Author Topic: Any TRUCKERS here????????  (Read 3660 times)

challenge

• Getbig III
Any TRUCKERS here????????
« on: September 01, 2009, 09:27:46 AM »
What's the pay like?

How long for a permit?

Is it hard to find work?

Is it worth it?

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
Re: Any TRUCKERS here????????
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 09:28:22 AM »
no, but a lot of pro bodybuilders dress like them for photoshoots.

hope that helps.
Deep Tissue Massage

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
SEA BASS!

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 09:30:21 AM »

challenge

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:31:58 AM »
You guys are swell :D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:33:30 AM »
You guys are swell :D

I think I saw a thread yesterday where Youngblood said he was a truck driver.

challenge

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »

Thanks! I'll track him down and steal his multimillion dollar home!

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 09:35:42 AM »
No truckers here....just lot lizards.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 09:38:21 AM »
I once saw a truck...

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 09:58:52 AM »
What's the pay like?

How long for a permit?

Is it hard to find work?

Is it worth it?

not me, but I have a friend who served with me that is one.

He's told me payment can be sketchy and depends on alot of different factors. (your experience, do you own a truck..if so you will get paid alot more, are you a newbie that needs the exp...so you basically will be driving for cents per mile...etc,etc. Some pay per load+day it needs to be there or your check gets a hit..etc,etc)

When he first started (he was green obviously) so he worked the open roads in US from coast to coast and was paid by the mile for a starter company recommended to him by the place where he got his license.

Basically he recommends to all newbies to start off open road for atleast a year to get that experience that most are afraid of

He did about two years open road then he came back to florida and got his hazmat license to drive the tankers (fuel) now he basically brings in around 60 - 70 grand, he's local (only drives in florida top to bottom) and he just has to delivery his loads and he can actually do that and be home pretty much every night with his family and he gets two days off also.

He loves his job, but he said having the open road experience helped alot when he put out his resume for a local gig. That experience most don't want to sacrifice the open road time...but the reward later seemed to work in my friends favor.

He got his permit in a week...took some classes, drove, parked..etc. To pay for the training he decided to drive for the company that did the training and they just garnish his check. He had guy riding with him for like the first few months or so also coast to coast....after that he was on his own and the rest is history..he's not hurting for cash or work. No office stress. Doesn't have to deal with people that much...just pull up, drop fill some tanks then roll out.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »
No. But I once got a ride with Large Marge.  :o

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2009, 10:18:25 AM »
No. But I once got a ride with Large Marge.  :o

"LARGE MARGE SENT ME!"

LMAO

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 10:32:26 AM »
"LARGE MARGE SENT ME!"

LMAO

One of my favorite movies LOL!! 

challenge

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 10:33:02 AM »
not me, but I have a friend who served with me that is one.

He's told me payment can be sketchy and depends on alot of different factors. (your experience, do you own a truck..if so you will get paid alot more, are you a newbie that needs the exp...so you basically will be driving for cents per mile...etc,etc. Some pay per load+day it needs to be there or your check gets a hit..etc,etc)

When he first started (he was green obviously) so he worked the open roads in US from coast to coast and was paid by the mile for a starter company recommended to him by the place where he got his license.

Basically he recommends to all newbies to start off open road for atleast a year to get that experience that most are afraid of

He did about two years open road then he came back to florida and got his hazmat license to drive the tankers (fuel) now he basically brings in around 60 - 70 grand, he's local (only drives in florida top to bottom) and he just has to delivery his loads and he can actually do that and be home pretty much every night with his family and he gets two days off also.

He loves his job, but he said having the open road experience helped alot when he put out his resume for a local gig. That experience most don't want to sacrifice the open road time...but the reward later seemed to work in my friends favor.

He got his permit in a week...took some classes, drove, parked..etc. To pay for the training he decided to drive for the company that did the training and they just garnish his check. He had guy riding with him for like the first few months or so also coast to coast....after that he was on his own and the rest is history..he's not hurting for cash or work. No office stress. Doesn't have to deal with people that much...just pull up, drop fill some tanks then roll out.

