Author Topic: FAVRE SIGNS ONE YEAR DEAL WITH THE VIKINGS  (Read 16948 times)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: FAVRE SIGNS ONE YEAR DEAL WITH THE VIKINGS
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31:06 PM »
the great chuck noll once said that when you give retirement serious consideration, it's time to retire

your heart is no longer in it and you won't prepare yourself like a younger hungry athlete

i think favre is proof he was right, one good year in 07 doesn't make up for the many other bad seasons

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2009, 12:07:47 PM »
Beach i dont think anybody is saying that his highlights over his career will be forgotten or diminished its the fact that he has acted in the way that he has that is taking away from his legacy him winning a super bowl wont erase the fact he has acted like a little spoiled brat for two straight years...

I understand what some are saying.  I just think if you look at history and how shallow we sports fans are, this entire episode will be a footnote in Favre's career.  For example, how often do people mention Jordan's problems?  He's still doing commercials.  Ten, twenty years from now people are going to talk about what Favre did on the field, not how he was a drama queen the past couple years (especially if we wins in Minn). 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2009, 12:35:52 PM »
I understand what some are saying.  I just think if you look at history and how shallow we sports fans are, this entire episode will be a footnote in Favre's career.  For example, how often do people mention Jordan's problems?  He's still doing commercials.  Ten, twenty years from now people are going to talk about what Favre did on the field, not how he was a drama queen the past couple years (especially if we wins in Minn). 

jordan was on an entirely different level, arguably the most famous and best athlete ever

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2009, 12:52:16 PM »
jordan was on an entirely different level, arguably the most famous and best athlete ever

E

Yes, arguably.  But what he did was far worse than Favre being a drama queen.  Also, you can substitute Jordan’s name with any athlete who had a great career, but maybe did some dumb things during or near the end of his career.  Result is the same.  In terms of legacy, we talk about what the athlete did on the field/court.   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
Yes, arguably.  But what he did was far worse than Favre being a drama queen.  Also, you can substitute Jordan’s name with any athlete who had a great career, but maybe did some dumb things during or near the end of his career.  Result is the same.  In terms of legacy, we talk about what the athlete did on the field/court.   
Jordan also did far far far far better then farve career wise he is up there with Tiger woods as far as dominance. Brett farve has had a hall of fame career so have alot of players though. You cant compare farves accomplishments to jordans accomplishments jordan could murder somebody and he would still be remembered for his career.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
Jordan also did far far far far better then farve career wise he is up there with Tiger woods as far as dominance. Brett farve has had a hall of fame career so have alot of players though. You cant compare farves accomplishments to jordans accomplishments jordan could murder somebody and he would still be remembered for his career.

I disagree.  You can certainly argue that Jordan was/is a bigger star than Favre and had a better career, but Favre has had a huge impact on the game.  I listed some of his accomplishments earlier in the thread.  He has done what no other QB in the history of the NFL has done in multiple categories.  His career, by the numbers, is as good or better than nearly every QB who has ever played. 

I do agree about Jordan always being a star.  That's why I called him Teflon man.  Nothing sticks.  He can do whatever the heck he wants.   

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2009, 01:36:56 PM »
Only one thing that people fail to see in my opinion.

Favre is still able to do all this.

Why did Green Bay allow him to " hold them hostage" ? Why has he skipped most of the preseason in back to back years and still just walked in as a starting QB.
How it is possible that this one guy can treat the NFL like some amateur league. Ie. Doing just what he likes?

Why? How? With all the talent already in the NFL and pouring in every year.

Maybe the people who evaluate players for a living think that he is that good? Still.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2009, 01:46:28 PM »
I disagree.  You can certainly argue that Jordan was/is a bigger star than Favre and had a better career, but Favre has had a huge impact on the game.  I listed some of his accomplishments earlier in the thread.  He has done what no other QB in the history of the NFL has done in multiple categories.  His career, by the numbers, is as good or better than nearly every QB who has ever played. 

I do agree about Jordan always being a star.  That's why I called him Teflon man.  Nothing sticks.  He can do whatever the heck he wants.   

