Author Topic: Why do the magazines' place emphasis on ridiculous training programmes?  (Read 6830 times)

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
Re: Why do the magazines' place emphasis on ridiculous training programmes?
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2009, 04:11:11 AM »
D, we all get frustrated.  If you're going to hinge your decision to continue to work out on improvements made week by week, then you're going to lose interest.  You're not going to get stronger and bigger every single workout.  Some days you'll be tired, dehydrated, unmotivated, or just unable to find your zone.  The trick is not to convince yourself that there's something wrong with you or your training just because you don't look like a competitive bodybuilder.  Without drugs, no one looks like that.

Most important is that you find a training plan that you enjoy and look forward to.  If a full body workout is too much to face up to, and it has been for me in the past, then split it up.  Avoid ego lifting and injury, and take satisfaction in knowing that you are doing the right thing for your health (including what you choose to eat).

Fwiw, I think Kiwi made some good points.  A beginner's gains will slow down drastically, but there's no such thing as a permanent plateau imo.  Besides, what if Kiwi is wrong?  Does that mean you should stop training when you look, feel, and perform as well as you ever have and slide back into unfitness?

Find a workout plan you enjoy and make it part of your life.  The improvements will take care of themselves.  And don't go around rubbing castor oil on your balls or believeing everything you read on the internet.  ;)

Did you throw a spider on that crazy bitch yet?
No doubt about it...

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2009, 04:20:50 AM »
No you nimrod. Ronnie Coleman weighed about 200 lb or so when he started lifting and weighed 330 lb at his peak, which is 130 lb of gain. I was about 140 lb when I started lifting at 15 and was 220 lb 2 years ago, when I was 31. I was also about 20% bodyfat, which mean I'd have stepped onstage around 160 - 170 lb if I was competing.

If you think a guy can't weigh 170 lb onstage at 5'8"+ naturally, that's fine - just don't act like you know what you are talking about cause you clearly don't.

You never went from 140 to 220. Live with it. Fantasy island.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2009, 04:23:38 AM »
I don't like these threads about "what is or isn't possible for a nattie", "How big can I get...?" etc etc.

I'm not sure what level you're at and I'm not sure about you attitude.

You laugh at Kiwi, but this guy is a serious lifter who throughout the years has seemingly enjoyed training and made good gains.  Not sure why you say he is deluded for gaining 80lbs??  That's 80lbs over an 18 year period, that's what - just over 4 pounds (on average) gained per year trained. WHAT'S SO HARD TO BELIEVE ABOUT THAT?  

Since I began training I've put on 55lbs, and I'm still quite a long way from where I wana be. When I'm there, I guess I'll have gained 70lbs or so from my starting point. But I will get there I have no doubt about that.

You can't always pay people like Sevastase too much mind...I just read what he recommended you to do, and if he does that....He really doesn't train very hard at all - and I would strongly advise you not to follow that particular plan.
You are simply an idiot. Period.

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2009, 04:24:38 AM »
???

Pics, or you fantasy claims did not occur.

kiwiol

• Getbig V
  • Who is John Galt?
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:03 AM »
Pics, or you fantasy claims did not occur.

Why would I have pics of you blowing another guy ???

Determinator

• Getbig IV
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2009, 04:28:25 AM »
Pretty much same for me, after 3 years natural i wasn't going anywhere (juiced after 4 for 4 years)

I tried a lot of things like lower volume to recover more but at that point it all dried up

Gear will help hold muscle when dieting but you will still lose some, i stay very lean nowadays, pretty much contest lean, i don't look massive with a shirt on, if i ever blow up even 5-10 pounds it is very noticeable, that's basically the sacrifice you have to be that lean, if you want to walk around 'massive' put on 20 pounds but you won't look as impressive underneath, maybe just bigger with a shirt on (the general public has no idea however).

Look at Sev's physique when he is at his biggest, great abs, not a massive guy but he could walk around bigger and less cut like a lot of permabulkers do. I think those guys would be suprised how much they would have to lose to actually be lean.

increasing your calories over what you burn will put on some fat whether it be clean or not

After the natural gains dry up you will gain more maturity and quality but that's it, it's the same for long term juicers really like Dex or Priest, Dex though seemed to gain a little bit in the last 10 years.

I am replying like Sev did i thought it was very readable  ;D

A good, true reply.

just_a_pilgrim

• Getbig IV
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2009, 04:33:29 AM »
A good, true reply.

:D
Actually i take back the part about not looking massive in shirts. When i wear a tight shirt i get asked how many steroids i am on. Happened numerous times lately.

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:59 AM »
you be wrong ,i could care less btw,and no i keep to myself.just an observation and insight into overtraining.oh by btw u really hooked me red...

personally I prefer volume training my self, if I feel particular exercise "feels right" at that given moment I may do countless sets.  Generally I prefer more sets and less stations. But I would agree with you on keeping it under 50 minutes.

drop set and super sets are great for speeding things up. As of recently I am doing  more and more pre-exhaustion.  I usually do flies or "pec dec" first thing on chest days now.

I

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2009, 06:36:47 AM »
personally I prefer volume training my self, if I feel particular exercise "feels right" at that given moment I may do countless sets.  Generally I prefer more sets and less stations. But I would agree with you on keeping it under 50 minutes.

drop set and super sets are great for speeding things up. As of recently I am doing  more and more pre-exhaustion.  I usually do flies or "pec dec" first thing on chest days now.

I AGREE,,your post is what i follow on most days .mix it up ,i only questioned 20/25 set for chest for these 2 individuals that day,i don't even speak or know them.but a chest/tri day for me is probably 20/25 total for both bodyparts.

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #60 on: September 09, 2009, 07:12:54 AM »

I just recomended him what I think would serve him best

But for bitches like you who talk without knowing, I would take you to the gym and slap you around a bit

I am waiting for your videos or pics you butt pirate  :D

Lol @ butt pirate.

I don't think anyone here has ever disputed that you were once a strong guy.
With reference to training hard, you know I was referring to the plan you gave Determinator not the the impressive squat and bench vids when u were on drugs.

Per Se

• Getbig III
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2009, 07:19:44 AM »
You are simply an idiot. Period.

I genuinely don't understand why you called me an idiot?

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
« Reply #62 on: September 09, 2009, 07:25:49 AM »
I genuinely don't understand why you called me an idiot?

if you don't get it then you trully are one ;)

wild willie

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 09, 2009, 07:40:14 AM »
The truth is this, magazines have always exaggerated the routines of the champs. Strydom, Williams, Arnold, Haney......at some point you will hear all the greats mention that their routines are not the same as the ones reported in the magazines.

Strydom has said that his routine has been inacurately reported over the years.
You do see all these routines with heavy weight, forced reps, drop sets, crazy number of sets.......it is all hog wash! Arnold never liked barbell rows, Yates never cared for regular barbell squats.......MANY OF THE CHAMPS DETEST THE BENCH PRESS......yet in every training article you read, it is stated that you must use bench for chest, squats for legs, deadlifts for back,ect......

The magazines would have you believe that Arnie trained all friggin day......Mentzer had a completely different diet than you would expect to see in the magazines.

They also love to advertise all these miracle supplements........rubbi sh.......maybe a protein powder, but not these ridiculous fat burners and pro hormones.......utter nonsense.

Many champs that I have met always say that the magazines don't always give you a true understanding of what they actually do in the gym or at the dinner table. If you want to see the champs as they truly train, go watch a live workout, or buy a battle for the olympia dvd.