Author Topic: lighting for photos??  (Read 1677 times)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
lighting for photos??
« on: August 23, 2009, 01:12:06 AM »
What lighting setup do pro photographers used to make muscles pop?  ???
A

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: lighting for photos??
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 01:28:59 AM »
First they put two lights at 45 degree angles to each other, left and right, the "key" and "fill" lights.  The fill light is less bright than the key light, from around half to one third as bright, so the shadows, while not as deep as with one light, are still there.  Then you aim a light from over head and somewhat behind to the subject to put a "highlight" on the edges of the muscles.  (portrait photographers do the same to put a highlight on people's hair)

If you want sharp shadows, you use light that are "point sources", that is lights that come from relatively small areas.  It you want soft shadows, you use a reflector, like an "umbrella" made with the same semi metallic cloth as movie screens. 
Soft shadows are more flattering to people's faces who have lots of wrinkles and blemishes, and it makes muscles look rounder. (The so called "baseball" or "cannon ball" biceps.)

Point sources make things look more "defined" and sharper.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 01:32:12 AM »
First they put two lights at 45 degree angles to each other, left and right, the "key" and "fill" lights.  The fill light is less bright than the key light, from around half to one third as bright, so the shadows, while not as deep as with one light, are still there.  Then you aim a light from over head and somewhat behind to the subject to put a "highlight" on the edges of the muscles.  (portrait photographers do the same to put a highlight on people's hair)

If you want sharp shadows, you use light that are "point sources", that is lights that come from relatively small areas.  It you want soft shadows, you use a reflector, like an "umbrella" made with the same semi metallic cloth as movie screens. 
Soft shadows are more flattering to people's faces who have lots of wrinkles and blemishes, and it makes muscles look rounder. (The so called "baseball" or "cannon ball biceps.")

Wow.  Good answer.  You have experience on one side of the camera or the other?

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
Broadcasting, mostly in radio, but I can produce audio visual materials as well.  (film, video, still photos)

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 01:39:07 AM »

Soft shadows are more flattering to people's faces who have lots of wrinkles and blemishes, and it makes muscles look rounder. (The so called "baseball" or "cannon ball biceps.")

thanks
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 01:40:03 AM »
Broadcasting, mostly in radio, but I can produce audio visual materials as well.  (film, video, still photos)

Yes, I too have a face for radio.  ;)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 01:43:09 AM »
My face (and personality)was made for darkened control rooms.

bodybuilder1234

• Getbig IV
  • Manny Pacquiao KO Floyd 1
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 07:13:36 AM »
dont worry to much about the watts and angles, most kitchen lights will suffice.....just ask King Kamali

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:30:37 AM »
Kamali looks fantastic in this month's Musclemag...

NOT  :P

He is very uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... "offseason?"

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
Yes sometimes they use the lighting to help make the BB look better as in this case. Sometimes "less is better"
No Worries 4 me

spinnis

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:56:21 AM »

Soft shadows are more flattering to people's faces who have lots of wrinkles and blemishes, and it makes muscles look rounder. (The so called "baseball" or "cannon ball" biceps.)

One of the most serious answers in GB history lol!

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »
Yes sometimes they use the lighting to help make the BB look better as in this case. Sometimes "less is better"
In this case the bad lighting saved vince from intense meltdown ;)

MethodGNA

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Been Real_Been Nice...But it Hasn't Been Real Nice
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »

haha.........that was a good one......and true

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:19:04 AM »

One of the most serious answers in GB history lol!

Haha I was thinking the same thing.. this guy is way too helpful.. He must be put in timeout.

saucetradomous

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »
I would have suggested proceeding to the kitchen.. turning off all the lights and shutting the blinds especially if the sun is still up.  Opening the fridge door at least 90 degrees and placing yourself perpendicular to the fridge. 

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 01:54:19 PM »
Haha I was thinking the same thing.. this guy is way too helpful.. He must be put in timeout.
leave sync pulse alone  >:(
A

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:35 PM »
Go downtown and wait till around 2pm or so.  The natural light off the high rise buildings make the best light.
No Worries 4 me

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 09:31:08 PM »
Go downtown and wait till around 2pm or so.  The natural light off the high rise buildings make the best light.
ahhh... i didn't think i'm going to be flexing with my shirt off downtown any time soon. ;)
A