Author Topic: CrossFit  (Read 7189 times)

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
Re: CrossFit
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 06:49:14 AM »
It seems like a perfectly valid means of keeping your heart healthy and staying lean, but none of the guys in my cross-fit-orientated gym have seen any noticable muscle gains, so from a bodybuilding perpective I proclaim it rubbish!

I'm a competitive bodybuilder with a C.S.C.S. cert and 4yr degree

olympic lifts are designed to incorporate your CNS and muscloskeletal system into firing correctly to produce more power - OK it gets your heartrate up BUT old ladies and people in their 40 DO NOT need to be doing these movements -- NO WAY of spotting them and form and hip flexion are the KEY to most OLYMPIC style lifts

my arguement lies there -- hence why they have SH>it certifications and NOT ONE big insurance carrier backs that shit

fad just like tae bo -- until you get hurt

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 07:05:24 AM »
I'm a competitive bodybuilder with a C.S.C.S. cert and 4yr degree

olympic lifts are designed to incorporate your CNS and muscloskeletal system into firing correctly to produce more power - OK it gets your heartrate up BUT old ladies and people in their 40 DO NOT need to be doing these movements -- NO WAY of spotting them and form and hip flexion are the KEY to most OLYMPIC style lifts

my arguement lies there -- hence why they have SH>it certifications and NOT ONE big insurance carrier backs that shit

fad just like tae bo -- until you get hurt

Spike, seriously was there any reason to trash this guy for liking Crossfit training.... ::)

In any event, Crossfit to me is no different than P90X and it will pass very soon as another fad and then come back in about 10-20 years.

Every exercise routine, diet, etc always reappears after a certain period of time from HIT to Atkins to Kettlebells etc.  Its just part of fitness marketing and sales. 
A

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »

Spike, seriously was there any reason to trash this guy for liking Crossfit training.... ::)

In any event, Crossfit to me is no different than P90X and it will pass very soon as another fad and then come back in about 10-20 years.

Every exercise routine, diet, etc always reappears after a certain period of time from HIT to Atkins to Kettlebells etc.  Its just part of fitness marketing and sales. 

Vince I believe that is first time you have ever addressed me on this board.....come down to hickory one day and we'll do legs

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 07:27:39 AM »
swedish= natural   spike=on steroids

so the discussion between those two is pointless from the beginning.  Swedish, nice NATURAL physique.

Spike: how many people do you bullshit on a daily basis about how they can get as big as you...without telling em about...you know STEROIDS ?
And how do you explain to em that you had to use steroids because you were too insecure being smaller not using em?

it's only Your own opinion to think that everyone has insecurities requiring em to get "bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger" ... Some people just enjoy getting healthier and healthier ... sometimes i doubt you re a certified trainer, cause you obviously lack some basic psychological skills, at least when you bragg on the internet...

To me most meatheads like you discourage newcommers in the gym, they dont motivate em.  Basically you sound like the typical juiced certified trainer who sincerely despise newbies and laugh at em while training em while parading in the gym highfiving his fellow juiced gymrats friends .
You represent everything that is wrong with nowaday gym staffs. But hey, it wont prevent newbies from suscribing we all know that. It's the way it works.

Fortunately there are some humble and dedicated NATURAL personal trainers who are really compassionate about their customers and can use some psychology here and there instead of just bullshiting em. Must be a bore for em to work with people like you.

Who cares what your degrees or certificates are when we can hear you talk the way you do: you re obviously an asshole who seems to hate naturals with a passion for some reasons. Nobody aggressed you here in the first place, funny isnt it.
Maybe you shoud lower your dosages ?

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:33 AM »
Vince I believe that is first time you have ever addressed me on this board.....come down to hickory one day and we'll do legs

If I ever have time, I'll let you know.
A

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 07:38:00 AM »

If I ever have time, I'll let you know.

translation- don't hold your breath on it

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2009, 07:55:50 AM »

so the discussion between those two is pointless from the beginning.  Swedish, nice NATURAL physique.

Spike: how many people do you bullshit on a daily basis about how they can get as big as you...without telling em about...you know STEROIDS ?
And how do you explain to em that you had to use steroids because you were too insecure being smaller not using em?

it's only Your own opinion to think that everyone has insecurities requiring em to get "bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger" ... Some people just enjoy getting healthier and healthier ... sometimes i doubt you re a certified trainer, cause you obviously lack some basic psychological skills, at least when you bragg on the internet...

