Author Topic: Rampage out of UFC 107 bout vs. Rashad  (Read 2020 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Rampage out of UFC 107 bout vs. Rashad
« on: September 04, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
The scheduling twists are non-stop in mixed martial arts. UFC is all set to make its return to Tennessee and debut in Memphis with a card following The Ultimate Fighter 10 on December 12. Why Memphis? Well, it's Quinton "Rampage" Jackson's hometown and he was expected to fight fellow TUF 10 coach Rashad Evans. That won't be happening according to MMABay, a British MMA site with close ties to Jackson's camp The Wolfslair. The site reports that the Evans-Jackson fight has been dumped from the card.

Wow, what a bummer! After what should be the best TUF season ever, now we have to wait months for Evans and Jackson to climb in the cage? MMABay says Jackson's acting career won't allow him to get in a full training camp before UFC 107 in December. Rampage is expected to play the role of B.A. Baracus in the new A-Team movie which is currently filming in Vancouver.

UPDATE: The Sun confirmed that Jackson did get the role in the A-Team.

UFC president Dana White, boarding a plane for Italy on Friday, was unavailable for comment.

So why Memphis? It seems like a risky proposition now with a depressed economy and no local star on the card. There's also the concerns of fighting in the South as the SEC football season is wrapping up and the NFL is in its playoff drive. Ultimate Fight Night 17 in Nashville got next to no coverage in the Tennessean, will it be any different with the Memphis Commercial and on local television and radio? UFC 102 in Portland fell little flat and failed to sellout. Could it have been because of little media coverage locally?
Predictions
 40/61

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Re: Rampage out of UFC 107 bout vs. Rashad
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:44:14 AM »
"On Thursday, lightweight champion BJ Penn confirmed a rumored match-up with Diego Sanchez for the southern card. The placement of the bout, however, appears to be unset after reports surfaced Friday that the event’s rumored headliner, Rashad Evans vs. Quinton Jackson, was off due to Jackson’s role in an upcoming movie remake of television series The A-Team." - mmaweekly

"White was asked about Jackson's rumored deal during Thursday's UFC 102 pre-event press conference in Portland, Ore. (As of now, producers have not officially announced Jackon's participation in the film, which also stars Liam Neeson and Bradley Cooper with a June 2010 release.)...White said the matter will be discussed internally this weekend while Jackson is in town for UFC 102, which takes place Saturday at the Rose Garden Arena." -mmajunkie

"Regarding the Quinton Jackson stuff, we did get it confirmed that Quinton Jackson pulled out of the 12/12 show in Memphis and there is no date for the Rashad Evans match to be rescheduled for. That confirms Jackson did get the Mr. T role in “The A-Team” movie." - dave meltzer, Wrestling Observer.

Those are just a few quotes from stories and articals on the web and i've read countless threads of people comfirming it and goin mental, yet there hasnt been anything officially announced from either side. My understand is that Jackson could'nt take this because he is contracted to fight, so there can be no way he can take this role unless something has been worked out with the UFC..yet the rumour rages on. What are folks thoughts about this and does anyone else have related news?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 01:35:16 PM »
This really kind of spoils the next season of TUF to a certain degree.  I hope Rashad takes another fight during Rampage's hiatus.    How about Rashad v.  Thiago?

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
How about Rashad v.  Thiago?

That could be a good one or maybe Rashad vs. Randy "Handy" Couture.
Predictions
 40/61

Stapleton

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 05:18:03 PM »
How did Rampage end up snagging BA's role?

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 04:18:29 AM »
That could be a good one or maybe Rashad vs. Randy "Handy" Couture.

Wow, I like your idea much better, lol.  That would be a great fight. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »
How did Rampage end up snagging BA's role?

He has a great agent plus his contract for the UFC is for $350,000...he's getting between $5-7mil for the A-Team. For him this was a no brainer.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:12 AM »
He has a great agent plus his contract for the UFC is for $350,000...he's getting between $5-7mil for the A-Team. For him this was a no brainer.

I can't imagine Jackson getting anywhere near 5-7 million to play B.A, at least for the playing the role itself.  He has limited acting experience and name recognition.  Who knows if he has secured a percentage of the box office or a merchandising deal for toys.  Merchandising deals are where the money is at and that could increase his payday significantly.

My major concern is whether they are going to include subtitles so the audience can understand what he is saying.  Ebonics and mush mouth don't mix well.
A

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 09:20:26 AM »
I know he didn't have much competition for the role, apparently he beat out rappers, The Game, and Common (I don't know if I spelled it right, who cares).
Predictions
 40/61

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 07:51:14 AM »
I know he didn't have much competition for the role, apparently he beat out rappers, The Game, and Common (I don't know if I spelled it right, who cares).

He has been doing a Mr. T imitation for years.
A

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:27:13 AM »

He has been doing a Mr. T imitation for years.

He's kinda eased up on it a bit in the last couple years though.
Predictions
 40/61

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2009, 09:47:27 PM »

Dude, they are NOT paying him even a fraction of five million dollars to play that role in the A Team.  That is dead fucking wrong, guaranteed.  Come on man, you can't be serious.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »
I'd bet he's getting like 2.5 mill-- Which is still 5x what he would earn fighting Rashad even with a win bonus+ fight of the night bonus.

chixlegs

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 09:59:17 PM »
I'd bet he's getting like 2.5 mill-- Which is still 5x what he would earn fighting Rashad even with a win bonus+ fight of the night bonus.

Honestly, he is probably getting paid about fifty K for his part in that low budget movie.  He is a nobody.  He is a totally unproven box office draw.  The general public has no clue who he is.  He has no acting history and that movie is going to be low budget anyway.  Trust me, he isn't getting even close to a million dollars.  No producer is going to give millions of dollars to a guy who has never been in a movie before that the general public doesn't know. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 11:57:37 PM »
I'm dead serious.