Author Topic: deadlift suit  (Read 2493 times)

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
deadlift suit
« on: August 30, 2009, 05:36:11 PM »
so i lifted with a deadlift suit for the first time today and...... i thought i was going to die. couldnt breathe and lifted 40 lbs LESS than normal. embarassing.

i adapted a little by pushing my belt lower around my fat belly than normal. ended up going light and tried to figure it out.

im going to cry. thanks for listening

John O

• Getbig III
Re: deadlift suit
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52:43 PM »
^^^ another good reason to lift Raw  ;) Seriously, Guess anything new takes time to get use to.
 I have heard they don't help Sumo deadlifters as much as conventional . although I have never tried one. When I did wear gear, I  just wore my squat suit ( Z-suit) to deadlift in ( Sumo)
Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:07 PM »
DL suits absolutely help the sumo stance more than a conventional stance lifter. The reason being that a sumo DL more directly simulates a wide stance squat. You can use far more leg and less back in a sumo DL.

Most people I know will just use a suit that keeps their hips and thighs tight but barely restrict the abdominals at all. They say its more for peace of mind than adding weight. The suits are so loose up top that they can put the straps up themselves with ease.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 08:48:24 AM »
Good to know!
 I was thinking deadlift suits were like a bench shirt for the back. That's why I thought they would help conventional lifters more. Seeing as sumo, like you said use more legs then back.  Thats why I use to wear my squat suit when deadlifting. 

I might look into a DL suit. for non-Raw meets I might like to enter.
Masters- 50-54
148#

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:26 PM »
Most say that the suit keeps them from getting into position correctly. It does push your hips forward but usually makes it very difficult to get down to the bar for conventional lifters.

There are a lot of people who use their squat suit for DL's. Straps down if its still too tight.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:49 PM »
Should be tight in the hips and thighs but loose everywhere else.  The straps shouldn't tighten up until you get all the way down to the bar.

But either way it's going to take some time to get used to the tightness.  Get your air before you start bending down to the bar and get used to holding it longer.