Author Topic: Glenn Beck hits 3 million, 5 1/2 times the audience of MSNBC  (Read 2274 times)

James

Glenn Beck hits 3 million, 5 1/2 times the audience of MSNBC
« on: August 27, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
Beck hits 3 million,  5 1/2 times the audience of MSNBC !!!!   :o

Keep it up Liberals !!!!

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: Glenn Beck hits 3 million, 5 1/2 times the audience of MSNBC
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »
Beck hits 3 million,  5 1/2 times the audience of MSNBC !!!!   :o

Keep it up Liberals !!!!

people gather around to see an train wreck or an auto accident too

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:15 PM »
Ratings speak nothing of content.  Some of the best shows are Science and History related and don`t draw large ratings whatsoever.

American Idol and reality TV are good examples of low brow, high rating nonsense that speak nothing toward content.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:12:42 PM »
Ratings speak nothing of content.  Some of the best shows are Science and History related and don`t draw large ratings whatsoever.

American Idol and reality TV are good examples of low brow, high rating nonsense that speak nothing toward content.

Not true.  Ratings tell quite a bit when similar shows are competing during the same time slots. 

And American Idol ratings have nothing to do with political show ratings.  Apples and oranges. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
Not true.  Ratings tell quite a bit when similar shows are competing during the same time slots. 

And American Idol ratings have nothing to do with political show ratings.  Apples and oranges. 
Ratings speak nothing of content.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 04:18:46 PM »

Wrong.  A political show devoid of true content will get poor ratings.  Like pretty much everything on MSNBC.  It's the content of a show that helps drive ratings.

Ratings help tell us what kind of content people like.   

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 04:19:30 PM »

well said

I was reading the thread title and thought the same.

WTF do ratings matter when all he says is shit??

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
Wrong.  A political show devoid of true content will get poor ratings.  Like pretty much everything on MSNBC.  It's the content of a show that helps drive ratings.

Ratings help tell us what kind of content people like.   

I guess Book TV is devoid of any content since the ratings are abysmal.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 04:23:39 PM »
I guess Book TV is devoid of any content since the ratings are abysmal.  ::)

No, it means people typically watch TV for entertainment.  Even the name "Book TV" makes me want to yawn and I'm a bookworm. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 04:24:36 PM »
No, it means people typically watch TV for entertainment.  Even the name "Book TV" makes me want to yawn and I'm a bookworm. 
So your earlier assertion that poor ratings=devoid of content makes no sense?

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 04:27:05 PM »
Oh yeah?  What do you read?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 04:29:39 PM »
He said books...not wiki.

Though a little scandal might alienate advertisers, it’s pure ratings gold. Last night Glenn Beck had over 3 million viewers at 5pm, second only to O’Reilly for the night.  But, Beck had more 25-54 viewers than O’Reilly (888K to 876K).  I don’t watch or really even care about the cable news wars, but still…wow. Even though Beck airs before primetime,  when there are fewer people watching TV, he had the most 25-54 viewers in the cable
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:28 PM »
So your earlier assertion that poor ratings=devoid of content makes no sense?

No, your comments in this thread make no sense. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
Oh yeah?  What do you read?

Lots.   :)  I typically alternative between fiction and nonfiction with each book.  Currently reading "There Is No A God:  How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind,"   by Anthony Flew.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:35:29 PM »

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »
No, your comments in this thread make no sense. 
You said earlier that poor ratings=devoid of content.

Then I brought up Book TV which is filled with great intellectual content but abysmal ratings.

You then said, people watch television because of entertainment, typically, as you put it.

So again, do you still think that the higher the ratings of a program, the more intellectual or meaningful the content must be?

If not, why?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »
.......Olberdouche crying !"

there is a solution, it is perhaps an indirect boycott. It is probably your experience, as it has been mine, that stores, bars, restaurants, waiting rooms often show Fox News on their televisions. Don't write a letter, don't make a threat, just get up and explain, if they will not change the channel, leave the place and say calmly why it is you are taking your business elsewhere.... Fox News Channel will never restrain itself from incitement to murder and terrorism, not until its profits begin to decline, when its growth stops. So not so much a boycott here as a quarantine, because this has got to stop.

I think Keith outa stick to worring about his own crappy show.

We know whatever GE/FOX “deal” there was is now dust. But last night the attacks reached heights not seen since before the summer. On Countdown with Keith Olbermann, the MSNBC host went after Bill O’Reilly personally.

And it was based on some faulty ratings – which Glenn Beck pounced on during his radio show today.
Olbermann named O’Reilly the “Best Person in the World” last night (and changed the picture), but it was more of the same – a knock at the FNC host. Began Olbermann (via J$):

In his nightly round of self-applause last night, designed to drown out the echo of daddy hitting him…

This insult takes the feud to another level – or rather, the level it was at before June when several reports say a truce of some kind was first reached.

The attack came over O’Reilly’s insult toward MSNBC’s ratings, and Olbermann answered with some new ratings info of his own. “Ours is the highest rated cable news program viewers 35 and younger and the highest rated cable news program for all viewers not on Fixed News,” he said.

Well besides the fact that “35 and younger” isn’t exactly a usual demographic, according to Nielsen, this doesn’t appear to be accurate. The lowest age level would be the 18-34 demo, which O’Reilly still beat Olbermann in during July (140,000 to 124,000). The FNC host is winning by that same percentage in August so far.