I agree beach Farve is one of the greatest qb's to play football but jordan is one of the greatest pro athletes to play a sport. His success transcends his sport and goes to a very essence of a generation you cannot compare the two jordans impact was not only in the game of basketball but elsewhere how long have Air jordans been selling? how many other altheletes of any sport have their own clothing line? I can only think of one Tiger

Again you cannot compare Jordan and farve, plenty of football players have great careers beach nobody in football has been as dominant as jordan was in basketball. The two are in completely different leagues as far as their success in their careers go not just in sports but other endevours as well.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2009, 01:57:31 PM »
I agree beach Farve is one of the greatest qb's to play football but jordan is one of the greatest pro athletes to play a sport. His success transcends his sport and goes to a very essence of a generation you cannot compare the two jordans impact was not only in the game of basketball but elsewhere how long have Air jordans been selling? how many other altheletes of any sport have their own clothing line? I can only think of one Tiger

Again you cannot compare Jordan and farve, plenty of football players have great careers beach nobody in football has been as dominant as jordan was in basketball. The two are in completely different leagues as far as their success in their careers go not just in sports but other endevours as well.

I'm comparing their off-the-field/court conduct.  Also, I don't have a problem comparing their careers.  One simply had a better career.  The other had a tremendous career too.  I don't see a problem with comparing the off-the-field/court conduct of both athletes.

It sounds like what you're saying is because Jordan was such a huge success that his misconduct shouldn't be evaluated like Favre's comparatively mild episodes?   

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2009, 02:08:59 PM »
I'm comparing their off-the-field/court conduct.  Also, I don't have a problem comparing their careers.  One simply had a better career.  The other had a tremendous career too.  I don't see a problem with comparing the off-the-field/court conduct of both athletes.

It sounds like what you're saying is because Jordan was such a huge success that his misconduct shouldn't be evaluated like Favre's comparatively mild episodes?   
what im saying is that b/c of his success on and off the court jordan wont be remembered for that. Farve isnt in jordans league as far as success goes neither on the field or off so yes farves antics will take away from his legacy.

Again jordan could go murder someone and he would still be remember for his career farve isnt anywhere close to jordans level success wise.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2009, 02:21:25 PM »
what im saying is that b/c of his success on and off the court jordan wont be remembered for that. Farve isnt in jordans league as far as success goes neither on the field or off so yes farves antics will take away from his legacy.

Again jordan could go murder someone and he would still be remember for his career farve isnt anywhere close to jordans level success wise.

O.K.  Understand.  I still disagree.  I think you're correct to certain degree:  the more successful an athlete, the more leeway he has to be a bad boy.  But I don't think we even have to use Jordan as an example. 

Take Michael Irvin.  I'm not sure how old you are, but were you a fan of the game when he was playing?  That guy was a straight up thug off the field.  Where is he now?  (Hall of Fame)  He was on the networks and all over the radio after his repeated brushes with the law.  Today, his legacy is as a great WR, not the criminal he was. 

Regarding Jordan murdering someone, O.J. showed us that even us sports fans have limits.  :)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »

what did jordan do that affected his team in a negative way?

when you win 6 titles in 8 years, people won't care about gambling or banging groupies heck even if they were losing nobody would care about that

favre held his team hostage for many offseasons, refused to mentor aaron rodgers, and now plays for the vikings so he can "get them" ::)

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2009, 06:04:47 PM »
what did jordan do that affected his team in a negative way?

when you win 6 titles in 8 years, people won't care about gambling or banging groupies heck even if they were losing nobody would care about that

favre held his team hostage for many offseasons, refused to mentor aaron rodgers, and now plays for the vikings so he can "get them" ::)

E

He drafted Kwame Brown no. 1 overall, repeatedly verbally abused him, traded away Rip Hamilton for Stackhouse (?), and ran his team into the ground. 

Or were you only talking about the Bulls?   :)  He abused his Bulls teammates too.  Slapped one of them in practice. 

