Author Topic: U.S. Job Losses Rose in August, UE Rose to 9.7% (Hows that Stimulus working?)  (Read 3340 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
U.S. Job Losses Increased in August, Unemployment Rose to 9.7%
Share | Email | Print | A A A

By Timothy R. Homan

Sept. 4 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. jobless rate in August jumped to 9.7 percent, the highest since 1983, and employers cut another 216,000 jobs, highlighting threats to consumer spending.

The increase in the unemployment rate from 9.4 percent exceeded forecasts. The smaller-than-anticipated drop in payrolls was the least in a year, and followed a decrease of 276,000 in July that was larger than previously reported, Labor Department data showed today in Washington.

Rising joblessness underscores Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner’s judgment that it’s “too early” to start exiting from the unprecedented stimulus measures helping stabilize the economy. AMR Corp. and Whirlpool Corp. are among the companies continuing to cut staff to lower costs and revive profits in the aftermath of the deepest recession since the 1930s.

“The labor market’s healing process is agonizingly slow,” Joshua Shapiro, chief U.S. economist at Maria Fiorini Ramirez Inc. in New York, said before the report. “We expect the improvement to remain a very slow one, and therefore for the household sector to be contending with a weak labor market for some time.”

Revisions subtracted 49,000 from payroll figures previously reported for July and June.

The report comes hours before Geithner meets in London with finance ministers and central bankers from the Group of 20 emerging and developed nations.

While the G-20 gathering will discuss how policy makers plan to exit from their fiscal and monetary stimulus efforts, now isn’t the time to start pulling back, Geithner told reporters in Washington this week. “We’ve come a very long way but I think we have to be realistic, we’ve got a long way to go still.”

Past Recessions

Federal Reserve policy makers waited at least a year after unemployment peaked before raising interest rates in the aftermath of the previous two recessions.

The latest numbers brought total jobs lost since the recession began in December 2007 to 6.9 million, the biggest decline in any post-World War II economic slump.

Payrolls were forecast to drop 230,000 after a 247,000 decline initially reported for July, according to the median of 79 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. Estimates ranged from decreases of 365,000 to 100,000. Job losses peaked at 741,000 in January, the most since 1949.

The jobless rate was projected to rise to 9.5 percent. Forecasts ranged from 9.3 percent to 9.8 percent. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg last month projected the jobless rate will reach 10 percent by early 2010 and average 9.8 percent for all of next year.

Discouraged Workers

Adjusted for part-time employees that would rather have a full-time job and for discouraged workers that are no longer looking for a job but would take one if it were available, the jobless rate jumped to 16.8 percent in August from 16.3 percent.

A rising jobless rate, stagnant wages and falling home values signal a lack of consumer spending may curb an economic recovery.

Today’s report showed factory payrolls fell by 63,000 after decreasing 43,000 in the prior month. Economists forecast a drop of 60,000. The decrease included a loss of 15,000 jobs in auto manufacturing and parts industries.

Announcements of staff reductions continued last month. Whirlpool, the world’s largest appliance maker, said Aug. 28 that it will close its Evansville, Indiana, manufacturing plant, resulting in the elimination of 1,100 jobs, or 1.6 percent of the company’s workforce.

Builders, Services

Payrolls at builders declined by 65,000 after decreasing 73,000. Financial firms decreased payrolls by 28,000, after a 17,000 loss the prior month.

Service industries, which include banks, insurance companies, restaurants and retailers, subtracted 80,000 workers after falling 154,000. Retail payrolls decreased by 9,600 after a 43,200 drop.

Fort Worth, Texas-based American Airlines, a unit of AMR, said this week it will furlough 228 flight attendants and put 244 more on involuntary leave as part of the 1,600 job cuts it announced in June.

Government payrolls decreased by 18,000 after falling 28,000 the prior month.

Today’s report also showed the average work week held at 33.1 hours in August. Average weekly hours worked by production workers remained unchanged from the month before, at 39.8 hours, while overtime also held at 2.9 hours. That brought the average weekly earnings up to $617.32 from $615.33.