On Beck’s radio show today, he went after Olbermann. Olbermann continued last night describing the FNC audience as “tinfoil hatters, conspiracy theorists, paranoids and racists,” and Beck had a response:

I don’t know how many lines you need to cross before you get to State‑Controlled Media. Does Barack Obama need to sign the check for Keith Olbermann before we can look at MSNBC and NBC News as State‑Controlled Media?

O’Reilly won’t fire back at Olbermann – he considers that swinging down. But expect another GE takedown soon, and for the cycle to continue. With Beck involved, the ante is upped that much further.

L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2009, 04:43:06 PM »
Lots.   :)  I typically alternative between fiction and nonfiction with each book.  Currently reading "There Is No A God:  How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind,"   by Anthony Flew.
What a waste of time.  Throw that book in the trash.  I bet I can sum up the book in 3 words.

God did it.  ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
You said earlier that poor ratings=devoid of content.

Then I brought up Book TV which is filled with great intellectual content but abysmal ratings.

You then said, people watch television because of entertainment, typically, as you put it.

So again, do you still think that the higher the ratings of a program, the more intellectual or meaningful the content must be?

If not, why?

You're confused.  I said two things:  (1) people primarily watch TV for entertainment, so naturally shows like American Idol will have better ratings than a political show; and (2) "it's the content of a show that helps drive ratings."  Those statements are not inconsistent.  Shows like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, etc. will always have more viewers than Larry King, Bill O'Reilly, etc.  

When you're comparing similar shows, content determines which shows people will watch.  And "content" doesn't always = "intellectual or meaningful" stuff.  It includes the ability to sing, dance, act, make a fool of yourself, etc.  

In any event, your attempt to link American Idol with political shows makes no sense.    

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
What a waste of time.  Throw that book in the trash.  I bet I can sum up the book in 3 words.

God did it.  ::)

lol.  Buzzzz!  lol.   :)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 04:45:39 PM »
Keith Olbermann on the subject of veterans' health care, July 26 2007:

OLBERMANN: The outrageous treatment of our injured vets.
Yeah TA...anything u don't believe in is trash.....guess what, Beach doesn't have to prove he exists, maybe u in ur infinite wisdom ought to try and prove he doesn't. Get back to us in 50 years.

GEORGE W BUSH: We owe our wounded soldier the very best care and the very best benefits and the very easiest to understand system.
OLBERMANN: Too bad they're not getting it....the embarrassing news stories of shameful medical treatment and crumbling facilities for badly wounded war veterans...It has gotten so bad that this week two veterans groups sued the government over how it treats injured vets, especially those suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.... One lawsuit claims that the VA has a backlog of 600,000 disability claims....

vs Keith Olbermann on the subject of veteran's health care tonight, August 17 2009:

OLBERMANN: Today the President addressed veterans, a segment of the population that already receives public health care, and superlative health care at that....the President promising the vets that their excellent government provided benefits will not change.

Hmmm.
L

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »
You're confused.  I said two things:  (1) people primarily watch TV for entertainment, so naturally shows like American Idol will have better ratings than a political show; and (2) "it's the content of a show that helps drive ratings."  Those statements are not inconsistent.  Shows like American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, etc. will always have more viewers than Larry King, Bill O'Reilly, etc.  

When you're comparing similar shows, content determines which shows people will watch.  And "content" doesn't always = "intellectual or meaningful" stuff.  It includes the ability to sing, dance, act, make a fool of yourself, etc.  

In any event, your attempt to link American Idol with political shows makes no sense.    
So you agree then high ratings speak nothing of content since high ratings can equal "singing, dancing and making a fool of yourself".

Ratings are simply what people choose to watch for whatever reason and therefore its impossible to define the content based on ratings and impossible to define why they are watching.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2009, 04:52:01 PM »
Apples and oranges..u really think ur clever. Political shows on Fox have a right wing bent and they are frog stomping the political shows on MSNBC who are left wing. More people watch Fox because despite all ur hope and dreams for some leftwing shift, this country is center-right and moving away from Barry and the extreme left wing douchbaggery that ol Barry represents.
L

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
So you agree then high ratings speak nothing of content since high ratings can equal "singing, dancing and making a fool of yourself".

Ratings are simply what people choose to watch for whatever reason and therefore its impossible to define the content based on ratings and impossible to define why they are watching.

No, that's not what I said.  Try again. 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2009, 04:57:54 PM »
Apples and oranges..u really think ur clever. Political shows on Fox have a right wing bent and they are frog stomping the political shows on MSNBC who are left wing. More people watch Fox because despite all ur hope and dreams for some leftwing shift, this country is center-right and moving away from Barry and the extreme left wing douchbaggery that ol Barry represents.
What is so "right-wing" about Fox?  All I ever see is made up facts, fear-mongering with no emphasis on any Conservative Ideals.  They would abhor the atheist Barry Goldwater if they ever stopped to read anything he ever wrote.

I also remember they were demonizing Ron Paul during the Primaries day in and day out.  I would consider him a Conservative.

Fox News is not in the business of promoting Conservativism at all.  Please explain to me what they do and how they do it.