Author Topic: New York City...gyms  (Read 3970 times)

dov

• Getbig IV
New York City...gyms
« on: September 10, 2009, 12:09:27 PM »
I'm taking a trip to teh big city in Oct...for those of you familiar with it, what is the one thing I HAVE to see or do while visiting? This is a vacation, so I have plenty of time/opportunity....I like good food and beer....please, only serious replies, no gay shit. Oh yeah, BODYBUILDING, THONGZ, OILZ, STRIATIONZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
Re: New York City...gyms
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:44 PM »
well ... since you are in my part of the world ..

Empire State Building ...awesome view ..but!!! You can go to the 80th floor for 20 buck or you can go to the top top for another 20 bucks. I had a cousin with me and she wanted to see the top top. We go up there and its totally inside and crammed. Then we looked at the 80th floor and it was the same view but outside and alot of room. Definitely see it though.

Central Park ... might sound gay but if you need a place to get a run/cardio in or just want to walk somewhere that isn't a busy sidewalk then this is the place, sooo many girls there all the time and check with NYC.com they will tell you whats going on at the time.

Ground Zero ... take a look at some big hole in the ground that dickheads made and dickheads cant fix...its crazy thinking how big an area it is. Century21 is a dept. store with super cheap prices on luxury brands. If your with a lady friend or have to buy something go there.

Nightlife...are you a bar person or a club person . I could go on for days with this, so i'll wait for your reply.

Time Square gives you alot to look at but its soooo crowded, bad food/restaurants, and its basically a tourist trap. But it is something to see.

Where you staying at bro ?
L

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 12:17:57 PM »
THERE IS A CRUNCH,EQUINOX FITNESS ON ALMOST EVERY CORNER.HARDCORE GYM TRAVEL TO SYOSSETT TO BEV FRANCIS'S AND WEINBERGERS GYM ,U MIGHT SEE SOME PROS THERE.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2009, 12:22:25 PM »
If you don't want to pay (who does), just tell gyms that your in town finalizing paperwork on a transfer to NYC and that you are looking for a club to sign up for and if possible if you can work out there for the day.

If you really want to go to a great gym, then go to BOB BONHAMS Strong and Shapely in East Rutherford, I have never been there but BOB post here all the time and has offered me a chance to lift there. If you want to we could go at the same day...
L

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »
go to gold's gym around times square. go into the subway sandwich shop right next door, they used to have coupons for free workouts.
F

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 01:10:01 PM »
There are a few good hardcore gyms right in the city, and you can get a free pass for a day or three at most.

-Mid-City Gym is the classic old-skool gym. Draper used to train there once in a while before moving to Cali in the 60s.

-19th street gym at 22 W 19th between 5th and 6th. One of my faves, i recommend it.

-Steel Gym on 23rd between 6th and 7th, closer to 7th. Good gym.

-14th street gym between 5th and 6th.

-Gold's, around Times Square.

-Best gym to me is David Barton at 23rd and 7th if you can handle the gay clientele.

-Bev Francis is worth visiting, outside the city.

-Central Park on weekend afternoons until late, if the weather's good is a must-rent a bike or blades, run, etc. and good people watching for sure. Same thing weekdays but much quieter.

-Best places to sit down and people watch - Union Square, places like Coffee Shop, Blue Water Grill and Union Square Cafe, etc with good food and outdoor seating. Also upper west side on Broadway in the 60s across from Lincoln Center.

Tom Mutaffis

• Getbig II
  • Strongman
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
I would say that the most well known bodybuilding gym is this one:

http://bevfrancis.com/

There are a couple of Pro's who train there but I have never been there myself.

If you wanted to go over to Jersey then Strong & Shapely in Rutherford or Diamond Gym in Maplewood are both well known bodybuilding gyms.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Bev Francis is not in NYC, but 40 minutes out on Long Island.   While its easy to take the train to Syosset, then you got to take a taxi to the gym.  a bit easier to get to the New Jersey gyms.

There is also Steel Gym on 23rd between 6th and 7th.  David Barton Gym in the old YMCA also on 23rd is another.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 01:42:31 PM »
Bev Francis is not in NYC, but 40 minutes out on Long Island.   While its easy to take the train to Syosset, then you got to take a taxi to the gym.  a bit easier to get to the New Jersey gyms.

There is also Steel Gym on 23rd between 6th and 7th.  David Barton Gym in the old YMCA also on 23rd is another.