To me most meatheads like you discourage newcommers in the gym, they dont motivate em.  Basically you sound like the typical juiced certified trainer who sincerely despise newbies and laugh at em while training em while parading in the gym highfiving his fellow juiced gymrats friends .
You represent everything that is wrong with nowaday gym staffs. But hey, it wont prevent newbies from suscribing we all know that. It's the way it works.

Fortunately there are some humble and dedicated NATURAL personal trainers who are really compassionate about their customers and can use some psychology here and there instead of just bullshiting em. Must be a bore for em to work with people like you.

Who cares what your degrees or certificates are when we can hear you talk the way you do: you re obviously an asshole who seems to hate naturals with a passion for some reasons. Nobody aggressed you here in the first place, funny isnt it.

Regardless of who is using what, Spike is right about Crossfit being a fad although not very nice about it. 

While it may be great for people who want to get in shape, its counterproductive in building muscle mass.  The only way to build muscle mass is by lifting moderate to very heavy weight. 

When I train I stick to the basics...bench press, squat, deadlift, barbell curl, military press, dips, pull-ups, hyperextensions, skullcrushers and do them as heavy as possible.  I may incorporate some cable exercises down the road but I always...ALWAYS hit the basics FIRST. 

I understand where you're coming from Swedish but if you're wanting to get bigger, then you got to hit the iron hard and get some more calories in.  I read your website and the nutrition section and you're not getting in any carbohydrates at all which is detrimental.  Carbohydrates provide a ready energy source for the body but most importantly spares your protein intake so that it can be used to build muscle.  Otherwise, your body is using the protein for an energy source which limits your muscle gain.
A

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2009, 08:01:58 AM »

Regardless of who is using what, Spike is right about Crossfit being a fad although not very nice about it.  

While it may be great for people who want to get in shape, its counterproductive in building muscle mass.  The only way to build muscle mass is by lifting moderate to very heavy weight.  

When I train I stick to the basics...bench press, squat, deadlift, barbell curl, military press, dips, pull-ups, hyperextensions, skullcrushers and do them as heavy as possible.  I may incorporate some cable exercises down the road but I always...ALWAYS hit the basics FIRST.  

I understand where you're coming from Swedish but if you're wanting to get bigger, then you got to hit the iron hard and get some more calories in.  I read your website and the nutrition section and you're not getting in any carbohydrates at all which is detrimental.  Carbohydrates provide a ready energy source for the body but most importantly spares your protein intake so that it can be used to build muscle.  Otherwise, your body is using the protein for an energy source which limits your muscle gain.

Thanks for the input man...I don't do real well on carbs, but I pretty consistently put on size nonetheless.  Like I told spike and the other guys, if you'll refer back to my original posts, you'll see that I wholly admit it is a fad, and even say it will be 'the next big thing' in fitness-which I think we're all in agreement on.  Most people don't really want to get big these days or at the very least, they have other priorities.  That fact combined with the fact that every other fad has been literally AWFUL, whereas this one is a combination of basic exercises which you can tailor to your own level of fitness makes it better than the other fads out there, imo.  Saying that certain groups of people are going to get hurt by it and that it is too much for so and so is excluding the former.

*modified: I really don't do great on the carbs that you are likely referring to. I'm fine with fruits, best with things that are native to where I'm from.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2009, 08:29:21 AM »
Go back and read my first post!

Lawsuit alleges CrossFit workout damaging

By Bryan Mitchell - Staff writer
Posted : Tuesday Aug 19, 2008 7:23:51 EDT

MANASSAS, Va. — A lawsuit filed by a former sailor has raised concerns about the dangers of a workout regimen that is rapidly growing in popularity across the military.

The lawsuit, filed by former Information Systems Technician 1st Class Makimba Mimms in Prince William County, Va., Circuit Court late last year, seeks $500,000, as well as punitive damages, in connection with the permanent disability Mimms allegedly suffered as a result of performing the CrossFit workout under the direction of a trainer at a Manassas gym.