Shit I heard that you would be working like 3 days a week and bring in 5-6k for the week. :o

RamJam

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 10:47:16 AM »
I actually broker freight for a living, due to the current status of the economy, everything is price driven. Last summer when gas was $5 a gallon there were a lot of truckers with tons of work, and they were making bank. Currently its not like that. There is no loyalty in this business and everyone is finding that out right now. Tons of huge companies out there just looking for the cheapest guy/truck.

RxBandit

• Getbig III
  • Team Germany approved.
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 10:51:45 AM »
That's me infront of my baby.

...no question.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 10:58:13 AM »
You should go be on that Ice Road Truckers show.

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
That's me infront of my baby.

beartastic

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 11:48:57 AM »
A

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 11:54:06 AM »
I actually broker freight for a living, due to the current status of the economy, everything is price driven. Last summer when gas was $5 a gallon there were a lot of truckers with tons of work, and they were making bank. Currently its not like that. There is no loyalty in this business and everyone is finding that out right now. Tons of huge companies out there just looking for the cheapest guy/truck.

Sent you a PM.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 12:00:10 PM »
not a trucker, but what i here is that there isn't much money in it anymore. The price of gas is going up, the gov has regulated the amount of hours they can work, plus the economy is slow.
I'm paying 1/3 more this year to get my classic cars shipped.
A

divcom

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies.
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
What's the pay like? $60k?, guy could afford a new escalade or whatever that is suppose to mean

How long for a permit? quick

Is it hard to find work? always employed

Is it worth it? i hate to drive.

my cousin hung with some guy yrs back and this is what i remember.
Oh...Monica!

RamJam

• Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 12:12:10 PM »
Sent you a PM.

I tried to respond to you, but not sure if it went through. Let me know if you got my message please.

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 12:25:22 PM »

Whereas I drive large trucks (mainly 26' trailers, and up to 48'), I'm not a full time trucker; I don't do long-hauls. I'd go to my job, pick up my rig and go out making deliveries for the day and return home every night.
There are certainly good things to get a Class A license; people are ALWAYS looking for truck drivers. Even when jobs are hard to find, do a Google search for "Class A license jobs wanted" or similar and the pages will be filled with want ads. JB Hunt, CR England, FedEx, UPS, Estes Trucking....the names rattle on and on, because you always need to truck stuff coast to coast.
Is it worth it? Depends. I know guys (at times I'm one of them) that don't drive at all anymore. You're on the road so much that you're just tired of seeing idiots driving. Nobody respects trucks, and they're the FIRST people on the road you should respect. That's a whole thread in itself!
How long for a permit depends; how fast of a learner are you? Do you have access to a truck? I did, and my Class A was absolutely free. Matter of fact, I was paid to get mine! But truck driving school is expensive as you have to rent the truck, gas, drive time, take the tests...but they get you everything you need. I can drive a single trailer, but I never had to study for HazMats, doubles/triples, or anything out side of that. I needed a refresher course on hooking up the trailers when you drop & hook, but there that's all small beans.
Pay rates vary. I've seen various rates from $15/hr, .37/mile and some it depends on experience/accident records. If you get your HazMats & Doubles/triples endorsements, you can drive for a Gas company. BIG money...last I heard a reference, they'll start at $35/hr...but you do drive from like 6pm to 5am, are driving long distances with highly explosive liquid (thousands of gallons worth), and you'll have to keep in mind that the gas jockeys are referred to as "suicide jockeys" for a reason....

K-1

• Getbig IV
  • TEAM NO MERCY!!!
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
Shit I heard that you would be working like 3 days a week and bring in 5-6k for the week. :o

probably if you own your own rig maybe.

I've been told by that same friend that there are guys that own their own rig that can bring in 100grrrr in 6 months then take 6 off...but then you have to remember that rig owner is responsible for his own maintenance, towing, gas, fines...etc,etc...all out of his pocket