Author Topic: Former Miss California USA sues pageant officials over firing  (Read 1367 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Former Miss California USA sues pageant officials over firing
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:32:18 PM »
Former Miss California USA sues pageant officials over firing
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES — Former Miss California USA Carrie Prejean sued pageant officials today for libel, slander and religious discrimination, accusing them of telling her to stop mentioning God even before her controversial remarks against gay marriage.

Prejean sued California pageant executive director Keith Lewis and actress and former Miss USA Shanna Moakler, who served as a co-director before resigning in protest of Prejean.

Prejean was fired in June by pageant officials who said she missed several scheduled appearances.

Her attorney, Chuck LiMandri, said that wasn't true, and Prejean was ousted because of controversial remarks in April during the Miss USA pageant that marriage should be between a man and a woman.

She was named first runner-up, and many believe she lost her shot at the Miss USA crown because of her answer.

LiMandri said Prejean filed suit only after he sought detailed information on what events Prejean missed.

"I wanted to give them every opportunity to provide the basis for those claims," LiMandri said.

He said he found no proof that Prejean missed events. "There were no contract violations," he said.

The lawsuit claims Lewis and Moakler both told Prejean not to mention God on her Miss USA application or at public events at least two months before she gave her anti-gay marriage answer.

The suit also claims Moakler and Lewis improperly revealed that Miss California USA had paid for Prejean's breast implants.

Moakler's attorney, Mel Avanzando, said in a statement that Prejean's lawsuit was without merit.

"More importantly, as everyone who watched or read her public statements is well aware, Ms. Prejean's unfortunate and bigoted statements are responsible for any public humiliation or damages to her reputation that she has claimed to have suffered," Avanzando wrote. "Ms. Moakler strenuously denies that she did anything wrong and looks forward to proving that in a court of law."

Prejean is also suing publicist Roger Neal, who handles press for Miss California USA and Lewis.

Neal said he could not immediately comment on the lawsuit.

The lawsuit accuses Lewis, Moakler and Neal of using Internet sites such as Facebook and Twitter to post disparaging remarks about Prejean.

The lawsuit does not name Donald Trump, who owns Miss California USA's parent organization and who in May refused to fire Prejean, a decision he reversed a month later.

The suit states Trump authorized Prejean's appearance on the "Fox and Friends" show in May and a Shape magazine interview, both of which were sighted by Lewis as unauthorized public appearances by the beauty queen.

The complaint does not state a specific dollar figure that Prejean is seeking. It claims she has been subject to public ridicule and humiliation and lost out on modeling work because she lost her crown. She has also suffered anxiety, depression and loss of sleep since her firing, the lawsuit states.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090831/BREAKING/90831055/Former+Miss+California+USA+sues+pageant+officials+over+firing

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Former Miss California USA sues pageant officials over firing
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:12:44 PM »
I would've sworn that I just read an article the other day saying her and Trump had made amends.  Maybe he didn't offer up enough...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:19:52 PM »
i thought she was fired for not attending contractual events?  This was AFTER they made up and he said he was standing by her.

If she didn't do her job and missed appearances, she should lose the title.  No matter what her beliefs are.  If the organization that gave her a platform lost $ or face because their big star didn't appear, she's in breach.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 05:32:56 PM »
I would've sworn that I just read an article the other day saying her and Trump had made amends.  Maybe he didn't offer up enough...

She didn't sue Trump.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:09:02 PM »
She didn't sue Trump.

Good point.  Don't think she'll get much suing them as individuals though.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:13:29 PM »
Good point.  Don't think she'll get much suing them as individuals though.

You don't think Trump will write the check?  I bet it comes out of his pocket one way or the other. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:34:09 PM »
this is when she's realizing her 15 min of fame are up, you can only make so much $ speaking to that small right-wing fringe, and it's time to cash out.

She figures trump will realize it'll cost $2 million to fight, and will be ugly in the public eye.  So she hopes he'll pay her a million to STFU and sign a non-disclosure and not speak on the contest again.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 06:43:28 PM »
You don't think Trump will write the check?  I bet it comes out of his pocket one way or the other. 

IDK enough about Trump to feel comfortable taking a guess.  She can always have me for free... :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 06:47:24 PM »
IDK enough about Trump to feel comfortable taking a guess.  She can always have me for free... :D

lol.   :) 

Trump is the deep pocket.  He's probably going to cough up something. 

