Author Topic: How did this man never become Mr Olympia?  (Read 14917 times)

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
  • Go back to making jewelry and cakes with your girl
Re: How did this man never become Mr Olympia?
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
IMO the Olympia title is a character award and Shawn nd Flex just had a type of personality the IFBB may have not wanted to represent the top title of bodybuilding.  I easily predicted Ronnies first win for this reason.....he was a cop and allegedly known to be natural.   

Shawn had the perfect personality for an Olympia winner , smart , articulate , handsome , awesome physique .

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
when I saw the title thought this thread was going to be about Edgar Fletcher.

he is the greatest non-pro of all time.

No, Sean Allen is.  :P

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2009, 05:09:34 PM »
They don't favor short guys for the Olympia, everything else equal.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2009, 05:10:04 PM »
He had no flaws?, yeh he was smaller then Yates, but Yates had flaws..

RASICS

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2009, 05:56:59 PM »
Sean was into trannies and BB was something he did to impress the G4P crowd.  For a midget he looked awesome.
No Worries 4 me

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »
in 1994 Shawn was 205 pounds Dorian was 262 pounds that's a whopping 57 pound advantage in dense muscular bulk that's a massive ( no pun ) deficit to try and overcome

Actually ND, that's not a 57 pound advantage when you factor in the height difference. Shawn was 5'6"-5'7"  and Dorian 5'10"-5'11". Each inch of height equals to about 10 pounds more on the scale, meaning if Shawn were 3-4" taller, he would have weighed 30-40 pounds more, bringing his weight up to 235-245 pounds in 1994 and therefore, Dorian only would have had between 17-27 pounds on him. Really surprised you failed to take this into account ND.

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2009, 09:34:33 PM »

Dorian wasn't even close to being 262 pounds in 1996. He claimed to be in his mid 250's, but I believe he was less. He looked FAR thinner than his 1993 physique, where he supposedly weighed the same.

WillGrant

• Getbig V
  • Ron is Watching
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:28 PM »

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
when I saw the title thought this thread was going to be about Edgar Fletcher.

he is the greatest non-pro of all time.

X2

KevinP85

• Getbig IV
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2009, 10:57:49 PM »
They don't favor short guys for the Olympia, everything else equal.

They sure did with Dexter.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2009, 03:52:25 AM »
Actually ND, that's not a 57 pound advantage when you factor in the height difference. Shawn was 5'6"-5'7"  and Dorian 5'10"-5'11". Each inch of height equals to about 10 pounds more on the scale, meaning if Shawn were 3-4" taller, he would have weighed 30-40 pounds more, bringing his weight up to 235-245 pounds in 1994 and therefore, Dorian only would have had between 17-27 pounds on him. Really surprised you failed to take this into account ND.

I'm not. the man doesn't have a clue. ::)
Flower Boy Ran Away

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2009, 03:56:25 AM »
No flaws?? He is black.
u bad   lol

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2009, 04:05:01 AM »
He had no flaws?, yeh he was smaller then Yates, but Yates had flaws..

No one has no flaws!!.. being naturally small is a flaw!.. ronnie’s calves are naturally weak so why do we blame him for having naturally weak calves and don’t blame shawn for being naturally small? Bodybuilding is a genetics sports!..

Yes all shawn’s body parts were good but one important point is that non of them was the best!!.. he had great back but dorian’s back was better, he had good average arms not as some one like lee priest, his quads were good but not as good as nasser or cormier, his shoulders were good but not good beside someone like levrone.. etc..

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2009, 05:12:20 AM »

Actually in Steeve Reeves book he says for every 1 inch you add 5 pounds , so add 15 pounds to Ray's weight bringing him to 220 pounds

and do you realize what a 17-27 pound advantage in muscular bulk is? look at the difference between Dorian from 92-93 with 17 pounds , either way Dorian has a huge advantage in muscular bulk so Shawn's still at a disadvantage

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2009, 05:17:26 AM »
I'm not. the man doesn't have a clue. ::)

I don't have a clue? you're so pathetic you'll agree with anyone as long as it give you an chance to TRY and make me look bad , I don't blame you though I made you look stupid for a very long time you're always looking for revenge hence why you follow me around

even entertaining his 10 pound per inch theory , Dorian still has a clear advantage in muscular bulk so either way you're still and idiot and Shawn is still deficient in part of the judging criteria in which YOU don't know anything about , either way Hulkster = FAIL  ;)