More Cuts

“We’re still going to see some months of job cuts,” Brian Bethune, chief financial economist at IHS Global Insight in Lexington, Massachusetts, said before the report. “There is a whole range of options, like adding shifts or hours, that companies can put in place until it becomes necessary to hire people back.”

Workers’ average hourly wages rose 6 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $18.65 from the prior month. Hourly earnings were 2.6 percent higher than August 2008. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg had forecast a 0.1 percent increase from the prior month and a 2.2 percent gain for the 12-month period.

The U.S. recession “is bottoming out” and the economy is poised for “a slow return,” Alcoa Inc. Chief Executive Officer Klaus Kleinfeld said in a Sept. 2 interview. The head of the largest U.S. aluminum producer said government stimulus in the U.S. and China will affect the New York-based company’s earnings “positively” this year.

To contact the reporter on this story: Timothy R. Homan in Washington at thoman1@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: September 4, 2009 08:30 EDT

________________________ ________________________ _______________________

How's that stimulus bill working again?

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Damn, thats bad.  Nearly 10% now.

Even if the stimulus helps a bit, its temporary.  We need growth in this country again.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Damn, thats bad.  Nearly 10% now.

Even if the stimulus helps a bit, its temporary.  We need growth in this country again.

Shoot - there will be no recovery until either Obama is out of office or the congress changes hands and hopefully reverses their spendthrift ways. 

I get bashed over here all the time, but sadly the "Hope & Changers" are clinging to hope, not reality. 

The govt printed trillions of dollars and what did we get???  NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is going to get very ugly as the winter approaches since there is always less activity in a lot of areas once the cold months come.  Whether it is real estate, cars, etc. 

Finally, where are the jobs going to come from???  I want just one lefty on this board to tell me what industry is going to hire anyone right now other than Americorps, Acorn, or the Fed. Gov.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
It seems to me the stimulus went mostly to expanding government, temporary labor/construction projects, pork, and unemployment & medicaid.  While expanding unemployment benefits and infrastructure may be wise, none of this is aimed at expanding mid-long term growth.
If Obama and leading dems have their way, we will no longer be an economic superpower...we will be just like most European countries.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
Don't worry guys, Biden just said that the Stimulus Package had performed beyond their expectations.

Kinda' scary.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Don't worry guys, Biden just said that the Stimulus Package had performed beyond their expectations.

Kinda' scary.

If its goal was to drive people out of work, then yes, he is correct. 

Skip8282

• Getbig V
All that money that the government is giving to the auto dealers is finally making it's way into the economy.

No, wait...maybe not...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
march, april may was 500 - 600 k jobs lost

july - 276,000 jobs lost

aug - 216,000 jobs lost

It sucks, but it's getting better.  As Obama said, by the end of the year, we'll hit zero jobs loss, then the trend will continue in the other direction, as more jobs are added each month.

before you shit on it, I challenge you to find any time in history when a negative jobs loss of 600k in a month was suddenly reversed in just a month.  it doesn't work like that.  Obama said early on that the stim would have us in the black (positive job growth) by the end of the year.  it's august and we're down to 200k jobs lost.  Sucks, but it's closer to zero, when growht begins.

Without Obama putting all the stim $ into the economy, we'd have far greater job losses.  Of course, your solution was, oh you didn't have one?

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum

july - 276,000 jobs lost

aug - 216,000 jobs lost

It sucks, but it's getting better.  As Obama said, by the end of the year, we'll hit zero jobs loss, then the trend will continue in the other direction, as more jobs are added each month.

before you shit on it, I challenge you to find any time in history when a negative jobs loss of 600k in a month was suddenly reversed in just a month.  it doesn't work like that.  Obama said early on that the stim would have us in the black (positive job growth) by the end of the year.  it's august and we're down to 200k jobs lost.  Sucks, but it's closer to zero, when growht begins.

Without Obama putting all the stim $ into the economy, we'd have far greater job losses.  Of course, your solution was, oh you didn't have one?

