Author Topic: Couple faces 29 felony counts, life in jail in kidnapping  (Read 2842 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Couple faces 29 felony counts, life in jail in kidnapping
« on: August 28, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »
It is stories like these that make me think pedophiles should be one and done. 

Couple faces 29 felony counts, life in jail in kidnapping

ANTIOCH, California (CNN) -- Phillip Garrido and his wife, Nancy, will face 29 felony counts after being accused of kidnapping Jaycee Lee Dugard when she was 11 and keeping her in their backyard since 1991, the district attorney of El Dorado County, California, said Friday.

Phillip Garrido, a registered sex offender, was arraigned in California on Friday.

The Garridos are each facing charges of kidnapping someone under 14 years of age, kidnapping for sexual purposes, forcible rape and forcible lewd acts on a child.

The maximum penalty for both defendants would be life imprisonment.

Authorities were are looking into Garrido's possible connection to other crimes.

A search warrant was issued for Garrido's home in connection with killings that occurred in the 1990s, a spokesman for the Contra Costa Sheriff's Department said Friday. Pittsburg, California, police obtained the search warrant, said the spokesman, Jimmy Lee.

Earlier Friday, a California sheriff also admitted that his organization "missed an opportunity" nearly three years ago to find Dugard.

Someone called 911 on November 30, 2006, to say that a woman and young children were living in tents in the backyard of Phillip Garrido, said Sheriff Warren E. Rupf of Contra Costa County, California, on Friday.

"This is not an acceptable outcome," he said.

The responding sheriff's deputy spoke with Garrido, a registered sex offender, in the front yard of his house.

"None of us, particularly law enforcement, should believe a word that one of these animals utters," Rupf said when asked about the lessons learned from the missed opportunity. "If there's a sophistication [about sex offenders] in any regard, it's in misrepresenting who they are and what motivates them.  Watch Rupf talk about the 'missed opportunity' »

"We took things he said obviously at face value and did not properly brand him."

Rupf also said that "to the best of his knowledge," the deputy didn't know that Garrido was a sex offender.

The deputy determined that no crime had been committed even though he did not enter or ask to enter the backyard, the sheriff said.

"We should have been more inquisitive, more curious, and turned over a rock or two," the sheriff said. "We missed an opportunity to bring earlier closure to this situation."

Dugard lived for 18 years in a shed and other outbuildings behind her abductor's house, where she gave birth to two girls whom he fathered; the girls are now 11 and 15, police said.

CNN policy is not to publish the names of victims when there are allegations of sexual assault. In this case, Dugard has been the subject of a 20-year public search and her image and name have been widely disseminated, making protection of her identity virtually impossible.

Dugard was kidnapped in 1991 as her stepfather watched, helpless, in front of her house in South Lake Tahoe, California.  Learn about some missing children who have been found alive »

Investigators arrested Garrido on charges of kidnapping and abusing her after police discovered Dugard on Wednesday.

"The last 18 years have been rough, but the last two days have been pretty good," her stepfather, Carl Probyn, told CNN's "American Morning" on Friday.  Watch Probyn describe getting the news »

Phillip Garrido, 58, and 54-year-old Nancy Garrido were arraigned Friday in Placerville Superior Court in Placerville, California. They pleaded not guilty Friday.

During their time living in Garrido's backyard, Dugard and her two children apparently rarely ventured out of their compound, investigators said.

Dugard "was in good health, but living in a backyard for the past 18 years does take its toll," El Dorado County Undersheriff Fred Kollar said.

He described her as "relatively cooperative, relatively forthcoming" in discussions with detectives. She was "in relatively good condition," neither obviously abused nor malnourished, he added. "There are no known attempts by her to outreach to anybody."

The children didn't go to school or to the doctor's office. Now they and their mother are being thrust into a strange new world.

On Friday, Dugard began the long process of reuniting with her family.

Terry Probyn, who is separated from Carl, spoke with her daughter Thursday and learned that she had two daughters of her own, he said.

Carl Probyn said he expects Dugard and her two children to come back to Southern California, since "that's where we all live."

Garrido apparently maintained a blog in which he claimed to control sound with his mind. The blog now has numerous profanity-laced responses from people outraged over his alleged actions.

In a rambling telephone interview from jail, Garrido told CNN affiliate KCRA of Sacramento that he was relieved at being caught.

