Author Topic: Dogs kill  (Read 4519 times)

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
Dogs kill
« on: August 19, 2009, 05:03:10 PM »
LEXINGTON, Georgia (CNN) -- A pack of dogs brought down and killed an animal-loving couple last weekend in rural northeastern Georgia, and a similar tragedy could occur anywhere dogs roam freely, authorities say.

Two dogs from the pack that killed two people await euthanasia Tuesday at a shelter in northeast Georgia.

1 of 3  Sheriff's deputies, code enforcement officers and other officials spent most of Monday and Tuesday rounding up 11 adult dogs and five puppies, Oglethorpe County Sheriff's Capt. Shalon Huff said. One more was trapped Wednesday morning, leaving one still to be captured, she said.

"We're just lucky this hasn't happened before," said Susan Fornash, director of the Madison Oglethorpe Animal Shelter in Danielsville, where the captured dogs were held before being euthanized Tuesday under orders from a local judge.

"We've had people bring in a dog because it killed a goat or chased their horses or something like that. And to me, that was just the forerunner of something like this."

Investigators say they believe that University of Georgia librarian Sherry Schweder, 65, went for her usual morning walk Saturday down Howard Thaxton Road, the narrow dirt lane that runs alongside the couple's property.

The dogs were familiar in the area, investigators say, having been left behind when the person who had been caring for some of them moved out of a home at the end of the lane.

Authorities theorize that halfway down the lane, about a quarter-mile from her home, Sherry Schweder was confronted by the dogs, which knocked her down and killed her.

Her husband, retired UGA language professor Lothar Schweder, became concerned when she didn't return and went out in their Honda CRX to look for her. When he found her lying in the lane and got out to shoo away the dogs, they attacked and killed him too, investigators believe.

Although no blood was seen on the dogs, other evidence and autopsy results convince authorities that the pack killed the Schweders, said Jim Fullington, special agent in charge of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's office in nearby Athens.  Watch what investigators learned »

Black bears occasionally pass through the area, but none have been reported recently, said Sgt. Doyte Chaffin, a wildlife officer with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources. Investigators found no prints other than those of dogs and humans, Fullington added.

Humans can appear threatening to dogs that run in packs, said Bonnie Beaver, a professor in the department of small animal clinical sciences at Texas A&M University and an expert in pack behavior.

"From their perspective, a person is an alien, if you will," Beaver said. "It would be the same as we would relate to a grizzly bear."

Dogs kill an average of 10 to 20 people each year in the United States, Beaver said. The vast majority of those cases involve a single dog attacking a small child, she said.

As few as two or three dogs, whether urban, suburban or rural, can behave like a pack, Beaver said. And when pack mentality takes over, "they do insane things that they would not do" under normal circumstances, she said.

"My bet is there was one ringleader who kind of started it" in the Georgia case, Beaver said.

Something as simple as making eye contact may have made one dog in the group feel threatened, and its body language put the other dogs on edge, triggering an "escalation," she said.

Even though none of the dogs weighed more than about 40 pounds, their numbers would have overwhelmed the victims. Screaming, flailing or trying to run would only make things worse, Beaver said.

"To be slight people, as I'm told they both were, and the ages that they were, I don't know what they could have done. I don't know what I would do," Fornash said.

Jehovah's Witnesses walking up the lane to visit the lone house found the Schweders' mutilated bodies lying next to the car and called 911, Fullington said. He added that a sheriff's deputy had to fire a shot in the air to scare the dogs away.

The house the evangelists had intended to visit was unoccupied, but it was home to at least some of the dogs, Fullington said.

The owner, Howard Thaxton, had moved out some months earlier because of health and financial problems but had someone drive him every other day to leave food for the dogs, said GBI Special Agent Christopher Bish. Several empty 40-pound bags of Ol' Roy dog food were strewn about the property Tuesday.

Thaxton, an amputee who Bish said was recently released from a hospital, has been cooperating with authorities. Thaxton doesn't believe that those animals were capable of killing people, law enforcement officials said. He has not been charged.

