Author Topic: BB contests are fixed and it is all politics? Come on!  (Read 9764 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
BB contests are fixed and it is all politics? Come on!
« on: September 09, 2009, 03:33:18 PM »
I have been an active NPC judge for many years now and was an AAU national judge before that.  I was never an IFBB pro judge however,so I don't have personal experience at that level.  One myth that remains constant is the idea that BB contests are "fixed" and it is all political, etc.

Think about something for minute. Do you really think that the judges meet in some secret room and come up with some grand conspiracy over who wins/places in a contest?

The majority of contests don't involve $$$$, therefor, what would the incentive be for any judge to fix a contest. Plus, at EVERY contests, the highest and lowest placement is thrown out before the middle scores/placements get avg ( lowest placement wins 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc). To really "fix" a contest, would require some guy /girl to "buy off" the majority of judges. Even pro meets don't involve really big $$ or incentives for a judge to fix the show.

Folks it isn't that big a mystery .

The reason why we often question a judging call is simple. It is due to a lack of consistant, objective judging standards that are recognized and 100% adopted by each and every judge, bodybuilder and fan. The real problem isn't politics but a lack of adherence to consistant, objective rules and standards to judge and run a BB contest by.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
Re: BB contests are fixed and it is all politics?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:06 PM »
Howard,Howard,Howard! :)

spinnis

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 03:36:55 PM »
you have stars?!?!?

prove it.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »
Lets ask Chick 8)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 03:43:01 PM »
Lets ask Chick 8)

Chick will tell ya the same basic thing. Of course he just a pawn of big $$ BB right? yeah right, geeeesh.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »

Ok since we all know the results, we can all move on and avoid the hassle of having the contest.
Thanks for telling us how it all works.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 03:46:27 PM »
Ok since we all know the results, we can all move on and avoid the hassle of having the contest.
Thanks for telling us how it all works.

don't hate the player, hate the game    ;D

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 03:48:41 PM »

Like I said, I have direct personal experience with judging at pro events. having said that, I seriously doubt that some elaborate conspiracy like you laid out is why the guys place as they do. hehe

What about at some NPC Mr Podunk where some geek gets 6th out of 7 guys and thinks that judges who don't even know him were all out to screw him over???

Albert Schmidt

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2009, 03:49:34 PM »
Next you will have us believe that they are Drug Tested and Drug Free.Wake up and smell the coffee.

tendonitis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2009, 03:52:17 PM »
Like I said, I have direct personal experience with judging at pro events. having said that, I seriously doubt that some elaborate conspiracy like you laid out is why the guys place as they do. hehe

What about at some NPC Mr Podunk where some geek gets 6th out of 7 guys and thinks that judges who don't even know him were all out to screw him over???

we'll find out in two weeks how close Special Ed's predictions are

I believe the 07 Olympia debacle clearly shows that the Olympia is fixed.  The Mr. Olympia contest is nothing but an AMI marketing tool.

Albert Schmidt

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2009, 04:03:36 PM »
I have stood on stage and could hear the head judge saying to the judges that I Don't win.I was outspoken about the Org so guess who got 2nd that day?Yep me.I tell most people that if they have 7 judges just hope 4 like you.Most BB shows have their Favs fact and if you train in the Promoters Gym big PLUS PLUS PLUS.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 04:03:48 PM »

You are right about the judges not being consistent though too.  At my first show we were told at the athletes meeting that they were NOT looking for muscle.  They said they did NOT want the figure girls out there flexing, they were looking for a softer look (this is before bikini).   With that said, me and all but one girl stood up there trying to look softer, not flexing or tightening our legs and arms.  There was one girl out there who was though, and guess what, not only did she win the class but she won the over all.  The judges picked the hardest and most muscular girl out there.  The following show (with all the same judges) I said screw it and stood on stage as hard/tight as I could and guess what type won that show?  A girl who looked like she hadn't touched a weight in her life.  