"I feel much better now," he said. "This is a process that needed to take place."

The investigation went years without apparent progress until Tuesday, when Garrido showed up on the campus of the University of California at Berkeley with his two daughters and tried to get permission to hand out literature and speak, Kollar said. He did not know the subject of either the literature or the planned talk.

Police officers "thought the interaction between the older male and the two young females was rather suspicious," so they confronted them and performed a background check on him, Kollar said.

That check revealed that Garrido was on federal parole for a 1971 conviction for rape and kidnapping, for which he had served time in the federal penitentiary at Leavenworth, Kansas.

The two female police officers contacted Garrido's parole officer, who requested that he appear Wednesday at the parole office.  Watch police talk about why they arrested Garrido »

Garrido did just that, accompanied by his wife "and a female named Allissa," Kollar said.

The presence of Allissa and the two children surprised the parole officer, who had never seen them during visits to Garrido's house, Kollar said.

"Ultimately, Allissa was identified as Dugard," Kollar said.

Scott Kernan, undersecretary of the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation, said Garrido admitted having abducted Dugard.

Dugard's presence behind Garrido's home since apparently went unnoticed in the neighborhood, where homes on one-fourth to one-half-acre lots typically sell for less than $200,000, said Kathy Russo, whose father has lived two houses away from the Garridos for 33 years.  Watch aerial view of backyard compound »

"My dad said he never saw a young woman," Russo said, adding that her 94-year-old father considered Garrido to be a "kind of strange, reclusive, kind of an angry kind of guy."

She said the one-story house's backyard was obscured by trees and ringed by a wooden fence.

In his jailhouse interview, Garrido told KCRA that he could not go into detail about why he chose to abduct Dugard. "I haven't talked to a lawyer yet, so I can't do that," he said.  Hear interview with Garrido »

But Garrido said he had "completely turned my life around" in the past several years. "You're going to find the most powerful story coming from the witness, from the victim," he promised. "If you take this a step at a time, you're going to fall over backward, and in the end, you're going to find the most powerful, heartwarming story."

He added, "Wait till you hear the story of what took place at this house. You're going to be absolutely impressed. It's a disgusting thing that took place with me in the beginning, but I turned my life completely around."

Describing his two daughters, he said, "Those two girls slept in my arms every single night from birth; I never kissed them."

In a later comment, he said that, from the time the youngest was born, "everything turned around."

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl/index.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Couple faces 29 felony counts, life in jail in kidnapping
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »
Death penalty would be better.  also auction off everything they own and give the money to the girl and her kids. :-X 

sick sick people.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:40 PM »
No.

Permanent solitary confinement in a cage that doesn't allow them to lie down or sit down accompanied by super bright lights and loud noise 24/7 and staff of doctors charged with keeping them alive so they can experience the never ending pain.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 05:09:04 PM »
No.

Permanent solitary confinement in a cage that doesn't allow them to lie down or sit down accompanied by super bright lights and loud noise 24/7 and staff of doctors charged with keeping them alive so they can experience the never ending pain.
works for me.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 05:11:56 PM »
Not solitary.  Needs to be in the general population. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:33 PM »
Not solitary.  Needs to be in the general population. 
how about solitary with conjugal visits from the general population :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 05:18:47 PM »
how about solitary with conjugal visits from the general population :D

Works for me.   :)

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 05:18:53 PM »
Whata a fucked up world.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:24:22 AM »
http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/08/28_ucpd.shtml

Looks like he was a religious kook too.   :o

Lisa Campbell, manager of the UCPD special-events unit, says of her initial encounter with Garrido on Monday, when he came to her office to inquire about holding a campus event related to a group called "God's Desire." He said the event would be "'big' and the government was involved,"

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 11:35:30 AM »
http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2009/08/28_ucpd.shtml

Looks like he was a religious kook too.   :o

Lisa Campbell, manager of the UCPD special-events unit, says of her initial encounter with Garrido on Monday, when he came to her office to inquire about holding a campus event related to a group called "God's Desire." He said the event would be "'big' and the government was involved,"

SHIT, this could be another one of these deals? or like The Finders :-X

The Finders

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/ciadrugsabusemurder.shtml

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:06 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl.blog/index.html

he seems to be a deeply relgious man (or crazier than a shit house rat) as some excerpts from his blog reveal:

Garrido's blog entries are posted by "THEMANWHOSPOKEWITHHISMIN D." He refers to "God's Desire," which is a church based out of his home in Antioch, according to CNN affiliate KCRA of Sacramento.

