Author Topic: Freddie Roach on Anderson Silva-plus vid of him training at Wildcard Gym  (Read 1975 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
World famous Boxing trainer--and trainer of Manny Pacquiao--Freddie Roach recently sat down with Scott Dryden of ProFighting-fans.com to discuss the upcoming boxing fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao's upcoming fight with Miguel Angel Cotto, and also UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva's boxing skills when compared with some of the elite names in the business.

Full Interview Freddie Roach Interview: Freddie Roach Boxing & MMA Trainer

Quote:
SD- I’m interested in your opinion of UFC Middleweight Champion Anderson Silva?

FR- He is a talented guy. I worked with him a couple of times. He told me he was pretty good at MMA but sucked at boxing. He was very humble. He is one of those guys in the gym that only gives 30-40% because he knows what he is capable of. He boxed a couple of times in my gym. He didn’t hurt anyone and no one hurt him of course. When I saw the way he fought Forrest Griffin, the way he measured him; his boxing skills are a lot better than people give him credit for. I don’t know if he could beat Roy Jones or not but I tell you he would give him a run. He is a great fighter, he knows distance and he is very intelligent.

SD- In the world of MMA, Silva’s hand speed and head movement are incredible. How do you think they measure up to the elite boxers?

FR- He is right there with the top guys. When he comes over and boxes with the top guys he does very well. He is really fluid. There are a couple of things he needs to work on. He likes to lay on the ropes a little bit and gets up a little too high. He reminds me of James Toney when he is on the ropes. We were working on that. He is easy to work with and has a great work ethic. He is a great fighter all around.

Predictions
 40/61

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
Re: Freddie Roach on Anderson Silva-plus vid of him training at Wildcard Gym
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 06:08:25 PM »
Roach is the guy who said Arlovski could fight a heavy weight boxer so his opinion is suspect.  Anderson Silva drops his hands a lot and a well trained, upper level boxer will take advantage of that by knocking his ass out.  Gloves  size also makes the difference.   With the larger gloves, the boxers he fights will keep coming.

Finally, judging Silva on his victory over Griffin is foolish.  Griffin was made for Silva, slow, plodding with little punching power.  Basically, Griffin has the ability of a punching bag.
A

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
I think roy would toy around with silva and I'm by no means a RJJ fan..

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 08:47:23 PM »
Roach is the guy who said Arlovski could fight a heavy weight boxer so his opinion is suspect.  Anderson Silva drops his hands a lot and a well trained, upper level boxer will take advantage of that by knocking his ass out.  Gloves  size also makes the difference.   With the larger gloves, the boxers he fights will keep coming.

I don't doubt Freddie's opinion at all, Arlovski's chin is probably better off in a sport with bigger gloves and to be fair Freddie never told Arlo to throw a flying knee.  As for Anderson Silva, he is sparring a three time California State Golden gloves champion, and newly turned pro right there, although Roy would still pick him apart.
Predictions
 40/61

Pecs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:37:25 AM »
Silva was pulling his punches and holding back a lot..... his sparring parther on the other hand seems to be looking for a KO!
His sparring parther was gasing in the last 2 rounds.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 08:30:36 AM »
Silva was pulling his punches and holding back a lot..... his sparring parther on the other hand seems to be looking for a KO!
His sparring parther was gasing in the last 2 rounds.
correct...
!