Author Topic: The Rise and Fall of WCW  (Read 3671 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
The Rise and Fall of WCW
« on: September 03, 2009, 09:20:19 AM »
Heres the link for anyone interested in the doc. Was pretty good, it could have been a lot longer.

http://www.justin.tv/clip/284c6d80a12c38ba

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: The Rise and Fall of WCW
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 11:01:45 AM »
Very interesting DVD. I heard that they short changed everyone on the NWO angle. Could have been longer.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 05:17:23 AM »
Maybe if they’d kept it condensed and closer to its roots.
When you start taking anybody & everybody you end up with a very diluted version, and it really loses its identity as an elite faction.

It would be like having 25 guys in the Horsemen (at the same time).
NWO eventually turned into half the WCW roster.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 04:00:31 AM »
I'm thinking I might ask my gf for this for my b'day.  I've only got a patchy recollection of most of it, as I don't think it was shown in the UK at the time.

The DX promo's for it on last weeks RAW were pretty funny.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 04:50:15 AM »
I still gotta buy the Randy Savage dvd so i'll probably scoop the WCW dvd up too.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 04:47:27 AM »
Finished watching the rest of it this morning. It didn't really explain what happened? They really went into how they climbed the mountain. But not how it all fell apart. There was zero about HBK leading the Federation at the time. Nothing about DX invading WCW. It was too brief on the rise of the NWO. I would think this was VKM's chance to really shit on the WCW. To show how they really went wrong and how he won the war. Maybe I missed something? Just the beginning was good. Don't waste your money buying it.
That bad, huh? Wow....I thought for sure it would have been a great documentary. I'll take your word on that one Chef.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 06:46:18 AM »
That bad, huh? Wow....I thought for sure it would have been a great documentary. I'll take your word on that one Chef.
It was good up until the got to the last days of the company. They buried Jarrett and Nash to a lesser extent. Goldberg was put over huge, probably because he agreed to the interview. Overall it was OK, if i were to buy it, it would be mainly for the matches. They could have had an extra 90 minutes on 98-01 alone.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 10:53:32 AM »
It was good up until the got to the last days of the company. They buried Jarrett and Nash to a lesser extent. Goldberg was put over huge, probably because he agreed to the interview. Overall it was OK, if i were to buy it, it would be mainly for the matches. They could have had an extra 90 minutes on 98-01 alone.
Bishoff must have been in his glory on that dvd especially considering he smashed Vince in the ratings for 96 weeks straight.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »
I bought it, haven't watched it yet, but Im not expecting much.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2009, 04:33:14 AM »
A lot of people carve WCW but it would have been a great promotion. It was the suit and ties of Ted Turner that ruined WCW. Otherwise, they had the work horses to do the shows. They were merely mis-managed.

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2009, 02:26:06 PM »
It really fell apart at the end, between world champions like David Arquette and Vince Russo and the "Fingerpoke of Doom"  

~

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:46 AM »
It really fell apart at the end, between world champions like David Arquette and Vince Russo and the "Fingerpoke of Doom"  

That was the worst angle I have ever seen in pro wrestling. WCW after 1998 was a complete disaster.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2009, 04:58:28 AM »
I had almost completly forgot about Arquette holding the title, that is one memory I can do without for sure.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2009, 05:38:59 AM »
I had almost completly forgot about Arquette holding the title, that is one memory I can do without for sure.

Bobby Heenan claims that Arquette donated his proceeds from that to the families of Brian Pillman & Owen Hart.

That is the only redeeming quality of that angle.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 06:30:46 AM »
To be fair Arquette protested vehemently against it knowing that he had no business winning the title.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2009, 07:23:24 AM »
To be fair Arquette protested vehemently against it knowing that he had no business winning the title.
The "finger poke of doom" on Jeff Jarrett was another disaster. You can tell Hogan was legitamitely pissed after that and that thing he had with Russo was a real shoot and not a work.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2009, 07:34:50 AM »
The "finger poke of doom" on Jeff Jarrett was another disaster. You can tell Hogan was legitamitely pissed after that and that thing he had with Russo was a real shoot and not a work.
haah i remember Hogan filing a lawsuit against Russo because he called him "bald" during that. No one must have noticed before that. ;D

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 07:37:21 AM »
haah i remember Hogan filing a lawsuit against Russo because he called him "bald" during that. No one must have noticed before that. ;D
Mass, I was actually watching that episode of Thunder when that happened and Russo went on a 10 minute rant about Hogan, WCW and the politics behind the curtain even swearign saying "bullshit" in front of the audience. It was crazy. Hogan sued WCW after that and won.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2009, 11:13:37 AM »
A lot of people carve WCW but it would have been a great promotion. It was the suit and ties of Ted Turner that ruined WCW. Otherwise, they had the work horses to do the shows. They were merely mis-managed.

Actually, I think it was AOL-Time Warner... They bought WCW and the ratings started to slip a little, so they would change WCW execs, wouldn't give them any ability to pull out of the slight ratings dip.

Eventually, Time Warner decided they didn't want to be in the wrestling biz and sold WCW to another entity... Vince just happened to have the most to gain, so he paid the most for it.

WCW didn't have to go away, but Vince offered the most.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2009, 11:29:03 AM »
Actually, I think it was AOL-Time Warner... They bought WCW and the ratings started to slip a little, so they would change WCW execs, wouldn't give them any ability to pull out of the slight ratings dip.

Eventually, Time Warner decided they didn't want to be in the wrestling biz and sold WCW to another entity... Vince just happened to have the most to gain, so he paid the most for it.

WCW didn't have to go away, but Vince offered the most.
The NWO angle made WCW IMO. It was getting bored and stale until that one fatefull day in May of 1996 when Scott Hall walked through the crowd....

Andy Griffin

• Getbig V
  • I know my own name, bitch.
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2009, 01:32:13 AM »
From a Hollywood stand point he knew what he was doing. But from a wrestling fan sitting at home on the couch eating doritos. Arquette had no idea. I never watched one episode of friends.

This just leads me to ask if you ever had the opportunity to sniff Courtney's underwear...

(For those who don't know, ChefTim's body of work in this field is unparalleled)
~

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »
When Arquette came on television it was my que to go to the can and grab another beer.