In a post on August 14, he writes that during a "powerful demonstration" in July in Pittsburg, California, "the Creator has given me the ability to speak in the tongue of angels in order to provide a wake-up call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world."

"You too can witness what the world believe's [sic] is impossible to produce!" he writes, providing an e-mail address. "DON'T MISS OUT!"

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/08/28/california.missing.girl.blog/index.html

he seems to be a deeply relgious man (or crazier than a shit house rat) as some excerpts from his blog reveal:

Garrido's blog entries are posted by "THEMANWHOSPOKEWITHHISMIN D." He refers to "God's Desire," which is a church based out of his home in Antioch, according to CNN affiliate KCRA of Sacramento.

In a post on August 14, he writes that during a "powerful demonstration" in July in Pittsburg, California, "the Creator has given me the ability to speak in the tongue of angels in order to provide a wake-up call that will in time include the salvation of the entire world."

"You too can witness what the world believe's [sic] is impossible to produce!" he writes, providing an e-mail address. "DON'T MISS OUT!"

shit... sounds to me like they were training kids from birth to be mindless tools who could be used for anything, including specifically bringing end times into a reality.  and the statement about the government and it's big?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:54 PM »
shit... sounds to me like they were training kids from birth to be mindless tools who could be used for anything, including specifically bringing end times into a reality.  and the statement about the government and it's big?

you're not really hung up on that are you?

the dude is clearly out of his gourd

I can't imagine what that girl (now and adult) and her two children are going through

those kids have never been to school, never had a friend, and probably rarely ever left that back yard prison

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 12:26:26 PM »
you're not really hung up on that are you?

the dude is clearly out of his gord

I can't imagine what that girl (now and adult) and her two children are going through

those kids have never been to school, never had a friend, and probably rarely ever left that back yard prison

what's out of his mind have to do with it?  I wouldn't believe you if you told me The Finders were sane. you have to have something crosswired to do shit like that, maybe brainwashed.  anyway, if it's just him or him and others, it's still looks like that's what was being planned from his words.  and yea, it's nuts.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
what's out of his mind have to do with it?  I wouldn't believe you if you told me The Finders were sane. you have to have something crosswired to do shit like that, maybe brainwashed.  anyway, if it's just him or him and others, it's still looks like that's what was being planned from his words.  and yea, it's nuts.

why jump to conclusions just because the guy mentions the "govt" and "it's big"

why are you assuming he's telling the truth and not just crazy as shit.

I'm going to lean toward crazy until there is proof to the contrary

Here's a clue for you:

Carrying what looked like a homemade book with a title about schizophrenia and God, he told Campbell, of the UC Berkeley police special events department, that he wanted to discuss a permit for an event on campus called "God's Desire."

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_13224536

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2009, 12:54:20 PM »
why jump to conclusions just because the guy mentions the "govt" and "it's big"

why are you assuming he's telling the truth and not just crazy as shit.

I'm going to lean toward crazy until there is proof to the contrary

Here's a clue for you:

Carrying what looked like a homemade book with a title about schizophrenia and God, he told Campbell, of the UC Berkeley police special events department, that he wanted to discuss a permit for an event on campus called "God's Desire."

http://www.mercurynews.com/crime/ci_13224536
don't be an idiot.  nowhere did I state it as fact and nowhere did I state a conclusion.  You're jumping miles ahead lol.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2009, 03:46:21 PM »
don't be an idiot.  nowhere did I state it as fact and nowhere did I state a conclusion.  You're jumping miles ahead lol.

well I've been away from the computer for a few hours and you've already started a thread that appears to be tying this guy with govt. mind control

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 02:20:22 PM »
well I've been away from the computer for a few hours and you've already started a thread that appears to be tying this guy with govt. mind control
I was looking at it.  why do people always do this?  If you're looking into, (investigating) you're not stating anything for a fact.  There are no conclusions in this thread or the one that I started.  "Looks like" does not equal "is"

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 03:31:12 PM »
I was looking at it.  why do people always do this?  If you're looking into, (investigating) you're not stating anything for a fact.  There are no conclusions in this thread or the one that I started.  "Looks like" does not equal "is"

HUGO - CHECK THIS OUT.
________________________ ________________ 

Taibbi: Guess Who's Getting Rich Off The Cap-and-Trade Bill?
Our Good Friends at Goldman Sachs!

