Author Topic: most annoying question you hear as someone who lifts  (Read 34943 times)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
Re: most annoying question you hear as someone who lifts
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2009, 06:45:34 AM »
Most annoying? Lol...

"When I was your age, I used to be bigger than you!" Oh ya...sure you were. Even with today's vast array of chemicals and state of the art supplements.  ::)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2009, 11:43:07 AM »
It's always how much do you bench.  When I tell them I don't bench they just don't understand because lifting for them is bench and curls. If you mention poundage for anyother lift they don't have a clue. 

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Lol I had almost the opposite; I moved the stack doing rows one day and the only other guy in there starts talking about how he used to juice and I need to work on my diet (he had a good lean 30 lbs on me and was at about the same strength as me.  I think he was out of practice)
My idiot wanted me to spot him on that VERTICAL CHEST PRESS so he can squeez out 1 rep of the stack I was using.
((-::

Hungry2

• Getbig I
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »
To be honest, I try to avoid these idiots and not talk to people when at the gym. I'm all business and there to hit the weights, nothing more. I dont want to hear some guys life story of how he "used to be" this and that and what have you.

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2009, 10:56:25 AM »
To be honest, I try to avoid these idiots and not talk to people when at the gym. I'm all business and there to hit the weights, nothing more. I dont want to hear some guys life story of how he "used to be" this and that and what have you.
Thank God for the Ipod!!!!!

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 08:48:26 AM »

I am the same way.

Most of the strange or dumb questions i get are usually from co-workers or random people in public areas.

I had a young guy at my old job ask me how many years it took for me to get the size i was, when i replied with "over 10 years of consistant diet and training" he almost laughed and told me he didn't think it would take him that long to get to my size. Some people honestly think they can lift weights for a year and look like Arnold, and when i tell people all the years of training and dieting it took me to get where i was/am, they usually react with the old "i was your size in high school" or when i tell them how strong i was/am, i get the same thing "i used to bench 405 in high school/college" etc...cracks me up every time.

I've heard the majority of the comments in this thread at one point over the years. The old "i don't want to get too big" has to be one of the most common or when you tell someone you bench 365 or whatever they always claim they benched 10 pounds more in high school or something. Most women give the "but i don't want any ugly muscles" and after i explain to them how they won't build hardly any muscle due to the female hormone profile they still don't believe me and think they will look like a woman from American Gladiators after 6 months of cardio kickboxing.

But the absolute worst has to be "why?". i get this a lot. Why? Why do i lift weights, why do i eat healthy, why do i do cardio 4 days a week, why play racket ball, why lift weights at all? i usually reply with "why not"? People sit on their asses and drink beer with an extra large value meal while smoking cigs all day and i never ask them anything. it is like being healthy is a bad thing in our society today and people will almost condem you for it. When a 300 pound man who can't walk up a flight of stairs without breaking into heavy breathing and a sweat is asking me why i workout, i almost want to reply with "so i don't end up like you", but i'm kind enough to respect that person and their right to be fat and unhealthy, so i can just continue on being what i choose to be rather than what our failing society wants me to be.

8)

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 11:26:08 AM »
x2

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
While I was doing a set of leg extentions  some old Fred Samford looking guy comes over and asks, "what does that work?"

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2009, 07:32:57 PM »
do you lift weights?

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2010, 08:25:32 PM »
"your not going to do steroids are you?".......... i had a older family friend ask me that when i was 250-260lbs.....at the time i was on enough stuff to bring munzer back to life...and kill him again!!!

"should i take hydroxycut...my friend says it works, and i dont have time to workout"......stupid people

bench

regmac

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »
"Wow you must spend all day lifting heavy weights."   WTF >:( 

MountaineerMuscle

• Getbig II
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 09:29:48 AM »
i know, its a rip off of regmacs topic but screw it.

1. how much do you bench? i tell them some crazy number like 565. they have no idea anyway
That has to be number one, I always say 105 or 135

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2010, 06:01:52 AM »
"How often do you lift"
"How long have you been lifting"
"Do you know chaos"

liquid_c

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2010, 12:15:48 PM »
1. How much do you bench

2. How much can you lift?????

3. How long did it take you to get that big

4. How often do you workout

5. How do I build my traps up "people assume if you have a good body part you know some secret exercise for that body part"

6. Stupid jokes like "I taugh him everything he knows about working out" He's my bodyguard etc.

7. You must eat a lot

8. What suppliments do you take

9. How big are you arms

10. how much weight do you use on the bench

11. how much can you bench.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »
"How often do you lift"
"How long have you been lifting"
"Do you know chaos"

u sure he never asked you for acne-cleansing tips?
follow the arrows

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »
u sure he never asked you for acne-cleansing tips?

Lol ;D

NaturalWonder83

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2010, 07:22:20 AM »

Lol ;D
who is this mystery friend of yours clavin? have i met him at the gym?
w

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2010, 10:50:19 AM »
who is this mystery friend of yours clavin? have i met him at the gym?

It's that dude Scott.he wants to workout with me but I told him that spot is reserved for you 8)

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2010, 11:27:59 AM »
Everyone knows a guy who has a brother that has an uncle who's cousins sister in-law is co-workers with a guy who's great grandfather is friends with a fella who's niece is married to a guy that's 4x your size. Even if this mystery person was 4x my size, how is this statement going to improve the conversation? I mean wtf do they expect you to say?

Thats wild...im 6ft 240 right now. And there is always some kid who was my size and height as a freshman in highschool..The funny thing is, my friend from undergrad has been sayin it for 10 years, about the same guy..."mally, joe blow was a freshman and he was your size (at this time im 215lbs)...fast forward 10 years and "yeah mally that guy came in as a freshman and he was your size...true story" ....we are talkin about the same guy...and im 240 now..

Robgun1

• Getbig III
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2010, 11:56:57 AM »
 "how much do you bench"  and  "how long did it take you to look that way" .

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »
its not "how much do u bench.." its usually " how much do u LIFT....

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2010, 12:53:04 PM »
the most annoying question i usually get is from all these damn super models asking for my seed after they discover that i am a getbigger...

bench

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2010, 01:33:06 AM »
do you work out
do you lift
have you ever heard bb.com

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2010, 02:42:15 PM »
Everyone knows a guy who has a brother that has an uncle who's cousins sister in-law is co-workers with a guy who's great grandfather is friends with a fella who's niece is married to a guy that's 4x your size. Even if this mystery person was 4x my size, how is this statement going to improve the conversation? I mean wtf do they expect you to say?

lol lol
X

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2010, 07:49:59 AM »
I just tell Slacker is on vacation and he will answer all questions upon his return.