1994 was a close contest ........................ ........................ for second , Dorian destroyed everyone

NarcissisticDeity

• Getbig V
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2009, 05:19:39 AM »
Dorian wasn't even close to being 262 pounds in 1996. He claimed to be in his mid 250's, but I believe he was less. He looked FAR thinner than his 1993 physique, where he supposedly weighed the same.

he was listed as 257 pounds and he did look smaller than usual and flat especially in the quads

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2009, 06:07:16 AM »
Actually in Steeve Reeves book he says for every 1 inch you add 5 pounds , so add 15 pounds to Ray's weight bringing him to 220 pounds

and do you realize what a 17-27 pound advantage in muscular bulk is? look at the difference between Dorian from 92-93 with 17 pounds , either way Dorian has a huge advantage in muscular bulk so Shawn's still at a disadvantage

The real calculation is to add 5 pounds for every inch under 6'0" and every 1" over 6'0" you're adding 10 pounds. Either way, the weight really does have little to no relevance seeing guys like Flex Wheeler according to you had far less muscle than Kevin Levrone, seeing Flex at his best was 227-232 pounds and was a full inch taller. Kevin at his best was around 248-253 pounds. My point is, you can't always base your judging criteria on bodyweight, seeing added bodyweight doesn't always equate to quality. The whole QUANTITY over QUALITY game, which we've seen too much of in the last decade.

Look at at Arnold S. At the 1975 Mr. Olympia Arnold weighed 227 pounds at 6'1.5", yet he probably had more quality muscle than Lou Ferrigno who outweighed him by 40 pounds onstage that year. Do you see what I'm saying?

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2009, 06:10:25 AM »
No one has no flaws!!.. being naturally small is a flaw!.. ronnie’s calves are naturally weak so why do we blame him for having naturally weak calves and don’t blame shawn for being naturally small? Bodybuilding is a genetics sports!..

Yes all shawn’s body parts were good but one important point is that non of them was the best!!.. he had great back but dorian’s back was better, he had good average arms not as some one like lee priest, his quads were good but not as good as nasser or cormier, his shoulders were good but not good beside someone like levrone.. etc..

Sheriff you are confusing me please explain

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2009, 06:32:35 AM »
Shawn is just too small to stand next to Yates.

Mr Nobody

• Getbig V
  • Falcon gives us new knowledge every single day.
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2009, 06:33:49 AM »
Shawn is just too small to stand next to Yates.
Yes 8)

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2009, 07:36:58 AM »
Sean Rey never won the Olympia because he would not play along.  He just couldn't shut the fuk up.

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2009, 07:43:22 AM »
it was the "Mass monster era". smaller guys had no fucking chance in the line up. I'm glad things are changing this time around
Get Big, or Die Trying

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #72 on: September 12, 2009, 07:57:06 AM »
it was the "Mass monster era". smaller guys had no fucking chance in the line up. I'm glad things are changing this time around
Good old days

andreisdaman

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2009, 08:01:31 AM »
Flaws? height these contests are for the genetic elite he was 5'7" , muscular bulk 205 pounds isn't that spectacular even for someone his height , he had a long torso and short legs , he had high calves , narrow clavicles , no back width

awesome bodybuilder no doubts but don't claim he had no flaws , you can argue all you want if his type of physique should be the ideal in which a Mr Olympia should represent but that's a matter of semantics , Dorian destroyed him utterly as well as everyone else in 1995

totally disagree...shawn was definitely robbed a few times..I attribute it to jealously and people simply not liking the guy......he had a very pleasing physique.....I really believe that people and judges didn't like shawn because he was outspoken and cocky..and they didn't give him the Olympia to keep him in his place....can you imagine his cockiness if he had ACTUALLY WON????

Danimal77

• Getbig V
  • Yo Adrian
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2009, 01:18:24 PM »
Size for the sake of size does NOT always equal quality. Every bodybuilder in the last decade feels they need to be between 250-300 pounds at 5'8"-5'10" and we've seen that this does NOT equal quality. Jay GUTLER anyone?

Guys like Labrada, Ray, Benfatto, Zane, Robinson, Wheeler, Coe, Paris, etc, were ALL quality physiques.