Really? So you think the government dumping money into the economy is going to create jobs? How long do you think they are going to be able to prop this house of cards up.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
How long do you think they are going to be able to prop this house of cards up.

200 years, please.

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
Re: U.S. Job Losses Rose in August, UE Rose to 9.7% (Hows that Stimulus working?)
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 12:45:03 PM »
200 years, please.

Dude, the government doesn't make money, unless you mean in the litteral sense. They take it from you and me, then give it to someone else instead of doing what they are supposed to do with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

MM2K

• Getbig IV
Re: U.S. Job Losses Rose in August, UE Rose to 9.7% (Hows that Stimulus working?)
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 02:55:55 AM »
This is where Republicans need to start to be a bit careful. It looks like there IS going to be a recovery. Even Roubini is now saying that there is a fair chance of a U shaped recovery. And the White House will take credit for it. The Republicans were right both politicallly and in principle to unanimously oppose the stimululs. They were also right to point out the fact that Obama said that unemployment would get above 8% if we didnt pass the stimulus, and that it is now 10%.

However, they are going to need to start to moderate thier rhetoric about lack of jobs. The big mistake they made in the 1990s was predicting a recession after the Clinton tax hikes. We didnt have a recession because the Federal Reseve flooded the economy with a ton of money, and the tax hikes were not anywhere near the amount of government interference necessary to cause a double dip recession (like the New Deal). In fact, income tax rates were still lower than they were in the first term of Reagan. What we had was a recovery that was much slower and much weaker than it should have been. In spite of the economy already expanding in 1993, I beleive we were still hovering in the 6%-7% unemployment range in 1994/1995. However, the Republicans did not predict a slow recovery; they predicted a recession. And it didnt make them look good.

Obama's problem is that the recovery looks like it will be very slow and frustruating. It's hard to say how patient people will be about jobs. And if taxes go up as planned in 2011, it will be even slower. Also, inflation is going to be a big problem down the road. And if they continue to pursue these healthcare and cap and trade fiascos, it will be even more problematic with them. I think it is safe to say that the Democrats in Congress are in big trouble in 2010. But it's still hard to say what will happen to Obama in 2012.
Jan. Jobs: 36,000!!

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2009, 05:23:53 AM »
Here is the issue as I see it. 

The dot.com bubble and internet boom is what helped clinton.  People had crazy money from stock investments and bought all sorts of crap with the capital gains they had.  It was a bubble that burst, but there was no real long term debt problems associates with the collapse of the dot com stocks. 

The housing bubble  created massive employment and percieved wealth, as well as debt. 

I dont see any area of the economy that is going to lift the economy any time soon. 

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2009, 11:12:36 AM »
Prime Jumbo Trouble: The Foreclosures Keep Coming
http://blogs.wsj.com/developments/2009/09/03/prime-jumbo-trouble-the-foreclosures-keep-coming/

More Concern About The Recovery
http://247wallst.com/2009/09/04/imf-more-concern-about-the-recovery/

Listen to the numbers here and dispute them if you'd like.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2009, 03:17:42 PM »
For someone who has his own business and boasts about how "inefficient" anything done by the government is, 333333 sure finds a loooooootta time to post political stuff in a bodybuilding forum.

Makes ya wander...

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »
Good post MM2K.  People predicted some kind of recovery with or without the stimulus.  The question is was all that money worth the small temporary impact?  Was the money even used in the right areas.  I propose the consequences and increasing debt was not worth it.
We need to support growth of the economy, not expansion of government and temporary jobs.  The gov is wasting too much $.

Republicans should focus their message on the stimulus not helping enough, not getting out of the recession significantly quicker and creating huge consequences with higher taxes and possible inflation.  Unless we create a good atmosphere for business to thrive, we will not see sustainable growth to remain an economic superpower.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 05:42:39 AM »
Other than Hedge and a few others, notice how anyone that disagrees with me has to go personal?  WTF is that all about?

This issue is very serious and I would genuinenly like an answer as to where people see millions of jobs coming from as part of a 'recovery"

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 05:55:21 AM »
Other than Hedge and a few others, notice how anyone that disagrees with me has to go personal?  WTF is that all about?

