Author Topic: Shane Carwin Q&A Interview  (Read 1128 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Shane Carwin Q&A Interview
« on: August 21, 2009, 10:33:41 PM »

1.) What do you consider your biggest non-mma accomplishment?

S.C.- I hope being a good father, husband and friend.

2.) What do you think the key to beating Brock is?

S.C.- I really have not given it a lot of thought. I do not think he will be able to hold me down as he has others.

3.) Where do you think Frank Mir went wrong against Lesnar?

S.C.- I think Brock was too strong and big for Frank. Mir was looking for his openings but Brock made few if any mistakes and he grinded Frank out. Frank is a smart fighter with World Class skills that just wasn't his fight.

4.) How does Brock Lesnar's style compare to Cain Velasquez's and how will it affect your preparation?

S.C.- SC They both have a wrestling base that is on an elite level and they are both powerful. Cain will have a bright future. The crop of fighters from TUF 10 will elevate the division. Guys like Brendan Schaub who have helped me get to where I am are coming up and they are talented and very hungry.

5.) You and Lesnar are both accomplished wrestlers, do you think that you will nullify each other and this will be a stand up war?

S.C.- I would love a stand up fight. Ever since UFC 100 I have had dreams of fighting Brock. Not because he has the belt but because I feel like he disrespects the sport and that affects us fighters who have to grind our way to the top. I really do not care where the fight goes because I will be ready. My Coaches and training partners are amzing and I am confident they will build the right game plan. It is my job to execute that game plan.

6.) Will you take off time from your engineering job to train full time for the title fight?

S.C.- Let me clear up that misconception right now. It is impossible to make it to the UFC without training "full time". I have been a full time fighter since I made the commitment to fight. I don't work at Steve's Steel Mart where I have to punch a clock for every time I step away from my work station. Even if I did most gyms are open early and they stay open late so working a 8 hour day and getting the hours of training in is possible. I am always training I don't take a break from fighting and catch up on my work I just do both. I get up early and usually do cardio. I then go to work and at work I may hit the weights or grapple. The after work is easy, most gyms accomidate the working class and have advance classes that start in the late afternoon. I will do a BJJ class etc and then off to Grudge Training Center for sparring.

7.) Who are you currently working with regarding jiu jitsu? Ooops, looks like he actually skipped this one lol.

8.) What is your current cardio training like and how will you expand it as this is a heavyweight championship 5 round fight?

S.C.- I am ready for five rounds today, our trainers prepare us for title shots even when we are n the prelims.

9.) Have you ever applied engineering to fighting? Or better yet, vice versa?

S.C.- Sure in Engineering you learn to listen to your boss and follow instructions. Fighting is the same, the trainer is the boss.

10.) What is your first memory of mma?

S.C.- The original UFC's

11.)Do you do it for the love or for the extra income?

S.C.- I love MMA. I love the mental toughness combined with the physical test.

12.)Who are some of your favorite fighters to watch, in any weight class?

S.C.- Too many fighters to list!

13.)Being a family man and with a child on the way, do you consider the UFC a blessing as far as providing for your family? By the way congratulations on the baby!

S.C.- No I think my blessing is having an amazing son, a wife who loves him and the new baby on the way. It is not about money or fame with them they love me for me.

14.)What's harder, fatherhood or MMA?

S.C.- Fatherhood, I did not have a father guiding my brothers and I so I think I work harder at being a good Dad. I want my kids to understand the value of hard work. The sacrifice that goes into making this a great country and making sure that we somehow contribute.

15.)After you KO Brock, is there any Heavy Weight you would REALLY like to face? Perhaps the winner of Nog/Couture?

S.C.- I like to take things one fight at a time. I have a lot respect for the fighters in the division and a lot of them would make for an exciting match up. I'll leave that to the UFC and my manager.

16.)How did you become an engineer?

S.C.- I went to college and got my degrees

17.) How supportive are your employer and management of your fighting activities?

S.C.- Very supportive, I have to do my job and as long as I do they are happy. My boss has been a huge supporter.

18.) What is your honest opinion of Fedor and the P4P title?

S.C.- P4P best has to be either GSP or Anderson. Fedor is a great fighter and a legend. I think that his legacy will have a question mark because he was too selective in who he fought. I think to be the P4P best you have to be a Warrior, and that means testing yourself at every turn and fighting like a Warrior every time.

19.)What were you like as a kid?

S.C.- Happy

20.)What compelled you to become an MMA fighter and how did you start out?

S.C- I started out helping Ron Waterman prepare for MMA fights.

21.)What are some weaknesses in Brock's game that you think you'll be able to capitalize on?

Don't wanna spoil his game plan

22.)What advice would you give younger fighters trying to break into professional MMA?

S.C.- Take your time, get experience and make sure you have your education in order. You need to be intelligent in and out of the octagon.

23.)Who do you think the best HW in mma is right now?

S.C.- Brock, but I am a huge fan of Gabe Gonzaga and I think he will be great.

24.)Do you feel you have a mental advantage using your mind for problem solving as an engineer, that will allow you to alter your game plan during the fight?

S.C.- *he skipped this one too

25.)What is your current weight, how much do you cut for a fight?

S.C.- 289

26.)Could you tell us something not many people know about you?

S.C.- Yes I could....

27.)Can you give a shout out to your fans at mmalinker.com after your next fight?

Shane Carwin: I doubt I will remember but I will give them one right now. MMA fans are the greatest fans in the sporting world. Thank you
Predictions
 40/61

gracie bjj

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Shane Carwin Q&A Interview
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 05:25:33 AM »
im a huge fan after reading that, the guy is so down to earth and he didnt disrespect no one and showed humbleness and class yet still sounding confidence, awesome. straight up, ive always thought he had a bright future in mma and i was a fan but that interview blew me away. maybe because of the way he talked about how he loves his kid and wife and how they are a blessing and everything to him, im a dad also, i have a 3 year old son and i was able to relate to everything he said about that. anyman that doesnt put family first aint a man at all imo, im prayin shane beats brock down because i always root for the underdog, the guy that had a hard childhood and upbringing and overcame all the obstacles life threw at him with hard work and sacrifice. shane is the man, he just gained a fan for life.

thanks for that interview chutebox, it was a awesome interview
R

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 08:18:02 AM »
No probs,  Shane does seem pretty down to earth, i was suprised that he's walking around at 289 right now. 
Predictions
 40/61

coltrane

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 12:03:58 PM »
yeah.  It's great cause brock always has the confidence going in with the weight and strength differences with his opponents thus far.  With Carwin he won't have that..