Author Topic: CrossFit  (Read 7197 times)

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
Re: CrossFit
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 02:16:40 AM »
two things

1- swedish viking- leave the andre arlovski look to andre arlovski

2- spike- congrats on being a all around stud

75quid I just put in your gstring and bought you a case of whipping cream :D ;D

Tyr

• Getbig IV
  • Head of deliverance
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 02:21:55 AM »
under 1000post fail............get me a pic of some guy that can put a shirt on and get the 'damn brah must workout alot' thing in public, that does crossfit ---- no one

will be a fad like p90x but people will get burnt out REAL quick with crossfit after a few yrs, if it makes it that far, success of program with the masses will steeply decline when they realize that workout is bullsh.it after pounding 3 grey goose and cranberry at the meeting lastnight and then the blow they had at lunch wears off and all they wanna do is go get smashed get away from spouse NOT go have some tool yell at them and jump rope or do bullsh.it squat-trust/bunny hop workout

a personal trainer for the upper class is a hot educated male/female that looks like they know their shit and someone they can bullsh.it/flirt with away from husband/wifey.........if thats the guy teachin crossfit he wins

gayer than tae bo and any movie with billy banks in it

P90x  is still out there. As you rightly pointed out most of these programs last for a year or two until the next fad takes its place.  

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 06:14:38 AM »
Yeah in a couple years we will see some dork wearing an old Crossfit T shirt and laugh saying "remember that crap?"

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 06:22:42 AM »
These fads are cyclic. A few years ago, fitballs were all the rage with people doing every conceivable exercise on them, kettlebells came back in fashion, now crossFit is the "in thing", those vibrating stands from like the 70's are back, who knows whats next.....
No doubt about it...

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 07:01:24 AM »
= I want a hairy chest/balls, I dont like to workout too long or too hard, and I hate training legs

let alone dodging the fact I just proved my point

go find a crossfit board if you can brah cause if your gonna knock bb'ing cause your past that 'level' then whatev.........and who said shit about PED;s??

I said it comes down to when you put a shirt on (not a smedium from baby gap like in your pic) a REAL shit like a XXXL from champs they sell in the back - you prob dont cause it would swallow you ass - that people notice you train

instead of walking around like bearded, hairy tennis player - I mean christ what do you weigh, 150lbs??  you look good but your just skinny, u look like the 20yr I work with that just eats shit all day adn does blow all night - full out abs but shit else----nothing on you stands out?  or do you jus tnot care about chest/arms/legs - muscles in general ---- your more the 'total' fitness and 'total' body workout guy ---- you will never be 225lb with abs

I bet when you but on clothes (the right size ones) you are right back to twink status = why u knock bb;ing and try to pawn crossfit off like its some big new thing

Nothing is going to stand out, everything is going to be in good proportion, like it is now.  I'm 190lbs(I know I don't look 150), little body fat, and cycle between splits and full body's, high volume and low.  I'd like to push it back up to 200 but only if it's lean.  225 is out of my range, and my desire. 
   These days I much prefer faster paced workouts, which most people would agree are much more difficult than the typical slow, wait 45 sec-2min between sets, bbers workout.  I don't slack in the slightest-I consider my old bbing and powerlifting workouts to be much easier than today's.  In fact, almost every successful bber I have ever seen train, of which there are very many, train very midly in comparison to every successful athlete I have seen train-with wrestlers being the hardest training of them all.  The vast majority of the pros, in fact, train almost embarrasingly mildly.  1 set taken to failure and beyond(which they don't even do) and then a rest is not hard training, 12-15 sets of selected compounds and isolated movements taken to negative failure, all done with no rest in between and then sitting yourself down on a rower and rowing 3000 metters is a different story-that's a low volume session, but I do the more traditional high as well.
   Nonetheless, I think if you'll read my original comment again, you'll find that I'm not tying to 'pawn' cross fit onto people; in fact, I said that it would be the next big thing-which you all seem to agree upon-and that it is infinitely better than any other fad to date...which I don't see how you can disagree with-it's based on squats, deadlifts, both Olympic lifts, both sprinting and lung distance running, chins and pullups, and pushups.  If that's not better, in your mind, than Tae bo and belly dancing and everything else out there, then you have a totaly different definition of fitness than I do. 
   I am beyond new to Crossfit and haven't really done it more than once, but the principles appeal to me and the average Joe much more than getting as big as possible and then getting as cut as possible and then getting up on stage to show it off-primarily to men...this is something most getbiggers are aware of and have spoken and laughed about on numerous occassions as well.  That had it's day, it may come back, but obviously it's not in right now.  Most people, myself included, do not want to have to go to 'back of Champs' to find the XXXL shirts, shave their body's, and been seen covered in oil and tanning lotion, as I'm sure you've noticed that most other people(the ones that matter most-women) do not find that look attractive, but rather prefer something a bit more balanced and athletic, although far above the average-which I am.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 08:04:48 AM »