CrossFit, an intense strength and conditioning regimen, is practiced by thousands worldwide at dozens of ad-hoc clubs and is especially popular with military and law enforcement communities.

Neither CrossFit nor its founder, Greg Glassman, is listed as defendants in the lawsuit, but the word “CrossFit” appears dozens of times throughout the legal documents connected to the suit. Glassman could not be reached for comment.

The lawsuit is part of an emerging body of evidence that CrossFit may be damaging to participants’ health, perhaps even causing death — a possibility acknowledged by its founder as early as 2005.

Following a June story on the popularity of CrossFit in Military Times newspapers, Capt. Jonathan Picker, commander of the Navy’s Center for Personal and Professional Development, posted a story that raised concerns about CrossFit in the July issue of the center’s internal magazine.

“Several [experts] in the sports medicine field (military and civilian) have addressed a concern that the program has the potential for causing an increased incidence of musculoskeletal injuries and even muscle breakdown (rhabdomyoloysis) and therefore is not supported by [Navy Center for Personal and Professional Development],” the story states. “Granted, anyone can develop a program that’s very intense, but there’s a safer way of doing this for our sailors.” Picker could not be reached for comment.

Navy officials said studies are underway to examine CrossFit and its potential effects on service members, but those involved with the studies declined to discuss the specifics.

A section of Picker’s story was posted on a CrossFit Web site and subsequently mocked by some of CrossFit’s more strident advocates.

“You know what’s another excellent way to get a musculoskeletal injury?” one poster asked in reply to Picker’s assessment. “Getting shot because you can’t run fast enough with 50 [pounds] on your back!”

However, Glassman posted a warning on the CrossFit site in October 2005 labeled “CrossFit induced Rhabdo,” telling participants about the potential problems associated with the unforgiving workout, while Eugene Allen — a Washington State law enforcement officer who runs a CrossFit blog — posted an even less ambiguous warning in May 2005 titled “Killer Workouts.”

“With CrossFit, we are dealing with what is known as exertional rhabdomyolysis,” he wrote. “It can disable, maim and even kill.”

That’s what Mimms contends happened to him in one intense exercise session Dec. 11, 2005, in which, he said, he suffered injuries he has yet to recover from.

In the initial seven-page complaint filed Nov. 21, Mimms’ attorney, Phillip Walsh, contends that Manassas World Gym, Ruthless Training Concepts and Ruthless trainer Javier Lopez failed to exercise diligence before instructing an unprepared Mimms in performing CrossFit.

“The defendants, in concert with one another, entreated, promoted, encouraged and coached Mr. Mimms to perform and endure the extreme exertion prescribed by the CrossFit regimen,” court records state.

The suit claims Mimms suffered from rhabdomyolysis — which occurs when tiny shreds of muscle fiber are absorbed by the bloodstream and ultimately poison the kidneys — as a result of performing a CrossFit workout under the direction of Lopez, who worked as Ruthless Training Concepts trainer at the now-defunct Manassas World Gym.

Mimms, who was in the Navy for 11 years, got out in May and was not separated for medical reasons, declined to discuss the case, pending a trial slated to begin Oct. 6 in Manassas.

Lopez could not be reached for comment. However, statements made by Lopez to court officials during a pretrial deposition indicate he was aware that “people who perform too intensely perhaps can undergo this rhabdomyolysis,” he said.

Ruthless Training Concepts, as well as attorneys representing Ruthless and Manassas World Gym, declined to comment on the suit.

Several physicians, including Walter Reed Army Medical Center neurophysiologist Lt. Col. Mark Landau, concluded that Mimms suffered severe injuries following his intense CrossFit workout, according to court records.

The injuries included rhabdomyolysis, lumbosacral spine strain and strain of the bilateral quadriceps, according to court documents. As a result of these injuries, Mimms was incapacitated, lost time from work and required surgery, court records show.

“[He] endured great mental and physical pain, mental anguish and inconvenience,” court records state. “[He] has incurred and will in the future incur medical and related expenses, has sustained permanent disability.” The extent of his physical disability was not outlined in court documents.

Dr. Priscilla Clarkson of the University of Massachusetts contends that Lopez encouraged Mimms to perform exercises known to produce rhabdomyolysis. “Adequate precautions to prevent such a condition from occurring were not taken,” Clarkson wrote in documents prepared for the lawsuit.