What I find interesting is they asked for the specific engagements that she missed and they were didn't provide them. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 07:15:22 PM »
What I find interesting is they asked for the specific engagements that she missed and they were didn't provide them. 

it might be unflattering for the USA team or the company itself to have the incidents be listed.

And was it 1 or 10 appearances that were botched?  how long has USA been unable to control its spokeswomen?

Better practice just to say "contract violation" and leave it at that.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:26:26 PM »
it might be unflattering for the USA team or the company itself to have the incidents be listed.

And was it 1 or 10 appearances that were botched?  how long has USA been unable to control its spokeswomen?

Better practice just to say "contract violation" and leave it at that.
why would it be unflattering?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:09 PM »
The better practice is to tell the truth, avoid getting sued, and avoid the negative press. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 07:35:40 PM »
you have to admit 240 whatever the organization miss california has acted in a way that could be deemed out to get her since her comments...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 07:35:55 PM »
The better practice is to tell the truth, avoid getting sued, and avoid the negative press. 

ANY press on this issue is bad press for them.

They'd just assume she do her thing and stop dragging them into the news.

Tony, it could embarass the companies who were stood up.  We don't know if the 1, or 5 or 10 firms want to be listed as "wronged by the anti-gay marriage beauty queen".  Contract like that are usually not made public.  

I think it was said she was fired for just not showing up to events where she was advertised to attend and which she was contractually obligated to do.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
you have to admit 240 whatever the organization miss california has acted in a way that could be deemed out to get her since her comments...

trump held a press conference to say all was good.  she agreed.  it was good for everyone.

Then, according to them, she stopped showing up for work.  I cannot imagine they would just 'make this up', as it would be mad easy to disprove.  Pics of her at place X, Y, Z, then the phone call/email saying she was fired.  easy to prove.

I think it's safe to say, after she did the make-up kiss with trump and promised to start showing up - that she didn't show up and they had enough.  ya gotta show up for work.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2009, 07:41:07 PM »
trump held a press conference to say all was good.  she agreed.  it was good for everyone.

Then, according to them, she stopped showing up for work.  I cannot imagine they would just 'make this up', as it would be mad easy to disprove.  Pics of her at place X, Y, Z, then the phone call/email saying she was fired.  easy to prove.

I think it's safe to say, after she did the make-up kiss with trump and promised to start showing up - that she didn't show up and they had enough.  ya gotta show up for work.
no doubt my post had nothing to do with whether or not she showed up for work my post addressed the way she was treated etc by the organization the ppl the worked within the organization.

the person she was supposedely dealing with for a little while was the lady that resigned b/c of her comments  ::) fuking come on you cant work with someone who holds a different belief then you?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2009, 07:45:17 PM »

Did she or did she meet her contractual agreements?

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2009, 07:46:40 PM »

thats whats in dispute it was never clear one way or the other as i remember it i guess we will find out soon enough.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 07:50:05 PM »

That's the $64 question.  From the story:

LiMandri said Prejean filed suit only after he sought detailed information on what events Prejean missed.

"I wanted to give them every opportunity to provide the basis for those claims," LiMandri said.

He said he found no proof that Prejean missed events. "There were no contract violations," he said.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2009, 07:55:10 PM »
That's the $64 question.  From the story:

Understanding that we are talking about lawyers here... 

If that's true it looks awful bias on the part of those who fired her.

Any response from the other side yet?  I would think that people couldn't be that stupid to can her without tangible reasons especially given the circumstances.  But you never know.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2009, 07:57:14 PM »
Understanding that we are talking about lawyers here... 

If that's true it looks awful bias on the part of those who fired her.

Any response from the other side yet?  I would think that people couldn't be that stupid to can her without tangible reasons especially given the circumstances.  But you never know.

Yes people do some very stupid things.  Much of the stuff that makes the news could be avoided. 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »
Yes people do some very stupid things.  Much of the stuff that makes the news could be avoided. 
beach you see that cheap ass block farve threw tonight?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
beach you see that cheap ass block farve threw tonight?

No.  I've been at my desk all day.   :-\  What did he do? 

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2009, 08:17:30 PM »
No.  I've been at my desk all day.   :-\  What did he do? 
went low and injured the knee of one of the texans safeties

did something called a crackback block

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2009, 08:25:57 PM »
went low and injured the knee of one of the texans safeties

did something called a crackback block

A crackback is above the waist.  You mean he cut someone?  That's usually what QBs do on the rare occasion they throw a block (below the waist).   Did they throw a flag?