Nothing is going to stand out, everything is going to be in good proportion, like it is now.  I'm 190lbs(I know I don't look 150), little body fat, and cycle between splits and full body's, high volume and low.  I'd like to push it back up to 200 but only if it's lean.  225 is out of my range, and my desire. 
   These days I much prefer faster paced workouts, which most people would agree are much more difficult than the typical slow, wait 45 sec-2min between sets, bbers workout.  I don't slack in the slightest-I consider my old bbing and powerlifting workouts to be much easier than today's.  In fact, almost every successful bber I have ever seen train, of which there are very many, train very midly in comparison to every successful athlete I have seen train-with wrestlers being the hardest training of them all.  The vast majority of the pros, in fact, train almost embarrasingly mildly.  1 set taken to failure and beyond(which they don't even do) and then a rest is not hard training, 12-15 sets of selected compounds and isolated movements taken to negative failure, all done with no rest in between and then sitting yourself down on a rower and rowing 3000 metters is a different story-that's a low volume session, but I do the more traditional high as well.
   Nonetheless, I think if you'll read my original comment again, you'll find that I'm not tying to 'pawn' cross fit onto people; in fact, I said that it would be the next big thing-which you all seem to agree upon-and that it is infinitely better than any other fad to date...which I don't see how you can disagree with-it's based on squats, deadlifts, both Olympic lifts, both sprinting and lung distance running, chins and pullups, and pushups.  If that's not better, in your mind, than Tae bo and belly dancing and everything else out there, then you have a totaly different definition of fitness than I do. 
   I am beyond new to Crossfit and haven't really done it more than once, but the principles appeal to me and the average Joe much more than getting as big as possible and then getting as cut as possible and then getting up on stage to show it off-primarily to men...this is something most getbiggers are aware of and have spoken and laughed about on numerous occassions as well.  That had it's day, it may come back, but obviously it's not in right now.  Most people, myself included, do not want to have to go to 'back of Champs' to find the XXXL shirts, shave their body's, and been seen covered in oil and tanning lotion, as I'm sure you've noticed that most other people(the ones that matter most-women) do not find that look attractive, but rather prefer something a bit more balanced and athletic, although far above the average-which I am.

No one on her agrees with you - read the posts - they claim this is a fad and will die I out just like I said b4 - there is not begginer stage and people will get burnt out on this shit in 16months - this shit will disaper

as far as 'you definition of fitness' I have a 4yr degree in exercise physiology and I am currently C.S.C.S. certified

I dont go "back to champs" - I just buy very large shirts their that actually cover my huge arms - I dont rock my shirts left over from 8th grade and take pics of myself with my arms crossed tryin to make them feel better

and when in the hell have hundreds of people gather to watch a 'session' of crossfit, what magazines does 'crossfit' sell, the answer is NOT SHIT cause bodybuilding does that -- its the #1 reason people workout - to LOOK better and they want someone on that level to give them advice or get them to their goals - on down the list you have health/wellness but I am talking about getting the most of a workout consistently over time - NOT some 20min bullshit for 4weeks or 90days that will 'transform' you - complete B.S. - Axial loading and muscle stimulation are key to bodybuilding and weight lifting while crossfit incorporates that shit it throws too much in the basket and cause catabolism in any begginer athlete let alone if a obese person were to do this shit they wouldnt last 2weeks

olympic lifts my ass -- maybe in the video but Olympic lifts are designed to directly incorporate your central nervous system and musclorskeltal system into POWER movements - now you can use that to get your heartrate up but to incorporate these advanced movements into some 40something yr old lady's workout would be rediculous and an insurance suit waitin to happen -

simply but you believe crossfit is good but it works for YOU - I am a personal trainer but I train mostly athletes - crossfit in p90x out of the box

it something that Jimmy and the boys can 'hit up right quick' b4 they go to happy hour after a long day of marketing bullshit and tell everyone about the 'crazy' workout they had today

crossfit = someone with shit certification teaching you moves, balance shit based heartrate and repition OR bullshit

who gives a shit if you 'seen pros who train lazy' ---  YOU work too hard and dont eat shit so you are 165lb(i'll give you that much but you'll never be 200lb ripped brah) cause all you do is run laps and so squat thrusts

catabolism is something people who make money from this sport have to take into account buddy and your program is the pinnacle of that shit.......say goodbye to the fad soon but you dont have to go to champs to buy shirts

JUST BUY A SHIRT THAT FITS ;)

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 08:08:38 AM »

as far as 'you definition of fitness' I have a 4yr degree in exercise physiology and I am currently C.S.C.S. certified

see, it is gonna sound like i'm kissing your ass but seriously that is a hard cert to get.
I'm ACSM certified and even i know that CSCS guys outrank us

