Author Topic: Tom Ridge: Terror Threat level's use was political  (Read 2916 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Tom Ridge: Terror Threat level's use was political
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:07:24 AM »
Then there's this....

The most sensational assertion was the pre-election debate in 2004 about the threat level, first reported by U.S. News & World Report. Mr. Ridge writes that the bin Laden tape alone did not justify a change in the nation’s security posture but describes “a vigorous, some might say dramatic, discussion” on Oct. 30 to do so.
“There was absolutely no support for that position within our department. None,” he writes. “I wondered, ‘Is this about security or politics?’ Post-election analysis demonstrated a significant increase in the president’s approval rating in the days after the raising of the threat level.”

Mr. Ridge provides no evidence that politics motivated the discussion. Until now, he has denied politics played a role in threat levels. Asked by Eric Lichtblau of The New York Times if politics ever influenced decisions on threat warnings, he volunteered to take a lie-detector test. “Wire me up,” Mr. Ridge said, according to Mr. Lichtblau’s book, “Bush’s Law.” “Not a chance. Politics played no part.”

Is this it?  He wondered whether politics played a role in threat levels?  Not exactly a smoking gun. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 07:37:05 AM »
Is this it?  He wondered whether politics played a role in threat levels?  Not exactly a smoking gun. 

This isn't what was advertised.

Ridge has no proof, he is making an assertion. It sells book, Olbermann eats it up, the idiots that watch MSNBC go on GetBig and think it is the revaluation of the century. It is Ridges assertion, no facts.

Not saying that it may not be true, but the way it is being hyped and portrayed bear little to the actual facts so far.

Tom Ridge hyping a book and asserting that it may have been political is a leap from "BUSH USED TERROR TO GET APPROVAL RATINGS HERE IS THE PROOF"

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 07:44:24 AM »
This isn't what was advertised.

Ridge has no proof, he is making an assertion. It sells book, Olbermann eats it up, the idiots that watch MSNBC go on GetBig and think it is the revaluation of the century. It is Ridges assertion, no facts.

Not saying that it may not be true, but the way it is being hyped and portrayed bear little to the actual facts so far.

Tom Ridge hyping a book and asserting that it may have been political is a leap from "BUSH USED TERROR TO GET APPROVAL RATINGS HERE IS THE PROOF"

Tom Ridge is totally gonna punch you right in the face when he sees you, Gigantor. You're gonna be sorry.
G

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2009, 07:48:02 AM »
you guys always go to the book sales excuse lol.  but you're sure racking up the unloyal ingrates :D  sooner or later you're going to have to say well shit...maybe bush was.....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
Ridge has no proof, he is making an assertion.

LOL!

He's the man who made the original statement on the terror threat level.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2009, 09:07:03 AM »
you guys always go to the book sales excuse lol.  but you're sure racking up the unloyal ingrates :D  sooner or later you're going to have to say well shit...maybe bush was.....

Read my post. I said it may even be true, but from the quote or quotes this thread was based upon, it is an assertion from Ridge.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »
Read my post. I said it may even be true, but from the quote or quotes this thread was based upon, it is an assertion from Ridge.
I'm sure it was worded intentially not knowing for sure of possible criminal ramifications.  Who wants to write a book that is self incriminating.  Also, he bailed not long after this happened so he probably felt he couldn't be a part of that anymore..  I know everybody refused to watch Olbermann, but you should check out the Nexus of Terror segment he did.  quite a few compelling connections to political benefits within days of many of those.  Especially on some of them when it's revealed that the timing of the release to the public was planned.  What I'm saying is that what Ridge is suggesting matches a long pattern. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:00 AM »
I'm sure it was worded intentially not knowing for sure of possible criminal ramifications.  Who wants to write a book that is self incriminating.  Also, he bailed not long after this happened so he probably felt he couldn't be a part of that anymore..  I know everybody refused to watch Olbermann, but you should check out the Nexus of Terror segment he did.  quite a few compelling connections to political benefits within days of many of those.  Especially on some of them when it's revealed that the timing of the release to the public was planned.  What I'm saying is that what Ridge is suggesting matches a long pattern. 

