Author Topic: Better as a heel or babyface?  (Read 2954 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Better as a heel or babyface?
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:27:50 PM »
Some guys are natural faces like Steamboat and Dusty or heels like Flair and Rude. A lot have played both well, but which were they better at? An example

Bret Hart- Started as a heel with Jimmy Hart and the Hart Foundation until they went face. When the team split, he continued his push and became the top face after Hogan left. Was kind of a tweener until turning heel after WM 13 and started the anti America angle.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: Better as a heel or babyface?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:54 PM »
Some guys are natural faces like Steamboat and Dusty or heels like Flair and Rude. A lot have played both well, but which were they better at? An example

Bret Hart- Started as a heel with Jimmy Hart and the Hart Foundation until they went face. When the team split, he continued his push and became the top face after Hogan left. Was kind of a tweener until turning heel after WM 13 and started the anti America angle.
Flair = heel all the way as he was in the eighties. Thats a given, IMO.

Ones that come to mind was always Vader & Mankind. He was way better as a heel but wwe tried to push him as a face and that basically killed his character. Same with Mankind. Way better as heels.

leaky_frog

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:21:43 PM »
Big Boss Man was fantastic as a heel- never liked his face run much.  I always preferred Piper as a heel as well.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:02:33 PM »
Big Boss Man was fantastic as a heel- never liked his face run much.  I always preferred Piper as a heel as well.
The only time i disliked Piper was when he fought Lawler in 94 with that skinny (i think) guy in his corner. I was actually rooting against a childrens hospital.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »
The only time i disliked Piper was when he fought Lawler in 94 with that skinny (i think) guy in his corner. I was actually rooting against a childrens hospital.

Piper was okay, but the match sucked big, fat, hairy balls.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:40:19 PM »
What about Mr. Perfect? Better heel of face?
Heel by far. His peak was 90-92. He was good before and after that but that was his peak.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
I think Savage was a better heel than face.

same with Andre.

Flower Boy Ran Away

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 03:21:36 AM »
I think Savage was a better heel than face.

same with Andre.

I agree with you on both of those.

I liked good guy Macho between Mania’s IV & V.
Not as big a fan when he started wearing the rainbow colored cowboy hats and fringe (even though the Fed was cheesy in general during that time).
His heel persona was still better than both.

I think Andre always made a great heel because he legitimately did not like people.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 05:01:16 AM »
This was the one knock on Steamboat, he was never a heel.

Dusty was very early in his career with Murdoch as his partner, The Texas Outlaws.

Flair, here in NC, he was a tweener....everywhere else he was a heel.  I always thought he was a much better heel. 

Legion of Doom/Road Warriors....I liked them better as heels.

Savage.....better heel.

Mr Perfect.....heel.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 07:14:32 AM »
What about Mr. Perfect? Better heel of face?
Heel 100% with Heenan as his manager.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »
Heel 100% with Heenan as his manager.
AS MANAGERS GO HEENAN ALWAYS RICH,SNOBBY,HEEL PERSONA,WHEN CAPT LOU FLIPPED TOWARD END TO GOOD GUY WASN'T SAME.BLASSIE ALWAYS HEEL,"YA PENCIL NECK GEEK"

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:21:56 AM »
Randy Savage as an eighties heel when he was Intercontinental champion was phenomenal and untouchable.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 09:37:55 PM »
he drew serious heat when he pushed Elizabeth around during wrestlemania 5.

the fans wanted to lynch him

even with Sherri as his manager, he was an awesome heel.
Flower Boy Ran Away

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
scott steiner was better as a good guy

he sucked as a bad guy because he could never remember his smack talk..

it's like he'd get lost mid sentence

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2009, 04:31:25 AM »
scott steiner was better as a good guy

he sucked as a bad guy because he could never remember his smack talk..

it's like he'd get lost mid sentence

Disagree. Scott Steiner as a singles heel was phenomenal...loved the promo he did shooting down Goldberg for the PPV match at fall brawl when he told him, "Size does matter and i'll make you my personal bitch." lol....a freak running around with Madejia (not sure on spelling) with a lead pipe. Loved it. 

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 05:37:18 AM »
Randy Savage as an eighties heel when he was Intercontinental champion was phenomenal and untouchable.
I agree. He was great as a face with Hogan as well. I think he could have more success as a face if Vince didn't try to face him into the announcers spot around 93 or so. People say he was "buried" after his feud with Hogan, but in those days it was Hogan and everyone else. There was no where to go but down. He was still a top 3 guy in the company until his match with Warrior. When he came back, he did win the title and had a great feuds with Flair and Jake but IMO the feel was a lot different.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2009, 08:51:22 AM »
I agree. He was great as a face with Hogan as well. I think he could have more success as a face if Vince didn't try to face him into the announcers spot around 93 or so. People say he was "buried" after his feud with Hogan, but in those days it was Hogan and everyone else. There was no where to go but down. He was still a top 3 guy in the company until his match with Warrior. When he came back, he did win the title and had a great feuds with Flair and Jake but IMO the feel was a lot different.
His fued with Flair in WWE was a good one. I didn't like the way they put him into an announcers position. That was gay. Same with his fued with Crush. He faird pretty well in WCW in 95-97 with some rekindled fueds with Flair and the Dungeon of Doom, the NWO and a couple of others before really toning it down.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:16 PM »
Arn Anderson could switch roles pretty convincingly however, he was always best as a heel.

Likewise for Muta.

Luger switched back and forth so many times everyone lost count but was still a total bore no matter what side of the fence he was on.

Midnight Express were really popular their few face times, but worked the best reaction as heels.

Austin Idol - haha old school - was really popular as a face, but he drew crowds wanting to flay him alive as a heel.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 12:44:46 PM »
Arn Anderson could switch roles pretty convincingly however, he was always best as a heel.

Likewise for Muta.

Luger switched back and forth so many times everyone lost count but was still a total bore no matter what side of the fence he was on.

Midnight Express were really popular their few face times, but worked the best reaction as heels.

Austin Idol - haha old school - was really popular as a face, but he drew crowds wanting to flay him alive as a heel.
Jake Roberts as a heel was fantastic....that erie music in the background while he cut a promo while slapping the back of the hooded cobra was awesome during his fued with Savage.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2009, 09:55:55 AM »
I think its a credit to Hogan that he played the greatest  face for over a decade and became so hated over night.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 11:05:57 AM »
I think its a credit to Hogan that he played the greatest  face for over a decade and became so hated over night.
Hogan's NWO heat was phenomenal. The crowd was relly hostile at bash at the beach.