the league in int's last year, all of the qbs you named were better than the favre of today

E

E

body88

« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2009, 06:17:28 AM »

he led the league in int's last year, all of the qbs you named were better than the favre of today

E

I watched Farve play a lot last year.  The guy was a shell of himself.  He's tarnishing his legacy with his terrible behavior and deteriorating skills.  Look at guys like Manning and Brady.  They are true great and they know how to act.  Imo, Farve cant hold their jocks.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2009, 09:49:30 AM »

But what if doesn't?   
Even in his prime Brett was famous for multiple interceptions in multiple games.  Not two or three ints.  Try 5 or 6 per game.  There's no defense on earth (MN's included) than can surmount that kind of action.

Dilfer, Manning and JOhnson were QBs who do not lose games.  Brett Favre is the exact opposite of that group.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2009, 10:54:04 AM »

E

Yes finishing is more important. 

We can argue about whether Favre of today is as good as Eli, Dilfer, and Johnson, but try willful suspension of disbelief for a moment.  What if Favre plays just well enough for the Vikings to win a Super Bowl?  Wouldn't that make much of the current criticism go away? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2009, 11:02:15 AM »
Even in his prime Brett was famous for multiple interceptions in multiple games.  Not two or three ints.  Try 5 or 6 per game.  There's no defense on earth (MN's included) than can surmount that kind of action.

Dilfer, Manning and JOhnson were QBs who do not lose games.  Brett Favre is the exact opposite of that group.

I don't recall very many games where Favre three 5 or 6 INTs.  Can't be more than a handful.  But he has thrown more INTs than anyone in NFL history.

It's true he has faded down the stretch more than once, but it's also true he has done the following:

- Thrown for more TDs than anyone in NFL history.
- Thrown for more yards than anyone in NFL history.
- Completed more passes than anyone in NFL history.
- Made the Pro Bowl 10 times.
- Won a Super Bowl. 

Favre can lose games, but he also wins a lot too.  I wouldn't even mention him in the same breath with Dilfer, Eli, and Johnson, especially Eli, who might be the luckiest QB in the NFL.

What those three very mediocre QBs showed is you don't need a great QB to win a Super Bowl.  Favre doesn't have to be great in Minnesota.  He just has to be good, or at least better than Tavaris Jackson and Rosenfels.     

body88

« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
I don't recall very many games where Favre three 5 or 6 INTs.  Can't be more than a handful.  But he has thrown more INTs than anyone in NFL history.

It's true he has faded down the stretch more than once, but it's also true he has done the following:

- Thrown for more TDs than anyone in NFL history.
- Thrown for more yards than anyone in NFL history.
- Completed more passes than anyone in NFL history.
- Made the Pro Bowl 10 times.
- Won a Super Bowl. 

Favre can lose games, but he also wins a lot too.  I wouldn't even mention him in the same breath with Dilfer, Eli, and Johnson, especially Eli, who might be the luckiest QB in the NFL.

What those three very mediocre QBs showed is you don't need a great QB to win a Super Bowl.  Favre doesn't have to be great in Minnesota.  He just has to be good, or at least better than Tavaris Jackson and Rosenfels.     

Brett Farve's list of career accolades is not going to turn back time.  It means nothing.  Thats the reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year.  They ignored the fact that Farve is washed up and focused on what he had done in the past. 

You just said that you can win superbowls with medicore qb's, yet you're ok with paying Brett Farve 12.5 million per year to "not be very good"  Why not use most of that money for something else if you don't need a very good QB.  If medicore works just stick with Rosenfels. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
Brett Farve's list of career accolades is not going to turn back time.  It means nothing.  Thats the reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year.  They ignored the fact that Farve is washed up and focused on what he had done in the past. 

You just said that you can win superbowls with medicore qb's, yet you're ok with paying Brett Farve 12.5 million per year to "not be very good"  Why not use most of that money for something else if you don't need a very good QB.  If medicore works just stick with Rosenfels. 

His career accolades mean nothing?  Hardly.  They mean he'll be a first ballot Hall of Famer and will always be considered one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. 

I don't want to give you the impression that I care one way or the other whether Minnesota pays him millions, or nothing at all.  I don't care what they do.  I'm not a Vikings fan.  And I don't like Favre.  But we have to be realistic.  If he plays well enough to get the Vikings a ring, or even deep into the playoffs, he'll repair a lot of the damage he has caused. 

body88

« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2009, 11:41:07 AM »
His career accolades mean nothing?  Hardly.  They mean he'll be a first ballot Hall of Famer and will always be considered one of the greatest QBs in NFL history. 

I don't want to give you the impression that I care one way or the other whether Minnesota pays him millions, or nothing at all.  I don't care what they do.  I'm not a Vikings fan.  And I don't like Favre.  But we have to be realistic.  If he plays well enough to get the Vikings a ring, or even deep into the playoffs, he'll repair a lot of the damage he has caused. 

Ok, you're right about that, but as I said, what do those accolades have to do with his performance on the field, NOW?  Can they turn back time?

Can't disagree there.  I dont think he will, though.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2009, 12:00:24 PM »
Brett Farve's list of career accolades is not going to turn back time.  It means nothing.  Thats the reason the Jets didn't make the playoffs last year.  They ignored the fact that Farve is washed up and focused on what he had done in the past.  You just said that you can win superbowls with medicore qb's, yet you're ok with paying Brett Farve 12.5 million per year to "not be very good"  Why not use most of that money for something else if you don't need a very good QB.  If medicore works just stick with Rosenfels. 

Maybe not the same QB of 5 years ago but not completely washed up. He led the Jets to an 8-3 record and first place before injuring his bicep towards the end of the saeason. I seem to recall him throwing a career high 6 TD passes in one game last season. Washed up? Hardly. When's the last time a QB threw 6 TD passes in one game, especially at age 39?

Forget about the opponent he did it against. Unless it's the Lions, that's impressive as hell considering the talent of today's NFL defenses.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2009, 12:44:45 PM »
Yes finishing is more important. 

We can argue about whether Favre of today is as good as Eli, Dilfer, and Johnson, but try willful suspension of disbelief for a moment.  What if Favre plays just well enough for the Vikings to win a Super Bowl?  Wouldn't that make much of the current criticism go away? 

yes that would but i don't like their chances at all

E
E

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2009, 07:03:33 AM »

Well shoot, let's dust off Bart Starr and sign him up to the Vikings as well.  He's still alive and he's a lock in the Hall of Fame.  Plus he was a better QB than Brett.

This has win written all over it.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2009, 01:09:18 PM »
Beach i dont think anybody is saying that his highlights over his career will be forgotten or diminished its the fact that he has acted in the way that he has that is taking away from his legacy him winning a super bowl wont erase the fact he has acted like a little spoiled brat for two straight years...

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2009, 01:27:54 PM »
actually about 5 years

he's been playing the retirement game for a while now, it wasn't until last year the packers finally decided they had enough of his drama

E
E