Author Topic: report on my organic garden.  (Read 2799 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
report on my organic garden.
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
don't do it unless you have nothing else to do and want a challenge with little reward.

You may remember I was going to do the gardening thing this year.  I'll report my disaster.  Every bug and ooky alienesk thing known and unknown enjoyed my efforts.  It was a daily routine of going out to the garden and yelling, "OMG, WTF is THAT"  To top it off, swarms of grasshoppers pretty much decimated the remains.  Then there was the fact that everything got started late because a hailstorm decided to come in and set it all back to start.  weeks of work vanished in 5 minutes at mother nature's whim.  Not worth it.  I calculate based on time and money spent and reward received, I probably paid about 15 bucks per edible item left.  If there is a major disaster and you have no food, eat worms. :D  I would before going through that shit again.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
Re: report on my organic garden.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 04:58:55 PM »
did you brew your own beer yet?

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 05:05:23 PM »
this will become the new fad as long as people can pay their energy bill and police/dea don't come busting down your door for growing tomatoes lol

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 05:07:50 PM »

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 05:09:37 PM »
did you brew your own beer yet?
I just harvested the first year of hops a few days ago.  Most of them also got eaten by grasshoppers.  nearly all of them had a large portion of the hop eaten.  others were not worth harvesting because of some unknown little clear wormy things covering them by the thousands.  Others were tossed because tiny spiders thought they were a great place to lay eggs, so they were webbed with egg sacs. >:(

Ok, to go on, when I started the hops portion of the garden, I did my research, as I normally do with everything, I went overboard.  I read everything written about hops and the soil and tending that was written all the way back to the 1800's.  I'm obsessive compulsive that way in trying to get shit done right.  I like to do it right the first time.  So I got the soils and mounds done right, in the right location with the right soil, with the right fertilizer makeup, the works and I'll tell you, these hops smell like shit.  I would rather piss in my beer than put the hops I harvested in my beer. 

total failure, I suck or it was the perfect storm this year or something.  The one thing I do know is that I would have spent way less to just order all the shit I wanted or buy it locally.

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 05:12:22 PM »
  So I got the soils and mounds done right, in the right location with the right soil, with the right fertilizer makeup, the works and I'll tell you, these hops smell like shit.  I would rather piss in my beer than put the hops I harvested in my beer. 

hahahahah!

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 05:21:29 PM »
Next time use Pyrethrum.  :)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
this will become the new fad as long as people can pay their energy bill and police and dea don't come busting down your door for growing tomatoes lol

I actually did that this year too.  and let me tell you, I call bullshit.  unless your electric bill is way way cheap which is not the case with most people, you're going to have some seriously pricey veggies.  I ended up growing my peppers inside because I didn't have time or space to put them outside.  So I kept the setup I had in the spring to sprout seedlings to grow the plants.  It takes at least 6 forty watt bulbs for a 4 X 3 foot space which won't be enough to grow very much.  Those need to be running for 18 hours per day.  Add up 240 watts at 18 hours a day for 3+ months and divide it over the 2 dozen peppers or whatever you grow, plus add in the time spent doing it and materials/fert etc and those are some really pricey veggies.  I totally regret doing this.  It was a fun learning experience but by the time I was done, or I'm close to done I mean, I was really disgusted at the price this cost for the reward.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 05:24:45 PM »
hahahahah!

I'm a very sad disgusting excuse of a man :D  I failed and I hate that :(

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 05:35:26 PM »
Next time use Pyrethrum.  :)
actually I broke down at one point and went for the pesticides at home depot.  I found an organic friendly pesiticide that was said to absoulutely kill grasshoppers and a host of other critters and be no harm whatsoever to you, so I paid extra for the shit.  I bought twice the amount I would need just incase I would have to do a second dose later.  This was something Ortho put out if I remember right.  I went out, sprayed everything and was pretty pleased because I saw first hand that I had actually managed on soaking most of the grasshoppers with it.  So I figured, bang, you're dead.  The next day, I went out, and boom, not a single dead grasshopper or bug.  not one and I looked around, they were all happy as fuck and eating away. So I loaded up the second bottle.  Same thing, next day not jack fucking shit.  all alive and happy.  fuckers...

