Author Topic: U.S. is 15 years behind South Korea in Internet speed (also behind 27 other coun  (Read 1028 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Source: Albany News

A report on Internet speed in the United States says the country isn’t likely to catch world leader South Korea for 15 years.

Or for much longer — at current growth rates, the United States will only reach South Korea’s speed today in 15 years.

The report, by the Communications Workers of America, details Internet download and upload speeds all over the United States and some of its affiliated territories. In the last year, the average upload speed in the United States “barely changed,” the report said, and download speed only grew a little, from 4.2 megabits per second in 2008 to 5.1 megabits per second in 2009.

In South Korea, average download speed is four times faster — 20.4 megabits per second. The United States also lags Japan (15.8 mbps), Sweden (12.8 mbps), the Netherlands (11 mbps) and 24 other countries.

The report said U.S. speeds aren’t sufficient for the needs of in-home medical monitoring, distance learning programs, or to run a modern business from home.

. . .

The report calls for more investment in the nation’s Internet infrastructure. It also suggests shifting the outdated universal service payments that support voice telephone service over to pay for better and cheaper high-speed Internet service for everyone.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
shit all mighty man their internet must haul ass then

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
I want to see the rankings

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

grab an umbrella

• Getbig IV

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
I don't understand what all the speed is for?  I can download one hour of girls touching each others private areas in like 12 minutes.

How much quicker do we really need it?

??? ;D
S

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
I don't understand what all the speed is for?  I can download one hour of girls touching each others private areas in like 12 minutes.

How much quicker do we really need it?

??? ;D

MUCH QUICKER!!!
No doubt about it...

MRDUMPLING

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
You guys are lucky...no only is your faster 240, I had an issue with Time Warner throttling my internet.  I PAY FOR the better plan which means on a bad day I should be getting no less than 7mb on a bad day.  I tested mine with three different computers and on a good day I was getting 1.5mb.  Needless to say, I wasn't very polite when I called, fucking paying for a service and not getting it. 

That shit grinds my gears!!!

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
You guys are lucky...no only is your faster 240, I had an issue with Time Warner throttling my internet.  I PAY FOR the better plan which means on a bad day I should be getting no less than 7mb on a bad day.  I tested mine with three different computers and on a good day I was getting 1.5mb.  Needless to say, I wasn't very polite when I called, fucking paying for a service and not getting it. 

That shit grinds my gears!!!

I know that some companies will "game" the bandwidth testing programs, like give a huge boost in speed (to the top end) for the 1st 30 sec of a download before tapering off. Thus giving a higher average speed. I'm sure Comcast does this as well, but I don't quite know because my speed with 15 megabit is pretty solid.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
U have to be able to screw with ur router and computer to get what ur paying for. Its ridiculous. In S.Korea they have online gaming parlors everywhere...the net companies here are a ripoff.
L

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
South Korea fits in Minnesota.
With a population of 48 million.
It is much easier to high speed in a city than a small town.

If you live in a small town in North Dakota your internet will be slow.

Not a surprise really.
Z

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
No..but their culture has driven the net speed needs. When I say they have online gaming places everywhere, I mean it. All times of day and night u see people coming in and out of them. WOW...evercrack....const antly.
L

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
No..but their culture has driven the net speed needs. When I say they have online gaming places everywhere, I mean it. All times of day and night u see people coming in and out of them. WOW...evercrack....const antly.

I have met a lot of Koreans and by and large they really are a great people.  Great neighbors, great business people, great citizens, etc. 

We need more of them over here.     

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
They work very very hard...nothing is free and u had better be able to haggle. I like S.Korea.
L