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 08:14:21 AM »
Is that a polar bear skin on your wall of your house?  did you kill that sombtch?

but NICE TRY - 'internet toughguy' no....but someone who calls bullshit and can back it up YES

results I will give you, you look good, but crossfit is a fad

oh and by the way your legs arent gettn full development, try full range squats

NICE TRY tho brah

Nice shots Spike

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »
see, it is gonna sound like i'm kissing your ass but seriously that is a hard cert to get.
I'm ACSM certified and even i know that CSCS guys outrank us

my prof from school insisted that get that after I did a research paper on gh and he enjoyed it so much

but I appreciate johnny - another 75quid to the young stud with the 12pak abs and nice hair

Nice shots Spike

cant let anyone down - going to go hit up lake hickory today with all the labor day rednecks - '"hey bruthur whur ya'll workout at?....gawdamn'd ur big'

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »
my prof from school insisted that get that after I did a research paper on gh and he enjoyed it so much

but I appreciate johnny - another 75quid to the young stud with the 12pak abs and nice hair

cant let anyone down - going to go hit up lake hickory today with all the labor day rednecks - '"hey bruthur whur ya'll workout at?....gawdamn'd ur big'
Famous redneck statements from Lake Hickory = "are you a wrassler" "you wanna arm wrassle" "how much do u Binch" 8)

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2009, 11:19:08 AM »
I’d like to refer back to my original post here, as I am assuming you will likely not do it, to show you that I feel, and have always felt, relatively similar to the way you do.  I’m well aware Crossfit is a fad and I said as much by stating it will be the next big thing in the fitness world-everyone has all but agreed wholly to this.  Where we differ is the fact that my stance is that it is a higher quality one than most others that have already been mentioned, Tae bo…etc.  The fact that its focus is not on first improving the structural efficiency of each individual or taking the time to slowly, progressively, and conscientiously improve the cardiovascular fitness of each person, as is par for the course in the personal training world, is one of the drawbacks I was referring to in my second post but that fact doesn’t take away from its inherent benefit-that being getting the average Joe off his butt. 

The reason sound, long way around, strength training is only minimally popular to put it best is because it doesn’t appeal to the masses, which crossfit and every other fad has managed to do on a much greater scale.  It has managed not only to bring in new trainees but take a large portion of the vast majority of the current trainess, of which primarily waste their time, and get them moving towards a level of health and aesthetics that is likely greater than the one they currently experience.  Some people will get hurt, specifically the people you have described, but that is the case for the average trainee anyway who rushes into strength training as well;  its benefits still outweigh its negatives.  The idea that there isn't a 'beginner phase' isn't really a sound one...these workouts much like every other workout are tailored to the people doing then. 

Nonetheless, the people you described would, of course, be better off in the long run with personal guidance.  Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is such that most people need excitement before they need slow, steady, logic-and if they can get excitement in a manner that is one step up from the last exciting thing that came out, which I pretty clearly think that crossfit is...then all the better-then we've seen an improvement.  Improvements in structural and neuromusculary effeciency, the promises of axial loading, and rate of force production are not getting people in the door, but a program with more sense than Tae bo and ab vibrations belts...etc is.  Some will be hurt, some will feel left out(though they don't have an excuse, they can just tailor it to themselves and their current level of fitness and avoid that problem altogether), but many more will be introduced to fitness in a way that is better than the last way the masses were introduced.  This is positive, imo.

In regards to catabolism and my workout routine, you stated that I don’t like to workout hard.  I informed you that that wasn’t the case by giving you an example of a hard workout, which you then deemed too hard.   Although, I also stated that that was one type of workout that is then cycled through more traditional type workouts-I cycle for the same reason as your are stating, to avoid negative gains, and to keep getting stronger, improving my lifts, and maybe put on another 10lbs.  I am well aware of the dangers of catabolism and I word to avoid them; I continue to improve and when I come back to the hard workouts I described earlier, my performance is always better.  I do eat and I do weigh 190, and I’m relatively sure, that most people would be pretty satisfied, if not very satisfied with my physique over that of a competitive bodybuilder’s.

In regards to bodybuilding and the motivation of the public, crossfit in and of itself has not been around long enough to sell magazines and with the current array of exercise magazines on the shelves today, its more likely it will be publicized through one of those mediums.  Having said that, the ideals of crossfit-athleticism, fit bodies, and good cardiovascular health far and away sell more publications and more tickets and sell out more seats than anything bodybuilding will ever come close to.  Bodybuilding and bodybuilders do not sell magazines-essentially no one cares about or respects the sport of bodybuilding and very few people on the whole would care to listen to anyone 'at that level.'  Fitness and athletic looking bodies sell magazines and those few buying hardcore mags are heavily heavily heavily outweighed by those buying fitness oriented mags purporting the crossfit ideal: a level far far removed from what bbing defines as desirable.  Crossfit more than takes care of the desires of the average Joe, and thus appeals to them much more than bodybuilding; though it admittingly has some drawbacks that will, of course, have to be dealt with.  Last, I think you’re mistaken about the popularity of Crossfit-competitions have more competitors than the average bbing show, and more people on the sidelines.

