Author Topic: Do you ever feel completely out of touch?  (Read 4468 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Do you ever feel completely out of touch?
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:10:54 PM »
A couple years ago I had the TV on (don’t watch much TV) and the Grammy award show was on.  It was near the end of the broadcast, and they were naming the album/song of the year.  When the winners were announced, I had never heard the song before or heard of the group that won--or the nominees for that matter.  I used to be on top of that stuff when I was a kid. :-[

The other day, I was walking through the supermarket check out and on the magazine/tabloid covers I see stories about a couple named John and Kate.  Apparently, they have (had?) a TV show I have never seen and millions of people watch it.  Then they broke up and that too is now a big deal.  One of them was on Good Morning America today… with more interviews to come.  I was like, "huh?  Never heard of them." ::)

Lately, I've been hearing buzz about a show called the Bachelor (a spinoff of another show called the Bachelorette?)  I think I saw a clip of the show once.  Something about giving a rose to the person you like in order to advance to the next elimination round?  People are entertained by this? ???  Isn't this just a variation on Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire... that old FOX show?  Maybe I am old but it all seemed pretty stupid to me.   :-[

But who am I to judge?  I enjoy looking at roided muscle men flexing for entertainment.  ;D

Purge_WTF

Re: Do you ever feel completely out of touch?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 02:03:16 PM »
  "Anyone who misses out on today's pop culture isn't really missing much."
                                                                                                              --Me

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:17:52 PM »
                                                                                                              --Me

Word!  :D

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:29 PM »
                                                                                                              --Me

x2

I remember when the MTV Music Awards were a show to watch, pure entertainment and you never knew what would happen. Everyone would curse and say the stuff they wanted.
Now, i don't even know the bands anymore, and everything is scripted, even the "unexpected" things happening. There's more commercials than actual show.

Someone remember Kurt Cobain's ugly wife throwing things at Madonna while she was getting interviewed? That wasn't staged.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 06:26:02 PM »
                                                                                                              --Me
great quote.. hahaha, true.

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 04:56:43 AM »
A couple years ago I had the TV on (don’t watch much TV) and the Grammy award show was on.  It was near the end of the broadcast, and they were naming the album/song of the year.  When the winners were announced, I had never heard the song before or heard of the group that won--or the nominees for that matter.  I used to be on top of that stuff when I was a kid. :-[

The other day, I was walking through the supermarket check out and on the magazine/tabloid covers I see stories about a couple named John and Kate.  Apparently, they have (had?) a TV show I have never seen and millions of people watch it.  Then they broke up and that too is now a big deal.  One of them was on Good Morning America today… with more interviews to come.  I was like, "huh?  Never heard of them." ::)

Lately, I've been hearing buzz about a show called the Bachelor (a spinoff of another show called the Bachelorette?)  I think I saw a clip of the show once.  Something about giving a rose to the person you like in order to advance to the next elimination round?  People are entertained by this? ???  Isn't this just a variation on Who Wants to Marry a Millionaire... that old FOX show?  Maybe I am old but it all seemed pretty stupid to me.   :-[

But who am I to judge?  I enjoy looking at roided muscle men flexing for entertainment.  ;D

Look at me, I post videos of Glenn Gould...

Although I like to go to the gym, I have a modest home gym for when I want to hear something worthwhile while working out.

brooklynbruiser

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 11:53:05 AM »
Glenn Gould and Bay saying, 'Word!' are two things I didn't expect in this thread!

Yeah, Bay, music sucks and as long as the younger crowd are running things, it will continue to degenerate into bloodsport, sex, and spectacle. The older talent and movers die everyday, leaving us with kids running things that are a mere rehash of things that they themselves watched rehashed in the culture of their childhood. Since the 90s, we've been in this weird loop of repeating and 'reinventing' anytime from the 50s to the 90s. This essentially guarantees that we will be blithering idiots in the future as progress will consist of repeating the last generation of previously repeated entertainment and thought.

Eh...I ramble. GET OFF MY LAWN!
Almost always, yes.

MB_722

• Getbig V
  • RIP Keith
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 06:04:05 PM »
yes I do. It's no big deal.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 06:11:55 PM »
Branch Warren clearly dominating in the glutes department. Jehwit is pleased.
follow the arrows

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2009, 07:31:18 PM »
that may not have been a Glenn Gould performance, but it was certainly 'good as gould"

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2009, 10:17:02 PM »
x2

I remember when the MTV Music Awards were a show to watch, pure entertainment and you never knew what would happen. Everyone would curse and say the stuff they wanted.
Now, i don't even know the bands anymore, and everything is scripted, even the "unexpected" things happening. There's more commercials than actual show.

Someone remember Kurt Cobain's ugly wife throwing things at Madonna while she was getting interviewed? That wasn't staged.

Madonna kissing Britney and Christina was the highlight of everyone of those shows :)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2009, 03:46:50 AM »
It's just the cynic in us (or you). I pay attention, just to keep myself up to date and not embarass myself. I have one friend who says, "Why should I keep track of them (celebs, athletes), they don't keep track of me!", and to a point I agree.

ksa_triceps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 05:02:21 AM »
It's just the cynic in us (or you). I pay attention, just to keep myself up to date and not embarass myself. I have one friend who says, "Why should I keep track of them (celebs, athletes), they don't keep track of me!", and to a point I agree.

haha. i totally agree with him.. i always flip at women that write on their fb for example  "i wanna marry/sleep with x celebrity"

you have to give them the "if x celeb saw you in the street, would he look twice at you, if even once?"

i lose respect and laugh at men who follow hollywood/music gossip anyway.

Purge_WTF

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 01:48:18 PM »
that may not have been a Glenn Gould performance, but it was certainly 'good as gould"

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2009, 08:34:35 PM »
I was more in touch with things when I had students.  The kids used to keep me in the loop.  Just overhearing casual conversation was enough to do it... now, I don't know what's up.  :-[

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2009, 12:47:24 AM »
haha. i totally agree with him.. i always flip at women that write on their fb for example  "i wanna marry/sleep with x celebrity"

you have to give them the "if x celeb saw you in the street, would he look twice at you, if even once?"
i lose respect and laugh at men who follow hollywood/music gossip anyway.

Or, "would sleep with him, if was still a waiter and not a celeb"

kills it right there
I was more in touch with things when I had students.  The kids used to keep me in the loop.  Just overhearing casual conversation was enough to do it... now, I don't know what's up.  :-[

never keep yourself out of the loop. ALthough, I am talking to this 22 yr old, and all she does is twitter all day, and everything is "Trey Songz this and Trey Songz that", she has no job, and there is a disconnect because, that is all she does all day, but i keep up with the current events, because I don't wann be like R. Kelly and date myself.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2009, 06:12:14 AM »
If not knowing the latest on Trey Songz and Jon and Kate means I'm out of the loop, then I'm content to be out of the loop.  ::)

Unless it has bulging muscles and is wearing a thong then I am not interested.  ;D