What it did manage on doing within a few days was to kill off many of the leaves sprayed, especially on the hops.  I lucked out because I only sprayed the lower portion which doesn't matter because no hops grow below 3-4 feet. But that didn't matter because the hops are nasty anyway and I doubt I'll use them.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 05:39:21 PM »

this is a great video but outside of the scope of the one man home operation.

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:45:55 PM »
I had about 30 watermelon and 20 stalks of corn.  All got eaten by raccoons, possums, rabbits, squirrels.

Still harvested Bell peppers and tomatoes.  I think next year I am going to build a walk in cage with chicken wire.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »
I had about 30 watermelon and 20 stalks of corn.  All got eaten by raccoons, possums, rabbits, squirrels.

Still harvested Bell peppers and tomatoes.  I think next year I am going to build a walk in cage with chicken wire.
not a bad idea.  People who have been doing this for a while make it sound like it is a total reward to do it.  maybe it just takes a few years to figure out all the issues with it.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 05:52:35 PM »
One word Hugo... well, one hyphenated word:

...poly-tunnel.

The Luke

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 05:57:31 PM »
not a bad idea.  People who have been doing this for a while make it sound like it is a total reward to do it.  maybe it just takes a few years to figure out all the issues with it.

My aunt had the same issue so that is what she did with her tomatoes.  By the way if you have bug issues the best thing I have found is to get some tobacco like Redman or similar and soak it in water then strain that water into a spray bottle to use on the plants.  My grandma told me about it and it works.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2009, 06:00:23 PM »
One word Hugo... well, one hyphenated word:

...poly-tunnel.

The Luke
I just wanted a garden lol... a home garden...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Polytunnel_Balhungie.jpg

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »
My aunt had the same issue so that is what she did with her tomatoes.  By the way if you have bug issues the best thing I have found is to get some tobacco like Redman or similar and soak it in water then strain that water into a spray bottle to use on the plants.  My grandma told me about it and it works.
that's one of the things I read about searching for organic pesticides.  In the end I got lazy and just bought the organic pesticide that didn't work at home depot.  I'll try this if I do it again.  I'm still not sure I'll be able to equate any of this to a savings.  I think the time/materials put in on all of this makes the product way more expensive.  I thought it was a pretty time consuming venture.  worth it if the product provides a greater reward, better taste or whatever but... I guess I'm on the fence with this, disgruntled at the results vs. expectations.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 06:11:56 PM »
Did the product you tried have Pyrethrum?

This product will work no if's and's or but's about it. Trust me. You have to use it a couple of times, I avoid use during the last stages of fruiting/flowering becasue i don't wanna take any chances. I have never been dissappointed using this. I'd be shocked if it didn't perform.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 06:17:23 PM »
If you wanna play on the wild side you can try Diazinon AG500. I'd really watch it with this shit though.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 06:25:09 PM »
I used ecosense brand insecticidal soap by Ortho.  It doesn't work worth a shit, don't buy that crap.  and I used exactly as the directions indicated, twice... this will not kill grasshoppers for anything.  I am 100% sure I could have dipped a grasshopper in it, put him in a jar and he would have been alive the next day.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/ortho-ecosense/PDF/ortho-ecosense_insecticidal-soap.pdf

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:56 PM »
I used ecosense brand insecticidal soap by Ortho.  It doesn't work worth a shit, don't buy that crap.  and I used exactly as the directions indicated, twice... this will not kill grasshoppers for anything.  I am 100% sure I could have dipped a grasshopper in it, put him in a jar and he would have been alive the next day.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/products/ortho-ecosense/PDF/ortho-ecosense_insecticidal-soap.pdf

I hope you take that shit back to Home Depot and demand a refund.  I hate it when they sell worthless crap to people.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »

other ingerdients= 99% but it deosnt say what. or did I miss it?

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2009, 09:48:40 PM »
Organic gardening....

hehehehehe...  :D

Oh you guys....  :)

Hey Hugo, did you know Monsanto makes vegetables that are inherently pest resistant? You don't even have to worry about going to the Home depo...

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2009, 09:49:32 PM »
screw monsanto

Hereford

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 09:53:16 PM »
Had Hugo used Monsanto plants, he might still have a pest free garden.  :)