Until they come up with a format of exactly what they are looking for in each division instead of "what catches their eye that day" they will always be accused of fixing the shows or being political instead of fair.  <shrugs>
:D Weee

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 04:13:16 PM »
Like I said, I have direct personal experience with judging at pro events.

So we should trust you? We should expect you to be unbiased?  ::)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:08 PM »

I agree with most of your post , the problem is bodybuilding is such a self centered sport and when you have everyone fluffing up how great you are and how much better you are it's extremely hard for people to hear they're not the best hence the contest was a fix , I was screwed over , the judges like this guy better , etc

it's very improbable contests are fixed you'd have to pay off a lot of judges in order to do so

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2009, 04:55:10 PM »
Its always "politics" to those who didnt win.....works better than the inevitable "couldn't be that I just wasnt good enough....naaaaaaah"

io856

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
I'm so sick of people calling bbing contests fixed on here... oh yes its drama I suppose...  ::) yes Joe Weider chooses the Mr Olympia...  ::)

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2009, 05:07:14 PM »
I'm so sick of people calling bbing contests fixed on here... oh yes its drama I suppose...  ::) yes Joe Weider chooses the Mr Olympia...  ::)

Got that right...If Joe was picking winners (or anyone lese for that matter)...having 3 guys winning 22 years worth of Olympia's would have to be the dumbest business move of all time...

Haney
Yates
Coleman

io856

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2009, 05:11:02 PM »
Why would Victor Martinez win the Arnold Classic just days after bad press? Yes, great "business move"  ::)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2009, 05:12:55 PM »
If contests were fixed Lee Labrada would've be a multiple Mr Olympia winner , he was everything to market , handsome , classic physique , ' attainable ' physique , educated , well spoken , family man , etc

contests aren't fixed excuses are for guys who can't look inward

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2009, 05:15:13 PM »
Why would Victor Martinez win the Arnold Classic just days after bad press? Yes, great "business move"  ::)

You're making my point...it wasnt a great business move, it was the best physique on the stage.

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
Got that right...If Joe was picking winners (or anyone lese for that matter)...having 3 guys winning 22 years worth of Olympia's would have to be the dumbest business move of all time...

Haney
Yates
Coleman

why would that be such a dumb business move?

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

Because having the same guy winning year after year after year doesnt do anything for the business of bodybuilding, or selling tickets, etc....if it were set up or pre-determined, then I would hope the PTB could have come up with much smarter results....

Thus the point of contests NOT being fixed....

io856

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
having a contest where the Mr Olympia seems predetermined every year does not gather interest and speculation... whats the topics of discussion? the lower placings, the potential condition of the incumbent(pun intended) etc etc... rather than who is taking the sandow ala 2008,2009 Olympia interest

remember after the 2006 Olympia... the fans where so excited...

IronMagazine.com

• Getbig IV
  • IronMag Bodybuilding Blog Online Since 2001
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 05:41:51 PM »
Because having the same guy winning year after year after year doesnt do anything for the business of bodybuilding, or selling tickets, etc....if it were set up or pre-determined, then I would hope the PTB could have come up with much smarter results....

how would having new Mr. Olympia's every year make the sport more profitable?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 05:44:22 PM »
I find it amazing that your opinion is that bodybuilding contests are fixed.  Come on...

As photographers, we ourselves try to figure out who is the best on stage on that day, and guess what - most of the time, we differ. Yep, sometimes it is very easy to tell, but many times, I have someone in second or third, and someone else has them vice versa, and others have them different.

Bodybuilding is a subjective sport. You don't have a clear cut way. Someone may think that the overall physique is better than just the one who is the most muscular. Someone may like the conditioning on another, while another prefers symmetry.  That is why you have a lot of judges per show.  

Forget about it. They are not fixed. I have been to a ton of show, and no matter what, whoever comes in second or third or worse, complains about how they should of been higher. We hear it all the time.