Agreed.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2009, 10:36:40 AM »
You have a shitload of coincidences that a lot of people believed were done to benefit politically.

Now you have the guy who made these statements, ADMITTING it.

And now we're hearing "well, he can't PROVE his confession!"

hahaha pathetic.  Just admit the Bush white house exaggerated the terror threat - cause the head of homeland security has.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:50 AM »
Yeah...well Ridge said one thing and then contridicted it both in the book and in statements made after the 2004 election when somebody brought this up. Ridge said he "felt". Olberman and the lefties said it was a "fact" and ran with it. This always happens with any book like this. The publisher drums up crap to get folks to want to read it. Clinton did the same thing. launching Tomahawks at Bin Laden but nobody cared because Microsoft stock was selling through the roof. Bush and company said they made it a point not to tie politics with the threat level. Ridge  won't really be able to prove this unless he wants to violate National Security.....things guys like Olberdouche could care less about.

240 thats not what Ridge said...he said that when ever the threat level was raised, Bush's popularity numbers went up....and he wondered if politics was invloved. "He wondered"...try and get a murder conviction on "wonder". Rideg did not say " I was told to raise the threat level by GWB"....Olberman said that. Why don't u just admit Barry is a failure and a fraud.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:34 AM »
There is a link to the 3.5 minute video with Frances Townsend discussing this (she chaired the meeting at issue).  She says, among other things, that the only discussion that remotely related to politics was how raising the threat level might hurt Bush.  Total non story.  Definitely sounds like someone trying to increase book sales.

Ridge accused of trying to profit from terror alert accusations
updated 1:13 p.m. EDT, Fri August 21, 2009

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A former Bush administration official said she thinks former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge's recent charges that politics were behind raising the terror level in 2004 were "personally motivated."

In a new book, Ridge says top Bush administration officials may have tried to raise the nation's terror alert for political reasons in the days before the 2004 presidential vote.

In response, Frances Townsend, a former Homeland Security adviser to President George W. Bush and now a CNN contributor, told CNN's "American Morning" that she believes Ridge is trying to profit by separating himself politically from Bush's record.

"You have to wonder if this is not just publicity meant to sell more books," Townsend said.

Townsend vociferously denied politics played any role in a request from Attorney General John Ashcroft and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld to raise the security threat level to "orange" in the final days before the 2004 election.

In his book "The Test of Our Times," Ridge writes that he saw no reason for the move, which was advocated after a threatening message was released, because additional security precautions had already been taken in advance of the election.  Watch more on Ridge's claims »

A threatening message, Ridge argues, "should not be the sole reason to elevate the threat level."

"We certainly didn't believe the tape alone warranted action, and we weren't seeing any additional intelligence that justified it. In fact, we were incredulous," he said. "I wondered, 'Is this about security or politics?'"

The idea that an attack might take place had been discussed, he says. "But at this point there was nothing to indicate a specific threat and no reason to cause undue public alarm. It also seemed possible to me and to others around the table that something could be afoot other than simple concern about the country's safety."

In the end, the threat level was not raised.

Townsend said Friday that "the discussion revolved around what the intelligence was. There was no discussion of politics whatsoever.  Watch more of Townsend's criticism »

"The only discussion I (recall) was on the margins of that, there was concern if the Republicans supported raising the threat level it might be ... to the detriment of President Bush because people might see it as being political."

According to 2004 exit polls, one in five voters said terrorism was the most important issue to them. Of those, 86 percent voted for Bush, 14 percent for Democratic candidate John Kerry.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/21/ridge.townsend/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 05:05:01 PM »
There is a link to the 3.5 minute video with Frances Townsend discussing this (she chaired the meeting at issue).  She says, among other things, that the only discussion that remotely related to politics was how raising the threat level might hurt Bush.  Total non story.  Definitely sounds like someone trying to increase book sales.

Ridge accused of trying to profit from terror alert accusations
updated 1:13 p.m. EDT, Fri August 21, 2009

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A former Bush administration official said she thinks former Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge's recent charges that politics were behind raising the terror level in 2004 were "personally motivated."

In a new book, Ridge says top Bush administration officials may have tried to raise the nation's terror alert for political reasons in the days before the 2004 presidential vote.