In conclusion, I’d like to reiterate my initial contention: Crossfit will be the next big thing in the fitness world.  It may die out, but it will likely last longer than the other fads simply because of the fact that it is of higher quality than they are and it has a well known strength coach behind it rather than a hollywood personality-in addition to the fact that it has essentially been around forever...it just has some structure now and a name.  It has clear drawbacks and they will be well publicized-the fact that it has become competitive is the biggest issue as this takes away from people’s willingness to improve in a sustainable manner.  Having said that, the benefits, in my opinion, outweigh the negatives simply because of sheer volume.  Last, people are not blind, they too will see an experience the downsides and respond accordingly-the important thing is that they got their foot in the door. 

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2009, 11:31:30 AM »
Not going to bother reading the essays by spike and SV

But what is CrossFit training? just weightlifting mixed with cardiovascular training?

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:55 AM »
It's the newest trend in strength training.  You're pretty much right, classic lifts done in a cardiovascular type fashion. 

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2009, 11:44:36 AM »
It's the newest trend in strength training.  You're pretty much right, classic lifts done in a cardiovascular type fashion. 
Cleaning the weight and doing the front squat is very taxing great on the cardiovascular and legs..

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »
wow, so they finally gave a name (crossfit) to what highschool football coaches have been doing forever :o

bench

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2009, 11:55:45 AM »
wow, so they finally gave a name (crossfit) to what highschool football coaches have been doing forever :o

bench
hahaha
My football coach would make us do that shit in the sticker filled grass. >:(
A

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2009, 11:57:01 AM »
hahaha
Hell yea nothing new here ;)

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2009, 12:06:34 PM »
hahaha
you dont have to tell me. i am from texas too bro, i also had to grow up around those fucking idiots ;D

bench

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 12:16:43 PM »
you dont have to tell me. i am from texas too bro, i also had to grow up around those fucking idiots ;D

bench
There is some damn good high school football in texas brutes down there

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »
There is some damn good high school football in texas brutes down there
yeah but it comes at a price.

bench

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 11:33:32 PM »
Crossfit is for people who don't understand training. Most of the instructors that have crossfit "certifications" have little experiance let alone having experiance teaching olympic type lifts that take time to get the mechanics correct. Not only that, there is no real protocol for any real dynamic warm ups. Crossfit has been sued numerous times for injuries related to exercise which is probably why they now have to SELF-INSURED.

dyslexic

• Getbig V
  • baddoggy
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2009, 01:32:54 AM »

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2009, 02:53:16 AM »
  I do have a dead animal hanging on my wall.  Reindeer.

I tend to disagree with you.  Coming from a bodybuilding and powerlifing background, and now having moved over to a more athleticism based training program, I tend to think the former is what is giving a bad name to exercise in general.  I think most people would agree to this.  Fads are made popular by big personalities, usually without much of a background in exercise science; crossfit is gaining momentum much slower in relation to the average fad and it was created by Mark Rippetoe, a well respected strength coach and former competitor.  It is also far more able to deliver results that not only do most people find more appealing but also would generally be accepted as a higher level of fitness than the average fad and definitely more so than your typical bbing or powerlifting workout gives.  All summed up, I would much rather have this physique and a high level of respiratory and cardiovascular fitness, than a typical bbers-in addition to the fact, that I have no strong desire to use performance enhancing drugs just to keep up with the Jones'.  Plus, I prefer keeping my body hair :)

meh to be honest you look fantastic

Spike may enjoy being as big as he is but he's also juiced to the gills

Crossfit itself might be a 'fad' or a gimmick but the training style is carried and tweaked through time and is great for fitness/flexibility and training for function

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2009, 03:11:14 AM »
meh to be honest you look fantastic

Spike may enjoy being as big as he is but he's also juiced to the gills

Crossfit itself might be a 'fad' or a gimmick but the training style is carried and tweaked through time and is great for fitness/flexibility and training for function

Thank you and like I said...of course it's gimmicky, but it's better than the other gimmicks for the average Joe and because it's malleable you can make it into something each individual can benefit from, imo.  

Dyslexic, that is the funniest, best picture I have ever seen an I am saving it and putting on my desktop.

Immortal_Technique

• Getbig IV
  • "It's all a bunch of shit, I say fuck it" - DF
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2009, 03:16:03 AM »
Discuss.

It seems like a perfectly valid means of keeping your heart healthy and staying lean, but none of the guys in my cross-fit-orientated gym have seen any noticable muscle gains, so from a bodybuilding perpective I proclaim it rubbish!