Barton gym is the best in the city IMO, for those who don't have a problem with the gay vibe. Worked out there with my gf about a month ago. Some trivia: that Y from the old days was the one on which the Village People song was based. I used to stay at the great Chelsea Hotel across the street from it in the late 70s.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 01:44:51 PM »
David Barton gym is like walking into a gay club... there is club music blasting, lots of gays and metro's, hot ass 6ft girls but definitley no chalk, lifting straps, belts ect.... but amenities wise ..TOP NOTCH ... State of the Art everything.
L

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 01:48:09 PM »
David Barton gym is like walking into a gay club... there is club music blasting, lots of gays and metro's, hot ass 6ft girls but definitley no chalk, lifting straps, belts ect.... but amenities wise ..TOP NOTCH ... State of the Art everything.

Barton himself is seriously jacked, and is married to one of NYC's top club promoters. My gf and I agreed this might be the best club we've worked out at.

They just opened a similar club/spa in Miami. Here's the vid, with Tommy Lee one of the DJs.

Barton at the new Barton gym in NYC:

definitley no chalk, lifting straps, belts ect....

Easy enough to bring your own, i've never relied on a club for straps or belts.

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 01:56:02 PM »
Barton himself is seriously jacked, and is married to one of NYC's top club promoters. My gf and I agreed this might be the best club we've worked out at.

what's the saying?   married, but not dead.

David Barton gym is like walking into a gay club

what's gay about this?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 01:57:26 PM »
what's the saying?   married, but not dead.

what's gay about this?

lol i was in that sauna, it's for both sexes. :D

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 02:06:48 PM »
David Barton long long long ago

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 02:31:32 PM »
Find out where Kai trains could be interesting this close to the O

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »

Who the hell wants to take a subway, train and then a Taxi to hit a freakin gym?  sounds like a lotta work to me.

JaeJonna has the right idea.  Google a shitload of gyms in the area and hit one up each day while you are here.

That's what i did when I moved out west...i worked out for free for over a month at various gyms until I found the one I liked

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:33:59 PM »
what's the saying?   married, but not dead.

what's gay about this?

Married but not buried I believe is the saying ;) That Burton dude looks shorter then Lee Priest :o

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2009, 12:44:32 AM »
NYSC in Timesquare. Chef Timmy's homebase. It's on 52nd and Broadway. There's a gentlemans club right across the street. All the strippers train at the gym. Ask for Chef. DB's only go up to 120. But it's easily the best gym in NYC.

thanks, I will be there on Friday after work around 6pm getting my pre-club chest and bi work out.

I

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2009, 01:39:25 AM »
NYSC in Timesquare.  it's easily the best gym in NYC.

Not even close - I was a member of that highly commercial, mainstream chain, and it's not even the best in that niche, Chelsea Piers is. Plus if i'm gonna visit a new city surely i want to see more than yet another same ol same ol Mcdonald's type commercial gym that looks just like the last one in another city. Boring an unspecial not to mention a fairly low standard to aim for on a BB board.

Anyone with imagination and higher standards should start with non-cookie cutter indie gyms specific to that city, not only because they're more unique but because they're oftentimes just better.

Exactly why googling gyms is cute but essentially lazy unless you're willing and have the time to tromp to each one-googling doesn't provide insights it's just lists with little to go on for the reader.

Haven't been to the Francis gym but i'll have to make the effort just or this reason, it's special and should be experienced i sense.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 02:14:34 AM »
dov,

you should definitley workout at the Equinox on Greenwich street

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »

btw, this is a picture of what the New York City Fitness Industry is

I started off as a trainer in NYC before i moved to albany

Now, I was kind of tame compared to the rest of the trainers cuz everyone was very "colorful" and "vibrant" (looks wise).  Seriously, it was like a Benneton ad where i worked

However, now i'm like the most "out there" trainer in the gym i work at now

just goes to show you that 125 miles really does make a huge difference

PS- David Barton is a notorious Hot-Head with a temper that makes up for his height

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 02:53:22 AM »

btw, this is a picture of what the New York City Fitness Industry is

I started off as a trainer in NYC before i moved to albany

Now, I was kind of time when i was a trainer cuz everyone was very "colorful" and "vibrant" (looks wise).  Seriously, it was like a Benneton ad where i worked

However, now i'm like the most "out there" trainer in the gym i work at now

just goes to show you that 125 miles really does make a huge difference

PS- David Barton is a notorious Hot-Head with a temper that makes up for his height
he's getting better at staying calm

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 03:13:14 AM »
he's getting better at staying calm

I met him once in South Miami Beach, while his gym there was still under construction...

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2009, 03:16:35 AM »
I met him once in South Miami Beach, while his gym there was still under construction...

Pretty weak there tim. If you met him, spill it or don't bring it up.

crg

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2009, 09:57:17 AM »
If you want to see victor martinez train then go to steel gym thats where he goes golds gym on 54st is good too he also trains their occasionally but lately he  has been training at steel gym