"We are still in discussions with the district attorney about culpability and what have you, but no decisions have been reached yet," Bish said.

Bish said it took 14 visits to Thaxton's house to make initial contact with him. CNN's efforts to find Thaxton for comment were unsuccessful.

Stopping the dogs from reproducing might have prevented the tragedy, Fornash said. Just a few dogs can multiply rapidly into a menace, she added.  Watch how dog bites might be prevented »

"In the blink of an eye, we have a pack of 50 dogs because people don't spay and neuter," she said.

It took about 90 minutes to euthanize all 16 dogs, several of which were maggot-infested, Fornash said. No one asked that they be checked for rabies, and the sheriff directed that the carcasses be cremated immediately, she said.

"I'm heartbroken for the family," Fornash said. "I can't even imagine how they must feel. And I'm also very sad for those animals, because if they had been cared for the way they should have been, this wouldn't have happened. It's not their fault."

The Schweders' seven dogs and four of their cats were to be brought to the shelter Wednesday and eventually adopted out, she said.

Thaxton's wood frame house that served as the dogs' home sits at the edge of a forest dotted with hunting campers and abandoned 1950s vehicles. Empty 5-gallon water bottles fill a ravine behind the house, and a derelict 1980s Chevy Caprice crouches next to a rusting John Deere tractor under a shade tree.

After all the sheriff's deputies and trappers had left Tuesday afternoon, a scruffy red dog appeared, ears up, next to the tractor. The animal, alone, scampered off into the woods.

DAWG

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
Re: Dogs kill
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 05:30:49 PM »
lol are you posting this to defend michael vick?

the dogs should be euthanized

E
E

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 05:42:54 PM »
well, considering the dogs were just  "left behind" by the owner, its not hard to imagine that  [the dogs] were never well cared for.  dogs are entirely predictable animals, and the people speaking on this case sound like idiots.  this was a predictable situation (for a dog attack). and entirely preventable had they been picked up earlier, once they were "left behind." it sounds like local animal control authorities had been lagging on their jobs.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 06:31:45 PM »
As few as two or three dogs, whether urban, suburban or rural, can behave like a pack, Beaver said. And when pack mentality takes over, "they do insane things that they would not do" under normal circumstances, she said.

Oh my god, as a human I just can't understand this kind of behavior.  ::)

Signifying Monkey

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
well, considering the dogs were just  "left behind" by the owner, its not hard to imagine that  [the dogs] were never well cared for.  dogs are entirely predictable animals, and the people speaking on this case sound like idiots.  this was a predictable situation (for a dog attack). and entirely preventable had they been picked up earlier, once they were "left behind." it sounds like local animal control authorities had been lagging on their jobs.

blah, blah, blah... this is just nature taking its course.  Dogs are pack animals who eat meat they obtain by hunting

they were just culling the weak from the herd, don't know why everybody on getbig is getting their panties in a twist

i thought we were all social darwinists on getbig

where are you, Matzi and co.?

TRIX

• Getbig IV
  • If you mess with me I'll have to fuck you up
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:15:41 PM »
Hate my area. So many dogs, with shit fences, dogs roaming the streets at night. You gotta watch where you walk

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 07:17:00 PM »
Another tragedy which could have been prevented if these two good people had been armed.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 07:22:36 PM »
Another tragedy which could have been prevented if these two good people had been armed.
Another tragedy which could have been prevented if they made sure to carry dog biscuits.
 8)

The Wizard of Truth

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Fallen Angel
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 03:54:47 AM »
Never,ever milk a dog

lax

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 04:51:27 AM »
vick='second chancer'

dogs=no second chance

Petrucci

• Getbig IV
  • Team Kratos!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 05:08:57 AM »
video or didnt happen
!

spinnis

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 06:18:37 AM »
Never,ever milk a dog

LOL!!!! 

'Uh huh sure, you can milk anything with nipples.'

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:23:45 AM »
Damn dogs should have gotten the Jehova's witlesses and prevented them from knocking on doors.