But you're pretty much proving my point.  Because Jordan had a great career, most people don't care about the bad stuff he did.  That's exactly what I'm saying about Favre. 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2009, 06:33:55 PM »
He drafted Kwame Brown no. 1 overall, repeatedly verbally abused him, traded away Rip Hamilton for Stackhouse (?), and ran his team into the ground. 

Or were you only talking about the Bulls?   :)  He abused his Bulls teammates too.  Slapped one of them in practice. 

But you're pretty much proving my point.  Because Jordan had a great career, most people don't care about the bad stuff he did.  That's exactly what I'm saying about Favre. 

making bad decisions as a GM doesn't make him a bad guy, matt millen would be the worst person in the world if that were true

i wonder how farve would do building a team

jordan was the leader of his team and a fierce competitor, winning 6 titles cancels out any moment where he acted like a "jerk" to his teammates, there are fights at many practices in all sports

demanding his teammates to work as hard as him is not what i would call abusive, that's a leader that will get the most out of a player

i wonder what they said about jordan when he got them a ring

farve hasn't won a title since 96, he has been mediocre for most of the last 10 years

none of what you said makes jordan a bad guy, you're really reaching here

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2009, 06:39:41 PM »
making bad decisions as a GM doesn't make him a bad guy, matt millen would be the worst person in the world if that were true

i wonder how farve would do building a team

jordan was the leader of his team and a fierce competitor, winning 6 titles cancels out any moment where he acted like a "jerk" to his teammates, there are fights at many practices in all sports

demanding his teammates to work as hard as him is not what i would call abusive, that's a leader that will get the most out of a player

i wonder what they said about jordan when he got them a ring

farve hasn't won a title since 96, he has been mediocre for most of the last 10 years

none of what you said makes jordan a bad guy, you're really reaching here

E

I'll stop short of saying Jordan was a bad guy, but he did some pretty rotten stuff.  And again, I agree with you:  a great career cancels out bad conduct in the minds of sports fans.  That's what I've been saying all along.   

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2009, 06:48:57 PM »
I'll stop short of saying Jordan was a bad guy, but he did some pretty rotten stuff.  And again, I agree with you:  a great career cancels out bad conduct in the minds of sports fans.  That's what I've been saying all along.   

what bad conduct?  demanding the best from your teammates is what a leader is supposed to do

E
E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
what bad conduct?  demanding the best from your teammates is what a leader is supposed to do

E

Keeping in mind he is a role model for millions of kids:  repeatedly cheated on his wife, which was well known to the Chicago media (who never reported it), paid hush money to a mistress, wasted millions gambling, abused his teammates, and ran the Wizards franchise into the ground.  Not exactly the kind of example you want kids to follow. 

A good leader doesn't abuse his followers/subordinates.  It's completely unnecessary.  The ends don't always justify the means. 

But let's stop talking about Jordan.  What about Michael Irvin (who I mentioned earlier)? 

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2009, 08:04:39 PM »
Keeping in mind he is a role model for millions of kids:  repeatedly cheated on his wife, which was well known to the Chicago media (who never reported it), paid hush money to a mistress, wasted millions gambling, abused his teammates, and ran the Wizards franchise into the ground.  Not exactly the kind of example you want kids to follow. 

A good leader doesn't abuse his followers/subordinates.  It's completely unnecessary.  The ends don't always justify the means. 

But let's stop talking about Jordan.  What about Michael Irvin (who I mentioned earlier)? 

athletes aren't obligated to be role models to other peoples children, besides the kids know nothing about that stuff

none of this taints his legacy, he continued to win unlike favre and as long as you aren't breaking the rules that's all that matters

the wizards still suck today, not that what he did with them taints his greatness with the bulls

when he saw he no longer was what he used to be, he retired unlike favre and all men in alpha postitions have multiple sex partners

colin cowherd said today that he witnessed beautiful girls mouth to jordan while he was playing "take me home tonight", no man in that postition has sex with only one woman, to call him a bad guy for that is feminist bullshit

a great leader keeps the followers in line, with 6 titles i'd say whatever way he did worked and what proof is there that he abused?  calling somebody out when they are performing beneath their potential is what leaders do

i don't know much about michael irvin other than he was busted with cocaine

E

E

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »

none of this taints his legacy

Dude.  We agree.  Athletes who have great success in their careers are by and large remembered for their great success. 