In response, Frances Townsend, a former Homeland Security adviser to President George W. Bush and now a CNN contributor, told CNN's "American Morning" that she believes Ridge is trying to profit by separating himself politically from Bush's record.

"You have to wonder if this is not just publicity meant to sell more books," Townsend said.

Townsend vociferously denied politics played any role in a request from Attorney General John Ashcroft and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld to raise the security threat level to "orange" in the final days before the 2004 election.

In his book "The Test of Our Times," Ridge writes that he saw no reason for the move, which was advocated after a threatening message was released, because additional security precautions had already been taken in advance of the election.  Watch more on Ridge's claims »

A threatening message, Ridge argues, "should not be the sole reason to elevate the threat level."

"We certainly didn't believe the tape alone warranted action, and we weren't seeing any additional intelligence that justified it. In fact, we were incredulous," he said. "I wondered, 'Is this about security or politics?'"

The idea that an attack might take place had been discussed, he says. "But at this point there was nothing to indicate a specific threat and no reason to cause undue public alarm. It also seemed possible to me and to others around the table that something could be afoot other than simple concern about the country's safety."

In the end, the threat level was not raised.

Townsend said Friday that "the discussion revolved around what the intelligence was. There was no discussion of politics whatsoever.  Watch more of Townsend's criticism »

"The only discussion I (recall) was on the margins of that, there was concern if the Republicans supported raising the threat level it might be ... to the detriment of President Bush because people might see it as being political."

According to 2004 exit polls, one in five voters said terrorism was the most important issue to them. Of those, 86 percent voted for Bush, 14 percent for Democratic candidate John Kerry.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/08/21/ridge.townsend/index.html
Oh well then I guess we'll just take her word for it ::)  I know just because some guy's wife dies 1 week after buying her a million dollar life insurance policy doesn't mean he killed his wife.  But when he does it 18 times in a row, well there might be a problem with the coincidence theory :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2009, 08:16:11 PM »
Oh well then I guess we'll just take her word for it ::)  I know just because some guy's wife dies 1 week after buying her a million dollar life insurance policy doesn't mean he killed his wife.  But when he does it 18 times in a row, well there might be a problem with the coincidence theory :D

Yes, I take her word for it.  She has a tad bit more credibility than the guy trying to make some money selling books. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 08:29:06 PM »
Yes, I take her word for it.  She has a tad bit more credibility than the guy trying to make some money selling books. 
translation: I'm a loyal necon, screw Tom.

Just because one sells a book for profit doesn't mean it's a lie.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 08:35:27 PM »
translation: I'm a loyal necon, screw Tom.

Just because one sells a book for profit doesn't mean it's a lie.

::)

The timing and non specific content of his allegation (if you can call it that) reeks of embellishing a story for profit.  I'm always cynical of people who allegedly witnessed wrongdoing and don't say a word about it till they're trying to profit from their story. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »
The timing and non specific content of his allegation (if you can call it that) reeks of embellishing a story for profit.  I'm always cynical of people who allegedly witnessed wrongdoing and don't say a word about it till they're trying to profit from their story. 

Ridge profited from announcing the terror alerts too, remember?

He did it for a job then, when it made him look very good.

Now, he's doing it for income, and it's making him look like quite the chump.

You can't discouint his words now if you bought them then.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2009, 08:47:54 PM »
Ridge profited from announcing the terror alerts too, remember?

He did it for a job then, when it made him look very good.

Now, he's doing it for income, and it's making him look like quite the chump.

You can't discouint his words now if you bought them then.

I can do whatever the heck I want.  :)  He hasn't said much of anything, except queried whether the discussion about raising terror threat levels might be political.  And the result of the meeting was they didn't do it.  Big friggin deal. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: August 22, 2009, 09:16:55 PM »
bb, could you put "Team Neocon" in your personal text.  thanks buddy :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 22, 2009, 09:18:48 PM »
bb, could you put "Team Neocon" in your personal text.  thanks buddy :)

::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »

garebear

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Never question my instincts.
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2009, 01:51:46 AM »
Thread reported to Tom Ridge. Expect some punches in the face to follow.
G