The other dogs can probably be rehabilitated.

The owners were irresponsible, hopefully there's a way to punish them.

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 06:58:03 AM »
I see dogs every day I walk to the store. I have also ran and chased some dogs that have scared or pissed me off, I followed it running into a yard and it started whimpering like a small puppy dog. Another dog I shouted extremely loud to and it sort of crawled back to it's porch. Sometimes I feel sorry for these mistreated little creatures, but only for a minute or two. Meager or small dogs I don't give shit about. They are humorous. But when these big dogs run up to you to touch you to see what you will do makes me mad. I haven't gone crazy yet, except running after or shouting. I'm a good teacher, and they learn yes.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 07:03:50 AM »
I was attacked last Friday by two Pit Bull terriers and have just got out of hospital yesterday after a six day stay, they  severed my achilles heel and left deep gouges in my left calf and left forearm all requiring immediate surgery, It may be two to three months before I can walk unassisted.  This attack has led me to quickly develop a deep hatred for dogs, it was the most painful thing I have ever felt and the worst experience of my life. 
V

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 07:05:35 AM »
See Vick did it b/c he feared for his life. Go Eagles!

body88

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 07:14:53 AM »
Dogs kill 20 people per year

Lightning kills 58 people per year

Dumb thread  ::)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 07:16:37 AM »

bee stings kill hundreds of people every year...BTW, I just made up that statistic...LMAO

Rami

• Getbig V
  • One Hundred Percent
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 07:21:16 AM »

that's another thing, I try to walk fast when there is lightening. And this year it has been an un-usual amount of lightning. But lightning you cant do anything about except throw yourself into a ditch when your hair stands up just before getting hit. But dogs you can successfully employ lots of different tactics against.

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 07:27:15 AM »

In 2007, there were 33 fatal dog maulings in the USA.  The most recent official survey, conducted more than a decade ago, determined there were 4.7 million dog bite victims annually in the USA. A more recent study showed that 1,000 Americans per day are treated in emergency rooms as a result of dog bites. In 2007 there were 33 fatal dog attacks in the USA. Most of the victims who receive medical attention are children, half of whom are bitten in the face. Dog bite losses exceed $1 billion per year, with over $300 million paid by homeowners insurance.

You can't prevent lightning, but you can prevent dog ownership and attacks.  Dogs do more than kill, they severely injure as well, I would rather take my chances with lightning than a pit bull.

RE: http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html
V

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »
I was attacked last Friday by two Pit Bull terriers and have just got out of hospital yesterday after a six day stay, they  severed my achilles heel and left deep gouges in my left calf and left forearm all requiring immediate surgery, It may be two to three months before I can walk unassisted.  This attack has led me to quickly develop a deep hatred for dogs, it was the most painful thing I have ever felt and the worst experience of my life. 

ya mess with a pit, ya get the teeth

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 07:32:03 AM »
'Uh huh sure, you can milk anything with nipples.'

Hi MuscleMcMannus

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 07:33:44 AM »
yea I heard a pro skateboarder died from a spider bite last week and 37 people per year die from spiders.so this thread is dumb ::)

It's your fault you were attacked.It's not the dogs fault it never is...

by the way that is sarcasm.I wish you a fast recovery and wish the dogs death.
DAWG

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 07:46:12 AM »
yea I heard a pro skateboarder died from a spider bite last week and 37 people per year die from spiders.so this thread is dumb ::)

It's your fault you were attacked.It's not the dogs fault it never is...

by the way that is sarcasm.I wish you a fast recovery and wish the dogs death.
Well, I was simply doing my job, I turned up to a property to do a lawn mowing quote and soon after exiting my car was set upon by two viscious pit bulls, I have reportied it to the authorities who have seized the dogs and informed me that the dogs were already declared dangerous as they had a few months before killed two alpacas on an adjacent property.
Anyway, Your a Fu#KWIT who's entry into this world was due to a gang rape of your mother! by the way that is sarcasm
V