Regarding role models, athletes are role models whether they like it or not.  They sell their autographs to kids.  They sell their jerseys to kids.  They want kids to follow them.  That kind of following comes with at least some responsibility to conduct themselves a certain way. 

I didn't call Jordan a bad guy.  I said he did some bad things.  I read about him abusing his teammates in some article.  I think someone actually put it in a book?  I just remember being very surprised, because Jordan's image in the media was pristine.  They never reported bad stuff about the guy.  Teflon Man. 

There is a difference between holding people accountable and physically or verbally abusing them, just because you can.  I've found that if you lead by example, demand excellence, and treat people with respect they will do whatever they can to perform.  (At least most of them.) 

Given your views on marital fidelity you probably won't think this is "bad," but Irvin had a wife and kids and had a little harem.  He actually put one or more women up in apartments where he would go have sex, use drugs, etc.  He was very arrogant about it.  I remember seeing a picture of him showing up for a court appearance wearing a full length fur coat, acting like a 1970s movie pimp.  All he needed was the platform shoes with the goldfish.   :)  He was just a lousy person. 

The fact you don't even know much about Irvin’s troubles just proves that bad conduct by great athletes does not destroy the athletes' legacy.  (This isn’t a criticism of you.)     

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2009, 02:04:27 PM »
i remember the fur coat, i also knew that his off field problems supposedly kept him out of the hall for a few years

E
E

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2009, 07:55:48 AM »
O.K.  Understand.  I still disagree.  I think you're correct to certain degree:  the more successful an athlete, the more leeway he has to be a bad boy.  But I don't think we even have to use Jordan as an example. 

Take Michael Irvin.  I'm not sure how old you are, but were you a fan of the game when he was playing?  That guy was a straight up thug off the field.  Where is he now?  (Hall of Fame)  He was on the networks and all over the radio after his repeated brushes with the law.  Today, his legacy is as a great WR, not the criminal he was. 

Regarding Jordan murdering someone, O.J. showed us that even us sports fans have limits.  :)
I still dont think you quite comprehend the amount of sucess that Jordan has had nobody and I mean nobody with the possible exception of tiger has had more sucess as jordan. To even compare farve to jordan is ludicris yes farve was one of the greatest qb's to play football, jordan was one of the greatest persons to play a sport period.

I somewhat remember irvin and yes ppl still remember that about him but the reason others dont is b/c he has a career after football.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
Favre will retire naxt week after he is sandwiched between Demarcus Ware, Spears and Ratliff!!!!   He should now not to mess with D anymore.     Expect Booty to wear No.4 next month.
((-::

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2009, 03:10:43 PM »
I still dont think you quite comprehend the amount of sucess that Jordan has had nobody and I mean nobody with the possible exception of tiger has had more sucess as jordan. To even compare farve to jordan is ludicris yes farve was one of the greatest qb's to play football, jordan was one of the greatest persons to play a sport period.

I somewhat remember irvin and yes ppl still remember that about him but the reason others dont is b/c he has a career after football.

Don't confuse disagreement with lack of understanding.  I know exactly how much success Jordan has and continues to have in sports and in marketing.  He was/is larger than life.  Stop getting hung up on comparing the careers of Jordan and Favre.  That's really not the issue.  The issue is whether an athlete's play allows him to make mistakes without tarnishing his legacy.  The bigger the star, the more mistakes he can make.   

The reason people don't remember or talk about Irvin being a criminal is because Irvin was a great player.  Sports fans don't care.  He came back and played after engaging in all sorts of bad conduct.   

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2009, 05:56:36 PM »
Demarcus will send him to AARP Commercials  this Friday.
((-::

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2009, 07:25:17 PM »
farves a bigger bitch then i thought hitting a guy below the knees, what a fuking dousche i wonder how bad that spoiled little brat would be whinning if somebody did that shit to his ass  ::)