Gray Cook, a physical therapist who consults with a host of NFL teams on strength and conditioning, said CrossFit is not dangerous unless performed by people not physically prepared for its intensity.

Cook stressed that he did not want to disparage CrossFit, and that the program has inherent benefits, such as keeping people active and preventing boredom by mixing up workouts. His concern is that novice participants don’t know what they’re getting into.

“Football players practice a lot more than they play for a reason,” Cook said. “You are not supposed to test drive the system as much as you tune it up.”

Mimms is certainly not the only service member to induce rhabdo with a strenuous workout. An article in the February/March 2008 issue of the Medical Surveillance Monthly Report, published by the Armed Forces Health Surveillance Center, indicates the ailment is on the rise across the services.

There were 114 cases of rhabdo across the military services in 2004, four of which required hospitalization. The number rose to 159 in 2007, including 34 that required hospital visits.

No individual cause is provided for the rise in the number of rhabdo cases, and CrossFit is not mentioned in the four-page article.

The article states that troops struck with rhabdo are more likely to be from Army and Marine units, that cases tend to occur in the summer, and that blacks and other nonwhite service members are at a higher risk of suffering from the ailment.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2009, 11:13:26 AM »

you talk like a 175lb twink

now if you read my previous post I have never denied being 'juiced' and I offer advice

I fckn trained college athletes for my internship - as a C.S.C.S. cert trainer (go look that up, dyck) - I believe crossfit is UNFIT for older adults 40+

Viking and me had a misunderstanding but we basically got on the same page - I respect his passion for fitness as I do anyone - I dont knock 'little guys' except when they talk outta their ass as you have just shown us

what I do is my OWN THING in regaurds to steroids, I won teen states and just stayed with it thru college, I trained with a pro (Mi.ke Vale.nti. no but we had a falling out) - if someone ask (albeit a dumb redneck kid, I tell them I take shit) - I juice to stay competitive not make myself feel better or whatever you have to tell yourself cause you cant afford gh/anabolics

I am a well respected personal trainer, I go to a gym as well as peoples houses, I kid no one who REALLY wants to know what it is I do - I train mostly females - 35-47yr old females - one is diabetic and a few are menopausal - I am educated and cert to do this shit - I just diagree with crossfit for SOME people - Viking do your thing bro he looks good, I knocked him but he knows his shit and I respect that

my whole point was crossfit doesnt have major INSURANCE coverage for a reason - it is unfit and VERY risky training for MOST OLDER SEMI ACTIVE ADULTS - it works for VIking obviously and props to him

but this whole "your a scumbag juicer who disrespects everyone" is BS ------  I dont sell nor condone the use of PEDs BUT if one of my clients needs advising I am well versed to do so

learn from your mistakes son :o

shout to Vince G - your in my book now brah - I will never knock you again cause you backed me ;)

uberman09

• Getbig IV
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 02:08:45 PM »
I guess you think that people who "weight" less than you are some kind of "untermenschen" right?  ;)

What when you wont be able to stay on the juice for some reasons later in your life and will have to shrink to a normal human size like us all again ?

Talk about being vain and not having a clue about life.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 02:44:22 PM »
I guess you think that people who "weight" less than you are some kind of "untermenschen" right?  ;)

What when you wont be able to stay on the juice for some reasons later in your life and will have to shrink to a normal human size like us all again ?

where do you get this from......I appreciate anyone who worksout at period....whose on off 'juice'.....my fckn degree is based on health and wellness, nutrition......anyone who prectices that I give respect

you sound mad cause you stared at my pics too long -- I am a competitive bodybuilder - what I do to stay on my level on comp has shit all to do with you and neither does it affect anyone around me....vain?how? I make peoples lives better thru fitness....I diet and do the things I tell them to do (not all year) but who the fck cares?

you are tryin to 'read' who I am and make me out to be some hardass walking around pushin guys like you outta my bar and being a dick in the gym.....I rock ed hardy t on weekends when I used to go out...I manage a bar on weekends so end to that shit

your the lil guy walking around with ILS and dollars to doughnuts you own a TAPOUT shirt and you call out anyone you think is a 'juicer'.....you'd luv my ass in your gym cause you would have someone to talk about and criticize all the time....your that I guy

FREAKgeek

• Getbig V
  • Fan of the Golden Era
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 03:32:03 PM »
I checked out the site. Crossfit is really not well defined. It's a large archive of continually growing number of exercises and routines that really doesn't address any specific purpose other than excelling at the workout itself. You can say it addresses generalized fitness - mostly muscular endurance, with aerobic and anaerobic benefits.  

