Author Topic: squat grip?  (Read 12415 times)

11venthhour

• Getbig III
squat grip?
« on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:40 PM »
to go thumbless or not?

i grip with the thumb under, but i have read that gripping it thumbless is the way to go(starting strength). it also allows for me to keep a more narrow grip but it dosen't feel natural.

just seeing what others are doing.

John O

• Getbig III
Re: squat grip?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 03:07:46 PM »
Well, I no longer squat ( it hurts enough just to squat down to pick up something I dropped)  :-X lol

But when I did I used a thumbs under grip as well. Hard to think it would make that much diffrence.   I never even thought about squatting thumbless.  Thumbs under I was able to really grip the bar tight and that seemed to keep everything tight.
Masters- 50-54
148#

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 04:54:40 PM »
i guess with the thumbless grip you are supposed to be able to get a more narrow grip and make your back tighter by doing so.

but then i read, possibly westside, that gripping the thumb under activates other muscles to amke everything tighter.

i do not think i will change my grip i was just wondering the rule of thumb so to speak!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 06:31:21 PM »
Collar to collar, hands over top.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 06:47:14 PM »
That really only works with the bigger guys???

Would kill my shoulders to try that Collar to collar (132/148 class)
Masters- 50-54
148#

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 07:31:20 PM »
Collar to collar, hands over top.

when i used to go collar to collar when i did high bar squats but i think with low bar squats its easier to keep the back tight with a narrower grip.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
That really only works with the bigger guys???

Would kill my shoulders to try that Collar to collar (132/148 class)
I am 6'2".
when i used to go collar to collar when i did high bar squats but i think with low bar squats its easier to keep the back tight with a narrower grip.
How low is low ???
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44:24 PM »
How low is low ???

i try to make my rear delts, lower traps the resting point, and i can not keep it tight collar to collar.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 08:50:13 PM »
The end to end grip will give you far less stability. Think of it like holding a DB at full extension to your side or holding it right next to you. Far more control when proximal to the body.

PLers should always grip fairly narrow. Just outside shoulder width works best for me and most I know. Bottom line is that you need to play with it and find out which is most steady. To do this, just load a heavy weight on the bar (around max) and walk it out a few steps. Change your grip and do it a few times to see how it feels. No need to squat the weight, just checking to see how the grip feels.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
The end to end grip will give you far less stability. Think of it like holding a DB at full extension to your side or holding it right next to you. Far more control when proximal to the body.

PLers should always grip fairly narrow. Just outside shoulder width works best for me and most I know. Bottom line is that you need to play with it and find out which is most steady. To do this, just load a heavy weight on the bar (around max) and walk it out a few steps. Change your grip and do it a few times to see how it feels. No need to squat the weight, just checking to see how the grip feels.
That's basically what I did and I found the wider grip works best for me. I use to use the narrow grip but I found I leaned forward too much with it, widened the grip and I can squat comfortably, no balance issues at all.

Matter of fact, this guy has his hands as wide as the rack will allow him...
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 09:52:16 PM »
awesome video!

i actually do not go that narrow, i can place my pointer on the outside ring anything more my shoulders get sore fast. i was trying to get a bit closer in but i lack the flexibility.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:55:42 PM »
awesome video!

i actually do not go that narrow, i can place my pointer on the outside ring anything more my shoulders get sore fast. i was trying to get a bit closer in but i lack the flexibility.
It's just a personal choice, I feel more comfortable with a collar to collar grip.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 11:09:51 PM »
That's basically what I did and I found the wider grip works best for me. I use to use the narrow grip but I found I leaned forward too much with it, widened the grip and I can squat comfortably, no balance issues at all.

Yes, there are plenty of top PLers that do that. They are also wearing suits that help stability tremendously.

This is the grip I am used to. I have gone wide but when the weight gets real heavy it feels too unstable. Oly style for me.

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 02:05:15 PM »

Captain Kirk! Maryland Home boy!! Yeah man, his legs are the size of Red Wood trees! See, his size fits him using a wide grip.

Like chaos said he's 6'2" that might allow that grip but I'm only 5'6". Holding an empty bar to remember how I use to hold  it.  I kept my pinky fingers on the ring.
Masters- 50-54
148#

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »
may sound weird but im always concious of this, on my lighter sets i can go thumbless and be just fine but on my heavier sets i dont feel comfortable going thumbless for some reason. I know it shouldnt really make much of a difference but mentally it does for me.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 06:55:08 PM »
Thumbless, thumbs on the rings.  Going thumbless made a huge difference for me, for whatever reason.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 08:42:07 PM »
may sound weird but im always concious of this, on my lighter sets i can go thumbless and be just fine but on my heavier sets i dont feel comfortable going thumbless for some reason. I know it shouldnt really make much of a difference but mentally it does for me.

i don't even feel comfortable on lighter weights!

i wish i could go more narrow, but i guess i will have to work on it. maybe in the new year i will try the thumbless.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 11:28:32 PM »
Thumbless, thumbs on the rings.  Going thumbless made a huge difference for me, for whatever reason.
i go thumbless for 1 reason...and that is because gorillas do it, and they are way stronger than humans. the gorillas are on to something!!!!

bench

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 12:41:17 PM »
i go thumbless for 1 reason...and that is because gorillas do it, and they are way stronger than humans. the gorillas are on to something!!!!

bench

Touche.

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:54 PM »

bench

1. gorillas have shitty legs

2. Hi pumpster! ;D

3. you are the bench master, not the squat master, so i suspicious of the advice :P ;D

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »
1. gorillas have shitty legs

2. Hi pumpster! ;D

3. you are the bench master, not the squat master, so i suspicious of the advice :P ;D
you can call me a lot of things, but the next time you call me pumpster.......i will find you ;D

bench

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2009, 10:34:06 PM »
you can call me a lot of things, but the next time you call me pumpster.......i will find you ;D

bench

low blow, i know, won't happen again ;D

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 11:26:31 AM »
I can't prtform close grip... my shoulders scream of pain...  >:(
S