By Susie Madrak Saturday Jun 27, 2009 11:00am I wish I'd been paying closer attention to this, because now I have a whole lot of questions that weren't there before I read Matt Taibbi's latest story for Rolling Stone: "How Goldman Sachs took over Washington by engineering every major market manipulation since the Great Depression."

But first, the "good" news:

WASHINGTON -- Landmark legislation to curb U.S. greenhouse gas emissions was approved by the House of Representatives in a close vote late Friday, securing a hard-fought victory for a cornerstone of President Barack Obama's agenda.

After months of negotiations, the Democratic-controlled House has narrowly passed sweeping legislation calling for the nation's first-ever limits on pollution linked to global warming. Stephen Power explains the bill's implications.

The 1,200 page bill—formally known as the "American Clean Energy and Security Act"—will reach into almost every corner of the U.S. economy. By putting a price on emissions of common gases, such as carbon dioxide, the bill would affect the way electricity is generated, how homes and offices are designed, how foreign trade is conducted and how much Americans pay to drive or to heat their homes.

Talking about how very deeply Goldman Sachs is embedded in the investors that will profit from cap-and-trade, Taibbi says:

Well, you might say, who cares? If cap-and-trade succeeds, won't we all be saved from the catastrophe of global warming? Maybe - but cap-and-trade, as envisioned by Goldman, is really just a carbon tax so that private interests collect the revenues. Instead of simply imposing a fixed government levy on carbon pollution and forcing unclean energy producers to pay for the mess they make, cap-and-trade will allow a small tribe of greedy-as-hell Wall Street swine to turn yet another commodities market into a private tax-collection scheme. This is worse than the bailout: It allows the bank to seize taxpayer money before it's even collected.

"If it's going to be a tax, I would prefer that Washington set the tax and collect it," says Michael Masters, the hedge-fund director who spoke out against oil-futures speculation. "But we're saying that Wall Street can set the tax, and Wall Street can collect the tax. That's the last thing in the world I want. It's just asinine."

Cap-and-trade is going to happen. [Ed. note - this was published yesterday.] Or, if it doesn't, something like it will. The moral is the same for all the other bubbles that Goldman helped create, from 1929 to 2009. In almost every case, the very same bank that behaved recklessly for years, weighing down the system with toxic loans and predatory debt, and accomplishing nothing but massive bonuses for a few bosses, has been rewarded with mountains of virtually free money and government guarantees - while the actual victims in this mess, ordinary taxpayers, are the ones paying for it.

It's not always easy to accept the reality of what we now routinely allow these people to get away with; there's a kind of collective denial that kicks in when a country goes through what America has gone through lately, when a people lose as much prestige and status as we have in the past few years. You can't really register the fact that you're no longer a citizen of a thriving first-world democracy, that you're no longer above getting robbed in broad daylight, because like an amputee, you still sort of feel things that are no longer there.

But this is it. This is the world we live in now. And in this world, some of us have to play by the rules, while others get a note from the principal excusing them from homework until the end of time, plus 10 billion free dollars in a paper bag to buy lunch. It's a gangster state, running on gangster economics, and even prices can't be trusted anymore; there are hidden taxes in every buck you pay. And maybe we can't stop it, but we should at least know where it's all going.

RS hasn't put it online but really, I strongly recommend buying the issue to support this kind of journalism.

You can read some comments on the piece here, here and here.
________________________ ________________________ ___________________

The next time you hear about "global warming" and the need to push the "climate bill", think about what i just posted from Taibii. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 04:53:17 PM »
333, why the hell did you post this here?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 06:31:29 PM »

he hates obama worse than kidnappers, it would seem.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 06:34:24 PM »
he hates obama worse than kidnappers, it would seem.
LOL... I mean really huh :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 04:50:58 AM »

It got jammed into this thread by accident during one of those "maintenance issues" that the site has had lately.   

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 05:04:19 AM »
It got jammed into this thread by accident during one of those "maintenance issues" that the site has had lately.   
Goddamnit Ron... you better fix these interdimentional board issues... :D  This is like the 10th time I've posted here and had it mysteriously end up on the sex board :D