Bodybuilding, traditionally, is almost entirely anaerobic, with the sole pursuit of muscular hypertrophy.

If your pursuit is optimal muscular gains, then it stands to reason that Crossfit would not be as effective or constitute a comparative replacement from orthodox BB'ing.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 03:50:33 PM »
I checked out the site. Crossfit is really not well defined. It's a large archive of continually growing number of exercises and routines that really doesn't address any specific purpose other than excelling at the workout itself. You can say it addresses generalized fitness - mostly muscular endurance, with aerobic and anaerobic benefits.  

Bodybuilding, traditionally, is almost entirely anaerobic, with the sole pursuit of muscular hypertrophy.

If your pursuit is optimal muscular gains, then it stands to reason that Crossfit would not be as effective or constitute a comparative replacement from orthodox BB'ing.

let alone working out to be safe and refrain from injury - prevent heart disease and metabolic disorders

kimura

• Getbig III
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2009, 05:01:39 PM »
I am not sure what it is about that training, but CrossFit makes men look like twinks and women look awesome.  Take a look at the CrossFit site or go to a local CrossFit gym.  The woman look fantastic and the men look like prisoners of war.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2009, 06:33:40 PM »

Another judgemental, self righteous, condescending, angry guy, who needs to tell people how they should live their lives.  ::)  Like they have it all figured out and we should all follow their lead. LOL

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2009, 06:38:17 PM »
where do you get this from......I appreciate anyone who worksout at period....

Maybe from this?

Y

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
Maybe from this?

Thats out of context ape, the guy attacked Spike out of the blue.

Spike

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Kill your ego
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »
Maybe from this?

1.a.  I guess you think that people who "weight" less than you are some kind of "untermenschen" right?  ;)

2.a.  What when you wont be able to stay on the juice for some reasons later in your life
and will have to shrink to a normal human size like us all again ?

3.a.   Talk about being vain
and not having a clue about life.

I never disrepected him in a way that would lead him to believe this:

1. he talked out of his ass so I said he sounded like 175lb twink i.e. the kid who walks around acting like a hardass and pugnacious as fck

2. staying on juice later in my life?  kid is judging me right there - which leads back to wear do you get this from - when have I mentioned my plains for my later life, they dont include PEDs and I;m fckn 26 - sure I want to be this big the rest of my life ::)   just right now and things the way they are - it works and its relatively easy, let alone it makes my job better/easier - people listen in regards to training if you walk the walk.......

3. when do I sound vain?  once again judging me, if anything I settled this little fck down with m y eariler post then his judgmental ass comes out of east jesus nowhere with his rants

- totally unfounded and unsubstantiated claims :-*

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2009, 04:27:35 AM »
I was only kidding, Spike.  The exchange between you and SV was actually a really good read.  You both know your stuff.
Y

Rome

• Getbig IV
  • Pics or GTFO!
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 08:28:13 AM »
Cross fit is good for an occasional change up but because it's done so quickly, an experienced lifter with 3 or more years under his belt will NOT build a lot of size or strength. It's more endurance and cardiovascular.
Plus I've seen some really SLOPPY  pull up form in some of those videos  :-\

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2009, 08:34:53 AM »

...at which point, interested parties will be able to purchase an all-in-one CrossFit Kit from your bottom shelf at a fraction of the price of your competitors.   ::)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2009, 09:10:40 AM »
Look people, for the most part and from what I've seen, crossfit is mostly held in peoples garages or back yards. If you look at the crossfit protocol (if you know anything about athletic type training) it's very injury prone protocol. I've done alot of research on crossfit and even most of the instructors are not very experienced let alone qualified to teach training mechanics or progressive conditioning.

ManBearPig...

• Getbig V
  • Professional Fighter
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2009, 11:02:53 AM »
all i know is, the quote function is being fucking raped in this thread.
Deep Tissue Massage

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
yes