This issue is very serious and I would genuinenly like an answer as to where people see millions of jobs coming from as part of a 'recovery"

That is because you spend an awful lot of time, I presume, posting union, anti-union I should say, anti-stimulus stuff. My job doesn't allow me to post ¼ of the stuff you do.

I want your job bud. How do I get into debt collection?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 06:04:07 AM »
That is because you spend an awful lot of time, I presume, posting union, anti-union I should say, anti-stimulus stuff. My job doesn't allow me to post ¼ of the stuff you do.

I want your job bud. How do I get into debt collection?

Very simple:

1.  Learn about the FDCPA

2.  Get malpractice insurance or a bond to cover and screw ups.

3.  Incorporate and get licensed.

4.  Go on the internet and get a set of forms to use that are FDCPA compliant.

5.  Open a business account and an master-agent account to place funds collected on behalf of clients.

6.  Get clients to send you accounts.  start small so you can learn the ropes. 

7.  Try to get business accounts since those pay better and are more likely to pay than consumer accounts. 

7.  Become good on the phone and fax and email.

8.  Make sure you have good computer equipment and office setup.  You dont have to go crazy.

9.  Get a large caseload of cases since you will be working on commision and need steady cash flow. 

10.  Dont let your overhead get too high because there are slow times and periods where cash flow is tight. 

11.  Network your business with other businesses.

12.  Service Service Service

13.  Set fees in he middle of the pack.  Not too expensive and not too cheap.   

14.  8 years later post anti union nonsense on getbig.   ;D

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 06:27:28 AM »
Very simple:

1.  Learn about the FDCPA

2.  Get malpractice insurance or a bond to cover and screw ups.

3.  Incorporate and get licensed.

4.  Go on the internet and get a set of forms to use that are FDCPA compliant.

5.  Open a business account and an master-agent account to place funds collected on behalf of clients.

6.  Get clients to send you accounts.  start small so you can learn the ropes. 

7.  Try to get business accounts since those pay better and are more likely to pay than consumer accounts. 

7.  Become good on the phone and fax and email.

8.  Make sure you have good computer equipment and office setup.  You dont have to go crazy.

9.  Get a large caseload of cases since you will be working on commision and need steady cash flow. 

10.  Dont let your overhead get too high because there are slow times and periods where cash flow is tight. 

11.  Network your business with other businesses.

12.  Service Service Service

13.  Set fees in he middle of the pack.  Not too expensive and not too cheap.   

14.  8 years later post anti union nonsense on getbig.   ;D

Thanks for the info. By the by, Dateline did a show on your industry yesterday... not too flattering I must say:

Debt collection

Looks like Cuomo's gonna send you a nice slice of regulation some time soon.

And once Christ Hansen's up your arse... you know what follows.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 06:35:27 AM »
Slapper- I know many people have an isdea around here about what I am all about, but mostly they are only have right. 

I dont do consumer accounts because I consider it mostly blood money.  Those are medical and credit card accounts and landlord/tenant.  I wont touch those because I usually do feel bad for many of the people because they are jammed up.

I do 99% business to business claims.  For example - GC hires plumber.  GC screws plumber out of $$$.  Plumber hires me to go after GC or bonding company or management company. 

With business matters, its rarely personal and I can work out deals that work for both my clients and the debtor. 

There are a ton of abuses of the FDCPA that are horrible from what I can tell.  There are regulations to be followed and my opinion is that if you cant get the job done within those paramters, seek another line of work since there is no way people should be theatened with baseless claims, abused, ridiculed, etc.  I never do that crap.  I have done some pretty crazy things dont get me wrong, but never personally insult people.  That is just wrong, unprofessional, and not likely to get the money for the client.

At the end of the day the goal is to get paid, not insult people and pound your chest.   

Mons Venus

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 07:08:19 AM »

july - 276,000 jobs lost

aug - 216,000 jobs lost

Not good enough 240,,,,,,,,those jobs lost numbers R going DOWN,,,,,,,,,as stocks go UP.